User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 5 Jan 2003, 03:01   #1
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Differing sizes of galaxies is bad

Having random galaxies larger than private is really bad. There are several reasons for this, some I will list below. Any figures are based on the assumption that there are 10 in a private and 15 in a random galaxy.

1. Minister resource bonuses.
A player in a private galaxy will have a 40% chance of a minister position and thus a resource bonus. Generally they know in advance if they get one or not. Anyone going random has only a 26% chance of getting a minister position and thus a bonus. This will lower the amount of good players going random even more and make the random galaxies generally worse. And of course ignoring all other factors, less bonus/planet means lower average score and thus easier targets.

2. Primary target
Anything that will tell the universe before even ticks start that a certain group is random will put them on an immediate target list because they are easier targets, which is crucial early on. Why are they easier targets?
a) They don't know eachother, they've only been together 3 days.
b) They're less likely to have an alliance, alliances will sort galaxies for their members.
c) They're unlikely to have very many friends, if they had friends wouldn't they have a spot?
Once they get targetted early on, they'll always be behind.

3. Cluster/Parallel alliance membership.
When the alliances are set up it is usually only the tightest most elite galaxies that get invited, the rest will if there is reduced ETA for attacks be targets for the first week, thereby putting them far behind the rest. Anyone identifiable as random will have a hard time joining the alliance.
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 03:05   #2
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
so true Chax.

as long as there exist private galaxies, random galaxies wont have a chance anyway.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 03:20   #3
Troll
DLR HC

Troll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to behold
How many randoms do they think are going to sign up and play? 200? 500? Unless it's free I think you'll see almost no random players.
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 04:51   #4
RooKie
Boy without a toy

RooKie is an unknown quantity at this point
it might be a intresting experiment to have 10 - 10

WC 2 Winners "TiG's Terrific Tribe" 3:21

Quicknet Webdesign & Neteffects Søkemotoroptimalisering
RooKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 07:05   #5
[Cymru]
Lord of the Sheep

[Cymru] is an unknown quantity at this point
There should be no randoms galaxies at all.

ALL galaxies should be a micture of private, with a few privates being shuffled together even. The set-up i'd love to see is:

2 groups of 5 privates mixed together then the galaxy will be open for another 5 randoms to make 15. As not many randoms will be expected then those randoms that join should be shuffled randonly through the universe (obviously ) so that overall every galaxies will have 12 or 13 people etc until the galaxies are full.

I need my newbie interaction, the friendly type :santa_wav:

Last edited by [Cymru]; 6 Jan 2003 at 02:11.
[Cymru] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 16:00   #6
-QS-
nub since 2002

-QS- is an unknown quantity at this point
[Cymru]: That idea is good, I already heard that idea once or twice, but this could bring some more fun to PA:
You can play with friends and you get to know new ppl.
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 16:23   #7
Scaggydo
Necro's Minion

Scaggydo is an unknown quantity at this point
<Zeus> Request: Please whatever the galaxy formation turns out to be, if your going into a private galaxy, TRY and keep that galaxy one alliance. Do not mix alliances in a galaxy as it can lead to stagnation for all players.

making reconstituted galaxies of sets of 5 privates will kinda go against this though, no?

and Chax, if i am in a private galaxy i will have a 40% chance of a ministerial position.. i will however have less chance of anyone in my galaxy being online if i need defense at an in-galaxy eta..

ive been away since the start of rnd 7, but in my experiance, cluster and parallel alliances tended to be set up as parts of the "powerblock" set up. galaxies in the same P/C of the same pblock tend to ally together for any C/P tactics. whether small or big, ure best way into decent C/P alliance is through your own alliance.

as for the galaxies of 25 being obviously randoms with all the disadvantages of not having a strong alliance to cover them, fair point. i know i will find those (early on at least) the most obvious targets.

ex-NFU, ex-Silver HC
R1-nfi, R2-C4, R3-12:8:4, R4-140:15:1, R5-29:12:17, R6-27:13:2, R7-RL, R8-RL, R9-36:5:1, R9.5-Asleep
Scaggydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 16:35   #8
Shakky
Divine

Shakky is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by RooKie
it might be a intresting experiment to have 10 - 10
indeed it be difficult to know who are priv or random and be a another challenege

Nosferatu
Silver
Elysium
RaH
Eclipse
Shakky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 16:54   #9
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Scaggydo
[Band Chax, if i am in a private galaxy i will have a 40% chance of a ministerial position.. i will however have less chance of anyone in my galaxy being online if i need defense at an in-galaxy eta.. [/b]
Surely in a private galaxy you have half the galaxy online withion 10minutes if you need short ETa def. SMS is a good thing, however in a random gal that won't happen.
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 17:58   #10
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
I've also been saying the 2 * 5 + randoms is the best idea yet, I havent heard a reason why this shouldnt be introduced. The reasoning it will have 2 different alliances in the group is pretty wank tbh. It would enable randoms to get in good gals, it would be less likely to get a super 1337 gal, you meet new people.

However, this doesnt help the 2k universe.
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 19:20   #11
Iceaxe
Blood

Iceaxe is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Fish
However, this doesnt help the 2k universe.
Actually it would, people who don't have enough friends to make a private gal could still end up in one and make friends with them/learn from them.

The noobs who do actually sign up now would have someone (hopefully) more experienced in the gal who can help out and keep them in the game. These noobs then tell there friends in other games and so on.
Iceaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 22:14   #12
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
yes but the noobs we need are the ones who havent played at all and as such will not pay for it yet. Hopefully some free randoms will be coming in.
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 02:18   #13
[Cymru]
Lord of the Sheep

[Cymru] is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Scaggydo
<Zeus> Request: Please whatever the galaxy formation turns out to be, if your going into a private galaxy, TRY and keep that galaxy one alliance. Do not mix alliances in a galaxy as it can lead to stagnation for all players.

making reconstituted galaxies of sets of 5 privates will kinda go against this though, no?
With the risk of repeating myself! *sigh*

Everyone knows that alliances arent going to go alone in any round and what about groups of friends who go together almost regardless of alliance?

The moral of the story in PA is that we need more interaction between not only new and old players but even between the existing players.

If anyone knows anywhere with more influence than these somewhat abused discussion forums to propose the idea to the creators please tell me!

Galaxies with 2 grops of organised players, though maybe mixed alliance wise, will go on to ineract with each other. People can get to know other players who know the game without the risk of going completely random. And adding randoms on top of them up to 15 means they will have to help and tutor the randoms into the game which is what PA needs.
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 15:29   #14
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Differing sizes of galaxies is bad

Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
2. Primary target
Anything that will tell the universe before even ticks start that a certain group is random will put them on an immediate target list
I'll take a bet that at tick 72 I can tell apart private from random gals in at least 90% even if they are both 15 sized. Your argument of making thme visible is complete bollocks. Everybody will know very fast which gals are random and which aren't even if they are same size. In fact now I think of it you should watch the moment of the GC elections as randoms are way slower in that than private gals. If you just browse trough your cluster as soon as you can elect for GC you will no doubt find most randoms already.

Also from r7 experience as GC of a random gal I know random gals have most to fear from other random gals and not from private gals as private gals concentrate on each other and try to keep random gals at their side. Any decently skilled random GC could keep his gal friendly with the private gals in the cluster as they are a usefull ally for getting extra defence whilst not posing a threat attackingwise.

I want to play random in r9 again (in fact I'm certain to do so) and I certainly want a much much bigger random gal than any private gal !!!

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 15:52   #15
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Re: Differing sizes of galaxies is bad

Quote:
Originally posted by Al_zz
I'll take a bet that at tick 72 I can tell apart private from random gals in at least 90% even if they are both 15 sized.
So you think that even a 10% chance of randoms passing as privates isn't worth it?
Quote:
Your argument of making thme visible is complete bollocks. Everybody will know very fast which gals are random and which aren't even if they are same size. In fact now I think of it you should watch the moment of the GC elections as randoms are way slower in that than private gals. If you just browse trough your cluster as soon as you can elect for GC you will no doubt find most randoms already.
There's a big difference between finding something out through a series of observations requiring some planning and effort vs. finding it out instantaneously through casual observation. If random galaxies are a different size, then everyone knows they're random. If they are the same size, then people might figure it out eventually.

The point, however, is this: if galaxies are all the same size then if a random galaxy does happen to get itself organized fairly quickly, then there's no reason it can't pass itself off as a private galaxy and thereby gain whatever advantages that may be had in doing so. But if random galaxies are different sizes, then it doesn't matter if a few of them get organized quickly or not--they'll always be tagged as an easy target.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 16:16   #16
Al_zz
ensign forever

Re: Re: Re: Differing sizes of galaxies is bad

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
So you think that even a 10% chance of randoms passing as privates isn't worth it?

There's a big difference between finding something out through a series of observations requiring some planning and effort vs. finding it out instantaneously through casual observation. If random galaxies are a different size, then everyone knows they're random. If they are the same size, then people might figure it out eventually.

The point, however, is this: if galaxies are all the same size then if a random galaxy does happen to get itself organized fairly quickly, then there's no reason it can't pass itself off as a private galaxy and thereby gain whatever advantages that may be had in doing so. But if random galaxies are different sizes, then it doesn't matter if a few of them get organized quickly or not--they'll always be tagged as an easy target.
The chances of a random gal passing itself of as a private gal are slim to none. I said I'd pick 90% at 72 hours but in my cluster I'd be sure of all if I'd needed to know.

R8 might have mislead people into thinking that there are good random gals around that can match up with private gals but in truth in a mixed universe most good players will be in private gals so the random gals will be of much worse quality than in r8. In round 7 I think there was only 1 random gal which had no player on 3 roids after 4 days of play.

If you think a 15 person gal can organise good enough to emulate a private gal than those 15 people with 10 more added will do great in a mixed universe as well. And the chances of get 15 good players in your gal are drammatically better in a 25 person gal.

hAl
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 17:16   #17
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
I think a random gal of 25 planets will have better chances to match a private of 10, as they will be discovered anyway (and quite soon I think) I see no point in trying to hide them by lowering their strength.
And if i was in a big alliance HC I would certainly suggest that all the members go random. Coz with all the so called good players going private there would be a great chance to have many alliance friends ending up in the same very few random gals... There I'd find players with no alliance who would gladly join mine and in a short time the random gal could become an effective giant private gal.
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 17:24   #18
Telest
Agitator

Telest is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, if the signups were going to be free, then there would of been crappy private galaxies also, which would have helped to cloak those randoms.

As it is though, I think most private galaxies will be pretty dang hardcore. ;(
Telest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 17:30   #19
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Re: Re: Re: Differing sizes of galaxies is bad

Quote:
If you think a 15 person gal can organise good enough to emulate a private gal than those 15 people with 10 more added will do great in a mixed universe as well. And the chances of get 15 good players in your gal are drammatically better in a 25 person gal.
If they fix exiling (make it actually affordable), that should help random galaxies improve their core of players (private galaxies won't need to do much exiling). Other non-size-related advantages could be given to random galaxies as well. For example, allow only planets in random galaxies to launch overburn attacks...
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 18:49   #20
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Re: Re: Re: Re: Differing sizes of galaxies is bad

Quote:
In round 7 I think there was only 1 random gal which had no player on 3 roids after 4 days of play.
with fewer planets the chances of having 0 ppl at 3 roids increase quite a bit though. Even private gals sometimes have some slow person in them.
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 22:12   #21
genosse27
Hamburger

genosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the roughgenosse27 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Differing sizes of galaxies is bad

Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
They don't know eachother, they've only been together 3 days.
i came to an idea here... Random planets should start earlier. Like 1 or 2 days. And with 25 peps in a gal, they have a really fair chance
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 09:33   #22
RooKie
Boy without a toy

RooKie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Differing sizes of galaxies is bad

Quote:
If they fix exiling (make it actually affordable), that should help random galaxies improve their core of players (private galaxies won't need to do much exiling). Other non-size-related advantages could be given to random galaxies as well. For example, allow only planets in random galaxies to launch overburn attacks...
vote Tacticus for creator!!

WC 2 Winners "TiG's Terrific Tribe" 3:21

Quicknet Webdesign & Neteffects Søkemotoroptimalisering
RooKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 09:34   #23
Al_zz
ensign forever

Quote:
Giving random gals some extra advantage is a much better solution than making their gals smaller. Making random gals small is way to much of a loss for the small possibility of not getting detected early on. Actually identifying your gal early on as a random gal can help you in some cases in cluster politics.

I'm not sure though overburn is of much use to random gals. We do not want more people opting for an extra random farm planet with fast defence ETA in whole universe. I suggested already in other thread to give randoms better cluster ETA's (-1 to private) so the random gals have a good reason to allie in cluster.

hAl
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 13:57   #24
Anakin
Stealth & Shadows

Anakin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by G.K Zhukov
so true Chax.

as long as there exist private galaxies, random galaxies wont have a chance anyway.
Agreed.
Anakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 12:45   #25
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the principle of having more players in random galaxies is sound, since random players are at a huge disadvantage, and the increased numbers will offset this, and will hopefully introduce newbies to the benefits of activity and co-operation - something that often failed to happen in round 8 because a 'critical mass' of people on-line never ocurred

The trick in balancing them is to make the galaxies the right size, so that the randoms are not in a weaker (or stronger) position, so that an average random galaxy is roughly as strong as an average private one.
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 15:24   #26
Scaggydo
Necro's Minion

Scaggydo is an unknown quantity at this point
yes, but it is blatantly obvious to anyone in an organised galaxy that a large random galaxy is a soft target.. best not to stand out when ure weak..

ex-NFU, ex-Silver HC
R1-nfi, R2-C4, R3-12:8:4, R4-140:15:1, R5-29:12:17, R6-27:13:2, R7-RL, R8-RL, R9-36:5:1, R9.5-Asleep
Scaggydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 17:45   #27
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Other non-size-related advantages could be given to random galaxies as well. For example, allow only planets in random galaxies to launch overburn attacks...
More important (IMO), keep overburn defense, but make it so it can only be used to send defense to randoms.
Or maybe only between randoms.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 21:05   #28
Baco
-= Plush Puppet =-

Baco is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice post Chax!
I agree with u....

r4 - 133:25:?? PTA
r5 - 35:7:?? MI/ViruS/NoS/PTA
r6 - 21:7:4 NoS/PTA
r7 - 21:4:12 NoS/PTA