User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 Mar 2003, 13:42   #1
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Talking I've been called up for military service, ladies

And I am due to take a health inspection ASAP, and fill up a ton of forms (actually, one form, but small print, and lots of check-in-boxes) and return them to the Finnish Military, with the health papers, in a few weeks time. September the 25th I am to report in a local sports center (ironic, heh), at 9:00 sharp, to receive details about my service in the Finnish army. Unless I report I am unable to serve in the military at this time of my life*, I will be given a date in 2004´ summer or 2005´ spring (July and January, respectively) when I am to report in the military area I'm being sent to serve in. If I have any wishes about my duty in the army, or the place where I wish to serve, I am to report them in the form given to me. Of course, I can avoid military service by taking the civil service, wich is considered dishonorable, and bad form around here - men are expected to serve in the military, and many firms give you points for having served well (officer ie.) in the military. Fun, ain't it?

*If I wish to push my military service, I must send then an application form, wich I don't have, ASAP (there's a date in the paper).

I also got a bucketfull of propaganda, stuff to read, they say. So, a pioneer, marine, ranger, or a pilot? Or a MP? Wich one do I wish to be?

Darn I love obligatory military service. It might be fun though.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 13:46   #2
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold
Re: I've been called up for military service, ladies

Quote:
Originally posted by Tietäjä
And I am due to take a health inspection ASAP, and fill up a ton of forms (actually, one form, but small print, and lots of check-in-boxes) and return them to the Finnish Military, with the health papers, in a few weeks time. September the 25th I am to report in a local sports center (ironic, heh), at 9:00 sharp, to receive details about my service in the Finnish army. Unless I report I am unable to serve in the military at this time of my life*, I will be given a date in 2004´ summer or 2005´ spring (July and January, respectively) when I am to report in the military area I'm being sent to serve in. If I have any wishes about my duty in the army, or the place where I wish to serve, I am to report them in the form given to me. Of course, I can avoid military service by taking the civil service, wich is considered dishonorable, and bad form around here - men are expected to serve in the military, and many firms give you points for having served well (officer ie.) in the military. Fun, ain't it?

*If I wish to push my military service, I must send then an application form, wich I don't have, ASAP (there's a date in the paper).

I also got a bucketfull of propaganda, stuff to read, they say. So, a pioneer, marine, ranger, or a pilot? Or a MP? Wich one do I wish to be?

GO for pilot, you'll expend most of you duty time learning while the officers fly, and after the military you can be a commercial pilot.

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 13:47   #3
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
I didn't know you were so young :}

Hajoo aamuihis
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 13:50   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Pilot clearly - so long as you pass the required health checks (20/20 vision, good blood pressure, etc).
Sounds the most fun out of them all.

Unread 26 Mar 2003, 13:54   #5
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
You could always claim insanity, and would have a damn good case.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 13:57   #6
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Judge
You could always claim insanity, and would have a damn good case.
How would you know?

Idiot = yuo.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 13:59   #7
Judge
Doh!

Quote:
Originally posted by xtrasyn
How would you know?

Idiot = yuo.
The same way I know you cannot spell.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:00   #8
leknu
Ensign

leknu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Of course, I can avoid military service by taking the civil service, wich is considered dishonorable, and bad form around here - men are expected to serve in the military, and many firms give you points for having served well (officer ie.) in the military.
Correct term would be "civilian service" I guess... And and and you could always choose to totally refuse teh service and spend 6 months in jail instead
leknu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:01   #9
menth0l
dim like a fox

Quote:

I've changed my mind. I don't want you to **** off. I want you to keep posting these nuggets of comedy for all eternity.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:02   #10
Judge
Doh!

Quote:
Originally posted by menth0l
I've changed my mind.
Who ever told you, you had a mind to change was lying
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:04   #11
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Of course menth0l, how old DID you think I was, being a high-school kid? 25, eh?

Yes, it could be civilian service, wich is ****, and I don't want to sit in jail, wich is even more ****. Now, I could go for insanity wich would leave a permanent mark in my papers. Yes, that would be wise indeed.

Pilot sounds otherwise good, I'd get through the health and condition, I can do 3200 in cooper, but I'd have to serve in ****ing Lapland. And I live in Helsinki. That's 1000 kilometers.

MP Officer sounds good.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:11   #12
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Then you are truly truly a grave idiot, that takes decisions primarily infused by what you see.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:16   #13
sword

sword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these parts
If you charge through a crowded shopping centre with a sword hacking at passers-by, you will probably get out of doing the military service.

However, if you want to do the service, then I would suggest you chose an option that will enhance your prospects in whatever field you plan to chose after completion of duty.

Out of interest, what on earth is Finland doing with an army?
sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:21   #14
menth0l
dim like a fox

Quote:
Originally posted by sword

Out of interest, what on earth is Finland doing with an army?

Not attacking any random country that Bush tells us to, that's for sure.

Do you really want togo down this road?
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:26   #15
sword

sword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these partssword is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Not attacking any random country that Bush tells us to, that's for sure.

Do you really want togo down this road?
Im still none the wiser, though I note from their web site they have a boat and a truck. Maybe Tietäjä could be stationed on one of them?
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:31   #16
menth0l
dim like a fox

Quote:
Im still none the wiser, though I note from their web site they have a boat and a truck. Maybe Tietäjä could be stationed on one of them?

I ask again: are you sure you want to start with this? It will be boring and ****.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:33   #17
sword

Quote:
I ask again: are you sure you want to start with this? It will be boring and ****.
You have a good point, lets talk about something else - Finland Army r0x0rs etc!!
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:36   #18
menth0l
dim like a fox

Quote:
You have a good point, lets talk about something else - Finland Army r0x0rs etc!!

Add sword to Your Ignore List <--looking real tempting.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:37   #19
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
You get six months over there? Here, we just get 90 days, if we dont have a good reason, and its soo easy to slip throught..or at least, thats the word on the streets.
Just say you are a night-pisser (sheetwetter?) or that you like to smell on other guys poo.
Or, just say you have a problem whit authorothy.
Or something simmilar.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:38   #20
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Quote:
Add sword to Your Ignore List <--looking real tempting.
Oh, is he posting?
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:49   #21
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
hey Judge

Thats some nice trolling there

hoep you got 10 bux lol

band
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:49   #22
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
why the **** do the Finnish have a military ? They are quite close to England. We need to invade to stop them using any weapons we dont want them to!
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:52   #23
elefant
Commando

elefant is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Try to get into some sort of el. warfare or wathever its is called, a friend of mine was in unit like that and all they did was to jam radars and communications, spy and playing Death metal over the "enemies" communications.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 15:27   #24
Tietäjä
Good Son

Oh lord.

Sword, can you really be that dumb? Why do we need an army? No, there's no good reason for us to have an army, but hey, it's a tradition, and thus we have one. One could think that it's good to have SOME military in case of a conflict should emerge. We are neighbouring Russia, you know?

Now, as you started it, we're moving on to the British army. The British army is, presumably, five times larger than ours - make that ten times. Thus, it's budget drains a lot of funds. Now, what are the BRITS doing with an ARMY living in an ISLAND north of EUROPE, in the EASTERN EDGE of ATLANTIC OCEAN?

Afraid of Norwegians planning a raid on the English nation? Or, afraid of Americans planning on attacking Britain? Or, are the penguins a viable threat to the British wellfare? Or has the history taught the British people never to trust Germans? Oh, hell. The British army seems to exist purely for unprovoked offensive maneuvers. At least that's what the British Prime Minister in duty seems to think, drooling behind a baboon playing war. Pretty funny, ain't it? Now, if I don't recall incorrect, the UN grossly dislikes offensive warfare, especially the Brits, the Americans and the Australians are practicing in Iraq? Even if WE do have an ARMY, even if a SMALL one, in FINLAND, a relavitely SMALL but PEACEFUL, far from warmongering and bloodlusty, nation, with one of the worlds highest living standards (according to the human development index, HDI results, higher than the Britain), we DON'T use it to hunt shadows. At least hunt shadows because the big brother wants to do so.

By the way, the chem weapons plant the American soldiers found wasn't one after all. Maybe it was a mustard factory. Care to have some bacon or sausage with your mustard? Eh...

Yes, Kumnaa, you should plan an invasion here. Who knows if we have chemical weapons. Or nukes. I believe some of our festival foods may be concerned as biochemical weaponry there in Britain/US, the land of warmongering paranoids, eh?

Now, I did exaggerate a bit, and I deeply apologize every other British and American person excluding Sword, who, I believe, is Dutch. Darn, I should've noticed that before starting to attack the British system, but whattahell...
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 16:08   #25
sword

Quote:

Snip
Crikey!!

/sword runs for cover
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 16:13   #26
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
For those not "in the know," Sword is never serious, touchy buggers.

And Tietäjä, look into each one...everything has SOME application to the outside world, but some (infantry etc) are only applicable in leadership skills and work ethic (unless ofc you decide to be a professional mercenary or something, in which case, you should check out Executive Decisions over in Africa...not sure if they're recruiting but hey! they always need new people in Africa since the attrition rate has to be horrendous :P)
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 16:42   #27
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
its a slow day in a crap job...

Quote:
Oh lord.

Sword, can you really be that dumb? Why do we need an army? No, there's no good reason for us to have an army, but hey, it's a tradition, and thus we have one. One could think that it's good to have SOME military in case of a conflict should emerge. We are neighbouring Russia, you know?

Now, as you started it, we're moving on to the British army. The British army is, presumably, five times larger than ours - make that ten times. Thus, it's budget drains a lot of funds. Now, what are the BRITS doing with an ARMY living in an ISLAND north of EUROPE, in the EASTERN EDGE of ATLANTIC OCEAN?

well it was quite handy having an army/navy/airforce (from hereon refered to as 'army') in the falklands..

the british army has also been called upon in parts of the world such as the former yugoslavia amongst other places

Quote:

snip

ill pretend you didnt say all that crap. although i dislike tony blairs european policies he's got his iraqi one right

Quote:

Now, if I don't recall incorrect, the UN grossly dislikes offensive warfare, especially the Brits, the Americans and the Australians are practicing in Iraq?

whats worse, a dictator from a minority who kidnaps, tortures or kills his own people, or an 'offensive' force that removes that dictator?

Quote:

Even if WE do have an ARMY, even if a SMALL one, in FINLAND, a relavitely SMALL but PEACEFUL, far from warmongering and bloodlusty, nation, with one of the worlds highest living standards (according to the human development index, HDI results, higher than the Britain), we DON'T use it to hunt shadows. At least hunt shadows because the big brother wants to do so.

yawn. armies also do things like help stop the drug trade in colombia (at least the uk one does, finland?). The uk is never gonna get the highest hdi due to the size of the country, the fact that we have so many immigrants coming in per year and the fact that theres so little industrial jobs (not an exhaustive list)

Quote:

By the way, the chem weapons plant the American soldiers found wasn't one after all. Maybe it was a mustard factory. Care to have some bacon or sausage with your mustard? Eh...

what has finland ever done to try and get rid of chemical/biological weapons? or do you condone the usage of them on innocents?

Quote:

Yes, Kumnaa, you should plan an invasion here. Who knows if we have chemical weapons. Or nukes. I believe some of our festival foods may be concerned as biochemical weaponry there in Britain/US, the land of warmongering paranoids, eh?

Now, I did exaggerate a bit, and I deeply apologize every other British and American person excluding Sword, who, I believe, is Dutch. Darn, I should've noticed that before starting to attack the British system, but whattahell...
yawn

apologies for hte lack of sources etc. cba

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 16:53   #28
Pineapple
Banned

Pineapple is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

Do they make really really fat people do service?
Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 16:55   #29
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Going in the military is for losers. Real cool people sit at home behind the computer, drink coke, grow fat and harass people on the internet
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 16:57   #30
Ditcher

Ditcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Do they make really really fat people do service?
Yes. But they get b or c class rating. = even more boring service time. B class starts at around 100kg or so....
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 17:10   #31
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
not having military service is the #1 perk of living in scotland

Cue "your not a man until you do pointless strength related tasks" response.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 17:41   #32
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
not having military service is the #1 perk of living in scotland
This doesn't exactly make me want to move to Scotland, it has to be said...

Quote:
Cue "your not a man until you do pointless strength related tasks" response.
HAH !

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 18:18   #33
Tzencath

Tzencath is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Afraid of Norwegians planning a raid on the English nation?
well, they've done it before, so they're bound to do it again, so we better declare war just in case...
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 18:58   #34
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
So, a pioneer, marine, ranger, or a pilot? Or a MP?

