User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Oct 2002, 15:09   #1
Tracelesh
c00b

Tracelesh is an unknown quantity at this point
Scorpions..

..worth building them?

[R5: Tracelezz of A Mastah Planet. 28:4:12.]
[R6: Sir Taisho of A Total War. 28:25:14. Rank 146. Galaxy Rank 126.]
[R7: Sun Tzu of The Art of War. 15:15:13 Rank 89. Galaxy Rank 17.]
[R8: Driver of The Special Bus. 9:4:10 top50. Galaxy top 450.]

WC3 Winner.
Field of Beauty. 3:8:10. Rank 1. Galaxy Rank 3.
Tracelesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2002, 15:25   #2
Bad Society

Im not cath but I think they r.

Tarant-scorpion-megapod-avenger-(guardian)

Fearsome fleet
Unread 21 Oct 2002, 18:08   #3
Ston3D
Murderous Plush

Ston3D is an unknown quantity at this point
Avengers suck. Better build more guards.

r4: 165:18 - IMMO
r5: 19:2
r6: 34:3 - Titans
r7: 29:15:7 - Titans
r8: 8:4:1(?) - Titans / Plush
r9: 26:6:4 - Olympians
r10 38:6:5 - Olympians
Ston3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2002, 21:27   #4
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Ston3D
That's true.

Scorpions are only useful if you intend to use that fleet, Tarant Megapod, Scorpion Guardian. Otherwise use the Beetle as it is substantially more efficient at stunning FI and faster ETA too .

Scorpions, unlike Beetles, can increase the likelihood of Tarants firing on larger vessels, instead of wasting their fire on FI.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 06:35   #5
Bad Society

Quote:
Originally posted by Ston3D
Yeah I know they suck, but many say its the best M sink caths have... and they flak pods with heavy armour.
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 06:51   #6
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point
/me gets his nice little pirates ready. Yaaaarrrr.
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 09:37   #7
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Auro
/me gets his nice little pirates ready. Yaaaarrrr.
lol, pirates are SO inefficient at capturing CR its not funny.

well, last time i looked they sucked :/
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 15:23   #8
black-eyed boy
ND

black-eyed boy is an unknown quantity at this point
I never really thought much about scorpions and never even thought of having them (despite being cath) but I just accidentally noticed that 1 scorp blocks 63 (:eek:!) vultures (100 scorpions = 5-6k blocked xan co.. you invest 860k score and stop 1.6 - 2.1mill fleetscore worth of xan co).

Shame that they target FI as primary target - everyone attacking you will just send fighters to absorb their EMP, but still if you're active you can defend your galmates vs xan attackers with amazing efficiency (getting defence in return maybe).

Think I'll have some scorps after all, like 6-10% of fleetscore.

Last edited by black-eyed boy; 22 Oct 2002 at 15:28.
black-eyed boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 17:04   #9
Hurz

i like beetles/spider and will only build defender/guardian as kill ships, avenger still sucks and I dont want to use the cr-fleets (only taras) so i have strong ingal fr-kill-def (guardians) and eta advantages all over.

but I have seen 2 days ago what WM can do to a xan fleet.
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 19:06   #10
Helveticus
finnish pokèmon

Helveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Bad Society

Yeah I know they suck, but many say its the best M sink caths have... and they flak pods with heavy armour.
Am I the only Cath player that doesn't need an M sink?

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
We enjoy sucking the fun out of the boards. It's a competition.
Helveticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 20:15   #11
Ston3D
Murderous Plush

Ston3D is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont need one either.

r4: 165:18 - IMMO
r5: 19:2
r6: 34:3 - Titans
r7: 29:15:7 - Titans
r8: 8:4:1(?) - Titans / Plush
r9: 26:6:4 - Olympians
r10 38:6:5 - Olympians
Ston3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2002, 21:52   #12
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally posted by Hurz
i like beetles/spider and will only build defender/guardian as kill ships, avenger still sucks and I dont want to use the cr-fleets (only taras) so i have strong ingal fr-kill-def (guardians) and eta advantages all over.

If you are building Tarants, you might as well build some CR pods to give you a second option to attack with.
Especially if you are building so many BA as well.
Unread 23 Oct 2002, 06:38   #13
Hardrada

Quote:
Originally posted by Hurz
<cough> pulsars
Unread 23 Oct 2002, 09:14   #14
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally posted by Hardrada

<cough> pulsars
well, Pulsars have to get through the FR first... and although they kill FR better, it leaves the DE free the reign havoc on the Xan's FI (which is unhelathy to say the least, even if Pegs are more efficinet).
Unread 23 Oct 2002, 11:19   #15
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Newbie

well, Pulsars have to get through the FR first... and although they kill FR better, it leaves the DE free the reign havoc on the Xan's FI (which is unhelathy to say the least, even if Pegs are more efficinet).
Yes, pegs are more efficient at killing pulsars, but pegs are poo in comparisent to WM when firing on sentinels.
And how many xans out there run equal ammounts of sentinels per pulsar 90%.
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2002, 04:23   #16
Jackson

Peg Flak

Drakes are a terrible ship they simply don't kill enough of what they are supposed to justify building. HOWEVER, I found my self building several hundred just to use as xan flak. Tough and durable is another trait of the Drake. Allowing the drakes to take the hits means more pegs left to hit the figs.... More kill power.
Unread 24 Oct 2002, 20:36   #17
Elerion

I still think it's completely and utterly crap to build Terran FR as Peg flak vs Pulsars. They may be marginally more resistant, but the fact that they
a) get targeted by other ships as well
b) don't fire back with any efficiency
makes them just bad.

Best Peg flak? Pegs.
Unread 24 Oct 2002, 22:02   #18
Jackson

Battlecomp says otherwise

Quote:
Originally posted by Elerion
I still think it's completely and utterly crap to build Terran FR as Peg flak vs Pulsars. They may be marginally more resistant, but the fact that they
a) get targeted by other ships as well
b) don't fire back with any efficiency
makes them just bad.

Best Peg flak? Pegs.
Last round as a Terran, I spent many hours at the battlecomp. And myself and a mate, also a terran, would attack in equal amounts with me doing the calcs. I said send 67 Drakes, 38 hydras and 650 peg..... he checked the battlecomp and asked "why send the drakes, they all die with the first tick?"
Just enough for the pulsars to kill and not enough for the TBTs to target.... the hydras were for the bombers to shoot at and do a little damage too.... total protection for the pegs in the first tick. And the damage was fantastic to the xan figs, which meant fewer ship losses over the next two ticks. Multiply the figures X 2 and see for yourself how much damage can be done to a xan.

Defense is really easier to figure if you have mil scans. Stick with the home fleet. Run just the right amount of flak for the second tick and return for the second tick.... just enough for the pulsars and bombers but not enough for the TBTs to have a crack at. I was attacked twice and used this system.... the xans didnt stick for the third tick.

You can attack ALMOST anyone twice your size IF you happen to have the right ship combinations to take advantage of THIER fleet make up..... it's almost impossible to defend against EVERYTHING.
Unread 24 Oct 2002, 23:17   #19
Elerion

Hm, actually, that was a pretty good idea. Never actually thought about that strategy (using *just* enough for the pulsars to kill). It seems very viable.

I might give it a whirl if I go attacking a Xan sometime soon Just have to make 100'ish Drakes to test with. My beef is with the people that send in 500 Chims and 300 Pegs and think they were some smartiepants because their Pegs don't die first tick

Unread 30 Oct 2002, 04:04   #20
Hurz

Re: Battlecomp says otherwise

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackson

Last round as a Terran, I spent many hours at the battlecomp. And myself and a mate, also a terran, would attack in equal amounts with me doing the calcs. I said send 67 Drakes, 38 hydras and 650 peg..... he checked the battlecomp and asked "why send the drakes, they all die with the first tick?"
Just enough for the pulsars to kill and not enough for the TBTs to target.... the hydras were for the bombers to shoot at and do a little damage too.... total protection for the pegs in the first tick. And the damage was fantastic to the xan figs, which meant fewer ship losses over the next two ticks. Multiply the figures X 2 and see for yourself how much damage can be done to a xan.

Defense is really easier to figure if you have mil scans. Stick with the home fleet. Run just the right amount of flak for the second tick and return for the second tick.... just enough for the pulsars and bombers but not enough for the TBTs to have a crack at. I was attacked twice and used this system.... the xans didnt stick for the third tick.

You can attack ALMOST anyone twice your size IF you happen to have the right ship combinations to take advantage of THIER fleet make up..... it's almost impossible to defend against EVERYTHING.
I would cut out the 'almost'!
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 09:28   #21
Ditcher

Ditcher is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont think ill ever build eta9 ships again. Have to admit scorpions firepower is quite massive tho...
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 11:48   #22
Silva baby
sexy honky chic

Silva baby is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Helveticus

Am I the only Cath player that doesn't need an M sink?
i dun i spend mah money on beetles, bws, roachs, and widowmakers

i sink the rest of mah c into waves or spiders

Ex-Silver BC
Forever in Elysium

i have [FAITH] in myself, [FAITH] in my galaxy, and [FAITH] in my alliance
do you?

[FAITH][SILVER]
Silva baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 10:18   #23
CaptnCappy

mobile PDS

this is one way i look at the scorpion
don't attack with them, us them in defence.
I just let them sit at home and watch as people come and try an make it throu.
Scorpions have 2 major defencive functions. one, the stun the piss out of FI and CO, and two, they are your only hope of effectively stopping BS at home, unless of course, you have 1billion tarants. Face it, tarants suck at hitting FI, and wouldn't it be easier for the scorpion to take care of that for you? with the pesky FI out of the way, then the tarants can really go to town.

as for attacking, and defending, well, with the new OB system, lots of things are possible. like i said above, you need scorps if you really want a chance against dragons and such. with the -1 eta bonus of OB defence, that puts you square one with the wyverns, and give you an extra tick for the dragons.
now the attack part. OB attacking is great. find a person off line, and send for a tick. no one knows you are coming, until its too late anyhow, unless there is some one constantly newsscanning the whole gal.
Unread 1 Nov 2002, 14:57   #24
rhkhdh

Cool Hmm......

In My Opinion, I would think that it would be very useful. They target all the smaller ships and it would stop quite a lot too due to it having lots of guns. But it would be better as a defence ship than an attack one.
Unread 2 Nov 2002, 12:11   #25
Silva baby
sexy honky chic

Re: mobile PDS

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptnCappy
this is one way i look at the scorpion
don't attack with them, us them in defence.
I just let them sit at home and watch as people come and try an make it throu.
Scorpions have 2 major defencive functions. one, the stun the piss out of FI and CO, and two, they are your only hope of effectively stopping BS at home, unless of course, you have 1billion tarants. Face it, tarants suck at hitting FI, and wouldn't it be easier for the scorpion to take care of that for you? with the pesky FI out of the way, then the tarants can really go to town.

as for attacking, and defending, well, with the new OB system, lots of things are possible. like i said above, you need scorps if you really want a chance against dragons and such. with the -1 eta bonus of OB defence, that puts you square one with the wyverns, and give you an extra tick for the dragons.
now the attack part. OB attacking is great. find a person off line, and send for a tick. no one knows you are coming, until its too late anyhow, unless there is some one constantly newsscanning the whole gal.
couldn't have said it betta

Ex-Silver BC
Forever in Elysium

do you?

[FAITH][SILVER]
Unread 2 Nov 2002, 14:02   #26
Ditcher

Re: Re: mobile PDS

Quote:
Originally posted by Silva baby

couldn't have said it betta
Personally I think building ships that cannot be used for helping friends/alliance is a bit selfish.... that is of course assuming you have people that help you also.

Last edited by Ditcher; 2 Nov 2002 at 14:07.
Ditcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2002, 14:44   #27
rhkhdh

Re: Re: Re: mobile PDS

Quote:
Originally posted by Ditcher

Personally I think building ships that cannot be used for helping friends/alliance is a bit selfish....
Well, you can defend them with your other ships and keep your scorpians at home so if you get attacked you get at least some defence!
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 09:33   #28
Silva baby
sexy honky chic

based on ur own ship use
scorpians keeps ur roids at home

2 results

ur score will develop mroe rapidly
u gain mroe resources to build more defence ships
for your alliance
can't lose :P

Ex-Silver BC
Forever in Elysium

do you?

[FAITH][SILVER]
Unread 3 Nov 2002, 09:48   #29
Outcast2k
Debonair

Outcast2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Not that my opinion matters or anythign but as a Xan, if I ever saw a few scorps coming my way on an ob attack and my eta was too low to get anything but fi, i'd rather just go roiding.

[02:29:37] <@Grendels> most of the people in my school don't know what unix is
[02:29:47] <Add> in all fairness why should they
[02:30:11] <Add> would probably get laid more often
R3 : Can't remember
R4 : 169:4
R5 : 29:16
R6 : 21:12
R7 : 14:23

Come and learn how to do naughty things in #cootie
Outcast2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 16:06   #30
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold
Scorpions are basically the most efficient ship in the game, and a must for any cr roiding fleet
________
Hash Honey Oil

Last edited by Kileman; 24 Feb 2011 at 21:03.
Kileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 17:54   #31
Ditcher

With new overburn defence CR-attacking is even worse option than in previous rounds. Another reason why not build Scorpions....

Last edited by Ditcher; 4 Nov 2002 at 18:03.
Ditcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 22:04   #32
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally posted by Kileman
Scorpions are basically the most efficient ship in the game,
except against fighters :P
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 22:19   #33
MrPubes
Lieutnant Commander

MrPubes can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally posted by Ditcher
With new overburn defence CR-attacking is even worse option than in previous rounds. Another reason why not build Scorpions....
explain please...why should cr suffer from ob?
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 22:50   #34
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by MrPubes

Because getting bombers there in time to defend is now SOOooooo easy
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 23:13   #35
Silva baby
sexy honky chic

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPubes

the relative response time to save a fleet from Tulas is easier now
mass corsair and pulsar overburn at eta 5
since cr roiding fleets suffer large eta its bad

Ex-Silver BC
Forever in Elysium

do you?

[FAITH][SILVER]
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 23:19   #36
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:

the relative response time to save a fleet from Tulas is easier now
mass corsair and pulsar overburn at eta 5
since cr roiding fleets suffer large eta its bad
Pulsars don't target CR...
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 23:20   #37
Silva baby
sexy honky chic

*sigh* forgot bout that~ been sendin too many pulsars out these days to def pegasus keep thinkin they target everything =p

Ex-Silver BC
Forever in Elysium

do you?

[FAITH][SILVER]
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 23:24   #38
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
*sigh* forgot bout that~ been sendin too many pulsars out these days to def pegasus keep thinkin they target everything =p
Have to admit I kinda know the feeling hehe
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 03:10   #39
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Newbie

except against fighters :P
Against fighters is where they strive....
________
Vaporizer Review

Last edited by Kileman; 24 Feb 2011 at 21:03.
Kileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 03:51   #40
Xavier March

Re: Battlecomp says otherwise

strive

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackson
your strategy only works against inactives who wont get any defence and wont run their fleets.

against a decent player in a decent alliance, sending those extra ships just gives the defence extra targets (classes) to fire at and if you do send just enough for the home planet to kill in one tick, with defence.. it'll hardly make a difference
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 09:51   #41
Silva baby
sexy honky chic

exactly extra stuff against an allinace is no use

Ex-Silver BC
Forever in Elysium

do you?

[FAITH][SILVER]