User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 24 Sep 2009, 14:52   #1
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice
a multi round ??

what about having a round where everyone is allowed up to 3 planets using the same email address.

maybe hardcode that you cant defend each other / attack with each other / attack your other planets (farm)

why this suggestion ?

1) pa is boring at most times, more planets could help there

2) more money for ZPeti

3) more planets in universe

4) no scanner issues anymore, everyone can if he likes play his own scanner

any thoughts ?

P.s. yes i am bored waiting for my fleet to return from unsuccesful combat yet again

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2009, 14:55   #2
Buly

Buly is a jewel in the roughBuly is a jewel in the roughBuly is a jewel in the roughBuly is a jewel in the rough
Re: a multi round ??

Yes! That would actually be awesome.
Unread 24 Sep 2009, 15:22   #3
Wouter

Wouter is just really niceWouter is just really niceWouter is just really niceWouter is just really niceWouter is just really nice

could be intresting idd
Wouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2009, 15:34   #4
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

The main disadvantage (that I can see) is that it would widen the gulf between the hardcore players and the casual (or even quite active) ones.

In the end this would mean even fewer players - although you're probably right about seeing a (temporary) increase in the number of planets. The trouble is that what the game needs isn't more (hyper)active planets - it needs more "normal" planets to "serve" as targets so that the same players aren't being attacked night after night after night............. you get the picture.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2009, 10:24   #5
neroon

neroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of light

i dont know if i have enough time and willingness to go on with 3 planets.. but the idea is very very very intresting.. having a test round like that wouldnt hurt in any possible way imho..

all thumbs up for that and it really would b quite fun to have next round like that

thanks m0|afk :d
Unread 25 Sep 2009, 11:36   #6
neroon

neroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of light

given a bit of more thought about this.. id say we ought to have a poll or sth about implenting that rule next round :P got me quite excited :P
Unread 25 Sep 2009, 11:44   #7
Zoro

Zoro has a spectacular aura aboutZoro has a spectacular aura aboutZoro has a spectacular aura about

A winning idea here.

It's damn hard to play more than one planet. I should know I've tried it a few times. In round 4 I think I had about 15 and it cost me a relationship.
I agree with the suggestion that they can't defend each other or be attacked - but I would say you should be able to attack with. This would add another dynamic to the game. Maybe you could order the 3 of importantance so galmates could know if they are dealing with primary planets or support.

Instantly I believe the game would be alot more interesting.

imagine 5k planets to choose from when we've starved with less than 2k for so long. AND attacking success would be increased adding to the fun factor.

I also think that all of the planets should be in the same alliance. Like legalised support planets.

This is a great idea.
Zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2009, 12:29   #8
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Let me kill off one myth right away. Saying "it can't hurt" to test this for one round is hopelessly naive.

I'm not sure about this idea. On the one hand I'd like to remove many of the restrictions imposed on PA from the outside (as opposed to hardcoded limitations). On the other I haven't the faintest idea how this will work out, nor how the general player base would react.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2009, 12:51   #9
neroon

whats a good way to find out how it works ? try it
Unread 26 Sep 2009, 01:59   #10
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Before 'trying it' let see if we can 'think about it' a little.

- Would each of the 3 planets count as a separate member in an alliance ?
- Would the alliance limits stay the same ?
- Would the 3 planets be allowed to join the same alliance ?
- Would the 3 planets be allowed to join the same BP ?
- Would the 3 planets be able to exile in the same gal ?

About att/def interaction I see 2 options:
1). Planets can't attack togetherr, they can't def each other. Score is calculated individually.
Drawback: you have to pay more to win.
2). Planets can attack together and def each other. Score is based on the 3 planets average.

Things that are obvious to me:
- The 3 planets could not defend vs each other?
- The 3 planets couldn't attack each other

The matter of adding more planets to the universe is urgent imho, that could be a quick/easy temporary fix.
I prefer the suggestion I made some time ago though
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=197021

Last edited by Makhil; 26 Sep 2009 at 12:45.
Makhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2009, 10:25   #11
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

how about we get the bot planets finished
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2009, 13:47   #12
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil View Post
Before 'trying it' let see if we can 'think about it' a little.

- Would each of the 3 planets count as a separate member in an alliance ?
yes
Quote:
- Would the alliance limits stay the same ?
no, upped to 200
Quote:
- Would the 3 planets be allowed to join the same alliance ?
yes, me for once wouldnt want one player playing in diffrent alliances at the same time, maybe even hardcode it that the commader of those 3 planets =u can only be part of one alliance
Quote:
- Would the 3 planets be allowed to join the same BP ?
no
Quote:
- Would the 3 planets be able to exile in the same gal ?
no
Quote:
About att/def interaction I see 2 options:
1). Planets can't attack togetherr, they can't def each other. Score is calculated individually.
Drawback: you have to pay more to win.
2). Planets can attack together and def each other. Score is based on the 3 planets average.
option 1

Quote:
Things that are obvious to me:
- The 3 planets could not defend vs each other?
- The 3 planets couldn't attack each other
yes

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
Unread 26 Sep 2009, 16:53   #13
Zoro

Zoro has a spectacular aura aboutZoro has a spectacular aura aboutZoro has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Let me kill off one myth right away. Saying "it can't hurt" to test this for one round is hopelessly naive.

I'm not sure about this idea. On the one hand I'd like to remove many of the restrictions imposed on PA from the outside (as opposed to hardcoded limitations). On the other I haven't the faintest idea how this will work out, nor how the general player base would react.
100% right

It could actually hurt the game.

Yes people could complain having to pay treble to compete

Yes some players could be lost (but some could return)

BUT doing nothing I doubt the game can last many more rounds. The rounds are coming thick and fast and each round takes us closer to the end game.

This idea could breathe new life into the game and add some new dynamics AND I repeat COULD.

Maybe some of the extra funds generated could be spent on attracting more players.

I'd say give it a try
Unread 26 Sep 2009, 17:03   #14
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro View Post
100% right

It could actually hurt the game.

Yes people could complain having to pay treble to compete

Yes some players could be lost (but some could return)

BUT doing nothing I doubt the game can last many more rounds. The rounds are coming thick and fast and each round takes us closer to the end game.

This idea could breathe new life into the game and add some new dynamics AND I repeat COULD.

Maybe some of the extra funds generated could be spent on attracting more players.

I'd say give it a try
You never give anything a try. If you seriously think this a good idea, take some time to think about it, trying to cover every possible outcome and handicap, balance and gameplay issues.. With reasons why your multi round would be beneficial while offering solutions to the problems it would cause.

The main problem with this forum is that people make a random suggestion but never really offer much insight into the suggestion or show that they've actually given it much thought. You need to convince people your idea is worth giving it a try, just saying your idea doesnt do that.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2009, 21:54   #15
neroon

light.. this place is also for ppl to make a suggestion and others to discuss and argue about those suggestions.. also everyone can suggest new addons or report any problems that come to their mind..

which alltogether could make up a very nice idea, which also has been thought over alot and from many other players than just the author..
Unread 26 Sep 2009, 22:31   #16
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
You never give anything a try. If you seriously think this a good idea, take some time to think about it, trying to cover every possible outcome and handicap, balance and gameplay issues.. With reasons why your multi round would be beneficial while offering solutions to the problems it would cause.

The main problem with this forum is that people make a random suggestion but never really offer much insight into the suggestion or show that they've actually given it much thought. You need to convince people your idea is worth giving it a try, just saying your idea doesnt do that.
It's up to the people who disagree to pick holes in the suggestion. I think MORPH3US OP explains things quite well.

I think it's a good idea worth a try. It's not up for me to invent holes in the proposal - that should be your job Light (if you disagree with it).
Unread 26 Sep 2009, 23:19   #17
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by neroon View Post
light.. this place is also for ppl to make a suggestion and others to discuss and argue about those suggestions.. also everyone can suggest new addons or report any problems that come to their mind..
Yes but the person making the suggestion should take the time to think about there suggestion before posting it. It just shows a lack of thought or even confidence in the idea.

If you're going to suggest a radically gamechanging idea, then you should show that you've thought deeply about it, spotted most of the problems, how to solve those problems, and how you feel it would change the game (and why thats for the better). Then if you've took abit of time to think about it, summed up what you think would happen if this was implemented and then still think its an awesome idea (which should be implemented) then you should suggest it. You shouldnt just go 'o heres a radically game changing idea.. i havent thought about it much, but meh'.

I'd argue that the forum is for well-thought out suggestions, then other people can offer a different perspective on the idea and maybe spot problems with it that the author didnt (not spot all of the problems).

Quote:
which alltogether could make up a very nice idea, which also has been thought over alot and from many other players than just the author..
You really think the PA Team is going to implement this idea? based whats been posted in here? Its ok to do it for minor tweaks and additions but if you're going to suggest something major, then its certainly not ok.

Quote:
It's up to the people who disagree to pick holes in the suggestion. I think MORPH3US OP explains things quite well.

I think it's a good idea worth a try. It's not up for me to invent holes in the proposal - that should be your job Light (if you disagree with it).
Where did you get that idea from? I disagree with this idea in its current form, If i dont want it implemented.. I dont have to say anything, as the PA Team isnt implementing it. You've got to convince the PA Team its a good idea, its not that ive got to convince you its a bad idea.
Here's it in its current state:
You: Heres this awesome idea, a multi round!
PA Team: well, what about the new players? who only sign up one planet? arnt they at a disadvantage? and they still dont have access to scans?
You: I didnt think about that, i will go talk on the forums to tweak it some more

*next week*
You: Hey, ive changed it to this, so that it helps the newbies as well!
PA Team: well now, that about this? or this?
You: I didnt think about that, i'll go back and tweak it

*week after*
You: Hey ive changed it to do this...
PA Team: stop wasting my time.

If you want the PA Team to implement your game changing idea, YOU have to come up with any problems or abuse it might cause and solve those problems.YOU have to come up with tweaks, formulas, and ideas on how it will help the new player as well as the active player, etc.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Last edited by Light; 26 Sep 2009 at 23:30.
Unread 27 Sep 2009, 11:16   #18
M0RPH3US
idle

Light i would agree with you that a idea has to be well thought out before its posted in here, but i think your major concern here is that noobies dont signup 3 planets, so why not state it like that?

i regard this forums as a place to discuss ideas, no one is able to think of every possible affect it could have on the game, but i at least tried to evaluate it clear enough.

regarding your main concern (i think i hit a hot spot here at least) you say or believe a new player wouldnt sign up 3 accounts, why u think so ?
if its made known you can have 3 planets why only sign up 1 ?

proove me a new player wouldnt and then proove it for 100 new players

Unread 27 Sep 2009, 16:22   #19
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
Light i would agree with you that a idea has to be well thought out before its posted in here, but i think your major concern here is that noobies dont signup 3 planets, so why not state it like that?
No, my main concern is that you didnt think about the idea much before posting it here.

Quote:
i regard this forums as a place to discuss ideas, no one is able to think of every possible affect it could have on the game, but i at least tried to evaluate it clear enough.
It just doesnt seem like you've evaluated it that much, It seems like you've had a 5minute conversation on IRC about it (or just thinking about it when the idea popped into your head) then posted it here for thoughts.

While yes, you evaulated your idea clear enough if it was a minor tweak to gameplay (or existing formula). However, you're suggesting a major change to gameplay and balance, which requires more than a few lines and 5minute thought. This idea has very little chance of getting it implemented as this forum isnt the place for discussion of new ideas (although i wish it was).. The majority of posts will be ' yes i agree, nice idea' or 'no dont be stupid'. Which doesnt help your idea be implemented nor does it give you any feedback.
An example of this is Zoro and neroon's posts (who ironically tried to flame me for posting what i did), they didnt give you any feedback other than 'yeah lets try it'. That kind of talk is pointless.

Quote:
regarding your main concern (i think i hit a hot spot here at least) you say or believe a new player wouldnt sign up 3 accounts, why u think so ?
if its made known you can have 3 planets why only sign up 1 ?

proove me a new player wouldnt and then proove it for 100 new players
If you're balancing the game around a player having 3 planets, shouldnt 1 signup give you the 3 planets?

Also, if your main goal of the idea is to give players access to scans, wouldnt it be easier to find a solution to give players scans earlier and guide them through scanning via quests... Rather than giving a new player the ability to signup 3 planets and hoping they tech into the scanner tree (although youve given them no reason to, or any information as to why).
Unread 27 Sep 2009, 17:44   #20
neroon

tbh i think the main idea here for m0 wasnt to give every player access to scans.. its about making the uni look bigger, more ways to play it (like someome might want a covop planet and scan planet or whatever) and all in all make a change in gameplay

and no, 1 signup shouldnt give u 3 planets.. everyone ought to do it like they want, weather they want to play 1 or 2 or 3 planets and act accordingly(signup the desired nr of em)

also light dont just argue here if this post should have been made or not and weather it belongs here or not.. if u got anyhting to say or ask or suggest then i guess it would help a tad more concerning the implantation of this new feature.. point out things that may concern u or what u dont like, etc.. u can also take it to IRC and just pm m0..
Unread 27 Sep 2009, 18:22   #21
Zoro

Me - I just came up with a great idea
PA team - yes what is it?
Me - well I thought why not leaving the game exactly the same (apart from a few minor tweaks)
Pa team - yes now you're talking - anymore?
Me - yes - why don't we keep the rounds coming thick and fast and gradually whittle the player base down til there are so few players the game becomes unplayable.
Pa team - you're a genius
Me - AND we should give the multihunters more and more powers and tools to catch anyone that wants to add more planets to the universe.
Pa team - Are you looking for a job?
Me - and we have to squash any thoughts or ideas that might bring more player/planets to the game as these ideas may unbalance the game for new players (of which we get so many)
Pa team - I bow to you
Unread 27 Sep 2009, 18:57   #22
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

While everyone else seems to start discussing semantic of a suggestion, I just go and argue against the original points. Pay attention kids, you can learn a lesson here.

Quote:
what about having a round where everyone is allowed up to 3 planets using the same email address.
That's idiotic. You don't want to have to sign up three times in order to get three planets.

Quote:
maybe hardcode that you cant defend each other / attack with each other / attack your other planets (farm)
Why?
1. Farming is far less damaging to the game then playing multiple planets. For one part, farming just generates a constant stream of asteroids for their owners, while multiple planets give them far more coordinated firepower.
2. OK, so you want to limit coordinated firepower ... err, but why? Effectively you would have to be part of 3 different alliances or galaxies then, in order to fully utilize your 3 planets. Makes no sense from a gameplay point of view.

Quote:
1) pa is boring at most times, more planets could help there
More planets only help when there are more players. The real issue with the current universe is the small amount of potential targets, and the flow of roids in the universe. Neither of them get solved just because you can play 3 planets, everyone else would have to play multiple planets as well, otherwise you just make the situation worse for yourself, because now you have to share your potential targets between 2 or 3 planets.

Quote:
2) more money for ZPeti
Uh, not unless you limit the multiple planet feature to paying customers only.

Quote:
3) more planets in universe
See point 1.

Quote:
4) no scanner issues anymore, everyone can if he likes play his own scanner
Agreed, the scanning system is indeed a problem. But just to solve this I would not go as far as allowing multiple planets. Instead we should take a look at how we can make this information accessible in a different way - for example, instead of building amps / dists and research scan types we could just link this to something like covert ops, i.e. you pay resources to some third party which then provides you with the required information. Or maybe add something like observer ships to the universe, which can be installed somewhere and give you rough information.

All in all a horribly presented idea, this way it certainly has no justification for being added.
Unread 27 Sep 2009, 22:10   #23
rUl3r

rUl3r has a spectacular aura aboutrUl3r has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Me - AND we should give the multihunters more and more powers and tools to catch anyone that wants to add more planets to the universe.
Can you please back this up with any sort of proof or stfu and get off this board? Thanks.
rUl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2009, 08:38   #24
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

- If you want to do this, you want to link all the accounts under same login (a bit of work.) This is simply for userfriendly issues.
- Its far more safer to start with 2 accounts, since 3 would need quite some time to master them. Thats enough to cover the scanner issue and it does multiple the targets in the uni. Fighting against bots is not an option for me, wheres the fun in that? Also farming your own accounts is a definate no.

The thinking comes mostly to choose from options
a) Weather we calc the combined or average score of the accounts, or simply give everyone of them their own score to boost which I do prefer.
b) Do we want to restrict the accounts in someway, to make them purely 1 main account and 1 support one. I feel self its better not to restrict them, so u can compete with either of them. Then again if we resrict them to lets say for example def only, scans, it does actually help with the problems in the uni and does not just boost the amount of farming and marchants. Or perhaps allow them to attack only day time, so the fleet movement is 24/7h thing and not only just during nights.

Also its clear we want them both accounts to represent same alliance, would be quite messy to keep up with people serving multiple alliances. Then again gal wise they could be spread awide to get more contacts and so on.

the pros are:
+ more possible targets in the universe, expesially if we resrict the legal support accounts in some way.
+ more tactics u can use and pull for the round, more thinking weather u put all money in one account or split them out even.
+ no real need for support players, as each can support themselfs. This should add some competition to the rounds. Removes the scan accounts making them play for ranks too.
+ more to do in the game, as its sometimes deadly booring.

the minus are:
- if the most active (lets say alliances) get multiple forces in their hands, will it just speed up to deside the winners of the round.
- will this be too much work to master 2-3 accounts, as I see it the game mostly lives due the pre-launch, queue, idle features that support spending less time online.

Last edited by Ave; 28 Sep 2009 at 09:12.
Ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2009, 11:19   #25
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave View Post
b) Do we want to restrict the accounts in someway, to make them purely 1 main account and 1 support one. I feel self its better not to restrict them, so u can compete with either of them. Then again if we resrict them to lets say for example def only, scans, it does actually help with the problems in the uni and does not just boost the amount of farming and marchants. Or perhaps allow them to attack only day time, so the fleet movement is 24/7h thing and not only just during nights.
If you dont restrict the accounts, then the active players in the active alliances will simply make 2 high scoring planets, rather than 1 scanner planet. As they'll still have access to scans. That will just make the gap between the actives/noobs even further.

Then if you do restrict them to 1 scanner, 1 active.. Its a useless suggestion, as you might as well just give the scans to the 1 active planet destroying the need for 2 seperate planets.
Unread 28 Sep 2009, 13:42   #26
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
If you dont restrict the accounts, then the active players in the active alliances will simply make 2 high scoring planets, rather than 1 scanner planet. As they'll still have access to scans. That will just make the gap between the actives/noobs even further.

Then if you do restrict them to 1 scanner, 1 active.. Its a useless suggestion, as you might as well just give the scans to the 1 active planet destroying the need for 2 seperate planets.
No when u can still attack the scan planets, meaning more roids in the universe. Also that will probably increase the need for protection versus covert-ops and so on.
Unread 28 Sep 2009, 14:11   #27
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rUl3r View Post
Can you please back this up with any sort of proof or stfu and get off this board? Thanks.
A bit harsh!!
Unread 28 Sep 2009, 15:21   #28
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
No, my main concern is that you didnt think about the idea much before posting it here.
so whats so much to think about this ? other then how to restrict those multi accounts or dont restrict em, which i evaluated and ofc about that there is diffrent ideas - see Ave´s post

Quote:
It just doesnt seem like you've evaluated it that much, It seems like you've had a 5minute conversation on IRC about it (or just thinking about it when the idea popped into your head) then posted it here for thoughts.
actually this idea isnt new, and certainly i didnt made it up first, however i had no discussion on irc about it, or close to none, i thought lets post it and see how ppl think about it, cause well thats what this forums are for imo

Quote:
While yes, you evaulated your idea clear enough if it was a minor tweak to gameplay (or existing formula). However, you're suggesting a major change to gameplay and balance, which requires more than a few lines and 5minute thought. This idea has very little chance of getting it implemented as this forum isnt the place for discussion of new ideas (although i wish it was).. The majority of posts will be ' yes i agree, nice idea' or 'no dont be stupid'. Which doesnt help your idea be implemented nor does it give you any feedback.
is it a major change? its not like i said lets removing roiding or something, i just suggested to tripple (or double) the existing planets, cause i think everyone would take the opportunity to play more then 1 planet and cause i think more planets is a good thing

who cares who controls em ? if its the same guy or a diffrent one ? teamup attacks exist allready anyhow, but now maybe a nub without irc contacts can teamup aswell etc etc...

yes this place is to discuss new ideas!!!

and there is quite some posts with feedback, you just need to read carefully enough

follow the white rabbit!

Unread 28 Sep 2009, 18:13   #29
Heartless

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
so whats so much to think about this ? other then how to restrict those multi accounts or dont restrict em, which i evaluated and ofc about that there is diffrent ideas - see Ave´s post
Errr, am I just too blind to spot that particular post or have you just made that evaluation bit up?

Quote:
actually this idea isnt new, and certainly i didnt made it up first, however i had no discussion on irc about it, or close to none, i thought lets post it and see how ppl think about it, cause well thats what this forums are for imo
Not disagreeing on this point, but you might want to consider actually defending your ideas with some argument, instead of just telling everyone who considers this a terrible idea to "shut up".

Quote:
is it a major change? its not like i said lets removing roiding or something, i just suggested to tripple (or double) the existing planets, cause i think everyone would take the opportunity to play more then 1 planet and cause i think more planets is a good thing
It is a major change, as it affects the activity reward people get out of playing this game.

Quote:
who cares who controls em ? if its the same guy or a diffrent one ? teamup attacks exist allready anyhow, but now maybe a nub without irc contacts can teamup aswell etc etc...
The question of "who controls them" is important. When it is someone else then you have to ensure that communication with that person will work. Then again this surely is no issue, since you mentioned in your original post that an account should not be able to interact between his planets (see my previous posts on how ridiculous this is).

Quote:
yes this place is to discuss new ideas!!!

and there is quite some posts with feedback, you just need to read carefully enough

follow the white rabbit!
So why are you not taking part in the discussion by actually replying to meaningful feedback? Or is it just that you cannot come up with anything that counters what I said a few posts above? I still do not see a single reason on why this should actually be implemented except for your "I think it is a cool idea" reason.
Unread 28 Sep 2009, 22:50   #30
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless View Post
Errr, am I just too blind to spot that particular post or have you just made that evaluation bit up?
a bit only

Quote:

Quote:
Not disagreeing on this point, but you might want to consider actually defending your ideas with some argument, instead of just telling everyone who considers this a terrible idea to "shut up".
i am trying
however i dont recall telling anyone to shut up

Quote:
It is a major change, as it affects the activity reward people get out of playing this game.
so more active ppl end with a higher score then less active ? whats new about that ?

Quote:
The question of "who controls them" is important. When it is someone else then you have to ensure that communication with that person will work. Then again this surely is no issue, since you mentioned in your original post that an account should not be able to interact between his planets (see my previous posts on how ridiculous this is).
i could imagine the planets are allowed to attack together.(yes i stated diffrent at first)
and i said nowhere that the way how the planets will be restricted or not is in any form final and thought out to the last bit
i hoped for a discussion about that maybe, which we seem to have (next to a lot of kindergarten)

Quote:
So why are you not taking part in the discussion by actually replying to meaningful feedback? Or is it just that you cannot come up with anything that counters what I said a few posts above? I still do not see a single reason on why this should actually be implemented except for your "I think it is a cool idea" reason.
well its a cool idea

the reasons i can see are:

1) more planets
2) more to do (less boring)
3) if attacking together allowed some new stratagies available
4) more targets
5) more galaxies
6) better chances to land somewhere decent (without absuing the eula and signing up dozends of accounts)
7) better chances to have a high ranked planet
8) chance to play diffrent races
9) chance to play ur own scanner
10) chance to play your own covopper
11) more roids
12) more money for ZPeti (most likely)
13) new competition for the winner in combined score ???
14) someone who scans for the alliance, can still play for real, if he likes

so far so good, tomorrow i will look at your other post, simply time didnt allow me to answer it, or lazyness for that matter

Unread 29 Sep 2009, 07:13   #31
ricoshay
Save energy: Be apathetic

ricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
1) more planets
2) more to do (less boring)
3) if attacking together allowed some new stratagies available
4) more targets
5) more galaxies
6) better chances to land somewhere decent (without absuing the eula and signing up dozends of accounts)
7) better chances to have a high ranked planet
8) chance to play diffrent races
9) chance to play ur own scanner
10) chance to play your own covopper
11) more roids
12) more money for ZPeti (most likely)
13) new competition for the winner in combined score ???
14) someone who scans for the alliance, can still play for real, if he likes
1) How about coming up with an idea to draw new players instead of going on a track that will make PA end up with 10k planets and 100 players eventually?
2) Go outside and have a life.
3) No, same old strategies actually (for example: zik + cat), just that this time one player will control both.
4, 5) Can't disagree with those, but my reply towards 1) still stands.
6) Organized exiles from the alliances also help a lot with that.
7) Indeed, especially if all three accounts are in different alliances. :P
8) How is this an advantage? Outside of #3's implications, of course.
9) That would be useful.
10) That would be crap, the universe doesn't need 500 covop planets. :\
11) Direct result of more planets, once again the 1) point stands.
12) Probably.
13) Pointless? Same as the "competition" for most launches.
14) Same as 9).
Unread 29 Sep 2009, 12:04   #32
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoshay View Post
1) How about coming up with an idea to draw new players instead of going on a track that will make PA end up with 10k planets and 100 players eventually?
2) Go outside and have a life.
3) No, same old strategies actually (for example: zik + cat), just that this time one player will control both.
4, 5) Can't disagree with those, but my reply towards 1) still stands.
6) Organized exiles from the alliances also help a lot with that.
7) Indeed, especially if all three accounts are in different alliances. :P
8) How is this an advantage? Outside of #3's implications, of course.
9) That would be useful.
10) That would be crap, the universe doesn't need 500 covop planets. :\
11) Direct result of more planets, once again the 1) point stands.
12) Probably.
13) Pointless? Same as the "competition" for most launches.
14) Same as 9).
1) i am speaking of 2-3 planets each player, so thats not 10k planets and 100 players, do the maths
2) been there done that, no thx
3) ok, cant say much against that, but i still see it as a chance for the lower profiled players to get access to those kind of strategies
4) 5) i win
6) not every alliance is that good in organising this, nor does everyone want to land in a fortress gal, as specially lower alliances fail for survival of those
7) i wouldnt allow those planets to be in diffrent tags, one alliance nick = 3 planets = 1 alliance tag
8) for exampel if you cant decide what race to play, or if there is 2 or more sexy races you want to play
9) i win again
10) i agree we really dont need 500 covop planets, still its a possibility
11) still more roids
12) more money is a good thing, ZPeti was quiet for some time, i wonder if its due to beeing low on food
13) not if you reward it with a free credit
14) winner winner chicken dinner

Unread 29 Sep 2009, 12:16   #33
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
While everyone else seems to start discussing semantic of a suggestion, I just go and argue against the original points. Pay attention kids, you can learn a lesson here.

That's idiotic. You don't want to have to sign up three times in order to get three planets.
easy, signup one time get asked for how many planets (up to 3)
if you choose less your able to start new planets at a later stage via the preferences screen (maybe as late signup?)

Quote:
Why?
1. Farming is far less damaging to the game then playing multiple planets. For one part, farming just generates a constant stream of asteroids for their owners, while multiple planets give them far more coordinated firepower.
2. OK, so you want to limit coordinated firepower ... err, but why? Effectively you would have to be part of 3 different alliances or galaxies then, in order to fully utilize your 3 planets. Makes no sense from a gameplay point of view.
i dont see, or well i do, but i dont regard it as something bad, just a new dimension added to the game
i agree to 2, and changed my mind. coordinated attacking should be possible, cause i think it would add something for the lower ambitioned players, which are not part of super organised alliances

Quote:
More planets only help when there are more players. The real issue with the current universe is the small amount of potential targets, and the flow of roids in the universe. Neither of them get solved just because you can play 3 planets, everyone else would have to play multiple planets as well, otherwise you just make the situation worse for yourself, because now you have to share your potential targets between 2 or 3 planets.
dunno how many ppl actually would not play 3 planets
i would expect everyone to take advantage of that

Quote:

Uh, not unless you limit the multiple planet feature to paying customers only.
i wouldnt limit it like that, i would enable activation for all 3 planets using 3 credits, aka 1 credit each account, or play 3 freebies, or 1 payed and 2 free whatever

Quote:
Agreed, the scanning system is indeed a problem. But just to solve this I would not go as far as allowing multiple planets. Instead we should take a look at how we can make this information accessible in a different way - for example, instead of building amps / dists and research scan types we could just link this to something like covert ops, i.e. you pay resources to some third party which then provides you with the required information. Or maybe add something like observer ships to the universe, which can be installed somewhere and give you rough information.
i agree about scans, and i would welcome a solution where one player doesnt have to dedicate his full round to play scanner

Quote:
All in all a horribly presented idea, this way it certainly has no justification for being added.
<3

Unread 29 Sep 2009, 12:50   #34
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

If a player has to pay 3 accounts to get a chance to win or even compete, it's a big no for me.
I wouldn't play such a game.
Doing well in PA should remain a matter of skills (whatever skills are required to play PA), not a matter of how much you can pay.
Unread 29 Sep 2009, 14:58   #35
Heartless

One thing upfront: I am greatly disappointed by your reply. There is still no reasoning for your points of view. It is therefore blatantly obvious that you really did not put any effort into this suggestion, nor that you are willed to properly develop it.

Quote:
easy, signup one time get asked for how many planets (up to 3)
if you choose less your able to start new planets at a later stage via the preferences screen (maybe as late signup?)
Exactly, if you would have thought this idea through some more before posting it, you would have layed it out directly.

Quote:
i dont see, or well i do, but i dont regard it as something bad, just a new dimension added to the game
What new dimension does it add to the game? The game currently has (roughly) two dimensions only:
  • Grow a kick ass huge fleet
  • Interact with other players

When you now enable people to play three planets at once you actually take away the second point on that list, as I do no longer require to communicate with people - or at least a lot less. After all, I already have 3 planets then with which I can organize attacks. Feel free to enlighten me where it adds this thing you call a new dimension. Growing three kick ass fleets? I don't think that it can really be considered a new 'dimension' in terms of game-play, sorry.

Quote:
i agree to 2, and changed my mind. coordinated attacking should be possible, cause i think it would add something for the lower ambitioned players, which are not part of super organised alliances
Why are you still not allowing defense, though? What makes coordinating defense between your planets worse for gameplay than coordinating attacks?

Quote:
dunno how many ppl actually would not play 3 planets
i would expect everyone to take advantage of that
Personally I would rather stop playing than playing 3 planets now in order to be useful to my alliance - simply because it demands more activity than I can afford. While I agree that this point of view is pretty subjective, it highlights one important aspect: This change rewards the most active people only, those which can afford spending lots of time each day to manage the accounts.

Quote:
i wouldnt limit it like that, i would enable activation for all 3 planets using 3 credits, aka 1 credit each account, or play 3 freebies, or 1 payed and 2 free whatever
And since free planets are pretty much on par with paid planets there is no reason for people to actually spend more money on the game. So where would you see the increase in money Pete drags out of the game from this change?

Quote:
i agree about scans, and i would welcome a solution where one player doesnt have to dedicate his full round to play scanner
At least one point we agree on then, so I guess we can also agree that this is not really backing up your original suggestion?
Unread 29 Sep 2009, 15:13   #36
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

I wouldnt play a game with 3 accounts, 3 times the effort no more reward imo.
And since in a game where u can have 3 to have less is just handicapping yourself, there isnt a choice in the matter.
I would therefore not play at all.
Unread 30 Sep 2009, 10:47   #37
Zoro

Why not put this to a vote?

And then everyone can have an equal say - obviously there are plenty talking in this thread that want things to stay just as they are with very few planets with the game on the edge of being unplayable.

It has only been suggested to try a multi round - if it doesn't work what harm can it do?
Unread 30 Sep 2009, 11:05   #38
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

Quote:
And then everyone can have an equal say
Unless some get 3 votes then some are more equal than others
Unread 30 Sep 2009, 11:12   #39
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Because game design is not a democracy.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 30 Sep 2009, 12:11   #40
Makhil

Quote:
The round name is put to a vote, and you see the result...
Unread 30 Sep 2009, 12:26   #41
neroon

thing with voting is that.. u can make a poll if u like, but the result means jack.. we`ve seen this before

as mz said, its not democracy
Unread 30 Sep 2009, 14:58   #42
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

please no. some of us have a hard enough time playing 1 planet
Unread 19 Oct 2009, 08:05   #43
Tiamat101

Tiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the rough

The problem with having Multiple planets is that its not fair to those people who just play casually. NOT EVERONE IS HARDCORE. I'm but you have to realize this.

By letting everyone have multiple planets would severly hurt the Game.
You will almost eliminate the need for galaxy's or buddy packs. Your alliance is your planet cluster and its not really that fun. If you want to add more balance to the universe in terms of variety. Then make the game more variable. Not just fixed from the start. Have a Tech Tree that is Actually a Tech Tree. Dont have every planet be the same.
Create Battle modifications, Like +15% attack power vs Cathaar ships. Create Random effects throughout the universe, like " a meteor shower destroys one of your wave amplifiers." Create more "non-player" Variables.

Make something to do during the game while waiting for ticks to go by, like a set of mini-games that can be used for small amounts of resources. What EVER it takes. Just dont make more planet with out increasing the player base.

If you want to have more access to scans then start putting difficulty mods on the scans. like +15 amps for the purpose of planet scans. Or what ever. I know it would be kinda annoying to code but putting more things and more actual thought into the game couldnt hurt.

Right now the game is Sit around for 8 hours wait till Night Launch attack, check fleet at eta 4 recall/land build ships. If you get attacked you stay up for a few extra hours plan defense. And start the process all over again.

Make something fun happen. Put in Random events, Create more Bot planets to put in the galaxys that can donate ships/ resources/ special gifts.

There are Tons of IDEAS that are all BETTER than multi planets. GO out and find your own idea and pitch it to the PA team and let them shoot you down. Don't take it to the player base because we will instinctively chew up the idea because we only thing that PA should be HARDCORE players. If that's the case then make a hardcore round and a normal round, Change the Tick Frequency, Make harder stats, add more modifiers, and make Random shit happen. While the "regular" players can play there own games.
Tiamat101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2009, 11:27   #44
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat101 View Post
Create Battle modifications, Like +15% attack power vs Cathaar ships. Create Random effects throughout the universe, like " a meteor shower destroys one of your wave amplifiers." Create more "non-player" Variables.
Did you seriously just discuss creating more non-player variables and fairness in the same gasp? C'mon. A random space alien anally penetrates you. You gain cancer, and your round is ****ed. NICE AND FAIR CASUAL AND ALL.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2009, 14:37   #45
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

option 1 - say "bad idea you suck <insults and denigrating patronization posts inserted here> <low intelligence remark goes here>"

option 2 - say "thx for the effort, and it's great you help creating new views however since you suggest something quite heavily impacting the gameplay we'll have to keep it under review. You energy is appreciated, don't call us we call you, you're great kthxbye."

Sorry guys but you are all heavily sucking in the people skills department. Maybe that's a normal thing with software people but omg my toes curl after reading this thread.

No wonder player base steadily decreases.
Unread 19 Oct 2009, 15:00   #46
Mzyxptlk
mz.

No one who posted here is affiliated with PA Team in any form, shape or way. Most of the people who posted here have absolutely nothing do to with software development. Many of the people who posted here expressed support for the ideas presented here. Many of the people who disagreed have explained why they feel this thread contains bad ideas.

So yeah, get over it.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 20 Oct 2009 at 12:24. Reason: who who!
Unread 20 Oct 2009, 11:32   #47
M0RPH3US
idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
No one who posted here is affiliated with PA Team in any form, shape or way. Most of the people who posted here have absolutely nothing do to with software development. Many of the people who posted here expressed support for the ideas presented here. Many of the people who who disagreed have explained why they feel this thread contains bad ideas.

So yeah, get over it.

Unread 21 Oct 2009, 10:38   #48
Ave

Think about the extra planet as your own wingman, just extra page under your account able to back u up with defence, scans, balance of resources. The wingman needs to be able to be targeted aswell, so the amount of targets increases.

Make the wingman restricted with what he can do, so u still need aid from others, but gain help playing solo and doesnt add so much time needed for the game usage.

You can research, construct the wingman stuff too, so it doesnt all come automaticly, adds another dimension to think over when u plan your tactics.

As people has pointed out, perhaps the pure multi account is a bad idea, seeing the most active players just get more tools to pwn. But some creativity to add stretegia, targets and fix some issues with game by the moons/wingmans aint bad idea imo. The game definately needs some creativity and change to stop game to decrease from players and targets.

I am not much in to random stuff either, I rather want to influence my own game play, but that could add some interest indd and perhaps the systems can be built less random.

Also anything able to make your account look more like your own is good, able to choose some specialitys and how to develope your account and what aspects of it would be more than welcome.
Unread 21 Oct 2009, 12:19   #49
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave View Post
As people has pointed out, perhaps the pure multi account is a bad idea, seeing the most active players just get more tools to pwn.
What I'm really trying to say is that you seriously, seriously (seriously) have to stop discussing the options available in terms of what makes most active players gain more, or win more certain, and turn your eyes in to the light of what would attract more people to play, and fascinate the current players most.

This is more a methodological approach than actual criticism towards any of the (non)sense you may or may not have written. You can't go around the fact that the most active of the players will inevitably be the one that controls his tools the most, and that probably eventually develops the most acute sense of how to play the game well. That's facts you can't circumvent, and those facts apply to most things in life (look around at your uni/work, the people who spend most time in a focused effort to whatever they're doing as per the last samurai, are most likely the ones that succeed best).

You need to drive the discussion to whether being able to control more factors would make the game more interesting or not. I think players generally enjoy micromanaging things, and more room for micromanagement would likely keep people keen longer, and possibly attract more people: as long as this doesn't overly complicate things. The famous "easy to learn difficult to master" is a very effective hook.

What implications this has with more active/hardcore whatever players succeeding better isn't interesting at the slightest. It isn't fair, and it's not going to be fair.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2009, 11:56   #50
Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tietäjä View Post
What I'm really trying to say is that you seriously, seriously (seriously) have to stop discussing the options available in terms of what makes most active players gain more, or win more certain, and turn your eyes in to the light of what would attract more people to play, and fascinate the current players most.

This is more a methodological approach than actual criticism towards any of the (non)sense you may or may not have written. You can't go around the fact that the most active of the players will inevitably be the one that controls his tools the most, and that probably eventually develops the most acute sense of how to play the game well. That's facts you can't circumvent, and those facts apply to most things in life (look around at your uni/work, the people who spend most time in a focused effort to whatever they're doing as per the last samurai, are most likely the ones that succeed best).

You need to drive the discussion to whether being able to control more factors would make the game more interesting or not. I think players generally enjoy micromanaging things, and more room for micromanagement would likely keep people keen longer, and possibly attract more people: as long as this doesn't overly complicate things. The famous "easy to learn difficult to master" is a very effective hook.

What implications this has with more active/hardcore whatever players succeeding better isn't interesting at the slightest. It isn't fair, and it's not going to be fair.
Well I think I answered the interest parts allready and imo it is something that could attract new players if they got any interest at all, its something that changes the gameplay.

I was more aiming that pure multi accounts doesnt change that much, its just mastering more accounts. Making the "multi account" rather as an addon/feature under your curent play account sounds like a better choise.

ie new tech tree to open up a wingmate/moon, see above.