User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 5 Aug 2006, 01:49   #1
mouseb4u

defence

is it possible to ressurect the defence roids that we had in the early rounds?
they were a great help in defending your planet and would add a bit more to the game now that it has grown
Unread 5 Aug 2006, 04:26   #2
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: defence

I think you are talking about Planetary defence systems?

If so, yeah, I would like to see the PDS back again, as it was actually a good way to defend yourself.

But I guess there is some cheerful moderator who can find the link to the regular pds discussion threads?
Unread 5 Aug 2006, 05:13   #3
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

The other possible option is holoroids, which were essentially fake roids. Either way I seriously doubt they will ever be brought back. And while PDS do have a soft spot in my heart I can gaurentee people will give the ussual list of reasons why not and then flame the heck out of anyone who disagrees. :-/

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2006, 07:58   #4
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
The other possible option is holoroids, which were essentially fake roids. Either way I seriously doubt they will ever be brought back. And while PDS do have a soft spot in my heart I can gaurentee people will give the ussual list of reasons why not and then flame the heck out of anyone who disagrees. :-/
Even if i was a supporter of removing PDS from the game i think it should be checked if the same reasons still apply in the very different PA today with different combat engine, lot less players and a different alliance system.

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2006, 07:45   #5
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
If so, yeah, I would like to see the PDS back again, as it was actually a good way to defend yourself.
They were a great way for players to defend themselves. Particularly the supermassive planets of R3 vintage who made effective use of the PDS very early initiative to completely destroy huge amounts of fleet before the attackers could even fire, making them virtually untouchable.

On a more serious note, PDS was handy in later rounds to defend yourself against EMP (ie Science or Cathaar) attacks because PDS wasnt targeted by those units, thus ensuring that you would be able to inflict damage on any EMP fleet - generally sufficient deterrant to stop them from attacking you (Remember early R4 before the Tacheyon Beamer change? R6 PDS was handy too iirc).

These, however, are the exceptions to the rule: PDS only hurts whomever builds it. Generally, only the smallest and the least knowledgeable and well connected players built PDS at all, thus sending them in a cycle of poverty type thing that they couldnt get out of. This was the primary reason why it was removed, a decision that i still support untill such a time as an imaginative solution evolves such that PDS does not hurt the most vulnerabel in the game.

As yet, that doesnt exist.

But yes, the whole PDS thing has been done to death. The Search button kinda gives an indication as to the magnitude of the death. This thread is brief though!
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2006, 08:15   #6
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Particularly the supermassive planets of R3 vintage who made effective use of the PDS very early initiative to completely destroy huge amounts of fleet before the attackers could even fire, making them virtually untouchable.
I remember Game (The Roman Fortress) having 1.2 million Laser Turrets. It was carnage for the newbies who tried to roid him. Also meant he could keep 3-fleeting
Unread 6 Aug 2006, 08:39   #7
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I remember Game (The Roman Fortress) having 1.2 million Laser Turrets. It was carnage for the newbies who tried to roid him. Also meant he could keep 3-fleeting
I remember that as well - but not only him, all the other 1 billion + score planets were in the same boat, making attacks with anything less than like 400 million fleetscore totally worthless as ships wouldnt fire their guns because they were dead.

Yes, some of mine were those ships .

Ah, the memories .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2006, 09:58   #8
Game^

Game^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I had 4.5mil laser turrents, and 1.2mil plasma turrents.

And i HAD to have those, due to the amount of noobs suiciding on me every day!
Game^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2006, 23:08   #9
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game^
I had 4.5mil laser turrents, and 1.2mil plasma turrents.

And i HAD to have those, due to the amount of noobs suiciding on me every day!
I knew 1.2 million fitted in there somewhere!