User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 22 May 2003, 21:44   #1
clarencetheclockworkcake
Fidel Cakestro

clarencetheclockworkcake is an unknown quantity at this point
when i shutdown,it restarts instead

i just put a new motherboard in my pc as the old one broke,and when i shut down windows xp,it restarts instead.
any ideas why this might be?
its a gigabyte mob,i think a k7 triton 400
clarencetheclockworkcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 03:36   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
First thing I'd do is check the bios.

Can't remember offhand if there's anything there that would cause this, but knowing the trisksy bugger that is the PC BIOS you never know.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 11:15   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
ACPI has been known to cause things like that; either dive into Device Manager and remove all ACPI related bits and bobs then let XP redetect them, or reinstall XP.

MS suggests it could be crashing when you try and shut it down, and you've got it set up to automatically restart when a serious error occurs.

Last edited by pablissimo; 23 May 2003 at 14:03.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 14:01   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
ACPI has been known to cause things like that; either dive into Device Manager and remove all ACPI related bits and bobs then let XP redetect them, or reinstall XP.

MS suggests it could be [url="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311806"]crashing
when you try and shut it down, and you've got it set up to automatically restart when a serious error occurs. [/b]
your vbb powers are weak old man.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 23 May 2003, 14:03   #5
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Indeed =/

I keep doing that; ending url tags with bold tags =/
Unread 26 May 2003, 16:54   #6
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
This used to happen on Win98SE, a patch was available. Although it shouldn't be, it could be related...

Not that this helps, just thought it was useful to any 98SE users with that prob.

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2003, 16:31   #7
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
This used to happen on Win98SE, a patch was available. Although it shouldn't be, it could be related...

Not that this helps, just thought it was useful to any 98SE users with that prob.

M.
Wasnt that the problem where 98SE would get stuck on "System is shutting down" screen?

Anyways, I think Pab is correct. I had a problem like this. If you disable the Auto Restart feature you can see what causes the crash on shutdown. Usually its a driver (In my case it was a problem with the GeForce drivers. Re-install driver / Case closed!)
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 13:55   #8
Eidron
The Harsh Light of Day

Eidron is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you sure you set the motherboard up correctly? . It could be that you connected those little wires up wrongly (cant remember their proper name but who cares?).

You'll never see me but I am everywhere
Eidron is offline   Reply With Quote