User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Apr 2005, 15:58   #1
Ginga
Reassuringly Expensive

Ginga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these parts
[Discuss] Self Destruct Button

Its really annoying when your attack/defend someone, and end up with a fleet of 1 or 2 ships that takes 12 ticks to return home.

What would be handy is a self destruct button which you could use to destroy all the ships in a fleet. Thus removing the long wait for such few ships to return.
Ginga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2005, 15:59   #2
The_Mad_Keg
Fat *******

The_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to beholdThe_Mad_Keg is a splendid one to behold
Re: Self Destruct Button

yeah its annoying, but isnt it worth it when u do it to an enemy???
<Rocko> so reincarnation is like getting ABSOLUTLEY wankered when u die

[F-Crew] - You known when youve been [FC]ucked
The_Mad_Keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2005, 15:59   #3
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

I like the idea
Unread 7 Apr 2005, 16:51   #4
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

i fear all the instances where people, who are tired high on caffinee drunk or up for 98 hours straight, accidentally click the self destruct button and loose millions of points worth of ships - and the associated complaints to admin: "oi, i killed all my fleet again, can you wish it back for me please, no? why not, you are an admin..." etc :\.

so i think it should only display at a certain threshold - like under 5% of the original fleet sent having survived, THEN it becomes available - but lost ships should also contribute to the salvage at the defender's planet.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2005, 16:52   #5
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader

Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice

its a good idea ye. i cant see any flaws in it so far

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2005, 16:53   #6
Rikard
Rebellion Rebelleader

Rikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really niceRikard is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
i fear all the instances where people, who are tired high on caffinee drunk or up for 98 hours straight, accidentally click the self destruct button and loose millions of points worth of ships - and the associated complaints to admin: "oi, i killed all my fleet again, can you wish it back for me please, no? why not, you are an admin..." etc :\.

so i think it should only display at a certain threshold - like under 5% of the original fleet sent having survived, THEN it becomes available - but lost ships should also contribute to the salvage at the defender's planet.
ofcourse there should be confirm buttons before the self destruct button actually starts working. another way to prevent accidental destructions can be to put the button in the preference page instead of missions

<zhil|reportwrit> Rikard - I dont know you
<zhil|reportwrit> so you're insignificant

eXilition - LCH - Destiny - Conspiracy - Night Witches - eXcessum
Rikard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2005, 16:54   #7
Ginga
Reassuringly Expensive

Ginga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
i fear all the instances .... accidentally click the self destruct button and loose millions of points worth of ships
A simple confirmation script may be in order then!
Unread 7 Apr 2005, 17:30   #8
Goatsemaster
Just like science!

Goatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of lightGoatsemaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga
A simple confirmation script may be in order then!
We've never lost a man in space and we're sure not gonna lose one on my watch!
Unread 7 Apr 2005, 20:39   #9
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

can we just have the 5 ships come home quicker via that lil tiny tunnel that only 5 ships can fit in :P
I dont wanna blow up the survivors of a suicidal defence/attack just seems evil :P

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2005, 21:01   #10
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

No. I really don't feel like stating why, because it's been done a million times before. But anyway, no.
Unread 7 Apr 2005, 21:09   #11
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikard
its a good idea ye. i cant see any flaws in it so far

have you been drinking paint ?
Unread 8 Apr 2005, 12:07   #12
CrazySpoon
Pimpin Spoon

CrazySpoon is on a distinguished road

Don't agree on the function. In RL you wouldnt have some of you fleet explode, just because you cant wait till they get back to base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desse
<Desse> go away
<Desse> you are retired
CrazySpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Apr 2005, 13:26   #13
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySpoon
Don't agree on the function. In RL you wouldnt have some of you fleet explode, just because you cant wait till they get back to base.
in RL you have more than just 3 fleetspots ... and if you are a very bad and unpatient dictator why not. and we shouldnt forget ... it's just a game not RL and not even close to RL!

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Apr 2005, 15:51   #14
CrazySpoon
Pimpin Spoon

CrazySpoon is on a distinguished road

True about the fleetslots hehehehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desse
<Desse> go away
<Desse> you are retired
CrazySpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2005, 13:28   #15
Ginga
Reassuringly Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySpoon
In RL you wouldnt have some of you fleet explode, just because you cant wait till they get back to base.
Never heard of Japanesse suicide bombers then? Or Palestine suicide bombers? Never actually read anything on military history? Oh, and I dont really recall anything in RL so far envolving space battles with fleets and asteroids. Maybe we should all stop playing the game, its all too unrealistic for you, clearly.
Unread 10 Apr 2005, 12:54   #16
Goafer LX

Goafer LX has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i think it's stupid, wheres the fun in the game if u keep adding in all these little shortcuts when the fact of the matter is... your just too fat and lazy to play properly???
ffs guys, come on!!
self destruct..... why the **** don't we just create "death stars" so u can destroy a planet in an instant......
self destrcut my arse

[INS]Goafer
Goafer LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2005, 16:45   #17
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonentity
No. I really don't feel like stating why, because it's been done a million times before. But anyway, no.
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 01:00   #18
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Well, i wasnt too fond of the idea myself, but a recent battle at my planet is a prime example of when such a feature could be useful (i dont mind showing my co-ords here because every muppet and his parrot knows my co-ords - though i would appreciate you haolding back on the random incoming :P).

http://jpaweb01.planetarion.com/show_news.pl?id=3799

The only survivors were 2 Pirates from a fleet of 2500 ships (btw the attacker must have been a newbie, and i did mail him... )

Food for thought, anyway.
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 11:50   #19
Goafer LX

imagine:
you've just come from an attack. your ships are going down, it gets to roiding time, u steal say 50 roids
then some Zik steals all of your roiders
all that returns home is a lone harpy
if that was me i would welcome home the hero with open arms and award him a medal, but what do u do?
self destrct his worthless ass, there he is, on autopilot on his way home, with his feet up and a beer in his hands, and all of a sudden *red light flashes* "WARNING... SELF DESTRUCT SEQUENCE INITIATED, SELF DESTRUCT IN 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... SELF DESTRUCT" *radio static, follwed by silence*

HOW IS THAT HONOURABLE!??!?!?!?!

[INS]Goafer
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 12:15   #20
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goafer LX
HOW IS THAT HONOURABLE!??!?!?!?!
His/(her?) death permits another Glorius fleet to launch to re-engage the enemy and achieve victory through strategic surprise.

"the needs of the many..."
Unread 13 Apr 2005, 14:06   #21
Goafer LX

no... still don't think that this is right tbh

[INS]Goafer
Unread 10 Jun 2005, 12:04   #22
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

one interesting idea... might be to say - if you loose more than 95% of the ships in a fleet, the remaining ships become property of the target - i.e. they were captured due to being heavilly outnumbered.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 02:21   #23
Ginga
Reassuringly Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
one interesting idea... might be to say - if you loose more than 95% of the ships in a fleet, the remaining ships become property of the target - i.e. they were captured due to being heavilly outnumbered.
That is a top notch idea.
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 03:30   #24
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Kinky, but I don't feel as if I want that. It just seems like a random cut-off point to me to free up slots, which I don't think we need to do.
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 11:07   #25
SteInMetz
NewDawn
Sofa Longjump Champion

SteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to beholdSteInMetz is a splendid one to behold
Re: [Discuss] Self Destruct Button

One flaw i can see with it, is that if a person is fleetcaught, he will surely* blow his fleet up, so the attackers has no gain of it really..

* If he is sure they will kill him anyway...

Proud to be Newdawn
SteInMetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 11:49   #26
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
wouldn't that allow races to get other race's ships? In however small amounts
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 11:51   #27
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
wouldn't that allow races to get other race's ships? In however small amounts
There is stealing for all 4 races next round anyway. But I still think this is a bad idea.
Unread 11 Jun 2005, 13:32   #28
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Re: [Discuss] Self Destruct Button

not necc, furball. its becoming a pain to balance...