User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 May 2004, 23:54   #1
The General8
NOT a yuppie....yet

The General8 is infamous around these partsThe General8 is infamous around these parts
[TECHNICAL] I/O conflicts

i recently slapped together a pc using bits i had, but the gfx card is having a I/O conflict

Memory Range 00000000 - 07FFFFFF used by:
System board extension for PnP BIOS
Memory Range 00000000 - 07FFFFFF used by:
Motherboard resources
Memory Range 00000000 - 0007FFFF used by:
Input/Output Range 0000 - 00FF used by:
Programmable interrupt controller
Input/Output Range 0000 - 00FF used by:
Numeric data processor
Memory Range 00000000 - 0001FFFF used by:

is there anyway to fix this? the card is Hercules Prophet 4500 64mb and the mobo is a ABIT, cant remember the model off hand.

Quote:
Originally posted by an anon neg-repper

all your posts are shit. it's like a more accurate turbonegro song
i post on a internet forum!
The General8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2004, 23:56   #2
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: [TECHNICAL] I/O conflicts

You could try changing it to something other than whats being used. Or change the one of the thing thats using it.

That's what I'd do.

You could also try posting this on the PC forum, instead of trying to get round the fact that this is a PC question by putting a Technical prefix.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2004, 00:00   #3
The General8
NOT a yuppie....yet

The General8 is infamous around these partsThe General8 is infamous around these parts

heh dint notice that hardware forum there , also i how would i go about changing the IRQ , its under windows 98

Quote:

Unread 3 May 2004, 00:00   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Swap the cards round or something, there's some thing where you can't put something next to something else, I dunno, what am I a scientist?
Unread 3 May 2004, 00:00   #5
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: [TECHNICAL] I/O conflicts

My technical expertise are so pitiful, I'm not particularly sure why electricity doesn't leak out of those plug-hole thingies, so I shall refrain from commenting.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2004, 00:23   #6
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

where did you check this btw and is there an actual problem in terms of using the computer?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2004, 00:33   #7
The General8
NOT a yuppie....yet

i found the info out in the resources bit of the gfx card properties, atm i cant change the colour depth or resolution

Quote:

Unread 3 May 2004, 13:52   #8
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

If you pull up the properties of the card in Hardware Manager, you can manually allocate resources to the card. So just change the IO or IRQ or whatever you need to change to something that isn't already being used.

If the conflict is onboard, the BIOS will sometimes allow you to allocate specific interrupts for hardware - although I've never tried it that way.
Unread 3 May 2004, 13:55   #9
The General8
NOT a yuppie....yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
If you pull up the properties of the card in Hardware Manager, you can manually allocate resources to the card. So just change the IO or IRQ or whatever you need to change to something that isn't already being used.

If the conflict is onboard, the BIOS will sometimes allow you to allocate specific interrupts for hardware - although I've never tried it that way.
<sniff> it wont let me, this resource setting cannot be modifed

Quote:

Unread 3 May 2004, 18:10   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Euh... It might be a stupid question, but when you buy a PC in parts from the web, and put it together in the specified slots and plugs, isn't it supposed to work?
I always thought you didn't have to worry about things like address ranges and stuff, that this is done automatically or "hard coded" into your motherboard.
Unread 3 May 2004, 22:54   #11
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I've never ever seen or heard anyone being able to manually assign an IRQ they wanted directly.

the only thing you can try is shifting PCI cards around to make the OS/mobo assign IRQs differently, but other than that, you can't choose your own IRQs.
Unread 4 May 2004, 18:35   #12
skiddy
wild one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
I've never ever seen or heard anyone being able to manually assign an IRQ they wanted directly.

the only thing you can try is shifting PCI cards around to make the OS/mobo assign IRQs differently, but other than that, you can't choose your own IRQs.

System Properties -> Device Manager -> Select Device -> Properties -> Resources -> Select Resource Type -> Uncheck Use Automatic Settings -> Click Change Settings -> Change Setting.

You can change Memory Ranges, IRQ Settings and I/O Ranges.

I tried it today at work.

Next please.
Unread 4 May 2004, 20:46   #13
The General8
NOT a yuppie....yet

Quote:
System Properties -> Device Manager -> Select Device -> Properties -> Resources -> Select Resource Type -> Uncheck Use Automatic Settings -> Click Change Settings -> Change Setting.

Next please.
not under 98 tho :/

Quote:

Unread 5 May 2004, 00:14   #14
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:

Next please.
I've got 3 comps at home, 3 different OSes and configs, all 3 have the "use automatic settings" ticked and greyed out . i.e. non changeable.

EDIT - Asked 2 m8s to check, each also with different OSes than mine, also greyed out and ticked.

That makes Win98SE, WinXP Home & Pro, Win2k Pro, Win2k3.