User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 29 Aug 2002, 14:25   #1
TGO
Currently Retired

TGO is an unknown quantity at this point
#pa-stay update

Into the second day of running the channel, we are receiving much support from people all over the PA community to do what they can to save pa.

What can you do to help?

It has been suggested that getting 10,000 people to pay to play round 8 would be a step in the right direction.
This sets us a target of around 2,000 new players needed. Alternatively, to get the same number of players to upgrade from their free-random accounts to full accounts for the forthcoming round.

Please support the future of pa by joining #pa-stay

Some people are now making pledges to pay for people from the 2 categories above to play r8. As we have said before, we are just a collection of players, not pa crew, and therefore will NOT under any circumstances be asking for any money from anybody, however you CAN add your name and details to the list of pledges, which when full enough will be passed on to pa crew.

All of the above is purely voluntary, but between all of us, we CAN and WILL secure the future of this game that we love so much.

Thanks.
Unread 29 Aug 2002, 14:27   #2
Velta
Amazing

Velta is an unknown quantity at this point
#PA-pay to make a pledge, ta :-)

Even if we wont save PA, we will still make Round 8 the best yet, and give Spinner&co. some final payoff for there last two years of work - Which im sure youll agree, they are much deserved.
Unread 29 Aug 2002, 14:30   #3
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

Spearhead is an unknown quantity at this point
You have my respect

You have my full support in all of this. I am glad to see you guys are trying to work things out. I admire you for it. I hope all your work will be rewarded with the continuation of this great game.
Lets hope and pray ppl ....

Acid
Unread 29 Aug 2002, 14:32   #4
furyhaterthe2nd

If you can offer to donate an account, PLEASE join #pa-pay . we CAN keep PA going!
Unread 29 Aug 2002, 14:48   #5
Dr_Zaius

Dr_Zaius has a spectacular aura aboutDr_Zaius has a spectacular aura about
Save PA!

If you have an e-mail address supporting PA post it below please!

I have created a chainletter which if you wish to recive you can mail me at [email protected] stating that you wish to recive a copy of the chainletter! Forward it to everyone you know!

Last edited by Dr_Zaius; 29 Aug 2002 at 16:19.
Dr_Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2002, 15:23   #6
yodaa800
Open da mouth!

yodaa800 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: #pa-stay update

Quote:
Originally posted by TGO
Alternatively, to get the same number of players to upgrade from their free-random accounts to full accounts for the forthcoming round.
I believe that spinner actually said there would be no freebies in r8.
[22:47:48] <Metrofx> i was asked if i was gay before in pa
[22:47:51] <Metrofx> i answered yes
yodaa800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2002, 15:50   #7
N0VA
Your Nemesis and Beerg0d

N0VA is an unknown quantity at this point
I applaud the community for finally coming together to support PA Crew. I am intensely amused by the fact that now people are pledging to pay for extra accounts, whereas in the early rounds, nobody even wanted to click a stupid banner

<Peacemaker1> you are projecting images that happen real. like if you were to get shot in a dream, you would wake up with a bullet hole through you
<Nova> that would suck
<RIT> yeh but It would rawk if you dreamt about lesbian orgies
<Peacemaker1> waking up in a pool of lubercant, and with dildo bruses all over. sure would
N0VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2002, 15:59   #8
TGO
Currently Retired

Re: Re: #pa-stay update

Quote:
Originally posted by yodaa800
I believe that spinner actually said there would be no freebies in r8.
That's correct. I meant that the present free-randoms need to be persuaded to play as paying players in r8.
Unread 29 Aug 2002, 16:00   #9
-=*PlaYetZ*=-
retired

-=*PlaYetZ*=- is on a distinguished road
Be sure to visit our official forums : http://www.SavePlanetarion.cjb.net/
-=*PlaYetZ*=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2002, 16:24   #10
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
How much will Round 8 accounts cost?

I'm sure that I am not the only one who will pledge to pay for some other people... but only once I know what the cost will be, and what bulk packages (if any) there are going to be.
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2002, 16:41   #11
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
Re: #pa-stay update

Quote:
Originally posted by TGO

It has been suggested that getting 10,000 people to pay to play round 8 would be a step in the right direction.
This sets us a target of around 2,000 new players needed.
More like 3500 i believe....
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 € | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2002, 16:51   #12
TGO
Currently Retired

It might interest everyone to know that in the short time this thread has been running, we have already received 44 accounts pledged.
Unread 29 Aug 2002, 18:18   #13
Terra Australis

Terra Australis is on a distinguished road
I will be playing, and if we can keep the game going that would be great are all alliances doing the same thing, after all it is all of us that have to pull together friends, allies, enemies etc, after all without this game then there would be no opponents!
Unread 29 Aug 2002, 20:08   #14
Gudgeon

I will be in next round as i have a free entry.
However i may decide not to use this and instead ,
I think you guys are doing great work trying to keep
this game going on past round 8.
Unread 29 Aug 2002, 22:38   #15
furyhaterthe2nd

Re: Re: #pa-stay update

Quote:
Originally posted by General Martok

More like 3500 i believe....
we need 10,000 players
this round had 8400 paid players
10,000 - 8,400 = 1,600 not 3,500
Unread 29 Aug 2002, 23:35   #16
Leinad
DrFlame

Leinad is on a distinguished road
i think some ppl dont understand the main problem and that are PA chances in the long run and they arent good or do u want to make every round in the next 2 years such a campaign?
I can say u it wont solve PA's major problems:
a) The player are bored with PA after 7 rounds
b) U dont get any new player (numbers decrease every round)
c) The game is old and is just based on an old community, it isnt an online game which attracts new players, a text based game isnt any longer enough.
Leinad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2002, 02:05   #17
Terra Australis

Quote:
Originally posted by Leinad
i think some ppl dont understand the main problem and that are PA chances in the long run and they arent good or do u want to make every round in the next 2 years such a campaign?
I can say u it wont solve PA's major problems:
c) The game is old and is just based on an old community, it isnt an online game which attracts new players, a text based game isnt any longer enough.
In answer to your statements

A) I got bored last round cause i was in a crap gal last round, and also had a girlfriend that lived 2 hours drive away, and went there and visited on the weekend and stayed there.
But now i am in a good gal and have pretty good gal mates, even though we are way out of the top 100 we have beaten several players in 100 mill + gals.

B) That is because we have been asking not to make such drastic changes to the game, and also alot of the older players like me have been asking for a round to happen where the older players want ship stats from a previous round to make it more exciting, add in thieves and have one race i guarantee that the noobs was love the extra dimension of attacking with thieves and also defending with them, having thieves encourages defence.

Launching a counterattack on your enemy with some of your thieves also to Capture his ships at home on the return trip if he pulls is another exciting dimension also.

C) Ask anyone in one of the big alliances that and see what they have got to say about there not being a community, if you post on these boards you are a member of the community.
There would be new players coming into the game just not that many that is all!
Unread 30 Aug 2002, 03:16   #18
Valvalis

Valvalis is an unknown quantity at this point
well..

if i can manage to keep my account in the top 10 for the last few days of the round I should be getting a free account for next round (if they still do that anyway). So I will use my credit card to pay for 2 players that I know want to play but have no means to pay. There happy?
Valvalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2002, 03:48   #19
Terra Australis

Quote:
Originally posted by Valvalis
well..

if i can manage to keep my account in the top 10 for the last few days of the round I should be getting a free account for next round (if they still do that anyway). So I will use my credit card to pay for 2 players that I know want to play but have no means to pay. There happy?
If only everyone was prepared to do that, if they had the means to that would bring in alot more players and also alot more money.

By the way i want to know there has been talk of 5th season holding the rights to the coding etc, so is this what the creators gave up when they got 5th season to host Planetarion??????

Also what i want to know is there going to be some people that are trusted that will if they manage to get Pa up and running again, a long shot i know...... also what about paying for it, if they did manage to, I.E secure website etc.

What we should do is run the game by the players for the players...... where everyone would have an equal say...... and there would be no manipulation by the big allances etc, i know another long shot, but anything is possible!
Unread 30 Aug 2002, 05:55   #20
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Makain is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know who owns the source code for PA right now, and that they are not releasing it leads me to several conclusions:

A) They are too proud to let anyone try to make a clone (unlikely)
B) They want to lease/sell it
C) They long ago gave up the rights in exchange for something
D) This is all a farce to get lots of old/new players to come and pay for Round 8 in order to help jump-start Round 9 and save PA. (God I hope so)

Anyways add in E) ect to any other theories.
Makain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2002, 06:18   #21
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point
How about asking Spinner if we manage to get a certain quota of players like 15K paying players, (theoretical), would there be a round 9? Or is it absolutely no way there will be a round 9 no matter what.
Unread 30 Aug 2002, 06:45   #22
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Makain is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Auro
How about asking Spinner if we manage to get a certain quota of players like 15K paying players, (theoretical), would there be a round 9? Or is it absolutely no way there will be a round 9 no matter what.
No kidding. Starting a thread in which we could interact with him would be a great help on clearing stuff up. There are so many questions like "If it goes full p2p than could it stay open or are you still losing cash?" "How many players need to pay to keep PA in safe financial area?" "Why wont you release the Source Code if PA is gonna die, many people want to keep the legacy going!" "Is there any chance PA may still have a Round 9 if some sort of miracle happens in Round 8 or have you definatly put this behind you?".

These are just a few that have been asked and it wouldn't hurt if Spinner or Zeus came out for an hour each day and do some Q & A on the boards where everyone can see, especially after that annoucement.

-Makain
Makain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2002, 07:23   #23
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
You have my written support.
Unread 30 Aug 2002, 09:40   #24
Ralek

Some feedback from the creators will indeed be some help.

I would REALLY like to see this game going on (what else am I supposed to do at work if not).

And btw, great work on this thread

- Ralek -
Unread 30 Aug 2002, 10:39   #25
TGO
Currently Retired

Actually virtually all of the questions raised in this thread have already been answered by Spinner, such as -

*No the source code wont be made available
*Yes the game can be saved, and a good start for securing the immediate future is 10000 paid signups for r8 (an increase of roughly 2k)

Please feel free to visit #pa-stay for live discussion on these issues
Unread 30 Aug 2002, 16:14   #26
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by TGO

*Yes the game can be saved, and a good start for securing the immediate future is 10000 paid signups for r8 (an increase of roughly 2k)
YES

/me opens wallet to count coins
Unread 30 Aug 2002, 17:00   #27
Leinad
DrFlame

Leinad is on a distinguished road
"never touch a dead body"
Leinad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2002, 17:40   #28
DJet
Wearer of The Hat

DJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the rough
I've done my bit

http://forums.jolt.co.uk/showthread.php?threadid=46808

will be spammed abit more later....
Unread 30 Aug 2002, 17:49   #29
skoobs

Earlier on in the round, Spinner let it slip that there was another game nearly ready for release. It all seems a little coincidental that PA is finishing up and the "new" game is being released soon. I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble on saving PA, but if they cannot afford to run one game, how do you propose they run two?

BTW that information was spilled in #CH some months ago.....
Unread 30 Aug 2002, 23:41   #30
D-5

D-5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy

I just dont know what to say exept 'let PA stay'
Unread 31 Aug 2002, 10:48   #31
Greywolf

Re: Re: Re: #pa-stay update

Quote:
Originally posted by TGO

That's correct. I meant that the present free-randoms need to be persuaded to play as paying players in r8.
Im perswaded and ill be playing!
Unread 31 Aug 2002, 11:30   #32
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
Angry FFS

Cheaters are to blame...they scared the people away

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2002, 13:15   #33
Helveticus
finnish pokèmon

Helveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the rough
Re: FFS

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonas
Cheaters are to blame...they scared the people away
I thought you'd quit/retired?

I'll be paying for a couple more people next round as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
We enjoy sucking the fun out of the boards. It's a competition.
Helveticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2002, 14:38   #34
findon

paypaypay!

This round I was freebie, I planned to pay if I ended in a good galaxy, and I did indeed. Unfortunately I didn't have time to play with work and a gf stealing all my spare time.

Next round I've been offered that a mate pays for me, but I'll reject it. My gf goes abroad again, so I'll quit my job and pay my own account, then donate some money to fifth season!!!

Planetarion r0x0r
Unread 2 Sep 2002, 01:10   #35
RooKie
Boy without a toy

RooKie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Leinad
PA's major problems:
a) not that many has played since r1. A shift in todays stagnating politics are the one most important thing to change to make the game more fun.

b) the playerbase is actually not as stagnant as u think. The problem is keeping the new players.

c) its got a more closely knit community than any other game I know of.

WC 2 Winners "TiG's Terrific Tribe" 3:21

Quicknet Webdesign & Neteffects Søkemotoroptimalisering
RooKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2002, 15:47   #36
Terra Australis

Quote:
Originally posted by TGO
Actually virtually all of the questions raised in this thread have already been answered by Spinner, such as -

*No the source code wont be made available

Please feel free to visit #pa-stay for live discussion on these issues
That is a little arrogant from the creators that the source code wont be released, what they are just abandoning us then by looks of it, all those people that have supported them throughout the years that the game has been running.

Well Spinner you know where you can stick that soccer game then!

I think if they dont want the code it could go to someone that could run the game properly.... i mean if the players banded together and created a company and ran the game..... then it would be in the interests to get new blood into the game.

Wondering about how much this would all cost... i mean the alliances around they have servers for there alliance pages etc.
Dont know what it would cost to get a server going etc..... but i mean surely there would be a means and a way to this.
We could all make a new company and buy shares in it.... to support it initially.... and then run it from i dont know what server, but surely there would be one that could run it...... if enough of us were active in this then it might work!

A long shot i know but some food for thought though!
Unread 2 Sep 2002, 20:34   #37
Visp

Exclamation Just an update

Up to now #pa-stay has had a great time both fun and serious about pa.
We are always there-theteam and always available to help.
So far we have approximately 90 accounts been donated to us from various people.
We will NOT deal in the money at the end of this just so you know.
We get approximately 150 people in the #pa-stay room showing support in any ways they can but still we need 2000 accounts more paying and only 150 in the channel it doesnt look to good thinking of it like that,
If you think you can help contribute in any way then join the channel even if it is only idling at least you are supporting the pa-stay efforts in keeping pa.
The tag is just for a fancy thing but its heading towards 2000 people tagged up.
Galaxy tag has 120 gals tagged now i think if you wish to use [PA-stay]
JOIN: #pa-stay and #pa-pay and see if you can help save what is a great game and which will be missed if it goes.
Unread 5 Sep 2002, 11:36   #38
Lantador[VtS]

Quote:
Originally posted by Velta
#PA-pay to make a pledge, ta :-)

Even if we wont save PA, we will still make Round 8 the best yet, and give Spinner&co. some final payoff for there last two years of work - Which im sure youll agree, they are much deserved.
******* no, let them rot in hell for all I care.
Unread 5 Sep 2002, 14:01   #39
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Lantador[VtS]

Well said.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2002, 12:17   #40
TGO
Currently Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Hicks
Well said.
Hicks > *
Clearleh.
Unread 6 Sep 2002, 14:21   #41
Round 3

Quote:
Originally posted by Lantador[VtS]

Lovely to have Lant back in here... He can say it better than anyone else!
Unread 6 Sep 2002, 15:33   #42
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Round 3

Lovely to have Lant back in here... He can say it better than anyone else!
Sadly I share lantadors ideas here....

Well, I'm not going to play rnd8 since i'm a cheap bstard, fair enough. I didn't really take PA that seriously last few rounds anyway.
On the other hand, I do believe it's sad that this community is going to disappear with it. I had/having a great time here and don't know where to go after this (PA has narrowed my internet activity very muchly down to this forum). I'll prolly spend my entire day D/L-ing pron from KaZaa (Not that bad either).

I DO hope someones saves this forum.... I can't be arsed so be posting amongst the mad football-fans, arsenal hooligans or Ajax geeks here when 5S launches their football thingy.
Unread 7 Sep 2002, 08:32   #43
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Terra Australis

We could all make a new company and buy shares in it.... to support it initially.... and then run it from i dont know what server, but surely there would be one that could run it...... if enough of us were active in this then it might work!

A long shot I know but some food for thought though!
Here is also some Food for Thought, 5th Season could do a share issue, and we could each buy some?
The possible incentives would be that for each Share Holder, they get an account at a discounted rate.
Or Planetarion Products at discounted rates, or perhaps Planetarion.com Webmail addresses?

In essence a type of Loyalty Scheme.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2002, 01:55   #44
Terra Australis

But would they do that, and usually as shareholders people expect some sort of Dividend or return...... The Bit about discounted accounts and reduced products to purchase though is a good idea.

I am not sure whether 5th Season or the creators would go for this though!

As they would be sharing what profits they made with the shareholdres, or you could have it like i do in my other share schemes that i am in where you have a divident reinvestment scheme, where the dividend gained is used to purchase more shares in the company.

Just a suggestion that is all!
Unread 10 Sep 2002, 13:50   #45

The forum is down btw...

Im going to start a campaign on the Championship Manager Messageboard to rally some support for the cause....
Unread 10 Sep 2002, 13:57   #46

Here it is...

Youll need to be registered BTW...
Unread 10 Sep 2002, 15:19   #47

I disagree somewhat with the length that the havoc period lasted.

[Keep it civil, thank you -Leshy]

Last edited by Leshy; 11 Sep 2002 at 10:21.
Unread 11 Sep 2002, 01:06   #48
Eli7eDude

the shares issue

this is a fantastic idea, although i dont think that the creators will do this, i think its gone to far to start this now
Unread 11 Sep 2002, 14:57   #49
K03N
Banned

K03N is an unknown quantity at this point
HOORAY FOR THE FOOTBALLGAME!!!!!!!!!!
K03N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2002, 15:58   #50
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
However bad Spinner may have (and has) ****ed up in the past, he IS responsible for something all of us love or have loved at some point.

I believe the players are just as much if not more to blame for what PA has become.

Spinner deserves something in return for what he's done right, and however you slice it, he's done a lot right too.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote