User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 13 May 2003, 10:33   #1
Silva baby
sexy honky chic

Silva baby is an unknown quantity at this point
Alliances- their role and newbies

OK this is just my opinion on the idea above, but its open to discussion! and i reliease that many of you feel PA is a dying game and this is a discussion where i want to see if anyone has any idea to attract new ppl inorder for the game to grow prosperously once more!

Basically in the newbie thread about N00bs anoynomous, i commented how public channels are a conduit for alliances to teach newbies the game, or even allow for newbies to experience new play. Jester disagreed sayin resources are too wideranging to allow for public channels to be such a conduit and many ppl backed the idea. However i see many high profile names such as Zhil getting into high profile alliances through the public channel. I just want to see what othe rppl think, how can alliances contribute to the bringing up or the growing up phase of newbies? i agree that public channels may not be an ideal place where newbies would be prone to bursting out coords and other assorted bad facts that would be against rules. But in what ways can a alliance contribute to the growth of this game? I DON'T want to hear about ur alliances are blockin so the game is dead etc........ i just want to hear bout what alliances can do, ie their public channels ,programs? anything?

Ex-Silver BC
Forever in Elysium

i have [FAITH] in myself, [FAITH] in my galaxy, and [FAITH] in my alliance
do you?

[FAITH][SILVER]
Silva baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2003, 10:41   #2
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
Personally I believe public channels will never be a good place for noobs to get to know people and get an alliance and learn the game etc. The best way is to come in with a mate, preferably an experienced mate.

Way back in R3 on the Champ Manager boards a few threads were started about this game and over 100 people signed up and played, some obviously had been in the game before, but 90+ people were signed up, and if it can happen there it can happen anywhere. And a few of these developed into top players, there's been several top 100 players and members/officers/HC of the top alliances.

If it can happen here it can happen elsewhere, and just before the start of R10 I'll post another thread on there too.

Bringing in real life mates is also a good idea, I'll be bringing a few more in R10, and lots of people can (and will) do the same.

So, in conclusion, public chans smell, and the way to bring noobs in is to bring them in yourself, instead of waiting for them.
Unread 13 May 2003, 10:43   #3
Anakin
Stealth & Shadows

Anakin is on a distinguished road
IMHO > Newbie recruitment.

I think the only way you can hope/expect major established alliance's to go out of their way to recruit 'newbies' ... purely from a security outlook, is to bring back feeder alliance's in a big way.

It was a popular solution to the ' junior ' alliance back in r4 .. wrath did it very well in later rounds, but it still required a min vouch count... however the way in witch is was run would have allowed for 'newbies' to also take part with minimum security risk, as it was (fully) ditached from the main alliance... (well... ish).

Such is the only way you can expect 'big name' alliance's to even think about letting 'newbies' who have no way of getting vouchs, into their core's.

I myself was recruited onto the big scean via such a group, the Illuminati's Anoubis program, as i remmber it, it was shuned as been a 'newbie wing' at the time, and classed as nothing more.... that newbie wing's core went on to rebuild the Illuminati and do some great things the following round.

I dont want my post or infact this thread to turn into a ' my alliance rocks ' thread by any means ... however Anoubis was a prime example of how it ... could work.

The problem ofc been .. out of the orignal 120 or so Anoubis, only 30-40 of us actualy made it to the next round... mass bootings / vetting came pre-round, leaving many 'newbies' and veteran alike stranded for the comeing round... (the fact most ended up in WP(O) is another matter in its self) heh.

I think its safe to say for the most part, public channel recruitment isnt the way to go ... but it does have its rare moments of success.

Anyway.. my 2 pennys.

Last edited by Anakin; 13 May 2003 at 10:48.
Anakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2003, 11:59   #4
Tomatoman

Tomatoman is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree that public channels arent very suitable for newbies.
But random galaxies are.
I mean with that, that if the newby is lucky and gets in a galaxy with any experience players who will teach the newby the tricks of the game. In that way new players who are active and want to play and learn the game will be most of the time recruited by the alliance of the experienced player.
Advantages are that those newbies can be formed with the way the alliance want them to think about the game and they are loyal, at least the alliance may hope that

But to gain a real boost in players, maybe jolt have to think about
advertise in monthly lecture for games or some.
Thinking about the +120k players from r3 and r4 still gives a thrill,
even when those rounds were full of multis. But at the moment I dont think Jolt dont give a **** about it cause it will gain an income about one million euros/dollars a round, which is very profitableI guess.
Tomatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2003, 13:08   #5
Anakin
Stealth & Shadows

Anakin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomatoman
I But at the moment I dont think Jolt dont give a **** about it cause it will gain an income about one million euros/dollars a round, which is very profitableI guess.
Tbh.. i doubt after server costs and fruad costs, Jolt are makeing a great deal out of this.

Any transaction under $5 (is it $5?) isnt worth their time, and were not paying a great deal more than that... and their isnt a great deal of us left anyway...

Planetarion user-base ... around 5k atm ( Planets: 4,843 ) , take into acount the multi's and farms and i think were looking closer to 3.5k players max.

Costly game to run this is.
Anakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2003, 14:13   #6
Ditcher

Ditcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Heh. If this is costly game to run we can only imagine how costly the actual games are......