User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Jun 2005, 13:22   #1
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
The Technicalities of Formal-wear

Ok, I'm expecting yahwe to be the most help, but anyone else is welcome to contribute.
I went and hired myself a tuxedo for the ball I'm attending next week, and when trying it on once home, was slightly confused by all the buttons.

Firstly, the cummerbund. It has a loop on the back that looks like it should go over a button. The trousers-button is off-centre, so it looks weird if I use that, but there is also a button inside the trousers, on the left pocket that is central, but could just be a spare button?

Secondly, the jacket. It has one button-hole on the left-side, but two buttons on the right, one inside and one outside the jacket, at the same place. Which one should be used, and which way should it go through the button-hole? (outside-->in, or inside--->out?)

Thirdly, shirt cuffs. There are so many buttons and holes that I'm just very confused. I don't have any cuff-links, but could get some if this would make things easier? At the end of the cuff (where normal shirt buttons are) there is a hole on each section, and one of the holes has a button at either end. Higher up the wrist is a smaller button on one section, and a button-hole on the other side. (I assume that bit just buttons normally, and is there to allow for the rolling up of sleeves or something?)

Think that's everything for now...
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 13:24   #2
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: The Technicalities of Formal-wear

I don't know a thing about tuxedos, except that cufflinks are sexy in my opinion.
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 15:32   #3
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
Firstly, the cummerbund. It has a loop on the back that looks like it should go over a button. The trousers-button is off-centre, so it looks weird if I use that, but there is also a button inside the trousers, on the left pocket that is central, but could just be a spare button?
I've never worn a cummerbund, so I can't help there, sorry

Quote:
Secondly, the jacket. It has one button-hole on the left-side, but two buttons on the right, one inside and one outside the jacket, at the same place. Which one should be used, and which way should it go through the button-hole? (outside-->in, or inside--->out?)
The outside button goes through the button-hole.

I imagine the inside one is just a spare. The dinner jacket would look odd if the inside button went through the hole.

Quote:
Thirdly, shirt cuffs. There are so many buttons and holes that I'm just very confused. I don't have any cuff-links, but could get some if this would make things easier? At the end of the cuff (where normal shirt buttons are) there is a hole on each section, and one of the holes has a button at either end. Higher up the wrist is a smaller button on one section, and a button-hole on the other side. (I assume that bit just buttons normally, and is there to allow for the rolling up of sleeves or something?)
Fold the cuff ends back so that there are 4 holes altogether at the end of each sleeve (so on one side, 2 holes in line, and on the other side, the other 2 holes). Otherwise you'd find the sleeves are way too long for your arm. It should become apparent what to do when you put the thing on.

A cufflink goes through these four holes, holding your sleeves together, with the design on the outside and the clip on the inside of your arm.

I'm sure Yahwe can explain this better than I have (and enlighten us about the cummerbund).
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 15:45   #4
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Only fat people wear cummerbunds.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 16:06   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
Only fat people wear cummerbunds.
As most cummerbunds are a one-fit-all kind of deal, I suspect the opposite is true.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 16:58   #6
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Ok, I'm expecting yahwe to be the most help, but anyone else is welcome to contribute.
I went and hired myself a tuxedo
no you didn't

you hired a dinner jacket and remembered which country gave birth to you.

Quote:
cumberbunds are silk belts that join at the small of your back.
my cumberbund has a shall hoop that comes out of the very middle (towards the body) this lets it be slipped onto a fly button on the trousers. its not essential, but it stops the cumberbund 'ridding up' because there should never be any shirt visible below the cumberbund.

the button by the pocket sounds like a spare

be aware there might also be buttons inside the waistband for braces to button on to.

Quote:
i need to know if its single breasted or double breasted jacket.
single breasted button much like a shirt does. with a double one side of the jacket (depends on the cut as to which) will go behind the other side and button onto an inside button, the remaining side then crosses over to button externally.

Quote:
Thirdly, shirt cuffs. There are so many buttons and holes that I'm just very confused. I don't have any cuff-links, but could get some if this would make things easier? At the end of the cuff (where normal shirt buttons are) there is a hole on each section,
you need cufflinks.
just spread the cuff out and fold back. cufflinks go on the outside of the arm.

do not wear 'bar cufflinks' these are tasteless and clunky. get cufflinks where the bottom is the same as the top these are called 'chain cufflinks'

unsurprisingly gentlemen do move their arms.

Quote:
and one of the holes has a button at either end.
this is just a style thing. the shirt tailor decided to put them there

frankly i don't like them. but others might.

Quote:
Higher up the wrist is a smaller button on one section, and a button-hole on the other side. (I assume that bit just buttons normally, and is there to allow for the rolling up of sleeves or something?)
yep.
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 17:02   #7
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

It's single-breasted, so I just ignore the button that's on the inside?
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 17:07   #8
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

yep
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 17:15   #9
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

Thank you Yahwe, you're wonderful
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 17:59   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I bought a new dinner suit the other day.

Nothing to do with the topic at hand (except tangentially), just a little one sentence anecdote.

To enliven this post, have a fact: "tangent" is from the latin "tangere", "to touch".
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 18:28   #11
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

so why do we call the sine of an angle divided by the cosine of the same angle the tangent of it? (especially as their gradients are always orthagonal...)
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 18:37   #12
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

"The word "tangent" also has an important related meaning as a line or plane which touches a given curve or solid at a single point."

???
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 18:43   #13
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: The Technicalities of Formal-wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
so why do we call the sine of an angle divided by the cosine of the same angle the tangent of it? (especially as their gradients are always orthagonal...)
The trigonometric and geometric usages of tangent are related.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 20:28   #14
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i dont have a dinner jacket
:-((
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 20:49   #15
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I've worn a cummerbund. They're actually not too bad (I had to wear it when I went with my gf to this X0th anniversary of her local amateur dramatics group she was part of, I was one of like 3 guys out of 30 wearing one). You sort of get used to it, though I don't see the point. I'd prefer a kilt and a Sgian Dubh, with a sporran. At least I could stab irritating people then. I don't have the hips to really bring it off though *apparently*
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 03:21   #16
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

It's a dark red, as is the bow-tie, and matches my "friend's" accessories (shoes + bag + jewellery), so all is good.
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 09:18   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
Well Hello There Mister "I don't derail threads. Oh no. Never"!!
The thread was over.
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 09:25   #18
Nantoz

Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nantoz has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
The thread was over.
Where is the fat lady, and what did she sing?
Nantoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 10:11   #19
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantoz
Where is the fat lady, and what did she sing?
banned for porn
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 19:47   #20
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
banned for porn
Where's the porn?

I don't know of a cameraman on the planet skilled or brave enough to attempt pornograpic shots with that woman.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote