User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 13 May 2004, 05:44   #1
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Drive G is using MS-DOS compatability file system

I get this message under My Computer Properties/Performance

Drive G: is the last partition of a brand new 200GB HDD, freshly formatted with nothing on it, all the other partitions on this drive are fine, as is the other drive (which has not been partitioned).

Does anyone know how i can rid myself of this?

I ask because it says this can adversely affect my systems performace, and i have noticed sluggishness during transferring files across partitions and HDD's and i have no doubt it will start to get on my nerves given time.

(Incase it matters, i just installed a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Digital soundcard as well, tho it was just before the new HDD was installed and i never noticed anything wrong pre new-HDD.)
Unread 13 May 2004, 07:27   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Re: Drive G is using MS-DOS compatability file system

where can you check this in WinXP?

how slow is it exactly? the outer most region or the last partition in a drive (if you got several) tends do be much slower than the inner portion. Use Sisoft and bench using the file system benchmark and compare the inner most partition and outer most. can you give a break down of your HDD partitions?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 07:33   #3
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Win98se :")

C: 10GB
(D: 40GB (different HDD))
E: 80GB
F: 50.5GB
G: 50.5GB

I cant find a working download of SiSoft (Sandra, i presume?).
Unread 13 May 2004, 07:42   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://www.wintrouble.net/discus/mes...html?973965203

or

http://www.infinisource.com/techfile...atibility.html

?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 08:02   #5
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

I tried the second earlier, but the registry doesnt contain whats stated, and i've been through the check list of the first and anything that seems to apply is ruled out later in the same document. :(

edit: i'm gonna go through the microsoft troubleshooting link that was with those links.
Unread 13 May 2004, 12:29   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

From what I can remember of my win98 days, it sometimes gets upset if you've formatted it with FAT16 rather than FAT32.
Check which you used.

Oh yeah, and upgrade damnit!
Unread 13 May 2004, 20:11   #7
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Bah, nothing seems to work. :/

I reformatted the partition and am currently running a surface scan via scandisk, which is nearly finished. The message is still there after the initial reformatting. I used FDISK to check the logical DOS drives on the partition and it said all three were FAT32.
Unread 13 May 2004, 20:30   #8
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

then it is actaully possible that win98 just got confused because there were so many parts to that HD, I know win98se is capable of supporting 3 partitions on a decently big HD (120gb, 1 partition @ 10gb, 1 @ 70gb and 1 @ 40gb) tough

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 22:23   #9
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Hope thats it. :)
Unread 14 May 2004, 17:16   #10
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

probably a 98SE bug.

stick xp on it, you wont regret it
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 15 May 2004, 18:35   #11
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Drive G is using MS-DOS compatability file system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
how slow is it exactly? the outer most region or the last partition in a drive (if you got several) tends do be much slower than the inner portion.
Oh, really? How would that come? If you take a spinning disk, wouldn't the "data rate" on the outer most region increase? What's the reason / technical cause behind this? Does it affect you by a significant percentage? (Although I do remember I heard it would be good to have your windows-swap-file at the beginning of your HDD).

From what I remember, MS-DOS Compatibility Mode for one of your Harddisks is REALLY BAD (= slow as hell) and you should DEFENITELY get rid of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
stick xp on it, you wont regret it
Well, he might, if he likes security. Win98 seems like a fortress nowadays. Doesn't get affected by Blaster / Sasser / Phatbot / [add vicious next-generation-worm here].
And, it uses less system resources. On a Pentium II 233 Mhz with 64MB RAM let's say, you'd soon lose the fun on XP.

My hints: Well, try to find out WHAT'S the reason of your problem. Look up the description of this DOS Compatibility somwhere in sysmte properties. Does it give you a driver name?
Have you installed chipset drivers of your mainboard? IDE / ATA controllers?
Does your BIOS support 200GB disk drives?
Check your BIOS settings anyway: Are all IDE channels set to AUTO detection? Is DMA / UDMA enabled? Are UDMA and PIO set to Auto?

Make sure everthing uses FAT32, as FAT16 sucks for anything > 2GB or > Win95. But apparently you did.

Try some Windows 98 SE updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Check your autoexec.bat and config.sys ^^
It just might be the SoundBlaster Live! DOS driver, whatever.
Unread 17 May 2004, 07:50   #12
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
My hints: Well, try to find out WHAT'S the reason of your problem.
Trying.

Quote:
Look up the description of this DOS Compatibility somwhere in sysmte properties. Does it give you a driver name?
The only place it exists is under the 'performace' tab after a right-click on the My Computer icon.

Took a screenie of it.

Quote:
Have you installed chipset drivers of your mainboard? IDE / ATA controllers?
Does your BIOS support 200GB disk drives?
Chipset drivers: Yes;
200GB support: No idea - i shall check the manual when i have time tonight.

Quote:
Check your BIOS settings anyway: Are all IDE channels set to AUTO detection? Is DMA / UDMA enabled? Are UDMA and PIO set to Auto?
I looked in the BIOS, and saw very little to do with IDE, UDMA, PIO, DMA and UDMA - i'll have to dig out my manual tonight andlook further into this.

Quote:
Make sure everthing uses FAT32, as FAT16 sucks for anything > 2GB or > Win95. But apparently you did.
Check - i think. I used FDISK to partition the drive, and formatted each of them in DOS, except G: which i forgot and did in Windows.

edit: clicking on the'Properties' of each drive confirms they're all FAT-32.

Quote:
Try some Windows 98 SE updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
Yeah, got those.

Quote:
Check your autoexec.bat and config.sys ^^
It just might be the SoundBlaster Live! DOS driver, whatever.
The only thing in the autoexec.bat is:

Code:
SET Path=%Path%
mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
And the config.sys:

Code:
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
Thanks for the help, its very much appreciated.

Last edited by Apothos; 17 May 2004 at 08:22.
Apothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2004, 11:23   #13
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
Oh, really? How would that come? If you take a spinning disk, wouldn't the "data rate" on the outer most region increase? What's the reason / technical cause behind this? Does it affect you by a significant percentage? (Although I do remember I heard it would be good to have your windows-swap-file at the beginning of your HDD).
test it yourself, do HDD through-put benchs and compare inner partitions to outer partitions, with several partitions and large size discs (60gb+)

inner partition is far faster than the outer partitions always, i thought this was common knowledge.

Technical reason - I don't recall the exact definition, but something to do with the HDD head not needing to travel very far on the inner portion of the disc thus seek rates are far higher than compared to the outer portion, also there is alot more data to search through on the outside of the drive.

I'm sure someone else can explain it better, but its a physical matter.

The swap file is recommended on the inner partition (beginning of drive) for this reason, faster seek rate.

For comparision, on my 120gb ATA100 Seagate 7200.7 Plus, inner 8gb is rated at 47mb/sec, farthest partition of 30gb it drops down to 35mb/sec.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote