User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 30 Oct 2002, 19:36   #1
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Whats on your clipboard?

Paste and Post.

"s "

Mine is r0x0ring :-) i bet yours isn't.
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 19:38   #2
Grimble
Banned

Grimble is an unknown quantity at this point
THERE'S A BREAST ON MY FACE
Grimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 19:39   #3
vent
Bill Gates sucks my ass

vent is an unknown quantity at this point
All prices exclude VAT unless otherwise stated
Your Shopping Basket

Order Code
Description Qty Price
PB75S UTP Cat 5 Solid 100m 1 £21.27

A37AA Crystal Orb 1 £8.50

RE96E Heat Trans Comp 2ml 1 £1.69

JT49D COB RJ45 Unshld Con 1 £1.69

To view currently available special offers CLICK HERE

Sub-total £33.16
Carriage £0.00
Total VAT £5.80

TOTAL Inc. VAT £38.96

Redeem a Maplin voucher on this order
(serialised discount vouchers only):
- - - -

All online orders are subject to our standard terms and conditions.
UK orders over £30 delivered free.
Orders less than £30 will incur a £2.50 delivery charge.
Orders for Catalogues or CD-ROMs will be delivered free in the UK only.
Export customers click here for further information on delivery charges

Copyright ©1995-2002 Maplin Electronics Ltd. All rights reserved.
Round 4:IPC
Round 5:IPC
Round 6:IPC
Round 7:IPC
Round 8:IPC
Round 9:IPC
Round 9.5IPC
vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 19:39   #4
Androme

"YOU ARE BORING ME ZERIOD"
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 19:41   #5
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
"fab"
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 19:42   #6
Yes Please

2045 is an unknown quantity at this point
<Slizer> i am givin the game to useses
2045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 19:47   #7
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Crispian Mills

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 19:47   #8
Gario
Why is * censored?

Gario is infamous around these partsGario is infamous around these parts
My older brother was convinced that a .txt.pif file he saw attached to one of his emails was actually a text file, and was willing to download it. Thank god I was there to stop him and correct his stupidity.

He also fell for the 'delete imporatntwindowsfile.exe now, it's a virus' hoax, I worry for his safety when he's away from home in uni sometimes.

(I was gonna post this on a thread but for a reason I forget about I didnt.)
________
___
Gario is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 19:54   #9
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
I dont understand the term: Hosts file, could you step me through the process of checking?
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 19:56   #10
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
http://www.airsoftelite.com/news/image/AE-M249Para.jpg
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 19:57   #11
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 19:59   #12
nothingman

HornQuixote: hey, I answered a skiing question correctly on russian roulette last night from listening to you
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 20:03   #13
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

insane_in_da_membrane is an unknown quantity at this point
x-acid-tears-x
insane_in_da_membrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 20:43   #14
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
heh.... coincidence!!!
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 21:11   #15
mogrika

[20:13] <@mist> isn't worldcraft on the hl cd?
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 21:16   #16
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.lemonbovril.co.uk/bushspeech/
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 21:20   #17
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Woof
http://www.lemonbovril.co.uk/bushspeech/
Either someone I gave that link to gave it to you, or you read today's Daily Mirror.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2002, 21:28   #18
cnaw
Ancient

cnaw is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dmt/dmt_writings2.shtml
Falling from grace, the human race
Religion can never unite us
Only a few will stay on the barricades"
-Masterplan
cnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 01:48   #19
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little
http://www.rusarm.ru/products/af/ka50.htm
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 02:02   #20
'|'empest
Stoke

'|'empest is an unknown quantity at this point
[mf]the.bourne.identity.scr[1of2]divx.avi
'|'empest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 02:46   #21
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
nicecup.jpg

heh
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 03:41   #22
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

_RATM_ is infamous around these parts_RATM_ is infamous around these parts
nicecup?

'ok' is mine.

kinda the 'ok' 'ok' 'ok' on msn chats from boring people hehehe
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 03:50   #23
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by _RATM_
nicecup?
ya...filename for the lovely "How About A Nice Cup Of Shut The **** Up" pic
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 03:53   #24
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

_RATM_ is infamous around these parts_RATM_ is infamous around these parts
rofl pld stuff
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 04:05   #25
Xillah

Xillah is an unknown quantity at this point
"Education"
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 10:01   #26
Zapman
Homesick

Zapman is an unknown quantity at this point
Currently empty.
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 11:20   #27
Smudger
I'm not fat, Sarina said

Smudger is an unknown quantity at this point
®
rd 3 - 22:20:19
rd 4 - 246:11:25
rd 5 - 9:3:4
rd 6 - couldn't be arsed
rd 7 - 13:21:9 I think it was...
rd 8 - 61:1:6 Oncoming!! every day
Smudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 11:56   #28
Craleo

http://sabnetwork.com:8080/~soki/tutorials.html
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 15:21   #29
Ulysses
Impudent

Ulysses is an unknown quantity at this point
QUOTE]Originally posted by Insane Badger
[b]

^^^

The above
Ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 15:32   #30
Ðiscorporation

TF70CRD-0018269-JVR
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 17:10   #31
Idi

Assignment 1: Looking at the competition
Introduction
This report concentrates on the theme of online supermarkets. In particular, supermarkets in the UK that allow groceries to be bought online. Most of the big name supermarkets are reviewed, but there are a few notable exceptions, like Safeway (www.safeway.co.uk) and Kwick-Save (www.kwicksave.co.uk) because although these supermarkets do have websites, they do not offer an online shopping service.

All of the websites reviewed have a number of things in common. Firstly, they are all clearly targeted at a similar audience - adults who know about shopping in supermarkets but are novices when it comes to using computers and the Internet. Some thought has gone into keeping each site as simple and easy to use as possible. All the sites use synonyms and ideas that shoppers will be familiar with. The stores can be browsed by virtual aisles, sections and shelves, and items to be bought are placed into virtual trolleys or baskets, concepts new online shoppers should be immediately comfortable and familiar with.

The Competition

The first site I visited was Iceland (www.iceland.co.uk). I was immediately impressed with both the design of the site and how easy to use it was. Online help was available to new users should they need it. I was also pleased that I could browse through my nearest ‘virtual’ store without registering, all that I had to supply was a valid postcode. Popup menus were used extensively for navigating around the site and for browsing through products. A JavaScript capable browser will be needed to display these menus. In fact, many of the sites reviewed require a browser that supports both JavaScript and cookies.

The shopping pages on the Iceland site were very easy to get to. Most products had pictures next to their listing, although the pictures were rather small and unclear. There is an option to turn pictures off that will be useful for those users with a low bandwidth connection. Many products also had a link to click on for further information - details like ingredients, nutrients and usage. Special offer products were also clearly indicated with a little icon.

Adding products to the virtual basket just involved typing in the quantity required then pressing a button labelled ‘Add’. The quantity of each product to be added could also be changed by clicking on up/down spin-buttons rather than using the keyboard. To remove a product from the basket, the quantity of the product had to be set to zero, then an update button had to be pressed. A simple remove button or icon might have been a better idea.

The Iceland site also provided a few ideas on simple meals and recipes. A single click would conveniently put all the products necessary to make the meal or recipe into the shopping basket. Iceland mentions on their site that they will change their recipes and special deals often to encourage people to keep visiting the site.

Iceland also allows users to build up a selection of shopping lists to make future purchases easier.

In order to entice people to register, Iceland offer all people who sign up between specified dates free entry into a prize draw. The prize currently on offer is a Sony digital camcorder.

The next site I visited was Tesco (www.tesco.co.uk). This was a much more busy looking site, with lots of areas to explore, many of them completely unrelated to shopping. Tesco offer an Internet access package and there is a whole tesco.net site acting as a portal to the rest of the Internet.

I can image this site would be daunting to new users because it appears so cluttered, with many adverts and so many areas to visit.

One of the biggest strengths of the Tesco site is the fact that Tesco sell an enormous range of products online, from flowers to electrical products, music to wines. Tesco also offers financial services online including loans, credit cards, mortgages, savings accounts and insurances services.

One problem I had with the site was the fact that registration was required before you could visit the online ordering part of the Tesco site.

The Sainsburys site (www.sainsburys.co.uk) looked just as cluttered as the Tesco site on the first page. Worse still was the fact the browser reported JavaScript errors. Clicking on some of the links failed to take me to the appropriate page when I was using the university computers. The online store was located at (www.sainsburystoyou.co.uk). The site allowed the usual browsing by aisles and shelves, but also offered the option of browsing by recipe. A selection of recipes were provided, under the headings of ‘Starters’, ‘Main Courses’, and ‘Quick and Easy’. Various other seasonal recipe headings were also available, like ‘Halloween’.

The store was easy to browse using the browse by ‘aisle and shelves’ option. The products did not have pictures next to them like the other sites, but clicking on an information button would bring up a picture.

The Sainsburys site did have an extensive nutrition and health area that I was impressed with. Details about vitamins and minerals and how to plan a more healthy diet were among the many guides in this part of the site. Many recipes were also featured, but, unlike the Iceland site, there was not a button that could be clicked to put all the ingredients needed straight into the shopping basket.

Sainsburys also has a student’s zone that contains recruitment information for college or university leavers and learning activities for children in primary or secondary schools.

The main navigational menu on the Sainsburys site was very awkward to use. The menu was too big to fit on one screen so it would seem logical to have scrollbars to see the rest of the menu. Whilst the menu bar did have scrollbars on the front page of the site, throughout the rest of the site the scrollbar had disappeared.

Overall, the Sainsburys site has a good selection of products and a wealth of nutritional information, but it suffers from being awkward to use and a little cluttered.

The next site I visited was Waitrose (www.waitrose.co.uk). The front page was clean and smart. The menu was easy to use and included helpful popup messages when the mouse hovered over the menu options.

The usual recipe and wine guides appeared on the site, but a novel idea was an online invitations page. Invitations could be created then sent out, by email, to all the guests.

The online shopping pages were extremely easy to use. Browsing around the aisles was easy - a simple list box and tree structure design was used that was easier than clicking through menus. Simple icons highlighted products suitable for vegetarians. The site was also very fast and responsive.

Waitrose is another store that offers informational packs to schools through its web site. Many recipes were available, but sadly the recipes did not include a button to add all the necessary ingredients to the basket.

The final online supermarket I visited was Asda (www.asda.co.uk). The front page looked a little cluttered because of all the adverts, but it was easy to use the navigation tabs at the top of the page to quickly get to the shopping pages. It was also easy to browse the aisles, particularly because each area was colour coded. It was also easy to use the sites virtual shopping basket.

The only weakness that I did find with the Asda site is that clicking on the information button next to a product does not show any new information about that product, instead the information only repeated the product’s name and price. In addition, only a few of the products on the shopping pages have pictures associated with them.

Recommendations
After reviewing many different online supermarkets, I can now offer some recommendations for online supermarket sites.

My first recommendation would be to allow new users to try out the online shopping system without needing to register first. Having to register first may put off some users.

Supermarket sites should try not to have pages that look very busy and cluttered. Many adverts on one page make the page hard to read. There should also be a limit to the number of adverts on the shopping pages. Asda only have a single small promotional advert in the bottom right hand corner of the page, it is unobtrusive and serves a useful purpose so this I think this design is ideal.

Navigation around the store should be simple. All the sites I have looked at allow the user to browse the store by aisle, section then shelve. This is the most logical way to browse a store and is an approach users should be familiar with. The navigation could be by menu - Iceland has a good example - or by a tree like structure - the method used by Waitrose. I personally liked the look of Iceland menu system, but I preferred the tree structure used by Waitrose because it took far fewer clicks and less time to navigate to another aisle and shelf.

The shopping basket feature needs to be easy to use. It should be simple to add, remove and change the quantity of any product very easily. Iceland require the user to enter a quantity of zero to remove a product whilst Asda allows removal of an item by clicking a cross button. I would recommend Asda’s approach because it involves just a single click.

Allowing users to compile shopping lists is a very good idea that most stores have adopted.

Providing extra information about products is something customers would greatly appreciate. The minimum information that should be available is whether the product is suitable for vegetarians and whether the product currently has any special promotions or deals. Some stores go further and provide ingredients and nutritional information about some of their products. Details about how a particular product should be stored or how it may be cooked could also be provided.

Having pictures of products is also a good idea. Some customers might be tempted to buy or at least look at a product if it looks interesting. Users with a slow Internet connection should have an option to turn pictures off.

Have an area of the site devoted to meals and recipes. If the meals and recipes look interesting customers may be tempted to make them. This means there should be button to drop all the ingredients necessary into the shopping basket with just a simple click. Users should also be able to print out recipes with ease; some extra online help may be needed here.

Sainsburys have an extensive nutrition and health area on their site. It is extremely informative and useful. All supermarkets should show they care about the health of their customers; so having a few pages devoted to health and nutritional issues would be a good idea.

The final and most important recommendation I would make is to make sure that people will want to come back to the site regularly. Getting people to come back to a site is often a difficult task, but it is vital they do come back if the site is going to be successful. In the case of online supermarkets, customers are most likely to come back if they find it easy and convenient to buy their shopping online. Therefore, making sure online shopping is easy and convenient must be one of the most important goals for any new online supermarket. Encouraging people to try online shopping for the first time and making their experience pleasurable is also extremely important for building up a customer base. Iceland try to tempt new visitors to register by offering prize draws and this may be a successful way to attract new customers. Offering a few discounts to new customers may also work. If a new online supermarket can find the right methods to attract new customers and can keep existing customers loyal and happy then it will be well on the way to being successful.

There we go!
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 17:27   #32
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Idi
Assignment 1: Looking at the competition
Introduction
This report concentrates on the theme of online supermarkets. In particular, supermarkets in the UK that allow groceries to be bought online. Most of the big name supermarkets are reviewed, but there are a few notable exceptions, like Safeway (www.safeway.co.uk) and Kwick-Save (www.kwicksave.co.uk) because although these supermarkets do have websites, they do not offer an online shopping service.

All of the websites reviewed have a number of things in common. Firstly, they are all clearly targeted at a similar audience - adults who know about shopping in supermarkets but are novices when it comes to using computers and the Internet. Some thought has gone into keeping each site as simple and easy to use as possible. All the sites use synonyms and ideas that shoppers will be familiar with. The stores can be browsed by virtual aisles, sections and shelves, and items to be bought are placed into virtual trolleys or baskets, concepts new online shoppers should be immediately comfortable and familiar with.

The Competition

The first site I visited was Iceland (www.iceland.co.uk). I was immediately impressed with both the design of the site and how easy to use it was. Online help was available to new users should they need it. I was also pleased that I could browse through my nearest ‘virtual’ store without registering, all that I had to supply was a valid postcode. Popup menus were used extensively for navigating around the site and for browsing through products. A JavaScript capable browser will be needed to display these menus. In fact, many of the sites reviewed require a browser that supports both JavaScript and cookies.

The shopping pages on the Iceland site were very easy to get to. Most products had pictures next to their listing, although the pictures were rather small and unclear. There is an option to turn pictures off that will be useful for those users with a low bandwidth connection. Many products also had a link to click on for further information - details like ingredients, nutrients and usage. Special offer products were also clearly indicated with a little icon.

Adding products to the virtual basket just involved typing in the quantity required then pressing a button labelled ‘Add’. The quantity of each product to be added could also be changed by clicking on up/down spin-buttons rather than using the keyboard. To remove a product from the basket, the quantity of the product had to be set to zero, then an update button had to be pressed. A simple remove button or icon might have been a better idea.

The Iceland site also provided a few ideas on simple meals and recipes. A single click would conveniently put all the products necessary to make the meal or recipe into the shopping basket. Iceland mentions on their site that they will change their recipes and special deals often to encourage people to keep visiting the site.

Iceland also allows users to build up a selection of shopping lists to make future purchases easier.

