User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Jan 2003, 01:05   #1
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Makain is an unknown quantity at this point
Chinese Food

What is your favorite dish whenever you order out from a Chinese Restaurant?

For me its Shrimp Fried Rice, nothing can beat it in my estimation. And of course the only thing better then Chinese food is Japanese food. Especially when you goto one of those Japanese Steak Houses where they cook it infront of you.
Makain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 01:07   #2
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
i like lemon chicken or sweet&sour pork
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 01:09   #3
Black Dog
Dazed and Confused

Black Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really nice
Sweet and Sour Pork with Barbecue Ribs.

Just thinking about it causes a small earthquake in my stomach.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 01:31   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Sweet & Sour Pork, 'Hong Kong' style

But you can't go far wrong bit of Char Sui (sp?)
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 01:49   #5
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
japanese food when it's cooked right infront of you is awesome!
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:14   #6
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Sweet And Sour Chicken Balls(har har,lets go with the childish jokes) or House Special Sweet and Sour (Chicken,Pork,Prawn all in batter)

Fried Rice

RAR!

God Im hungry now
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:20   #7
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
the sechuan method of preparing veal is excellent, however it isnt exactly veal, it is another animal.
Knight Theamion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:27   #8
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
My local chinese is Catonese so my order is read back to me as such:

HooKay,Datz Housss Pechal Swee Hn SowHur,Flied Lice annn OnyHonyon Ringesa

She's really cute though so it's really endearing
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:44   #9
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
I like the stuff, but interestingly, most of the chinese stuff, in north america at least, is only chinese in the fact that it was invented by a chinese guy, usually in an american mining or railroad town on a small budget.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 03:00   #10
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
the chinese stuff
Quote:
is only chinese
Quote:
in the fact that it was invented by a chinese guy
Watered down it seems pretty stupid, eh?

Seriously though, I doubt we would like the pure stuff actually made in China. I went to Chinatown while I was in San Fransico and the stuff there was way to salty for my choice. I thought I would dehydrate before I could reach for my glass (of salt water it turned out). I do like the Chinese-customs for restaurant waiting. They push the carts of appetizers around the room until someone beckons them, they cart pusher gives you the appetizer and makes a little symbol to a bill on your table. If you want something from the kitchens you just flag down the waitress and she brings it out and adds it to your bill. Very unique.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 04:22   #11
SomeOneYouKnow
Treepex

SomeOneYouKnow is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

hey mate, i invite you come to my house...
cos i am chinese, you can eat whatever you want here
hehe
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 05:30   #12
Spüg

Egg rolls all the way!
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 05:39   #13
Beast-of-War
clueless HR pe0n

Beast-of-War is an unknown quantity at this point
oi Auro wake up !
:P
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 05:49   #14
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point
The best chinese dishes don't have English names.

[Lecture]

(Mostly Translated from http://www.food-a.com/caixi/01.htm - Being Multilingual ownz )
There are 13 kinds of Chinese food in total:

Sichuan, Guangzhou, Shandong, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Hunan, Fujian, Anhui, Beijing, Shanghai, Muslim, Vegetarian, and Americanized

Sichuan is centered in the Sichuan province and the Autonomous City-State of Chongqing. It's features are the spicyness of the dishes. It uses a wide array of peppers, garlics, onions, and spicy bean paste as flavourings. The signature dish is Ma-puo Tofu, which is a very hot tofu dish.

Guangzhou is the southern dishes. Around Guangzhou, Hong Kong, and other coastal areas. The traits of these dishes are the plentiful use of seafood. Most of the sea food here are cooked very fresh and some are eaten almost raw. Also, this is where Dim Sum (little carts in restaurants) came from. Most American Chinese places serve a form of this. The signature dishes include Wen-Chang Chicken.

Shandong is north of Jiangsu and south of Beijing. Its food also consist of many sea food picks, but are cooked with more salty and sourness than Guangzhou food. The signature dish here is the red-roasted Oysters and the Steamed Bamboos.

Jiangsu is just to the west of Shanghai. The food here are made with mostly freshwater fishes, in contrast of Guangzhou, Shanghai, and Shandong dishes. There is a wide array of different styles in the Jiangsu dishes, but most are very pleasing to the eye as well as the taste buds. Two very different dishes are the Squirrel Fish (Fish sculptured as a squirrel, then flash-fried) and the Raw Drunken Prawns (Prawns soaked in rice-wine and eaten alive and raw). Also famous in this category are Pastries from Huang-Tian-Yu of Suzhou.

Zhejiang food has been slightly blended into Jiangsu food. Both use some similar materials, but Zhejiang dishes have more of a smooth, tender texture to them. A signature dish would be the Hobo (Jiaohua) chicken, which happens to be popular in Jiangsu also.

Hunan dishes sometimes are even spicier than Sichuan dishes. Its dishes uses very clean knifework and uses a variety of spicy and sour spices. Also this is one of the few Chinese dishes that actually use smoking as a technique. A signature dish would be the roasted dog.

Fujian food are quite varied as well. Encompassing both seafood, freshwater fishes, and mountain animals, these dishes are also quite common in America. Fujian food is famous for its cooking with oil, causing the food to sometimes actually jump in the pans. A signature dish is Fuo tiao qiang which is made with pork.

The Anhui dishes came from the middle of China. The cooking styles are quite different being that they use more of a slow-cooking style. The three key points to Anhui food are "heavy colors, heavy oils, heavy fires". The Anhui dishes are also known to be theraputic. A signature dish would be the Grape fish.

Beijing food has been heavily influenced by Manchu and Mongolian flavors, but with a very unique Chinese touch. It uses meats that other areas of China do not use, like lamb. It uses a lot of roasting and depends very heavily on a even, controlled fire. A signature dish would be the Peking Duck.

Shanghai food is a potpurri of many flavours from all over. It uses some materials that may be looked down upon by other dishes, but still manages to make great dishes out of them. A signature dish would be the roasted pig's feet.

Muslim dishes are from the Western frontiers of China. Instead of Pork and fishes, which are the main stables of Chinese food, they use lamb and beef. It prefers to use onions, carrots, peppers, and almond powder as flavouring, instead of soy sauce. The roasted lamb is the signature dish.

Vegetarian meals in China mostly originated from Buddhist temples. It contains very seasonal dishes and uses various methods of cooking with tofu and nuts as well. A signature dish would be the vegetarian chicken, which is thin tofu strands wound together into the shape of chicken.

Americanized is just that: Americanized. It's seen only in America and is tailored to American tastes. Most Chinese people consider it unrefined and unChinese in general. It uses a lot of flavouring, sauces, and are easily mass produced, but sacrificing most of the visual appear and taste texture in the process. The signature dish is the orange chicken or the sweet-and-sour pork.

Hope that was helpful
[/Lecture]
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 05:54   #15
Nixjim
Commander

Nixjim is an unknown quantity at this point
I have never eaten Chinese food. (Unless Rice counts)
I have no desire to eat Chinese food.
Chinese Resturants around here have bad reputation of serving cats, although they don't call it that.
I prefer not to risk it.
Nixjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 05:55   #16
Spüg

Quote:
Originally posted by Aryn
i like lemon chicken or sweet&sour pork
Quote:
Originally posted by Auro
The signature dish is the orange chicken or the sweet-and-sour pork.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 05:56   #17
Spüg

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
Chinese Resturants around here have bad reputation of serving cats, although they don't call it that.
Yea, they call it roadkill!
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 05:58   #18
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
I have never eaten Chinese food. (Unless Rice counts)
I have no desire to eat Chinese food.
I prefer not to risk it.
Cats are only Guangzhou dishes. Unrefined southerners
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 06:02   #19
Nixjim
Commander

Nixjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Auro
Cats are only Guangzhou dishes. Unrefined southerners
Guangzhou is the southern dishes. Around Guangzhou, Hong Kong, and other coastal areas. The traits of these dishes are the plentiful use of seafood. Most of the sea food here are cooked very fresh and some are eaten almost raw. Also, this is where Dim Sum (little carts in restaurants) came from. Most American Chinese places serve a form of this. Most American Chinese places serve a form of this. The signature dishes include Wen-Chang Chicken.

Sounds about right then.
Nixjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 06:17   #20
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Those folks are weird, I tell ye.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 15:53   #21
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Unrefined, but very good with Sushi

I don't care if it is unrefined, it is very tasty and I could eat it for an entire week and not get tired of it. I find that eating Shrimp Fried Rice with Fresh Water Eel sushi is very good. Though its technically not sushi because its cooked or smoked. Is it a requirement that Sushi be raw in order for it to be Sushi? Or did all these American Supermarkets butcher the custom in an attempt to put in Suhsi bars asap in order to capitilize on the craze?
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 16:07   #22
Geeza
Dances With Sheep

Geeza is on a distinguished road
Chicken in black bean sauce.
Of godlike hardship tells me I must die
Like a sick eagle looking at the sky.
---
Zak
Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote