User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 21 May 2006, 13:37   #51
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: the da vinci code

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Read one of the many, many other books that deal with the same subject area, like Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

If it's as ponderous as The Name of the Rose then i shall be avoiding it.

P.S. Did anybody else, who's read The Name of the Rose, find it slightly boring?
Unread 21 May 2006, 15:05   #52
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Um, just as a counter snobbery point I read (and enjoyed) the Da Vinci Code.

No it isn't the best book ever. It won't touch you deeply emotionally. You won't be in awe of the beauty of the language. No deep psychological points will be made clear to you. You won't be transported into the hearts and minds of the characters... etc.

However, it's a ripping good yarn and moves on at a rollocking pace, most enjoyable as cheap escapism. People who hate it to try and make themselves feel more refined are only showing the limits of their appreciative powers and enforced snobbery (probably only started when they heard some literary minded friend rubbish it, although that is of course pure conjecture on my part )

edit: removed wankery.

Last edited by Deepflow; 21 May 2006 at 15:11.
Deepflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 13:30   #53
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

I bought the book at a super market for 99p and the check out girl said 'it will change your life' so i think it might be quite thought provoking for someone who has never really thought about anything before, for someone a bit thick perhaps.
Unread 22 May 2006, 14:46   #54
vampy
bound & gagged

vampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
If it's as ponderous as The Name of the Rose then i shall be avoiding it.

P.S. Did anybody else, who's read The Name of the Rose, find it slightly boring?
yeah, totally. and its not like i normally only read trash and 'didn't get it' or anything. i just found it tedious.

e.v.o.l.v.e
vampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 15:38   #55
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
People who hate it to try and make themselves feel more refined are only showing the limits of their appreciative powers and enforced snobbery (probably only started when they heard some literary minded friend rubbish it, although that is of course pure conjecture on my part :p )

HEY! I *AM* that literary minded friend!
Unread 22 May 2006, 15:40   #56
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi
I bought the book at a super market for 99p and the check out girl said 'it will change your life' so i think it might be quite thought provoking for someone who has never really thought about anything before, for someone a bit thick perhaps.

The only way The Da Vinci Code will change your life is if the book is dropped from a great height onto your head.
Unread 22 May 2006, 15:48   #57
vampy
bound & gagged

vampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud of

my favourite bit was the part where it took them almost a whole chapter to figure out that something was in mirror writing.

e.v.o.l.v.e
vampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 15:51   #58
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
HEY! I *AM* that literary minded friend!
My conjecture is normally spot on!

Seriously though, what is it you hate about it? In detail. Whatever it was it didn't stop me enjoying it, but then I've never been very picky with things. The fact that the plot moved on pretty swiftly and the themes (lol) were pretty interesting made it enough for me to enjoy.

P.S to whoever neg repped me for my previous post - I propose a "read-off" contest where we... read, to prove who has the biggest penis I think.
Unread 22 May 2006, 16:05   #59
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
Seriously though, what is it you hate about it? In detail. Whatever it was it didn't stop me enjoying it, but then I've never been very picky with things. The fact that the plot moved on pretty swiftly and the themes (lol) were pretty interesting made it enough for me to enjoy.

I've not actually read it.

I have however read Angels and Demons and Digital Fortress and found both to be poorly written (i refuse to spend any more of my life reading shitty Dan Brown novels so i'm not gonna be reading The Da Vinci Code).

I'd have to go and get the book to give specific examples of what i consider to be bad writting (and again i'm not wasting any more of my life reading shitty Dan Brown novels).

I know the plot of The Da Vinci Code and obviously i know the plot of the two books of Brown's that i've read and it just seemed to be kinda "wouldn't it be cool if ..."

"Wouldn't it be cool if a plane that travelled so fast we could cross the Atlantic in half an hour* existed but nobody, except some scientists, knew about it."

"Wouldn't it be cool if i could fall from a helicopter from 2 miles up and because i landed in a river be totally OK and go to the hospital and check myself out within 5 minutes or so."

Now fair enough you write you should be imaginative but i don't like his books for the same reason i don't like James Bond movies. IT MIGHT ALL BE SUPPOSED TO BE FUN AND GAMES BUT I CANT SUSPEND MY LOGIC FACULTIES TO THE EXTENT EITHER THE BOND PRODUCERS OR DAN BROWN WISH ME TO!

Now James Bond might be entertaining but if someone tried to convince me that it was the pinacle of film making, that nothing else could compete, that the plot was excellent and so forth, i'd view them as rabidly insane as the person who told me that a Dan Brown novel was good.

*or whatever the **** it was
Unread 22 May 2006, 16:07   #60
Dace
so f*cking zen

By the way my James Bond analogy isn't quite right. James Bond has got high production values. I'm struggling to think of an example of a shitty plotted film with low production values (the production values being the on-screen equivalent to the standard of writing in Dan Brown novels). I know the films exist, i just can't think of any ;'(
Unread 22 May 2006, 16:37   #61
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Name a B-movie, Dace. It's not hard.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 17:57   #62
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
But by all means continue to argue about nothing. I am disappointed the film is crap because I quite like that Amelie bird who's in it and would welcome and excuse to see her perform.
it's not crap, just like the book isn't crap.
it's an alright film, just like it's an alright book.
bits in it are good, just like the book.
etc

Although I got annoyed with the girls french accent
and yes, i know she's french.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2006, 21:15   #63
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I am disappointed the film is crap because I quite like that Amelie bird who's in it and would welcome and excuse to see her perform.
I almost didn't go because of the comments here and elsewhere about it being so shit but it was actually quite enjoyable, even the music was quite good and just fitted well. Everyone I went with had a decent time so I wouldn't be put off seeing it if you enjoyed the book.
Unread 22 May 2006, 22:22   #64
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
By the way my James Bond analogy isn't quite right. James Bond has got high production values.
If anything, that should make it worse - cheap movies with low budgets have an excuse for not being the pinnacle of filmmaking, high-budget movies should be held to higher standards because they have more to work with.

I don't rightly get why The Da Vinci Code is so heavily criticised. Thousands upon thousands of books are released every year, a large portion of which are going to be of worse quality than Dan Brown's work, but we don't have people going off about how those books aren't of Eco or Tolstoj quality and thus are crap. Much in the same way that we watch plenty of movies that aren't ground-breaking, thought-provoking or will go down in history as the most excellent visual production ever, people also might like to read a book that isn't some high pretentious form of prose now and then.

The Da Vinci Code to me simply is a whodunnit in a very interesting setting, with a relatively fast-paced story with an old rehashed 80's theory on the life of Jesus Christ. It's not some life-changing book, work of historical significance or example of highest-quality writing at it's best. But on the flipside, it's not utterly crap either, but quite enjoyable to pass the time while commuting on the train for a day or two or whatever. I'm not going to hate Dan Brown's books just because they are popular or because some people are going all nuts over it - they provide entertainment to me, which is what I care about when I pick up one of those books.
Unread 22 May 2006, 23:26   #65
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
I don't rightly get why The Da Vinci Code is so heavily criticised.
It's like The Matrix Trilogy or FFVII; the people who like it tend not to shut up about it, and it gets an enormous amount of publicity, sales and promotions - it's not exactly any mediocre book, as if I go into the center of Cambridge and walk into a bookshop, I will be visually assaulted by it within 30 seconds.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote