User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 31 May 2003, 13:09   #1
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Monitor Problem

The image on my monitor seems to wobble. I can't think of any other way to describe, I've checked cables etc. and they're all fine.

Anyone know/got any idea what the problem is?
Unread 31 May 2003, 13:16   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Your refresh rate is probably too low.

Right-click desktop, Properties, Settings, Advanced, Monitor

There's a little drop-down list. If you can't select anything higher than 60Hz it could be because your screen resolution is too high (drop it back a notch and try again) or your monitor drivers are crap (reinstall, update, if you're not using drivers it shouldn't be this)

Or something. Could just be a bust monitor I guess...
Unread 31 May 2003, 13:16   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Refresh rate?

Any nearby magnets (although that would be a permanent disturbance, not a wobble)?

Had it running on it's side?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2003, 13:44   #4
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future
My monitor wobbles whenever I have a fan on near it.

My mum's computer does it whenever she's using the washing machine. Is there any appliance like that near?

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2003, 14:58   #5
Supernova9
m u p p e t

No appliances nearby, and that menu has no refresh rate drop down, have an OSD thing on the monitor, the refresh is 60Hz. Looking for new drivers now.
Unread 31 May 2003, 14:59   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Supernova9
No appliances nearby, and that menu has no refresh rate drop down, have an OSD thing on the monitor, the refresh is 60Hz. Looking for new drivers now.
What resolution are you running? It's possible 60Hz is as high as you can go for that res.
Unread 31 May 2003, 16:33   #7
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
What resolution are you running? It's possible 60Hz is as high as you can go for that res.
800 X 600, wouldn't have thought it would be a problem.
Unread 31 May 2003, 16:51   #8
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

No, should be able to cope with that fs...

Hmmm, interference is seeming a good option, but you should be getting more than 60Hz out of a monitor at 800x600
Unread 31 May 2003, 20:38   #9
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
what make monitor dude?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2003, 21:42   #10
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
The hot weather of today could actually be the cause. Ive had simerlat problems in the past due to the poor design of my PC case which made cooling a nightmare. Would get so hot that the gfx card would start to receive faults and would cause my screen to wobble.

An overheating gfx card WILL result in such problems and could very well be where your problem lies
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 03:01   #11
poshphil
Little Bitch

poshphil is an unknown quantity at this point
You don't have speakers right next to the monitor do you?
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 04:59   #12
Dreadnought

the crt is ****ed get a new monitor.

A good way to test this is hit the top of your monitor, if it wobbles ur crt is fked
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 11:19   #13
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
what make monitor dude?
Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 73.

It's definitely cooler today though, and the wobble persists

Oh, and I've tried moving the speakers away for a test, and it still persists. What a bugger

Looks like it's time to phone those nice evesham tech support people to get me a fixed monitor.

Last edited by Supernova9; 2 Jun 2003 at 16:11.
Supernova9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 13:13   #14
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Well, I think Evesham have a seperate guarantee on the monitor, so they'll likely to give you a number to contact mitsubishi/NEC yourself.

I had to do that, I got a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 720 myself, the service is excellent, if the monitor is definitely in need of a service then they'll send someone round to pick it up, and in turn replace it with a temporary one.
Unread 1 Jun 2003, 21:42   #15
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Quote:
Well, I think Evesham have a seperate guarantee on the monitor, so they'll likely to give you a number to contact mitsubishi/NEC yourself.

I had to do that, I got a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 720 myself, the service is excellent, if the monitor is definitely in need of a service then they'll send someone round to pick it up, and in turn replace it with a temporary one.
Yeah, the cust. service is good, it's just this is the second time on this monitor we've had problems.

2 Identical Evesham PCs we bought, one's worked perfectly without error, this one has had the monitor die and the hard disk go completely. Luck of the draw I guess.
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 00:17   #16
poshphil
Little Bitch

poshphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

2 Identical Evesham PCs we bought, one's worked perfectly without error, this one has had the monitor die and the hard disk go completely. Luck of the draw I guess.
Sounds like my systemax one, that hard drive completely died on that one too, and the monitor just stopped working one day as well. But to be fair they've both been changed on warranty. Without any hassle.
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 15:55   #17
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry, you have a 17" monitor and you run it at 800x600 @ 60 Hz?

Degauss the monitor, and set it to a higher refresh rate in windows.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 16:10   #18
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
Sorry, you have a 17" monitor and you run it at 800x600 @ 60 Hz?

Degauss the monitor, and set it to a higher refresh rate in windows.
It's at 800 X 600 as choice of someone else in my family coz they have poor eyesight. But anyway, I have modified the refresh rate and the wobble persists.

Degaussing was the first thing i did.
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 18:14   #19
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

you can just run at higher res but make the windows interface fonts bigger.
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 18:31   #20
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Quote:
you can just run at higher res but make the windows interface fonts bigger.
I know, however my mother (with her cataracts and fussy personality) says she "likes it better this way", and what she wants, she gets :/

God I can't wait till I move out
Unread 2 Jun 2003, 19:00   #21
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
I know, however my mother (with her cataracts and fussy personality) says she "likes it better this way", and what she wants, she gets :/

God I can't wait till I move out
Hrm... you can still change it... and save it, then see if your mom notices any difference, make sure you got it very similar too
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 14:15   #22
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
How did you degauss? Using the menu option or button on the monitor? Doesnt do any good.

Heres what you do

1.) Get a 3 foot iron bar
2.) Tightly coil 1mm copper wire all the way about it, top to bottom.
3.) Plug it into some power source
4.) Place the monitor on the ground
5.) Hit the monitor repeatedly with the iron/copper electromagnet

and if it doesnt work, you will at least feel better.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2003, 17:18   #23
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Quote:
Originally posted by MT
How did you degauss? Using the menu option or button on the monitor? Doesnt do any good.

Heres what you do

1.) Get a 3 foot iron bar
2.) Tightly coil 1mm copper wire all the way about it, top to bottom.
3.) Plug it into some power source
4.) Place the monitor on the ground
5.) Hit the monitor repeatedly with the iron/copper electromagnet

and if it doesnt work, you will at least feel better.
I forgot to insulate the bit of the iron bar i was holding.