There must be more choices than that. What are the other choices you have? Also, pioneer doesn't really sound like a military job. What does a pioneer do?
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 19:02   #35
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
my guess is he's looking for the word Engineer.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 19:50   #36
Ditcher

Ditcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually there is not a choice except for in which brigade to do the service. And inside them they basically pick someone there and other here. Of course we can give our own oppinion but "surprisingly" that doesnt weight too much. Oh and paratroopers and some other special unit people are selected via applications and tests.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 19:52   #37
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Texan
What does a pioneer do?
Pick and shovel soldier. Lowest of the low.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 20:01   #38
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
"So, what'd you do during Military Service?"
- "I was in pilot training. Had to do a lot of study, clean airplanes and stuff, and I got to fly a bit in the end. How about you?"
"I was with the ARMY RANGERS."

It just sounds better. What do they do anyway?
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 20:10   #39
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Meat
This doesn't exactly make me want to move to Scotland, it has to be said...
i should hope not.

Its no wonder scotland has a declining population.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 20:36   #40
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Move to Sweden dude. SUure, they call you to mönstring, but since only 30-40% get accepted and actually do time in the army, you'll be safe. I got out, blamed it on astma, which I don't have. They didn't even check.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 21:16   #41
GavGull
Here Today

GavGull is an unknown quantity at this point
Army Rangers.
GavGull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 21:46   #42
Pi-air
hurr!

Pi-air will become famous soon enoughPi-air will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
For those not "in the know," Sword is never serious, touchy buggers.

And Tietäjä, look into each one...everything has SOME application to the outside world, but some (infantry etc) are only applicable in leadership skills and work ethic (unless ofc you decide to be a professional mercenary or something, in which case, you should check out Executive Decisions over in Africa...not sure if they're recruiting but hey! they always need new people in Africa since the attrition rate has to be horrendous :P)
Did they change names, thought they were called Executive Outcomes?

Oh and on a sidenote, merc work can easily be found in London..
Pi-air is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 22:20   #43
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
Quote:

Afraid of Norwegians planning a raid on the English nation? Or, afraid of Americans planning on attacking Britain? Or, are the penguins a viable threat to the British wellfare? Or has the history taught the British people never to trust Germans?
Go read some history, specifically April to June 1982. That's one reason why we need an army.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 22:36   #44
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Chrism
Go read some history, specifically April to June 1982. That's one reason why we need an army.
Yes, I'm so glad my taxes go on keeping a few insane sheep farmers safe on the Malvinas.

ffs, they could have given everyone living there huge sums of money and they could have all bought mansions in Buenos Aries.

You might be able to justify having the army for Northern Ireland (hardly though), but the idea of keeping fifty thousand men under arms (or whatever it is) for protecting a stupid unjustified outpost thousands of miles away is insane.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 22:41   #45
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
It's somewhere between 3 and 5K I think in the Falklands. And the defeat helped bring down the junta, saving thousands of lives. I'd say it was worth it.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 22:48   #46
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
"So, what'd you do during Military Service?"
- "I was in pilot training. Had to do a lot of study, clean airplanes and stuff, and I got to fly a bit in the end. How about you?"
"I was with the ARMY RANGERS."

It just sounds better. What do they do anyway?
Rangers are basically elite infantrymen. They are somewhere between infantry and special forces.

I was an Army journalist.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 22:49   #47
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Chrism
It's somewhere between 3 and 5K I think in the Falklands. And the defeat helped bring down the junta, saving thousands of lives. I'd say it was worth it.
I was referring to the army in general. You said that one of the reasons we needed the army was the Falklands.

Also, the Junta would have fallen anyway. The esteem of the military was certainly wounded by the Falklands, but the decline had already occurred (due to economic downturn, etc) way before.

Still, even if that was the case, it's a dodgy reason for having an army. We shouldn't even be in posession of the Malvina's, as far as I can see. If we're justifying that in terms of "We helped deal with unsavoury third world regime" then we may as well annex part of China...
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 22:50   #48
Chrism
Governor General

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
We shouldn't even be in posession of the Malvina's, as far as I can see.
Why, might I ask?

Edit: anyone who trots out the crap we somehow stole them off Argentina can go jump off a cliff.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 23:07   #49
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
A country that does not have the capability to defend itself, is not a country.
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 08:11   #50
LISELOTTE
sucking young blood

LISELOTTE is an unknown quantity at this point
go civil service... you dont have to prove youve got a penis by learning murder!