User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 9 Jul 2006, 23:15   #1
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place
My CV

So due to ****ing about a bit too much in my 2nd year I have failed to get the required grades for my job with Deloitte meaning I now have restart the thrilling process of job hunting. Last time though allt he firms had online applications so I never needed to make a CV. I'm a bit unsure on what exactly I should include and the best format for this sort of thing so any help would be appreciated.

You can either view it at http://urwins.com/~adam/CV.doc where you can see how I have formatted it or just read it below. Thanks

PERSONAL DETAILS

Name: Adam Thomas
Address:
Date of Birth: 27/07/1985
Contact Number:
Email:
Driving License: Car owner with a full, clean driving license

A recently graduated Accounting and Economics student who is keen to find a position as a Trainee Accountant. Is reliable, trustworthy, numerate and meticulous. Has a large amount of experience working for a firm of chartered accountants in previous summers, helping to gain a good understanding of what is required of an accountant. Able to work on own initiative or as part of a team, and can deal with administrative duties competently

EDUCATION

September 2003 – July 2006 BSc Econ (Hons) in Accounting and Economics, 2:2 (achieved) at Cardiff University

Core Subjects Studied: Business Finance, Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, Macroeconomics and Microeconomics

September 1996 – July 2003 Aberdare Boys Comprehensive School

3 A levels – History (A)
Economics (B)
Maths (C)

11 GCSEs – Maths (A*), History (A*), English Language (A),
English Literature (A), Geography (A), Physics (A), Business Studies (A), Biology (C), Chemistry (C), Welsh (C) and Religious Education (C)

WORK EXPERIENCE

Summer 2005 R.H. Jeffs & Rowe
Trainee Accountant

A vacation job working for a local firm of chartered accountants. Responsibilities and achievements:

 Assisted the partners on audits where my tasks included checking the goods received book, summarising stock sheets and vouching the cash book.
 Compiled the figures and then helped write the firm’s annual report on the financial situation, and recent trends, of the clubs whose accounts the firm does. This involved extensive use of Microsoft Word and Excel. The report was then sent to relevant local businesses, such as S.A. Brains, and was published in the Western Mail.
 Completed many of the firm’s VAT returns for that quarter.
 Performed numerous bank reconciliations
 Gained experience of using the accounting packages Sage and Quicken.

I have also worked for this firm during the summers of 2004 and 2003. My responsibilities in both of these periods were extremely similar to those in 2005.

COMPUTER SKILLS

I am proficient in general IT skills and also have a large amount of experience in a range of computer programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint as well as the accounting software Sage and Quicken.

I am also able to touch type at around 70 words a minute,

INTERESTS

 While in university I was actively involved in the Conservative Future society. In my 2nd year I was elected treasurer and this was extended to vice-chairman as well at the beginning of my final year. These positions improved my long term financial planning, as I was required to create budgets for each year. My organisational and time management skills also benefited from organising our freshers fayre stall and socials, such as trips to places like Westminster. Some of these socials also required communicating with the other university political societies in order to arrange joint events.

 I was an active participant in the university pool society where I would sometimes help out with the running out weekly tournaments.

 I also regularly went to the badminton, squash and golf societies which helped my time management skills, as I had to ensure that participation in these different societies did not hinder my university work.

 I also enjoy swimming and participated in a sponsored swim for the RSPCA.

 I am an active reader and this led to me being chosen to organise the school’s annual book fayre which involved advertising, setting up the event, keeping track of sales and looking after the money raised.

OTHER ACHIEVMENTS

 During my A level year I was awarded:
Headmaster’s Student of the Year
Economics Student of the Year
History Student of the Year

 In my GCSE year I was awarded the Lloyd’s Bank prize for Economics

References are available on request.

Last edited by midge5; 10 Jul 2006 at 00:39.
midge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2006, 23:30   #2
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: My CV

A couple of points, read through it as I think there might be one or two errors. Example "In my GCSE year I awarded the LLoyd's Bank prize for Economics"

Also a tip from people in the know put in bold at the type your name, and in a largeish font. That way if you phone say a company up and they look for your cv, they will be able to pick it out immediatly if you are following up. Also it stands out more than others.

In your intersts section bend the truth a bit more perhaps

"I also enjoy swimming and participated in a sponsored swim for the RSPCA."

could be perhaps

"I also enjoy swimming and participate in a sponsored swim for the Children in Need every year"

Just a little suggestion, might be a shit one.

On the whole your CV looks quite strong, especially in the word format.

Just keep tweaking and tweaking it.

Didnt Deloitte take you with a 2:2? What happened etc?
Unread 9 Jul 2006, 23:54   #3
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
A couple of points, read through it as I think there might be one or two errors. Example "In my GCSE year I awarded the LLoyd's Bank prize for Economics"
Yeah I've already changed a few which for some reason I completely missed the first few times I read it. Hadn't noticed that one though, cheers.

Quote:
Didnt Deloitte take you with a 2:2? What happened etc?
I had an interesting few days around that time heh. On the Tuesday I was in the pub watching the Spain vs France game and started receiving strange text messages asking about funeral details. My funeral. Turns out someone had managed to change my msn name and thought it would be amusing to say I was dead, no idea who.

On the Wednesday I broke my watch and mobile and then our marks came out that night and I found I only had a 2:2.

Thursday I phoned Deloitte and give them my marks, the woman from recruitment said she would talk to the partners and get back to me with their decision. Later that afternoon she called me back to ask me to email her the reasons I thought I hadn't achieved a 2:1 for when she went to the partners, but I took to mean the partners had been told and wanted more info. So my previously stable computer and internet connection now both go down as I am composing the email meaning I have to run into uni.

Friday she asks for a breakdown of my marks to see how close I actually was but I didn't have these yet and was then told the recruitment partner was out and wouldn't be back till Tuesday. My parents who were paying for my holiday to Prague(was due to fly on the Sunday) now said they wanted me home to deal with Deloitte so I had to cancel that (though they will pay for me to go again in August so I shouldn't complain too much).

That night as I went to bed I could hear some noise, a slight banging. This went on for 15 minutes so I got up but when I turned the light on therewere giant water patches in the ceiling. The flat above had a burst water pipe. The women who live above me were sleeping through the flooding of their bedroom and it was only when me and reception were about to use a spare key to get in that they woke up (We had both knocked a few times) By this point there was water dripping straight onto my bed and into the hall. Sleeping on the settee for me that night. I was woken up at 7am to be told the brilliant news that, the landlord upstairs won't let any workmen in so we can't fix it! ****ing great think I. I have to stay here with water leaks getting bigger, and more appearing. At about midday he relented and they were able to stop water pouring into my flat though loads of stuff got wrecked. Thankfully it wasn't a sewage pipe as originally thought.

That morning my results also came through, I missed a 2:1 by 1% :/ so I emailed Deloitte thinking well, I couldn't get much closer as they will normally round up so if they are willing to consider me this far I must have a decent change. Get a reply then on the Monday, by which time I have moved back home with my parents as my place is uninhabitable, aaying thanks for that we will let you know soon. On Friday then I received a letter saying your offer ahs been withdrawn as we won't accept anyone who has a 2:2 which made me wonder why they wasted a week of my life when I could have been drinking in Prague and applying for other jobs, the bastards.

To top it off my CD player broke, the photocopier in work broke, the gown company lost my order so I have to turn up at 8am on the day to try and get one and then a friend got beaten up by her boyfriend who is now trying to take her kid.

Been an interesting week really

Last edited by midge5; 10 Jul 2006 at 00:10.
Unread 9 Jul 2006, 23:57   #4
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

