User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Nov 2006, 17:27   #1
[SH]Valle
Flying Hamster

[SH]Valle is an unknown quantity at this point
4th and 5th fleets

how about adding a research and constuction to researching the ability to contruct one or two new launch pads? this would make the whole game alot more interesting for all the big planets and maybe would prevent the silly stockpiling this round has come to. no one wants to attack a planet with 60mil resources stocked. but if u had the option to eventually use 5 fleets every night u would surely see much more spending of res to be able to use the most of it.

maybe even start with only one fleet and work your way up to a final 5 launch pads?

i think this would be much more interesting for the game.

thoughts?
Unread 12 Nov 2006, 18:01   #2
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: 4th and 5th fleets

Yes, but only if we get a decent game overhaul.
Unread 12 Nov 2006, 18:10   #3
rop1964
F Crew

rop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SH]Valle
how about adding a research and constuction to researching the ability to contruct one or two new launch pads? this would make the whole game alot more interesting for all the big planets and maybe would prevent the silly stockpiling this round has come to. no one wants to attack a planet with 60mil resources stocked. but if u had the option to eventually use 5 fleets every night u would surely see much more spending of res to be able to use the most of it.

maybe even start with only one fleet and work your way up to a final 5 launch pads?

i think this would be much more interesting for the game.

thoughts?
the idea of having a 4th/5th fleet is a good idea at base.. i support it..
but putting it in a research tech, i see a few problem with it..

1) it would favor those with huge research capability,
2) would also be highly advantegeous to huge zik fleet with multiple fleet attack.. i can see it.. 1 fleet fi, 1 fleet co, 1 fleet de, 1 fleet cr, 1 fleet bs.. ouch! especially if they re big...
3)would promote multi waving on weaker planet.. not something i m for...
4) it would not prevent stockpiling.. but would open more option to use stockpile for attack.. (which is nice.. but desirable?)

i think a 4th fleet is a great idea.. but as i mention in a previous thread.. i think it should be hard filed and galaxy bound.

[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]uked

Last edited by rop1964; 12 Nov 2006 at 20:01.
rop1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2006, 18:43   #4
[SH]Valle
Flying Hamster

[SH]Valle is an unknown quantity at this point

thats an even better suggestion, maybe start out with 3 fleets, one open to everything, one open to gal only, one open to ally only. then research 1-2 more open to everything
Unread 12 Nov 2006, 21:56   #5
Lei~
~Gon

Lei~ is on a distinguished road

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Sorry but i just lost about 40 lines I had written as response.

In short:

* I think 5 fleets are too much make it 4.
* Researching fleets does lead to various problems, though not unsolvable ones.
Springing to mind would be: a, the ratio of def/att fleets would vary making
defense either impossible or too easy.
b, Big guys would soon have those four fleets while smaller would struggle
longer. <----- Not really a problem for me but im sure some people will
complain.
* If you wanna research I'd start with 2 fleets: 1 gal defense 1 attack.
This would help to keep rounds interesting longer, as at the start of round no
reliable intel will be available about any planets. Also it would strengthen
galaxies as they would be the only ones able to help at the beginning of the
round. I would make the second fleet ally/gal defense and the forth the
second attack fleet. making the fleet only ally defense is undoable thinking of
players that dont have an ally. They'd have a wasted fleet slot.
* It would strengthen galaxies enormously and thats something im very keen on.

Forgot the rest :/
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 02:22   #6
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather see the reintroduction of a fuel resource, and a ship designed specifically to open "jumpgates", thus allowing for more "fleet slots"...

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 09:57   #7
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rop1964
the idea of having a 4th/5th fleet is a good idea at base.. i support it..
but putting it in a research tech, i see a few problem with it..

1) it would favor those with huge research capability,
True, but the research system needs an overhaul anyway.

Quote:
2) would also be highly advantegeous to huge zik fleet with multiple fleet attack.. i can see it.. 1 fleet fi, 1 fleet co, 1 fleet de, 1 fleet cr, 1 fleet bs.. ouch! especially if they re big...
There's still the bash limit. Also, if a Zik has 200k value, 100k in FI and 100k in CO and sends out a FI fleet and a CO fleet, how is that different from a Xan who has 200k in CO and sends out two CO fleets? There is no special advantage for Zik in this idea.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 12:04   #8
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
There's still the bash limit. Also, if a Zik has 200k value, 100k in FI and 100k in CO and sends out a FI fleet and a CO fleet, how is that different from a Xan who has 200k in CO and sends out two CO fleets? There is no special advantage for Zik in this idea.
A Unit scan of the Xan will make it immediately obvious as to the fleet composition of the two units. However, a unit scan of a Zik can give ambiguous results; FI and CO fleets might be similar enough in terms of numbers to confuse the defence, similarly FR and DE, or CR and BA. As such, DCs may potentially have to send two lots of def ships to counter either potential incoming class; thus wasting significant amounts of defence.

Ofc, this presumes that the target cant fleet scan the attacker; pursuing a high distorter policy would be extremely valuable in this case.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 12:24   #9
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
A Unit scan of the Xan will make it immediately obvious as to the fleet composition of the two units. However, a unit scan of a Zik can give ambiguous results; FI and CO fleets might be similar enough in terms of numbers to confuse the defence, similarly FR and DE, or CR and BA. As such, DCs may potentially have to send two lots of def ships to counter either potential incoming class; thus wasting significant amounts of defence.

Ofc, this presumes that the target cant fleet scan the attacker; pursuing a high distorter policy would be extremely valuable in this case.
You're not playing this round

Xan fleets no longer show up on unit scans (except for pods) - they are only visible on mil scans. Ziks at least can be unit-scanned.

Mil scans make faking difficult for zik. In comparison, there's no way to tell the difference between a Xan fleet of 200 pods and 10k fighters, 200 pods and 5k CO or 200 pods and 1k FR (excepting differences in ETA).

Largely as a result of mil scans, faking is no longer a dominant tactic.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 13:10   #10
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
You're not playing this round
Whoops!
Its times like these when i just point at my nickname and just smile .

Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2006, 15:39   #11
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

There was a great thread on this a couple of rounds back which can be found here. Check it out if your curious as to the arguements both ways.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote