User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 22 Jun 2012, 14:20   #1
Aedolaws

Aedolaws is on a distinguished road
Limiting the number of fleets

I am sure the suggestion has been raised before, but I have never seen any discussion about it. If there is a link, please advise.

What if hostile and defensive fleets are limited per planet/per wave? Say 3 and 2, or 2 and 1, or 2 and 2 for each wave, after that nothing else can be sent to that wave.

I think this would improve the game.

1) It would avoid the ridiculous attack team-ups (i.e. four waves of 5 fleets per wave). As well as avoid ridiculous defense drainers.
2) It would increase the # of targets/galaxies per night.
3) It would tend to make life easier for the smaller gals, and more difficult for top gals. (Since top gals will not drain as much the ally of def fleets, and then cover the rest of the planets in gal)
4) It would probably make crashing less devastating.
5) It would make DCing much easier. While it would take more skills to pick the right 1 or 2 fleets to defend, from what it is currently available from ally, it would no longer be necessary to engage in calculating waves that require more than 10 fleets between off/def. A decision will ultimately be have to be made, and each wave would be easier to mark covered or uncovered, and DC can move on.

The way I see it, the game should be about the individual player’s skills/activity, not about the alliance’s ability to drown targets with an indiscriminate, ridiculous, amount of fleets at any given tick. Certainly, most can see how the top allies have a clear advantage as the game is right now. The top planets of minor alliances cannot simply hope to survive the onslaught from top allies that is sure to come, sooner or later, over and over and with little hope of breaking the cycle.

There are probably cons. Some might even argue that it would be harder to land. For example, I can see planets hoarding resources and building factories enough to cover huge waves. To that I say, I am really not sure how to get around it. But at least, they would have to protect their resources from hacking, cov op can attack factories in preparation for attack, structure killers may do the job, etc. And also, if the waves are from different classes, they might also reduce the ability of the target to cover all of them.

There will be at least twice the number of waves/targets any given night more evenly spread out, i.e., say an alliance with 60 players can send up to 60 waves of teams of 2 [assuming each players is 2 fleeting], say four wave per planet, that is 15 planets fully covered, they can still gang up on a galaxy or two.

Limiting the number of fleets would simply make the game more about choosing the right ships/target/team8, not about 16 players sending each one fleet to a planet, 4 per wave, and the ally sending 10 to 15 fleets to defend, but failing to cover one or two waves. Moreover, it would make ST more meaningful, because as it is right now, it really doesn't matter much.

Instead we might want to limit the number of fleets at any given tick at any given planet at:

a) 3 attack and 2 defense+target, or
b) 2 attack and 1 defense+target.

Last edited by Aedolaws; 22 Jun 2012 at 14:54.
Aedolaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2012, 14:28   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Limiting the number of fleets

No. No, no, no, no.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2012, 14:33   #3
Influence
Finally retired

Influence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
No. No, no, no, no.
i couldn´t agree more with this assessment!

In the absence of the good old TiT alliance, look me up in VGN
Influence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2012, 14:47   #4
Influence
Finally retired

Influence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to beholdInfluence is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aedolaws View Post
1) It would avoid the ridiculous attack team-ups (i.e. four waves of 5 fleets per wave). As well as avoid ridiculous defense drainers.
2) It would increase the # of targets/galaxies per night.
3) It would tend to make life easier for the smaller gals, and more difficult for top gals. (Since top gals will not drain as much the ally of def fleets, and then cover the rest of the planets in gal)
4) It would probably make crashing less devastating.
5) It would make DCing much easier. While it would take more skills to pick the right 1 or 2 fleets to defend, from what it is currently available from ally, it would no longer be necessary to engage in calculating waves that require more than 10 fleets between off/def. A decision will ultimately be have to be made, and each wave would be easier to mark covered or uncovered, and DC can move on.
1) And how would you handle 2 alliances picking on 1 galaxy? first come first serve when launching (and thus a guaranteed failed attack, as it is easy to stop 2 fleets of different classes)? block a target if it is picked by alliance A(giving away the fact a galaxy is going to be attacked ages before prelaunch even)?

2) How is more targets getting hit a better thing for the smaller alliances? surely those targets have to come from somewhere and it won't allways be the bigger alliances that get the extra inc. In fact it will just mean more incs for the smaller allies if you ask me.

3) No it wouldnt, bigger gals have bigger value, and thus need bigger attacks. Limiting the maximum number of incs a gal can get will just make it easier for big gals to defend against it. In the end it will just make the big bigger and the small smaller, and remove the middle layer.

4) Crashing is BAD mmkay, as it should be!

5) No it wouldn't, as it would require bigger, more specific deffleets. Right now on a good day you can just 'flush' a member with def without it hurting your ally overall, and on bad days you allready need to distribute deffleets in the way you would after implementing this.

In the absence of the good old TiT alliance, look me up in VGN
Influence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2012, 14:58   #5
Aedolaws

heh, just a suggestion. I am sure I could reasonably counter every point you make Influence, except #3 perhaps, which I sort of addressed in my post.

Maybe an easy fix would be that the limits do not apply for the top 10 gals. Or maybe that would make it worse. I really don't know.

Hey, maybe the idea sucks, as Mzyxptlk eloquently suggested.

Last edited by Aedolaws; 22 Jun 2012 at 15:06.
Unread 22 Jun 2012, 16:06   #6
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light

I think its a bad idea. If your above suggestion is implemented it will lead to much less attacking and a much more boring round. I am going to illustrate this with the following examples:

The PA universe is tiny, only a few hundred planets. Most people know most other people especially HC's and high profile planets/players/galaxies. As such if a high profile target is taken it will generally leak 60% of the time. If I am a HC and 1 of my big galaxies or planet is being hit I would get a scanner to find out when they will get hit if I didnt know already. Then I would get an ally or a friend that is outside of the tag to send a hostile fleet consisting of 1 ship or a fake hostile fleet to land at the same tick as the true hostile fleet. In this way I have effectively blunted the attack on the galaxy. This also means that the galaxy can more efficiently cross defend the incomings from the real hostile to stop any landing or if someone does land that they benefit.

Now the counter to that is that the true hostile attackers could PL their attack. In this way they guarantee that they get the slots and landing tick and the above scenario cannot be used to blunt their attack. Well if thats the case then planets can jpg scan themselves to see if they have incomings. Then they can get someone that is outside of their tag send an attack fleet at different ticks until they come across a particular landing tick they cannot attack at. That landing tick would be the landing tick that the true hostiles would land at. Now the DC/alliance/galaxy has lots of time to gather defense or even launch a counter.

To stop the above scenario you would have to do live launches. But if you do live launches then you might run into scenario 1. Also lets face it, live launches only happen with the truly dedicated players/attack groups. Most people PL and then go to bed and only wake up if called/texted/smsed for defense/incomings.

And the last scenario I shall put forth is that PA can be recoded so that it will allow multiple fleets to be sent out at a target. Ie if the limit is 2 attack fleets per planet per wave and 4 have been launched for the same landing tick it will allow that. The only stipulation is that the 1st 2 attack fleets will launch and the other 2 wont. This will hinder a lot of planets that use PL. They will launch thinking they actually launched and go to bed. When they wake up in the morning to check at eta 1/2 they will see that their fleets didnt actually launch. This means no roid gains for the night. If this keeps up for a few nights they will get discouraged and leave. Plus the above can be countered easily by alliances agreeing to send fake hostiles to screw up an enemy attack, go see scenario 1.

Those are the holes I can see in your suggestion just off the top of my head. I am sure there are others but I think you get the point.

Est Sularus oth Mithas
My Honour is My Life, My Life is My Honour
RexDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2012, 16:33   #7
Aedolaws

Good points. Makes sense. I like them.
Unread 22 Jun 2012, 17:25   #8
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

It's a friggin war game, we have 'freeedom of casualties', ffs
YOu have had better ideas..
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2012, 11:56   #9
Reincarnate
ToF

Reincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to all

some replied were tl;dr but here is why it wouldnt work. Red Defence. Find out your gal is getting incs, ask an ally ur napped with (not ingame) to launch fleets so there other ally cannot attack. have out of tag planets thats only purpose is to launch attacks on your allies bigger planet so they cant get as much inc.

also, its just a bad idea. lemming runs are win.
[19:10] <coffee-> dont worry about Reincarnate he is an angry man

R1 - 9 none | R10.5 - 13 [ToF] | R14 [Reunion] | R15-17 [Subh] | R18 - 36 PA vacation | R37 [Evo] | R38 [NFI] | R39 & 40 [ToF] | R41 [Omega] | R42 - 47 [ToF][HC]
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2012, 13:42   #10
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

RexDrax and Reincarnate have both beaten me to the point that I was going to make. Abuse, in one form or another, would be inevitable.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote