User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Mar 2003, 13:16   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
The Ring - Original Japanese Version

anyone seen it?

just brought it on DVD and planning to watch it tonight but might wait till someone else is around if it's as bad as ppl have been making out...

or are they all just a bunch of big pansies?
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 13:28   #2
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
I've heard that its quite different from the americanised version.
But then, i've not yet got myself together to watch it...
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 13:29   #3
ScotWiZ

ScotWiZ is an unknown quantity at this point
the original is meant to be really good..
round 2: 22:14
round 3: 33:23 something
round 4: forgot
round 5: pay? you're kidding right?
ScotWiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 13:30   #4
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
ive seen it

subtitles can get annoying

and yes, it is scary as ****

and only real difference is subtitles and not as large a special effects budget
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 13:37   #5
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
ive seen it

were you stoned when you were watching it?

I mean, the story is roughly the same, and the situation is roughly the same, and you will have to settle for some cultural differences (ESP abilities in the main characters).

The story is in some aspects less well told, but it is scary. And yes, the effects are 'humm-humm'.

But, since it is more puzzling than the US version, it is very good.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 13:59   #6
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
ive seen it

only other subtitled film i've watched was crouching tiger when we went to see it at the cinema and as it had no plot to speak of, missing out on the words wasn't that big a deal

with this there's no way i can close my eyes if i get scared
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 14:24   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Subs > Dubs.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 15:16   #8
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
I've read a review which says that the American version is better. Which is probably true since foreign movies tend to be, well, crap.

I thought the US version was a good horror movie, though I don't like horror movies so maybe I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 15:20   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker
I've read a review which says that the American version is better. Which is probably true since foreign movies tend to be, well, crap.
Give me Battle Royale and Jean de Florette over almost all of Hollywood any day.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 17:11   #10
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
see now, I don't need to say anything, because MrL says it all for me. and with that I am going home to watch Battle Royale again.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 17:21   #11
ScotWiZ

Quote:

I thought the US version was a good horror movie, though I don't like horror movies so maybe I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have.
*cringe*
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 17:22   #12
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
There are always exceptions to the rule

And I hasten to add that I have seen very few in this case. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is a good example. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, though I haven't seen this Battle Royale malarky. Sounds like a WWE Pay Per View event.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 17:23   #13
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Battle Royale is ace.

www.imdb.com for a synopsis.

Unread 26 Mar 2003, 17:58   #14
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
All three DVDs of the Japanese version of the ring, were on offer in HMV for £8.99
I nearly made a purchase, but didn't, D'oh !
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 19:44   #15
Homerio
Furious Angel

Homerio is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Give me Battle Royale and Jean de Florette over almost all of Hollywood any day.
mmmmmmmmmmmm...........Manon

And the japanese version of the ring rocks
not too scary though, if you want to scare yourself watch it alone
but that would be sad

<Slava> If we quit pa and take up residence in a new game that would be better. Take our organisation, alliance, and skills elsewhere.
<Hathor^> hyperiums
<Hathor^> Dark Galaxy
<Slava> anything will do.
* Slava imagines team-deathmatch-hopscotch
Homerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 19:57   #16
ScotWiZ

Quote:
Originally posted by Woof
All three DVDs of the Japanese version of the ring, were on offer in HMV for £8.99
I nearly made a purchase, but didn't, D'oh !

deal!
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 22:40   #17
one

Let me tell you a little tale.

A few weeks ago me and some mates planned to go to the cinema to watch the new Ring at about 11pm in central london.

Now - non of the cinemas were showing it, so we decided to rent out the original japanese ring on DVD!. My mate had allready seen it but reccomended it and he wanted to see it again.

We got around to watching it and were all a little sceptical. However - I have this cool program that can totally slow DVD's down and you can zoom right in and pan around the screen as you will.

I'll tell ya, that really adds to the sh1tting yourself factor.

It was pitch black, all the lights were off, with a slight gap in the curtains. There was about 8 of us all trying to scare one another and egging each other on.

You don't really notice all the subtle little things as well unless you rewind and watch again in slow motion - thats when all the fked up things like the little girl in the corner of the reflection etc really hit you. And going in slo mo at the bit when she comes out of the well and you see that hand etc.

Then we watched the extra features: "Watch Sadako's Video" The actual video that the victims see before the die.
It had a disclaimer before you could view it saying "We are not responsible for loss of life after viewing this footage. If in doubt, please exit now".

We watched.

We were all impressed at how scary this low budget film was - and were laughing around until my mates phone started ringing.
We all looked at each other and he picked it up - it was ok, it was just me pranking him.

But then... my other mates phone starting ringing - it said "Private Number". He answered it and gulped, he looked scared.

No-one spoke at the other end, it was just a female voice saying something incomprehensible. He was realy panicking now saying "who is it, who is it, tell me who this is" and i could see he was sweating - we were all scared. None of us knew what to do - we looked at each other and non of us had a phone in our hands - it couldnt have been us.

That night we all went our separate ways - but that was the last time I saw him. I haven't heared from him since and he hasn't been in lectures since 1 week after we watched the film.
I don't believe what happens in the film is true - I'm sure there is some explanation but I don't know where he is - none of us have seen him since about 1 and a half weeks ago.

I phoned his house where he used to live but he parents told me he hasn't come back from uni yet.

I'm sure he's just messing around but its getting kind of worrying now.
Unread 26 Mar 2003, 22:45   #18
Ragnarak

'heh'
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 00:25   #19
-o|DarkJedi|o-

-o|DarkJedi|o- is infamous around these parts
Re: The Ring - Original Japanese Version

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
anyone seen it?

just brought it on DVD and planning to watch it tonight but might wait till someone else is around if it's as bad as ppl have been making out...

or are they all just a bunch of big pansies?
i watched up until where they start investigating.. its pretty similar... in fact..... its almost identical...

i hear the endings are slightly different, wouldn't mind knowing how the jap one ends tho...

<@JonnyFive> well there you go, dj's ego really is mightier than ships

<@Hevonen> DarkJedi, thank god

[00:02] <Iniluki> self glorfying sigs are ****ing childish
[00:04] <DarkJedi> arrogance is bliss
-o|DarkJedi|o- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 00:58   #20
Ditcher

Ditcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice story
I havent seen the film yet but the trailer alone gives shivers.
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 10:15   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
And I hasten to add that I have seen very few in this case. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is a good example. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, though I haven't seen this Battle Royale malarky. Sounds like a WWE Pay Per View event.
CTHD is as rubbish as a very rubbish thing that's practised being rubbish.
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 10:41   #22
Radical Edward

Quote:
CTHD is as rubbish as a very rubbish thing that's practised being rubbish.
he is clearly a lost cause.

Unread 27 Mar 2003, 10:48   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
Knocking on Heaven's Door again then methinks.
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 11:01   #24
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
He probably knows everything.
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 11:04   #25
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by xtrasyn
He probably knows everything.
and underestands nothing.

delicatessen is another good foreign movie. Americans should stay away because it is french.

Unread 27 Mar 2003, 11:54   #26
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

La Vita è bella is another one
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 14:53   #27
treelo
Kyuss/qotsa > Deffeh ffs

treelo is an unknown quantity at this point
Ring > Ring 2 > The Ring.

Quote:
were you stoned when you were watching it?
i was.... and it scared the sh*t out of me. The US version has nothing on the original. It's the first film I've seen in a piece that has scared me. In fact the last film that scared the sh*t out of me was japanese.....

Tetsuo: Man of Steel.

do not watch this film on drugs, the director has already taken enough for you, your friends and most of japan.

The Ring reminds me of the US version of Godzilla, a sh*tty high budget remake of a classic.

They have to ruin everything.....can't even fight a damn war without messing it up ffs.

Waiting for the Sun.
treelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 15:12   #28
Castigated

Castigated is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Oh, please....
"The further the spiritual evolution of mankind advances, the more certain it seems to me that the path to genuine religiosity does not lie through the fear of life, and the fear of death, and blind faith, but through striving after rational knowledge."
Castigated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 15:16   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Castigated
Oh, please....
I would have suggested that the subtitles might be a reason for this, but unless he's got one of those programs that reads things out, I suspect he is capable of reading.
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 15:19   #30
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by treelo
Ring > Ring 2 > The Ring.
what about ring 0

Unread 27 Mar 2003, 15:23   #31
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

When I say foreign movies are crap I don't just mean dodgy Asian ones. British ones apply too. Sure some are good, Lock Stock, Shallow Grave and Trainspotting are examples but the majority suck. Obviously all other European movies suck big time. (yeah, yeah, one or two exceptions, whatever...)

Then again, I suppose most American films suck too, it's just that they make so many that are exported that I've found plenty that I like. When I think of my top 10 favourite films of all time I'm pretty sure they're all American.

Have you ever seen a South American movie? Oh my god, you have not seen a crap movie until you've seen one of them. The first half is usually OK, it's just that the second half seems to meander into nothingness. It's hard to describe spending an hour watching something where nothing happens, so I won't bother.
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 15:25   #32
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

You obviously haven't watched many good films then.

Anyone who hasn't got Dr Strangelove or Battle Royale in their top 10 deserves shooting.
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 15:30   #33
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by Iniluki
You forgot Withnail and I!
hmm the top 10 is filling up fast, there will be no room for US films at this rate :P

Unread 27 Mar 2003, 15:42   #34
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

The Third Man
Knocking on Heaven's Door
Holy Grail
Life of Brian
Gosford Park

There's some more
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 15:45   #35
Radical Edward

nikita

Unread 27 Mar 2003, 15:46   #36
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

The first 2/3 of Akira
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 15:47   #37
Radical Edward

Laputa, Mononoke Hime, and Nausicaa.

Unread 27 Mar 2003, 15:49   #38
Radical Edward

anyone seen Cidade de Deus ? that is supposed to be a good un.

Unread 27 Mar 2003, 15:57   #39
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

In no particular order, a top 10:

Battle Royale
Withnail and I
Dr Strangelove
The Third Man
Holy Grail
Leon
American Beauty
Mulholland Drive
The Usual Suspects
Pulp Fiction

Excluding those films that are non-american/have non-american directors etc, we are left with The Usual Suspects and Pulp Fiction.

Which is rather a disproportionately small return.
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 16:35   #40
Ragnarak

Quote:

Battle Royale
Withnail and I
Dr Strangelove
The Third Man
Holy Grail
Leon
American Beauty
Mulholland Drive
The Usual Suspects
Pulp Fiction

Excluding those films that are non-american/have non-american directors etc, we are left with The Usual Suspects and Pulp Fiction.

i would have donnie darko on that list and not holy grail
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 16:39   #41
Radical Edward

Quote:

wasn't Pulp fiction heavily edited for the US audience though (as in the time line) - or is that just an urban myth? If it is the case, then we should only give a half mark for that film, seeing as the decent version is the foreign release.

Unread 27 Mar 2003, 17:00   #42
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:

Battle Royale
Withnail and I
Dr Strangelove
The Third Man
Holy Grail
Leon
American Beauty
Mulholland Drive
The Usual Suspects
Pulp Fiction

heh, thinking up your favourite foreign movies and then filling it out with a couple of American ones does not consitute a top ten

Leon sucks by the way, plus it's American, regardless of where the director is from.

Since we're in a sharing mood, here is my version of the top ten, just off the top of my head:

Shawshank Redemption
Citizen Kane
Usual Suspects
Memento
The Matrix
Fight Club
Big Lebowski
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Goodfellas

No foreign movie I have ever seen could hold a candle to any of those ten. I'm sure I could come up with a better list if I thought about it more, plus had a look at my DVD collection.
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 17:18   #43
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
heh, thinking up your favourite foreign movies and then filling it out with a couple of American ones does not consitute a top ten
No it doesn't. Having that many foreign films in there because I like them does.

Quote:
Leon sucks by the way, plus it's American, regardless of where the director is from.
Despite being directed by a frenchman, written by a frenchman, starring a frenchman and being about a frenchman? And it is a very very good film.

Quote:
No foreign movie I have ever seen could hold a candle to any of those ten. I'm sure I could come up with a better list if I thought about it more, plus had a look at my DVD collection.
A good collection, apart from The Matrix, but the ones I listed are better, which is why they are in my top 10 rather than the ones you named.
Unread 27 Mar 2003, 18:00   #44
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
A good collection, apart from The Matrix, but the ones I listed are better, which is why they are in my top 10 rather than the ones you named.
Yeah, I thought The Matrix was a bit of a dodgy choice but I couldn't think of anything else at the time. Still can't now... Though I can't think of a better foreign movie either.

tbh I have only seen half the movies in your top ten so I can't slag them off too much
Holy Grail sucks big time in my opinion, though I do acknowledge that a lot of people like it. Life of Brian is far superior, though I wouldn't put it in my top ten.

Anyway, point still the same, American films good, foreign films bad. Or maybe I just haven't seen the right films....
Unread 28 Mar 2003, 01:03   #45
Ragnarak

just watched it and now don't see what all the fuss was about

it wasn't anywhere near as scary as i thought i'd be