In order to entice people to register, Iceland offer all people who sign up between specified dates free entry into a prize draw. The prize currently on offer is a Sony digital camcorder.

The next site I visited was Tesco (www.tesco.co.uk). This was a much more busy looking site, with lots of areas to explore, many of them completely unrelated to shopping. Tesco offer an Internet access package and there is a whole tesco.net site acting as a portal to the rest of the Internet.

I can image this site would be daunting to new users because it appears so cluttered, with many adverts and so many areas to visit.

One of the biggest strengths of the Tesco site is the fact that Tesco sell an enormous range of products online, from flowers to electrical products, music to wines. Tesco also offers financial services online including loans, credit cards, mortgages, savings accounts and insurances services.

One problem I had with the site was the fact that registration was required before you could visit the online ordering part of the Tesco site.

The Sainsburys site (www.sainsburys.co.uk) looked just as cluttered as the Tesco site on the first page. Worse still was the fact the browser reported JavaScript errors. Clicking on some of the links failed to take me to the appropriate page when I was using the university computers. The online store was located at (www.sainsburystoyou.co.uk). The site allowed the usual browsing by aisles and shelves, but also offered the option of browsing by recipe. A selection of recipes were provided, under the headings of ‘Starters’, ‘Main Courses’, and ‘Quick and Easy’. Various other seasonal recipe headings were also available, like ‘Halloween’.

The store was easy to browse using the browse by ‘aisle and shelves’ option. The products did not have pictures next to them like the other sites, but clicking on an information button would bring up a picture.

The Sainsburys site did have an extensive nutrition and health area that I was impressed with. Details about vitamins and minerals and how to plan a more healthy diet were among the many guides in this part of the site. Many recipes were also featured, but, unlike the Iceland site, there was not a button that could be clicked to put all the ingredients needed straight into the shopping basket.

Sainsburys also has a student’s zone that contains recruitment information for college or university leavers and learning activities for children in primary or secondary schools.

The main navigational menu on the Sainsburys site was very awkward to use. The menu was too big to fit on one screen so it would seem logical to have scrollbars to see the rest of the menu. Whilst the menu bar did have scrollbars on the front page of the site, throughout the rest of the site the scrollbar had disappeared.

Overall, the Sainsburys site has a good selection of products and a wealth of nutritional information, but it suffers from being awkward to use and a little cluttered.

The next site I visited was Waitrose (www.waitrose.co.uk). The front page was clean and smart. The menu was easy to use and included helpful popup messages when the mouse hovered over the menu options.

The usual recipe and wine guides appeared on the site, but a novel idea was an online invitations page. Invitations could be created then sent out, by email, to all the guests.

The online shopping pages were extremely easy to use. Browsing around the aisles was easy - a simple list box and tree structure design was used that was easier than clicking through menus. Simple icons highlighted products suitable for vegetarians. The site was also very fast and responsive.

Waitrose is another store that offers informational packs to schools through its web site. Many recipes were available, but sadly the recipes did not include a button to add all the necessary ingredients to the basket.

The final online supermarket I visited was Asda (www.asda.co.uk). The front page looked a little cluttered because of all the adverts, but it was easy to use the navigation tabs at the top of the page to quickly get to the shopping pages. It was also easy to browse the aisles, particularly because each area was colour coded. It was also easy to use the sites virtual shopping basket.

The only weakness that I did find with the Asda site is that clicking on the information button next to a product does not show any new information about that product, instead the information only repeated the product’s name and price. In addition, only a few of the products on the shopping pages have pictures associated with them.

Recommendations
After reviewing many different online supermarkets, I can now offer some recommendations for online supermarket sites.

My first recommendation would be to allow new users to try out the online shopping system without needing to register first. Having to register first may put off some users.

Supermarket sites should try not to have pages that look very busy and cluttered. Many adverts on one page make the page hard to read. There should also be a limit to the number of adverts on the shopping pages. Asda only have a single small promotional advert in the bottom right hand corner of the page, it is unobtrusive and serves a useful purpose so this I think this design is ideal.

Navigation around the store should be simple. All the sites I have looked at allow the user to browse the store by aisle, section then shelve. This is the most logical way to browse a store and is an approach users should be familiar with. The navigation could be by menu - Iceland has a good example - or by a tree like structure - the method used by Waitrose. I personally liked the look of Iceland menu system, but I preferred the tree structure used by Waitrose because it took far fewer clicks and less time to navigate to another aisle and shelf.

The shopping basket feature needs to be easy to use. It should be simple to add, remove and change the quantity of any product very easily. Iceland require the user to enter a quantity of zero to remove a product whilst Asda allows removal of an item by clicking a cross button. I would recommend Asda’s approach because it involves just a single click.

Allowing users to compile shopping lists is a very good idea that most stores have adopted.

Providing extra information about products is something customers would greatly appreciate. The minimum information that should be available is whether the product is suitable for vegetarians and whether the product currently has any special promotions or deals. Some stores go further and provide ingredients and nutritional information about some of their products. Details about how a particular product should be stored or how it may be cooked could also be provided.

Having pictures of products is also a good idea. Some customers might be tempted to buy or at least look at a product if it looks interesting. Users with a slow Internet connection should have an option to turn pictures off.

Have an area of the site devoted to meals and recipes. If the meals and recipes look interesting customers may be tempted to make them. This means there should be button to drop all the ingredients necessary into the shopping basket with just a simple click. Users should also be able to print out recipes with ease; some extra online help may be needed here.

Sainsburys have an extensive nutrition and health area on their site. It is extremely informative and useful. All supermarkets should show they care about the health of their customers; so having a few pages devoted to health and nutritional issues would be a good idea.

The final and most important recommendation I would make is to make sure that people will want to come back to the site regularly. Getting people to come back to a site is often a difficult task, but it is vital they do come back if the site is going to be successful. In the case of online supermarkets, customers are most likely to come back if they find it easy and convenient to buy their shopping online. Therefore, making sure online shopping is easy and convenient must be one of the most important goals for any new online supermarket. Encouraging people to try online shopping for the first time and making their experience pleasurable is also extremely important for building up a customer base. Iceland try to tempt new visitors to register by offering prize draws and this may be a successful way to attract new customers. Offering a few discounts to new customers may also work. If a new online supermarket can find the right methods to attract new customers and can keep existing customers loyal and happy then it will be well on the way to being successful.

There we go!
Wrong.
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 17:42   #33
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
@ECHO off
IF "%1"=="ReCuRs+" FOR %%c in (SHIFT SHIFT GOTO:recurs) do %%c
IF "%1"=="" FOR %%c in (ECHO GOTO:end) do %%c existing filename required
IF not exist %1 FOR %%c in (ECHO GOTO:end) do %%c existing filename required
SET str=
ECHO @PROMPT SET str=%%%%str%%%%>%temp%.\setvar1.bat
FC/N/LB1 %1 nul |FIND "1:" >>%temp%.\setvar1.bat
CTTY nul
%COMSPEC%/E:2048/C%temp%.\setvar1.bat> %temp%.\setvar2.bat
CTTY con
::%opt%ECHO Esc[2A
for %%c in (%temp%.\setvar2.bat del) do call %%c %temp%.\setvar?.bat
%0 ReCuRs+ %str%

:recurs
SET str=
IF "%1"=="" ECHO. first line of input file is blank
SET var1=%1
SET var2=%2
SET var3=%3
SET var4=%4
SET var5=%5
SET var6=%6
SET var7=%7
SET var8=%8
SET var9=%9
:end
Unread 31 Oct 2002, 18:02   #34
ELeeming
Cultured

ELeeming is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/tshirt.php?sku=a173
God Told Me To Do It
Just Another Victim Of The Ambient Morality
Synchronise Your Dogmas
My site (well, kind of. Actually not at all, but it has my name on it in several places)
Aargh! Killer Bee attack! (\o/) (/o\) (\o/) (/o\)
ELeeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 05:56   #35
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts
Re: Whats on your clipboard?

So, what is on your clip board.... two years later?

this is mine... :/ (dont ask)

Come with me my dear
out of this world of fear
Come with me tonight
our passion burning bright

love
dreams
hope.

Come with me my dear
Our sky is simply clear
come with me tonight
catch the sunrise burning bright

I wait for your smile
I long to hear your voice
I keep you in my mind
perfect angel perfectly kind

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 06:29   #36
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Clipboard
7. Any comments made in a racist or facist sense, or glorifying/inciting violence against fellow human beings will be dealt with severely.
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 07:06   #37
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

map->

Last thing I did yesterday was programming it seems.
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 07:42   #38
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

dignity is for people with small breasts
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 07:55   #39
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Ibiza Real Estate
Ibiza Spotlight's recommended real estate agents, offering properties in all of the island's favourite locations. Click here for Services for the House, Pool and Garden

Casa del Sol
3 Offices in Ibiza.
Choose your new home online from over 270 properties.
Offices in Ibiza, Santa Eulalia, San Antonio/San Jose.

Villa Contact - Real Estate Agent
We are a respected and established real estate agent with 18 years local experience, specialising in high class properties primarily in the Santa Eulalia area. Completely Multilingual. Office in Santa Eulalia

Prestige Properties
Real estate agency with many years of experience in the sale of high quality properties. Offices in central Ibiza Town.

BBS Ibiza - Real Estate Agent
Real Estate, Service and Information. Many year's experience in the Real Estate sector on Ibiza. Multilingual. Office in San José.

Houseland Co. Ibiza - Real Estate Agent
We offer tailor made solutions for renters, buyers and sellers of houses, apartments, plots of land, or any other type of real estate on Ibiza. Office near the Ibiza Marina.
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 08:56   #40
skiddy
wild one

K2kb2-bdbgv-kp686-d8t7x-*****

Without the stars at the end obviously.
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 10:59   #41
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

File transfer was unsuccessful. Your computer is out of disk space. Try deleting some files, and then ask the sender to try the transfer again.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 11:15   #42
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ditto

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 13:18   #43
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Valérie
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 15:13   #44
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough

#leftNav UL LI A:link, #leftNav UL LI A:visited, #leftNav UL LI A:active, #leftNav UL LI A:hover {
width: 135px;
padding-left: 5px;
color: #FFF;
font: bold 18px verdana,arial,san-serif;
text-decoration: none;
display:block;
}

yay for work heh
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 16:42   #45
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

PPAR alpha also plays a role in the NFkb pathway. When there is no insult or injury NFkb is in its inactive form bound to IkBa, and so it cannot enter the nucleus. Injury activates a kinase which signals for IkBa to be ubiquitinated and thus NKkb is now active and can enter the nucleus. Once in the nucleus it activates its target genes, which cause in inflammatory response. PPAR alpha causes increased production of IkBa and so prevents NFkb from entering the nucleus. PPAR alpha also physically interacts with NFkb to once again inactivate it. Therefore, PPAR alpha causes decreased inflammation and so less athersclerosis.

4) Describe in molecular terms how mutations in 2 different genes can cause type II hyperlipoproteinaemia.

5) Follwing a road accident, neurosurgery was performed on one of the victims, who recovered. Some time later the patient was found to be suffering from an inherited for of Cruetzfeld-Jakob Disease (CJD), In the light of this hospital contacted all those patients who had appeared to have had neurosurgery in the hospital for some time after the CJD sufferer had been operated on. Explain why the hospital did this and the molecular basis for the hospital’s concern.
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 22:22   #46
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

Kill All Humans

edit: hey, Ive just realised how legacy this thread is, and whats the deal with no allcaps???????

Last edited by CjC; 14 Apr 2004 at 22:28.
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 22:25   #47
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Bersirc
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 23:27   #48
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Whats on your clipboard?

www.unn.ac.uk/
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2004, 23:27   #49
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

and now while home:

http://www.pvponline.com/index.php3
Unread 15 Apr 2004, 10:26   #50
Yes Please

2045 is an unknown quantity at this point

I See Daed People
2045 is offline   Reply With Quote