User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Closed Thread
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 00:59   #1
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST is on a distinguished road
Post Sleep time

this is an idea that's been playing on my mind ever since someone mentioned it a few days ago
one of the biggest problems with pa is that to be good, you need constant activity, and this is driving more and more people away, especially good players who have been getting up at 3 every morning for 2 years, and are now fed up

the idea is that the ticker stops for sleep time for a short time (maybe 2 ticks) every morning, maybe at 3 am. this would mean that players neednt worry about getting up, and if you got up at 6 to check, it wouldn't mean that you had to make a choice between fleet or roids.
this would make things harder for attackers, but that's life. i stopped playing because i've forgotten what it's like not to be tired. an idea like this may get me playing again
what do you think?
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 01:17   #2
RooKie
Boy without a toy

RooKie is an unknown quantity at this point
might be a good idea, some say it "wont be PA" and others like it.

WC 2 Winners "TiG's Terrific Tribe" 3:21

Quicknet Webdesign & Neteffects Søkemotoroptimalisering
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 01:23   #3
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of
Wont be very conveniant for players in the US, unless you had 2 sleep times or whatever, but that would just be getting silly. Good idea in theory though i guess.
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 04:22   #4
branko

branko is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah see this before but I think its better to give us a longer traveltime by 2 hours.I just love times when my eta is 10 or 11
you can launch attack and go to real sleep.

But with eta 7 (vulture) corect me eta 6 coz lt is xx:55 is a little bit hard.You must launch ships and if you can go to sleep and fix clock to wake you about 15 min before landing.Thats about 5 and a half hours of sleeping a bit too little to me.Of course forget about going to work or school if you launch before you go.

But with ETA 10 you can do all your work or school back home to see whats situation and pull if target get def or you can go to sleep a decent amouth of time.

I will prefer longer traveltime for sure.
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 04:25   #5
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point
Unfortunately my online times are 0:00-07:00CEST.

And so are most yanks.
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 09:20   #6
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

the pa crew have to do what is best for the majority of players

that's why i think a poll should be set up about this, it'll be easier to see opinion at a glance
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 09:29   #7
Ðiscorporation

What, exactly, would be the point of having a 24/7 online game, then?

Unread 20 Dec 2002, 10:15   #8
Monkeypimp
Banned

Monkeypimp is an unknown quantity at this point
great that would mean the ticker stops at 3pm in New Zealand.

keeping in mind we are the WC champs....
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 10:18   #9
Galaxian

Galaxian is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sleep time

Quote:
Originally posted by WST
this is an idea that's been playing on my mind ever since someone mentioned it a few days ago
one of the biggest problems with pa is that to be good, you need constant activity, and this is driving more and more people away, especially good players who have been getting up at 3 every morning for 2 years, and are now fed up

the idea is that the ticker stops for sleep time for a short time (maybe 2 ticks) every morning, maybe at 3 am. this would mean that players neednt worry about getting up, and if you got up at 6 to check, it wouldn't mean that you had to make a choice between fleet or roids.
this would make things harder for attackers, but that's life. i stopped playing because i've forgotten what it's like not to be tired. an idea like this may get me playing again
what do you think?
A global sleep time period won't work, as pointed out a sleep time of 3am here in Europe would be 3pm in New Zealand.

Better option is an optional sleep time that can be defined for each player individually. So for example I might want to set my sleep time to be between 3am and 6am each day, during which time attacks cannot be launched against my planet, but also during which I earn no resources. If you don't want a sleep time, then you should have the option to turn it off so you get full 24/7 resources being earned. Of course also you cannot launch fleets during your sleep time.

Might be a good idea that sleep times are set once when you create your planet and cannot be changed. And the times should be visible on a sector scan or something, so planets can know in advance of an attack if they will be prevented to launch or not.

Something along those lines might be more workable.

One of the big problems with PA is indeed the fact that your planet can be attacked when you are asleep. This puts off huge amounts of casual gamers who aren't willing to lose sleep for a dumb computer game. But if their hard-earned roids were protected whilst they got sleep, I'm sure more less-active gamers would play PA.

Last edited by Galaxian; 20 Dec 2002 at 10:25.
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 10:19   #10
Monkeypimp
Banned

as long as you earnt no resources to make people want to do it less. Otherwise we have no targets during sleep time..
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 10:39   #11
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

furssie can only hope to improve
Re: Re: Sleep time

Quote:
Originally posted by Galaxian

Better option is an optional sleep time that can be defined for each player individually. So for example I might want to set my sleep time to be between 3am and 6am each day, during which time attacks cannot be launched against my planet, but also during which I earn no resources. If you don't want a sleep time, then you should have the option to turn it off so you get full 24/7 resources being earned. Of course also you cannot launch fleets during your sleep time.

lol. This item is already there eversince, I see no difference to vacation mode.
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 10:41   #12
Little Timmy
Winker

Little Timmy will become famous soon enoughLittle Timmy will become famous soon enough
You can't have a sleep time that you can just turn on and off.

With this function the only people that you could attack would be people on line at the same time as yourself. An awake player is more likely to get defence if they are in a decent alliance.

Therefore, it favours alliance players rather than the individual.

Individuals are more likely to be new people or the fresh blood that this game so desperately needs. So they would get fed up pretty quickly.

At the end of the day someone should get out of the game what they put into it.

If someone is prepared to get up at 3am to launch or even woken up because they have incoming to sort out defence, they deserve to achieve a top 100 position.

Yeah so what Im an Original Pr0nstar

some of us have serious jobs
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 10:57   #13
Galaxian

Galaxian is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Little Timmy
You can't have a sleep time that you can just turn on and off.
Agreed.

Sleep time should be defined (firstly if you want it at all, and secondly what times) when you create your planet. It should not be something you can turn off or change once the round gets underway.

Without sleep time, PA assumes you are playing 24/7 with no breaks at all. There are an awful lot of gamers out there that cannot dedicate so much time to PA, and so just don't play at all.

Look at other games, for example Everquest. When you're finished playing, you "camp", during which time your avatar cannot be attacked, etc. Much better for the vast majority of casual gamers. Imagine how many players Everquest would lose if their avatars could be attacked when they weren't actually playing the game. Now imagine how many potential players PA is losing because of the "always-on" nature of the game.

I'm not saying don't reward activity. Active players should always do better than inactive players. But I don't see how the proper introduction of a sleep-time facility would really hurt active players all that much. They'd still be able to find targets out there.

Last edited by Galaxian; 20 Dec 2002 at 11:03.
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 11:11   #14
MadeMan
180º

MadeMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Some of the point of the game is that its 24/7 online game, So those that ar most active deserves to win, If the ppl dont have time to check by thgen dont play.
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 11:27   #15
Monkeypimp
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by MadeMan
Some of the point of the game is that its 24/7 online game, So those that ar most active deserves to win, If the ppl dont have time to check by thgen dont play.

which brings us back to the origional problem of not enough people...
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 11:36   #16
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Before posting things like this in Future can all of you please check the first page first to make sure that it hasnt already been covered. Theres little point having two on almost the same topic.

Anyway I dont like the idea of sleep time, it just seems wrong and against the spirit of the game....As pointed out a static sleep period wouldnt work unless there was a sleep time at 3am for every nation but then we wouldnt have ticks and choosing your sleep time to me is flawed for the simple reason that everyones going to have to stay up till 3am just so they can gointo sleep before peak launch time so it solves very little. There are better more tactical methods for giving you protection while your away from the keyboard such as the force field idea discussed elsewhere on the forum
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 11:44   #17
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

if you had the option to have a 2 hour sleep period, once a day, at a time you set, it's nothing like vacation, as it's only 2 hours. you set it at the beginning at the round, and when it's on, you get no resources.
if you choose not to have one, or only to have an hour, then you may have an advantage, if you are able tog et up early, so whilst still rewarding active players, it makes life easier for the casual gamer
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 12:03   #18
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
Angry NO

it wouldnt be REAL TIME!

and also, players who ARE active deserve that little advantage...

ist nice as it is, and you want sleeptime so that you wont get attacked at that time...but if ppl are forces to attack before and AFTER that getting through will be even WORSE! no way it drives good peeps away. maybe n00bs and inactives, but good peeps like it, im most certain of

-Jonas-

Retired
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 14:12   #19
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
The only way i can think of to allow people a few extra hours sleep would be to have an optional automated launch system. This would allow you to go to bed a few hours before you have to launch and just setup your fleet to launch at whichever tick you want, that way you dont have to get out of bed untill you are about to land. Maybe there should be some kind of penalty for using this such as an extra tick or 2 on travel time.

I cant see a sleep time working, for the reasons mentioned by everyone else but i would like to see something introduced to try and help less active people. PA is in need of an influx of new players if it is survive because the player base is shrinking atm, implementing a few new features to try and aid new and generally less active players may well be a way of attracting them to play. Using the above method would still end up with the best and most active players at the top but it would atleast even out the universe slightly.
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 05:23   #20
Baco
-= Plush Puppet =-

Baco is an unknown quantity at this point
there's a tread - Sugestions - about this....and a few more things...just read it, it looks interesting....

r4 - 133:25:?? PTA
r5 - 35:7:?? MI/ViruS/NoS/PTA
r6 - 21:7:4 NoS/PTA
r7 - 21:4:12 NoS/PTA
r8 - 25:5:9 NoS / Titans & Plush / PTA
r9 - 24:2:7 Olympians / PTA
WC4 - 1:6:4 winner gal
r9.5 - 42:7:8 & 11:2:25 & 19:2:16 Olympians / PTA / Plush
r10 - XX:YY:ZZ RaH!
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 09:46   #21
Mr. Juggalo
eia bro

Mr. Juggalo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by WST

what do you think?
Stupidest. Idea. Ever.
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 11:00   #22
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Juggalo
Stupidest. Idea. Ever.
I've seen worse, although this one hasn't really been thought through at all.
Unread 21 Dec 2002, 12:12   #23
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Juggalo
Stupidest. Idea. Ever.
That Honour has to go to the Deathstar idea that used to pup up on suggestions about 10 times every round. Basic idea was Deathstar did what it does in SW movies and would destroy the planet of the person you attack
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 22:08   #24
hellsmurf

hellsmurf has a little shameless behaviour in the past

well whats up with sleep time?

would be nice to chose 8-12 hours a day where u cant get atacked...
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 22:14   #25
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

gg on 2 year thread bump.
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 23:58   #26
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian
A global sleep time period won't work, as pointed out a sleep time of 3am here in Europe would be 3pm in New Zealand.

Might be a good idea that sleep times are set once when you create your planet and cannot be changed. And the times should be visible on a sector scan or something, so planets can know in advance of an attack if they will be prevented to launch or not.

Something along those lines might be more workable.

One of the big problems with PA is indeed the fact that your planet can be attacked when you are asleep. This puts off huge amounts of casual gamers who aren't willing to lose sleep for a dumb computer game. But if their hard-earned roids were protected whilst they got sleep, I'm sure more less-active gamers would play PA.
Very bad idea imo, everyone would put themselves in sleepmode between 03:00 and 06:00 CEST then since those are peak attack hours for larger alliances. Also I think bad idea for 2 hour rest, it means +2 attack eta at night, if person sees you're attacking (cause you cba to stay up till 4am to just before sleep mode goes in so he can't see it) he has 2 extra hours to arange def and it's hard enough to land an attack as it is, without having your nice fast eta 7 fi become eta 9 bs eta.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 00:00   #27
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
The only way i can think of to allow people a few extra hours sleep would be to have an optional automated launch system. This would allow you to go to bed a few hours before you have to launch and just setup your fleet to launch at whichever tick you want, that way you dont have to get out of bed untill you are about to land. Maybe there should be some kind of penalty for using this such as an extra tick or 2 on travel time.

I cant see a sleep time working, for the reasons mentioned by everyone else but i would like to see something introduced to try and help less active people. PA is in need of an influx of new players if it is survive because the player base is shrinking atm, implementing a few new features to try and aid new and generally less active players may well be a way of attracting them to play. Using the above method would still end up with the best and most active players at the top but it would atleast even out the universe slightly.
You can already prelaunch....
<Zhil> I am HC
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Unread 18 Jan 2005, 03:15   #28
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

lol, this thread was made in 2002, i didnt realise until i saw a guy post 'vulture'
so i doubt prelaunch was available back then infact it wasnt
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 03:52   #29
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Oh, lol, just noticed

/me n00bed it
<Zhil> I am HC

Unread 18 Jan 2005, 07:33   #30
Troglodyte

Troglodyte is an unknown quantity at this point

just make attack flight times longer *sigh*, it seems so simple in my head. But the responses will be things like :
-Ahh it changes the dynamics of the game ..
-This has been discussed before..
-It will be easier for defence ...
-Will deter ppl from attacking

WHAT CRAP !
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 08:57   #31
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte
just make attack flight times longer *sigh*, it seems so simple in my head.
Adding 1 to all ETAs isn't necessarily a bad idea.
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 10:25   #32
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Treet
You can already prelaunch....
You couldnt 2 years ago when i suggested it.

I cant see the point in bumping this thread so thread closed.