That's a big section just for 'interests' also you put your grades on a cv? Generally if people really care about it they want transcripts, and it's bad form to put anything other than your GPA (if it was high) on a resume if you have no experience. At least in the US.
Unread 9 Jul 2006, 23:58   #5
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Jesus that sounds like a week from hell, sorry to hear it didnt work out for you. But in the long run you will probably find a better job anyway. Sorry to hear duder ;-/
Unread 10 Jul 2006, 00:05   #6
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

that's what you get for joining the Hitler Youth.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2006, 00:07   #7
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Never mention politics or religion

take the conservative party stuff off.
Unread 10 Jul 2006, 00:15   #8
midge5
mmm lambs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Jesus that sounds like a week from hell, sorry to hear it didnt work out for you. But in the long run you will probably find a better job anyway. Sorry to hear duder ;-/
I'm not particularly bothered about it to be honest. It is stightly frustrating having to go through all these job applications again but when I read I had a 2:2 and then later on didn't have a job I was surprised to find I actually felt nothing. I really didn't seem to care. All I wanted from Deloitte was to get qualified, after that I had no intention of staying with them, and I don't think I will have any problem finding another job which will train me.
Unread 10 Jul 2006, 00:21   #9
midge5
mmm lambs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
Never mention politics or religion

take the conservative party stuff off.
I mentioned it in all of applications back in December and got invited to the next stage in 5 out of 6of them. It is my main example of organisational skills and considering I am applying for jobs as an accountant I think the treasurer bit is also quite useful. I think removing it would do more harm than the normal negative connotations associated with the Tories and it seems to have had a decent feedback for appearing to be more than just a drinking society like a lot of university ones are thought of.
Unread 10 Jul 2006, 00:23   #10
vampy
bound & gagged

vampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud of

It really doesn't flow that well. The first part is in the 3rd person (Has a large amount of experience....) etc...then the interests section is in the 1st person (I was an active participant....), and the work experience section is too, but using bullet points rather than sentences and never saying 'I'. It doesn't really matter how you do it, but it needs to be consistent, and i personally think using 'i am/i was' is the easiest to read, and the least likely to result in mistakes.

The first line 'An recently graduated ' should be A. Or preferably 'I am a'

You mention your eng.lang gcse twice

I dont think you need to say how many a lvls and gcses you got if you're listing them, I'm sure the reader is capable of counting to 11.

"I have also worked for..." I think it should lose the 'have'. Not sure what rule of grammar this is breaking, if any, but it just doesn't read well.

I think you should expand on your profile a little. Aspiring to be a trainee accountant isn't really that interesting...saying you want to train for your aca and go on to be a chartered accountant would be better.

"I am proficient in general IT skills " sounds a little odd to me too.

marital status isn't really needed

"Did numerous bank reconciliations" 'did' sounds a bit lame. performed, or something else might be better. Also "whose accounts the firm does"...fine in everyday speech, sounds a bit lame on a cv.

All in all the content is fine, but it comes across as being written by someone who isn't hugely confident with the english language.

And i agree with yahwe, lose the political reference.

e.v.o.l.v.e
vampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2006, 00:34   #11
midge5
mmm lambs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampy
It really doesn't flow that well. The first part is in the 3rd person (Has a large amount of experience....) etc...then the interests section is in the 1st person (I was an active participant....), and the work experience section is too, but using bullet points rather than sentences and never saying 'I'. It doesn't really matter how you do it, but it needs to be consistent, and i personally think using 'i am/i was' is the easiest to read, and the least likely to result in mistakes.
I did this because most CV help things suggested the profile bit should be written in the third person but then it was fine to revert to 1st person for the rest. I did originally write the work experience bit as paragraphs but was told that large blocks of text like that are off putting so I should convert that to bullet points. The interests are bullet pointed as well, like the work experience, it is just the first one is slightly longer than the all of the others.

Quote:
The first line 'An recently graduated ' should be A. Or preferably 'I am a'

You mention your eng.lang gcse twice
Heh, stupid mistakes. Edited the first bit from simple "An accounting and economics" and forgot to change and then the second English Language was meant to be English Literature.

Quote:
I dont think you need to say how many a lvls and gcses you got if you're listing them, I'm sure the reader is capable of counting to 11.

marital status isn't really needed
These were again both recommendations on CV help sites, though I agree I didn't really see the point (especially marital status) but I just followed the combined convention.

Quote:
I think you should expand on your profile a little. Aspiring to be a trainee accountant isn't really that interesting...saying you want to train for your aca and go on to be a chartered accountant would be better.
All the jobs were for trainee positions on the ACA/ACCA course so I didn't really put that in as it seemed a bit self evident. I then didn't want to specify chartered accountant as quite a few firms don't mention which of the training schemes they actually do (ACA/ACCA/CIMA) so I didn't want them just rejecting me because they do a different qualification to my preferrerd one.

Last edited by midge5; 10 Jul 2006 at 00:40.
Unread 10 Jul 2006, 00:39   #12
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

You won't need a cv for most of the better accounting firms.

Unfortunately its July now and you will have missed the boat for the vast majority of September vacancies. However a lot of firms recruit in Jan, so go to the ICAEW (http://www.icaew.co.uk/careers/) and check for vacancies there.

I've been told by quite a few people I know that it is probably best you don't apply for September and instead ONLY apply for January. This is because any firms that might still have vacancies for sep will only really be looking for the best students (harsh but true). If you apply for sep for top20 firms and they reject you (which might be likely) you'll find it much harder to reapply and get them to consider you in jan. (this is just a piece of advice - take it as you wish).

Instead spend these few months getting work experience (paid/unpaid) elsewhere, so you can show these companies ready for jan intake that you haven't spent your time wallowing in your unfortunate results but that you've gotten on and done work to make up.

Good luck in your job hunt! Don't give up either. I know a lot of people working for firms like baker tilly and grant thornton (where their normal intake is 2.1 minimum and they have 2.2's)
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2006, 02:42   #13
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough

Most people picked up on the main problems above, but no-one seemed to mention the presentation. I made a few quick changes and uploaded your cv here: http://metalmelitia.co.uk/CV.doc

Besides the formatting i changed a few things in the body:

1) removed interests totally - most people won't care and they weren't very relevent
2) no-one really cares about your gcse results - just list the most relevent
3) put everything in 3rd person for consistancy

presentation is a really important factor of cv's that is largly overlooked, in my last job i got 2-3 a day and most were thrown away because they were formatted like yours.

the people that will read your cv will quite likely have a pile of them to go through, if they can't find the relevent points in 30 seconds you will most likely be over looked.

if you print your cv on a fairly weighty cream paper, prefereably something with a decent watermark (http://www.staples.co.uk/ENG/Catalog...affixedcode=WW) it will also help your cv stand out in a pile of standard weight white cv's.

[edit]as you gain more relevent work experience i would also remove the other achievements section as they arn't relevent.[/edit]
Unread 10 Jul 2006, 12:25   #14
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My interests section on my CV occupies two lines, one for the title of 'Interests' and the other of just a comma-separated list of a few extra-worktacular things I like to do, if only to round out my personality a little more than sounding like a studious drone.

GCSE results are indeed largely irrelevant, I have now taken mine off entirely. The main focus of my education section is my degree and the relevant skills that I acquired through completing it, which I tailor to an extent depending on the job (for instance, I highlighted my focus on parallel architectures and distributed systems for one job, and machine learning for another).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add
Most people picked up on the main problems above, but no-one seemed to mention the presentation. I made a few quick changes and uploaded your cv here: http://metalmelitia.co.uk/CV.doc
This version's nicer to look at, but I would still have your name in reasonably large print at the top of the document. I don't know that most people do it, so at least yours will stand out in a pile. Presentation's important; my step-mum's an HR manager and deplores very basically formatted CVs because they're boring to look at. Remember that for a lot of the jobs you might apply for they're going to have to look at tens, possibly hundreds of CVs. It's not exciting work, so the more visually appealing it is the more likely you are to get the guy at the other end to wake up a little bit instead of just moving his eyes over the page and pretending to read.

Given your lack of work experience I agree with your using relevant extra-curricular stuff to highlight your abilities. I would perhaps consider moving a lot of the stuff in your Interests section into a more generic Previous Experience section (drop the word Work) and make it a little more structured (like they were jobs) though perhaps leaving the paid employment at the top of the list regardless of chronology. The other achievements section could be removed since it's not very meaningful (and the stuff in there could, if you desperately wanted, be added to your Profile bit at the top) and referee details added, it just means that all of the details pertinent to your application are on the one document instead of them having to ask you for referee details. It's just an opinion thing but I feel that 'references available on request' comes across as a little arrogant sounding with your lack of work experience; you should be making it as easy as possible for the guy at the other end to process you.