User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 5 Jun 2003, 01:05   #1
Xillah

Xillah is an unknown quantity at this point
how do i stop programs putting themselves in my tray on startup?

Using windows 98, when i start up i have to close about 5 programs in the bottom righthand corner. I alco have to close c:/Windows as it opens itself up. and all my desktop icons are all over the place.

any once know how i sort these? its annoying.
Unread 5 Jun 2003, 01:48   #2
Xillah

Xillah is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry about the double thread, didnt think the first one worked when i got the 'forums are screwed' screen.
Unread 5 Jun 2003, 05:11   #3
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
There a couple of places to check for the offending programs:

In the menu:

Start->Programs->Startup

In the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 5 Jun 2003, 06:42   #4
Caesar2
Commander

Caesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really nice
Start --> Run --> type msconfig --> tab Startup

You were just "bashed", live with it.
Caesar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2003, 08:05   #5
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Caesar2
this one is the winnah

however, some programs you can stop from starting in the the systray by disabling the correct options within the program itself
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2003, 08:13   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
It should be pointed out that this thread has zero replies according to the thread listing.

Resynch in order, Mr. 'mulian?
Unread 5 Jun 2003, 08:33   #7
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Caesar2
Windows 98 may be slightly different but I know when attempting this it only disables but does not remove the program from the startup, additionally it seem under Windows XP everytime you start it gives a warning that some programs have been disabled. Doing it via the registry is a more permanent solution.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 5 Jun 2003, 08:55   #8
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
Quicktime is a bugger for this.
You can disable it using MSCONFIG, but next time you run QT is will re-enable it's self again.
Some programs need to be disabled within the application.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2003, 11:37   #9
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Woof
Quicktime is a bugger for this.
You can disable it using MSCONFIG, but next time you run QT is will re-enable it's self again.
Some programs need to be disabled within the application.

YES! QuickTime sucks Satans scaly pecker.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2003, 13:30   #10
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by djbass
Windows 98 may be slightly different but I know when attempting this it only disables but does not remove the program from the startup, additionally it seem under Windows XP everytime you start it gives a warning that some programs have been disabled. Doing it via the registry is a more permanent solution.

=[DJ Bass]=
you can set it to not warn you though.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2003, 16:16   #11
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml is what i always use

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2003, 19:20   #12
Devlin

Devlin has a spectacular aura aboutDevlin has a spectacular aura aboutDevlin has a spectacular aura about
xillah where art thou?
Devlin is offline   Reply With Quote