User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 15 Apr 2016, 21:22   #1
Webulations

Webulations is an unknown quantity at this point
Planet-Based Defence

Ok, so no doubt a suggestion that will get shot down, but here goes...

One of the big criticisms of PA right now is that it becomes very defensive. My suggestion on the face of it is defensive, but I actually think it will encourage more attacking as it will free up more fleets for attacking....

Really it's as the title suggests - being able to build structures that are actually planet-based defence (surface to air missiles if you like).

Not sure how it might work, but perhaps you have different structures that can target different ships, in the same way ships do - perhaps even with different structures for each race, which specific work in conjunction with the ships they have available.

I seem to recall PA had something similar to this way back when, so perhaps that's a good indication that it sucked, but nvm.

My thinking behind this is that particularly within a Gal or an Ally you can work towards having a shiptype that is covered by structures, meaning you can attack with those ships without having to worry about keeping them back for def.

Potentially planet based structures could have some form of accuracy rating, so there is a potential for misses, considering the shots are being fired at a longer distance against a small target (although god forbid we include anything that could introduce an element of luck which can't be bcalc'ed!!)

Anway, that's about it... let the bashing begin!
Webulations is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2016, 22:53   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Planet-Based Defence

No one attacks without being able to do a near-clean wipe of the defending forces of the home planet, whether they be fleets or PBS. If everyone has a significant fraction of their value in forces that can only be used for self-defense, then that leads to more defensive forces and less attacking forces: that's the definition of making the game more defensive.

Additionally, historically, PBS could not be hidden or ran. Therefore, the game developers were faced with a conundrum: either accept it'll remained completely unused, because players couldn't protect it from overwhelming forces, which every alliance has to deal with at some point (or no one would ever get roided), or making it so hilariously overpowered that it never dies. Bad and worse.

Even if the no-hide restriction were lifted, why would I build PBS over ships? I can't attack with it, and I can only defend myself with it. My ships can be used for defending others as well. Again, you're stuck with either making it overpowered, or making it an unused feature, a trap for newbies and not much else.

It was removed for several very good reasons. Long may it remain gone.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2016, 23:04   #3
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

There are ways that you can have planet based defence that is not as negative as Mz says that have been suggested before. Most notably (and probably most sensibly) is the regular proposal to change Structure Defence into something that actually fights SKs rather than just negating their damage.

Other options are things such as having structures that increase the armor of defending ships (or reduce the damage of attacking ships) essentially shield structures or now that cap can be changed by war perhaps having a structure that cuts cap in war time back down towards the normal cap rate of peace time.

But all such suggestions have one thing in common; they are structures not pds of old. As such they dont suffer from the running problem in the same way. If you reintroduce pds you immediately come up with the question of 'why was run and hide introduced for base fleets?' and calls to have it for pds as well. But if that is the case what is different about them compared to ships except they are ships that don't leave base?

Otterly an Otter.
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2016, 08:24   #4
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Planetary Defence System doesnt really make sense anyhow, as we are not invading planets themselves. Everyone is just takin asteroids out of orbit. Pretty sure those asteroids are located far enough from the planet (bit risky otherwise?), too far for any planetary located weapon to deal with ships stealing them ?

Now that we are talking about a spreadsheet game only without much sense (our ships and structures work without energy!!!) - i agree with what mz and booji said about pds. Heck i even remembered loosing all my pds the one round i build em!!!

"It“s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2016, 22:04   #5
Zeke

Zeke is on a distinguished road

Planetarion is boring because loosing ships in combat costs to many score. As such nobody takes a fight. If actual combat and destroying ships would benefit in getting xp and salvage (slightly less as an attacker), and stealing roids would not give xp but just the standard more ressources later on, people would maybe actually land attacks and fight battles in this space "war" game ...
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jul 2016, 16:21   #6
Daoz
DC overlord

Daoz is an unknown quantity at this point

If you bring back some PDS style units, make it a galaxy fleet controlled by MoW or another.

Something always hidden but that could be sent somewhere and that every1 can chip into if they want to. (kinda like galaxy fund)
Daoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2016, 07:45   #7
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Remove ships value from score... et voilą !