User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 31 Mar 2003, 14:47   #1
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Jingoism adds happy plus joy bonus to opined results with mega zoom patriotism

Useless Generation! Dumb Flag Scum!

Yadda Yadda.

Patriotism is one of the dumbest "isms" known to mankind. It's a convenient way to gather people together. I'm not proud to be British, nor ashamed. I'm just British.

So I resent being labelled a traitor because I don't support the war. The current government line is that "anybody who is anti-war is unpatriotic, because they're not supporting their fellow Britons in the Gulf".

Bollocks.

With this line of thinking, by supporting the war simply because our troops are involved, the government has a mandate to attack anybody it feels like. Any objectors are labeled "traitors" and dismissed now.

I notice the polls tend to be "Do you support our troops against Saddam?" rather than "Do you want our troops to come back quickly and suffer no losses?"

The sad thing is... most of the voters don't see through this jingoistic trickery.

What sucked most was that Blair claimed Brits had been executed, when in fact they hadn't. That's nice... our beloved leader trying to score cheap propoganda points off some families' tragedy. Now one of the families is saying "Oh they *may* have been executed" but another says that the govt asked them to pretend they had been afterall.

</rant>

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 14:54   #2
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
charles kennedy said today that although he doesnt support hte idea of war, he supports the british troops out there

thats fair enough isnt it ?

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 14:59   #3
Mong
Forever Delayed

Yes, Kennedy is the only one of the leaders who actually says this. I might even have to vote LibDem if they continue to suprise me by making sense and appearing competent!

I fully support British troops. I wish them all the best luck and hope as many as possible come back as soon as possible.

My best mate's boyf is over there, as is another mate. I'm worried about both of them. Doesn't mean I have to support this war though.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 15:01   #4
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
im gonna keep an eye on their european policies first..

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 15:44   #5
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
I might even have to vote LibDem if they continue to suprise me by making sense and appearing competent!
Who else would you vote for?

I doubt you're gonna change anyone's opinions with a rant like this. If you want to convince people who think in terms of "patriotism", you need to make lots of emotional appeals as to why you love this great country or whatever. Your rhetoric skills suck! Unless you're aiming at angry ranty conspiracy theory people.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 15:47   #6
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
yah im getting abit...worried about all the 'patriot' arguments that are coming up in britian, that used to be the 'american thing', i had thought that we were capable of questioning the decisions of the goverment without

'YOU'RE ANTI BRITISH, IF YOU LIVED IN xxxx YOUD BE SORRY, IF YOU HATE IT WHY DONT YOU LEAVE, YOU SHOULD BE PROUD TO BE BRITISH, SUPPORT THE TROOPS THEY'RE DYING FOR YOUR FREEDOM, NOW BUY THAT FLAG AND WAVE'

The sinking of the General Belgrano is a case in point, regardless of wheter you think is should have been sunk or not we did at least question thatcher's choice in that instance, despite the ship being there to kill british troops.

Ill be honest, i wasnt really ever completely for this war, but i thought what the hey, they'll all surrender and it'll all be good, i dont wish any harm on the british soilders, im just beginning to think that they shouldnt be there. Besides, it isnt a conscript army, they chose the army as a profession, i dont see why i should automatically support them because of this.
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 15:55   #7
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Slidey
charles kennedy said today that although he doesnt support hte idea of war, he supports the british troops out there
What does this even mean?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 16:00   #8
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Who else would you vote for?
[Sidenote]

One might do as 16800 ~ Finns did in the Finnish government elections this spring. Tony "Viikinki" Halme (Viikinki translates to Viking, obviously) receveid the sixth most votes out of all applicants (yes, that is 16800 roughly, remember Finland isn't a large country populationwise), and thus now represents the Finnish people in the Finnish government. He is a member of the political party of Perussuomalaiset (they translate their name to True Finns - that should tell you enough), causing an amazing 200% raise to their total amount of received votes compared to the previous elections. That's, their received votes got tripled. TRIPLED. Now, who is this Tony Halme (Viikinki)?

Tony Halme's profile here

An interview on Halme

The expert suggest that the reason to Halme's success in the political field is the fact that before Halme people who were pissed off at the system used to vote Donald Duck, but now that there's a REAL Donald Duck on the list of applicants, they could as well have voted him. Way cool. His party received two seats in the government, that is, one in addition to his seat.

People really don't deserve democracy. Another solution should be found, one that would work better for the modern society.

Ps. what astonishes me most, is the fact that in every media, even in the government, his name is refered as Tony Halme (Viikinki) even if the Viikinki is merely nickname, or an addon he has received during his career.

[/sidenote]
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 16:02   #9
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
I haven't heard any leaders claiming that not supporting the war is being unpatriotic
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 16:04   #10
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Tietäjä
People really don't deserve democracy. Another solution should be found, one that would work better for the modern society.
I dont understand how you derived this statement from the facts you gave.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 16:07   #11
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
I dont understand how you derived this statement from the facts you gave.
I didn't derive it from the facts I gave. I've been cooking it in my head for years now. The facts are merely in supporting role.

I forgot to note, by the way, that the person mentioned above was the American Heavyweight boxing champion, but I can't remember the year.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 19:17   #12
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You forgot to mention a country is merely a patch of land.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 10:47   #13
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
I haven't heard any leaders claiming that not supporting the war is being unpatriotic
Blair and Blunkett have both "hinted" at it, Blunkett even went further in his attack on Cook (Frost on Sunday I think?)

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:02   #14
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Tietäjä

countries should be run like companies. with regulatory bodies to keep things in check. democracy has a place to certain extents, but it's powers should be limited.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:05   #15
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
countries should be run like companies. with regulatory bodies to keep things in check. democracy has a place to certain extents, but it's powers should be limited.
They have, it is called "Government"

Quote:
gov·ern·ment ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gvrn-mnt)
n.
The act or process of governing, especially the control and administration of public policy in a political unit.
The office, function, or authority of a governing individual or body.
Exercise of authority in a political unit; rule.
The agency or apparatus through which a governing individual or body functions and exercises authority.
A governing body or organization, as:
The ruling political party or coalition of political parties in a parliamentary system.
The cabinet in a parliamentary system.
The persons who make up a governing body.
A system or policy by which a political unit is governed.
Administration or management of an organization, business, or institution.
Which is controlled by the "Legislature"

Quote:
leg·is·la·ture ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lj-slchr)
n.
An officially elected or otherwise selected body of people vested with the responsibility and power to make laws for a political unit, such as a state or nation.
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:07   #16
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Judge
They have, it is called "Government"
the difference being, boards are generally chosen according to proven ability, wheras governments are chosen according to public whim.

Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:10   #17
Judge
Doh!

Quote:
the difference being, boards are generally chosen according to proven ability, wheras governments are chosen according to public whim.
Indeed, the Board of Enron did an excellent Job of regulating themselves.

Or maybe Barings Bank did a better Job.
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 11:16   #18
Radical Edward

Quote:
Indeed, the Board of Enron did an excellent Job of regulating themselves.

Quote:
with regulatory bodies to keep things in check.
incidentally your examples don't really offer a comparison.

Unread 1 Apr 2003, 12:03   #19
Mong
Forever Delayed

As "discussions going totally off topic" go, this one is pretty impressive!

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 1 Apr 2003, 12:21   #20
Judge
Doh!

Quote:
incidentally your examples don't really offer a comparison.
they do in that the proposition was that "That Experts Appointed on the basis of ability" could do a better job?

The failure was with the regulator in not catching the problems sooner, but the Regulators are appointed on the basis of ability?

So where does that leave us?
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 01:31   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Nick Leeson was on the board?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote