User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 Nov 2003, 15:33   #1
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Muse

Are just the smashing pumpkins with a better singer, worse lyrics, and crappy piano solos for no reason.

discuss
Unread 25 Nov 2003, 16:29   #2
I'm Not Grimble
dennaB

I'm Not Grimble is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Muse

The Smashing Pumpkins were just Muse with a singer with an inflated ego, a gimmick female bass-player. They should've dismantled the band long before that pile of shit Machina.

Muse are a better live act too.
Unread 25 Nov 2003, 16:32   #3
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

... are one of very few bands doing something different today, and i appreciate the use of pianos. Still, i dont like them very much, but they are certainly better than 95% of the crap thats being released at the moment

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2003, 16:34   #4
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Don't like the sound. If I were to praise a band for doing something different it wouldn't be them, it would be The Mars Volta.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2003, 17:13   #5
Bob The Scutter
Annoying Robot Thing

Bob The Scutter is an unknown quantity at this point

****, the mars volta are utter wank
fo shizzle ma nizzle: a bastardization of "fo' sheezy mah neezy" which is a bastardization of "for sure mah nigga" which is a bastdardization of "I concur with you whole heartedly my African american brother."
Bob The Scutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2003, 17:43   #6
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Scutter
****, the mars volta are utter wank
yes

I like Muse
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2003, 17:54   #7
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
... are one of very few bands doing something different today, and i appreciate the use of pianos. Still, i dont like them very much, but they are certainly better than 95% of the crap thats being released at the moment
um... my point was they werent really doing anything different... unless you count "happening to have a good singing voice and shoving piano bits in" as radically different from SP... who i think would win a fight too... not that thats any argument, just thought it would be nice to watch.

I only made this thread cos they got an "innovation in music" award from Q and that annoyed me a tad.
Unread 25 Nov 2003, 18:21   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Nirvana are just like Mozart except with guitars instead of harpsichords, and writing about stuff.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2003, 18:36   #9
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
um... my point was they werent really doing anything different... unless you count "happening to have a good singing voice and shoving piano bits in" as radically different from SP... who i think would win a fight too... not that thats any argument, just thought it would be nice to watch.

I only made this thread cos they got an "innovation in music" award from Q and that annoyed me a tad.
dislike the songs as i do, plug in baby et al are radically different from anything being done by other modern bands

Unread 25 Nov 2003, 18:43   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
dislike the songs as i do, plug in baby et al are radically different from anything being done by other modern bands
I'd direct people away from the conventional songs like Plug in Baby, and towards something like Citizen Erased.

Although Thoughts of a Dying Atheist is great.
Unread 25 Nov 2003, 19:38   #11
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

i wouldnt call plug in baby conventional.

Unread 25 Nov 2003, 19:40   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
i wouldnt call plug in baby conventional.
Guitar riff/quiet verse/loud chorus/quiet verse/loud chorus/outro

Isn't conventional?
Unread 25 Nov 2003, 19:41   #13
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

The repeated solo of that skill certainly isnt in todays musical scene. How many other bands make the solo the focal point of their songs nowadays?

Unread 25 Nov 2003, 19:42   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
The repeated solo of that skill certainly isnt in todays musical scene. How many other bands make the solo the focal point of their songs nowadays?
I wasn't talking by today's standards, I was talking overall; that kind of song is much more in keeping with the norm than one of the more progressive ones.

Unless you're a big King Crimson fan.
Unread 25 Nov 2003, 19:44   #15
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

my initial post was that muse "... are one of very few bands doing something different today,"

So naturally im talking about todays standards

Unread 25 Nov 2003, 20:40   #16
Richie987
Mistress's fluffer

Richie987 can only hope to improve

Muse are awesome live, but SmashingPumpkins also were, when they played, also awesome. Personally i think trying to compare such bands only leads to no conclusions at all, like comparing Metallica to Nirvana to SmashingPumpkins - who's better?

#1 Galaxy Winner
#1 ********** Galaxy winner
Top 15 ********** planet
Richie987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2003, 20:42   #17
Bob The Scutter
Annoying Robot Thing

Hysteria, the new single is ****in ace.... i was like "whooo" when i heard the album, but then i heard it on the radio weeks later as they are going to be releasing it... bastard..

and you watch people run around and say that this kinda song is the same as any other and what not now because its going to be popular
fo shizzle ma nizzle: a bastardization of "fo' sheezy mah neezy" which is a bastardization of "for sure mah nigga" which is a bastdardization of "I concur with you whole heartedly my African american brother."
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 01:38   #18
I'm Not Grimble
dennaB

I'm Not Grimble is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie987
like comparing Metallica to Nirvana to SmashingPumpkins
Kurt Cobain died. Billy Corgan and James Hetfield are still around providing us with utterly wank releases.

Nirvana wins in sudden death.
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 02:13   #19
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Muse are by far and away the best band around at the moment.

As for them being like the SP,I dont see the likeness. Apart from using guitars and pianos the odd time. The lyrics are hardly crap,the odd time they are a little plain but how many fantastic bands and songs have pointless lyrics (Stairway to Heaven springs to mind)

Matt Bellamy is a true innovator in music to counter Deepflow once again. His guitar setup is truly unique. He has custom made Manson guitars that include built in effects and rare and strange circuitry such as a guitar-face mounted device (copper plate plus bits and pieces) that acts like a theremin and wah.You wave your hand in front of it when its activated and it changes the frequencies.
One has a built in sustainer,like whats acalled an E-bow, which gives a constantly ringing note without having to pluck the strings to maintain it.

He splits channels into several amps on occasions,so does the base player to achive a much larger sound than a normal 3 piece could achieve.

The piano is also more than just an afterthought or gimmick,he uses it to splice the chords he plays on the guitar,he inverts them giving neo-classical airs to songs.
The use of odd scales and eastern influenced phrases also adds to the mix.
For Absolution they used multiple mics on all instuments (up to 20 at a time) and combined them in different proportions to give a unique sound.

Its music on a grand scale,if you cant appreciate that then kindly **** off back to listening to Good Charlotte.
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 02:30   #20
Bob The Scutter
Annoying Robot Thing

ha, caned
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 02:58   #21
FooFighter

FooFighter can only hope to improve

Well where's the harm if they r like Pumpkins in anyway, Pumpkins r no more so then Muse would be carrying on, but i think what u said is total crap u just don't appreciate the greatness of both bands

Im just back from seeing Muse in Glasgow and its one of the best gigs ive ever been to ive not een so knackered after a gig in my life, they have heavy riffs, amazing songs and an amazing atmosphere, what a m8 said Operatic Rock describes them so well, can u imagine what their songs would sound like without the piano intro or in the chorus, or without them riffs they simply wouldn't be the great Muse we know

its simply stupid that u can actually compare these 2 bands, both these bands i consider fantastic and go down as my fave bands i have all their music and i think u r simply talking pants and u really have no idea what u just said cos u don't really know the style of music, im guessing uve heard 1 song from each n though "oh they sound the same"
FooFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 03:06   #22
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

I am seeing muse in Cardiff on the 1st December.

I'll tell you what I think then.

I have seen them before at Reading Festival, but I've forgotten.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 03:17   #23
FooFighter

FooFighter can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeach

ur in for a fantastic gig !! lots of new stuff mixed in with the best of the old stuff
FooFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 03:27   #24
Yeggstry
Connection Established...

Yeggstry has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm seeing them on Friday in Nottingham with my girlfriend \o/

I'd like to see anyone name a 3-piece band that produce that kind of sound sensation - Muse are unique, and that's exactly what appeals to me
R5 - 36:10:16 (Armada)
R6 - 32:16:13 (ViruS)
R7 - 26:3:14 (Infection LT/ViruS TO) (#364 planet, #34 gal)
R8 - 4:3:1 then 3:8:4 (ViruS TO)
R9 - 47:10:5 (ViruS Gaming Community (VGC) Tech Op)
R9.5 - 23:6:4 (VGC Tech Op) (#462 planet)
R10 - 5:2:3 then 5:3:1 (ViruS/Eclipse, #419 planet), Portal Coder
R11 - retired from PA
Yeggstry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 15:21   #25
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFighter
its simply stupid that u can actually compare these 2 bands, both these bands i consider fantastic and go down as my fave bands i have all their music and i think u r simply talking pants and u really have no idea what u just said cos u don't really know the style of music, im guessing uve heard 1 song from each n though "oh they sound the same"
well... they did sound similar to me... not completely similar obviously. Mostly in the style of the songs and the style of guitar... which is of course not exactly the same, they just reminded me of each other.

also... Im not exactly a massive follower of either of them... but i do own and listen to multiple albums of both, so the 1 song thing is a bit... stupid.

And i do actually LIKE both of them... so merely saying "muse are a great band fkoff" isnt really going to get you anywhere.

Also... although i do love Thoughts of a dying atheist MrL... it is probably the poppiest song on that album... imo =D
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 15:26   #26
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

Oi dont knock Good Charlotte, their HARDCORE MAN!!!!21213232*

Anyone who does not realise Im joking will be hunted down and abused by Marylin Manson (the pseudo intellectual, not the queer shock whore)
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 15:54   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncubusGod
The lyrics are hardly crap,the odd time they are a little plain but how many fantastic bands and songs have pointless lyrics (Stairway to Heaven springs to mind)
I love muse.

But the lyrics ARE dire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
Also... although i do love Thoughts of a dying atheist MrL... it is probably the poppiest song on that album... imo =D
That was my point. Hence the although.
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 15:57   #28
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about

I dont see the comparison, its like comparing Garage to Hard House: They both use beats dont they??

The Small Print = Super

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 16:39   #29
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Zyth=-
I dont see the comparison, its like comparing Garage to Hard House: They both use beats dont they??

The Small Print = Super
hard house is about 200 times better than garage though...

anyway, i digress.

i still see the similarity... maybe others dont... but bleh. never mind.

and THANKS for that mrl, most enlightening.
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 16:46   #30
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeggstry
I'm seeing them on Friday in Nottingham with my girlfriend \o/
Rock City? Enjoy the stickiest floor in the world.

If i hadnt been going to Birmingham this weekend i could have met you for a beer or four .
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 19:44   #31
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quazi Starbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeach

I am seeing it as well with my fiance
Quazi Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 08:39   #32
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Not Grimble
Nirvana wins in sudden death.

I miss Kurt
(note: Smells like Teen spirit was voted the #3 best song in the world by some crap magazine)

personally I like rape me

I also demand to not be the only one loving Pearl Jam
I am Idler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 09:56   #33
Yeggstry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Rock City? Enjoy the stickiest floor in the world.

If i hadnt been going to Birmingham this weekend i could have met you for a beer or four .

Nope, the Ice Arena (dont ask me how they're doing that :P)

You could have met genclay as well, she's coming with me to see Muse
R11 - retired from PA
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 10:26   #34
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The ice arena is better, i saw Stereophonics there the other week .
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 13:34   #35
Yeggstry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
The ice arena is better, i saw Stereophonics there the other week .
Great I've been to the Ice Arena before (to go ice skating funnily enough :P), but I have no idea where the part is for the concert, is it in that area?? Perhaps on the top floor...? also how many ppl do you reckon it holds?
R11 - retired from PA
Unread 27 Nov 2003, 14:04   #36
JC
lolly roffle

I've never been there for skating so i'm not too sure if its a separate arena or if they just cover the ice up.

Capacity is about 10,000.