User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

View Poll Results: Which set would you choose?
Pat's set (http://beta.planetarion.com/manual.pl?page=stats) 19 35.85%
Alternative set (http://speedgame.planetarion.com/manual.pl?page=stats) 22 41.51%
I do not care 12 22.64%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 11 Mar 2016, 10:06   #51
Krypton
KK

Krypton is a jewel in the roughKrypton is a jewel in the roughKrypton is a jewel in the rough
Re: R66 Stat opinions

Jintao is far too official these days. It's creeping me out.
Unread 11 Mar 2016, 11:13   #52
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypton View Post
Jintao is far too official these days. It's creeping me out.
No worries he pmed me all Details and secret flaws of the set allready.
Just to proove bb right

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 07:55   #53
Kez

Kez has a spectacular aura aboutKez has a spectacular aura about

Argh. Wish I had voted. The stats have got worse every round since I got back. Really putting me off playing.
R64 Terra - defence duties
R65 Faceless - defence duties
R66 Faceless - rank 90 (inactive half of round)
R67 Norseman - Rank 26
R68 Norseman - Rank 19
R69 P3nguins - Rank 22 - Scanner
R74 Faceless - Rank 4
R75 Heresy - Rank 15
R76 RaGe - Rank 4 - defence duties
Kez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 08:01   #54
Kez

Kez has a spectacular aura aboutKez has a spectacular aura about

To clarify my point. Any new players should have ability to attack and defend alone, not always knowing calcs/allies extremely well to build into the game. When every race has so
Much difficulty attacking as a sole ranger it puts new players off. I was hoping to play this round seriously but considering not re-paying for this round now
R64 Terra - defence duties
R65 Faceless - defence duties
R66 Faceless - rank 90 (inactive half of round)
R67 Norseman - Rank 26
R68 Norseman - Rank 19
R69 P3nguins - Rank 22 - Scanner
R74 Faceless - Rank 4
R75 Heresy - Rank 15
R76 RaGe - Rank 4 - defence duties
Kez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 12:40   #55
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

How is attackin solo hard with this st set?

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 15:54   #56
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
How is attackin solo hard with this st set?
Actually I kinda agree with Kez here. Even tho it's ST the amounts of places to land seem very limited. Plus the effs have been done in a way to benefit defence which I don't like, it should be equal overall but this seems weighted towards the deffing side.

Terran is almost a complete waste of time being there and ETD isn't far behind. I said when Jintao published them that they were dull and nothing interesting would come from them, but everyone was so blind to the fact they were ST that no one actually calced and saw how awful they were.

Patrick's set would have been more offensive than this set, but you reap what you sow. Enjoy your awful round of PA
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 16:49   #57
fortran

fortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the rough

If these stats become a failure I vote for Kaiba for next stats maker.
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 17:43   #58
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
Actually I kinda agree with Kez here. Even tho it's ST the amounts of places to land seem very limited. Plus the effs have been done in a way to benefit defence which I don't like, it should be equal overall but this seems weighted towards the deffing side.

Terran is almost a complete waste of time being there and ETD isn't far behind. I said when Jintao published them that they were dull and nothing interesting would come from them, but everyone was so blind to the fact they were ST that no one actually calced and saw how awful they were.
I spent a couple of hours in PM with jintoa and how to make these stats ace but this fell apon def ears .... His xmas stats were ace, I didn't like his r65 set so much so I played a scanner for the first time ever (but I didnt go hard on him and notched it down to experience) and now hes produced r66.... next time you make stats jintoa I have to give you the same treatment as I would tia and BB

changes I would have done from the final set.

Wyvern init 6
Syren init 9
Pegs init 8
Spectre init 7
Maruader init 7
lancer init 9
Broker init 1 Emp
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 18:08   #59
XTC 69

XTC 69 is an unknown quantity at this point

+1 Kez

BOOM... The moment you realise that Jintoa stats are worse than the previous 2 rounds stats which you thought would be impossible to do.

-----------------------
imarbles of Goodspliff
r2 - No Alliance
r3 -XPA / G-II
r4/5/6/7 - HC @ G-II
r8 - retired to lead a normal life and have a full nights sleep
-----------------------
XTC 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 18:48   #60
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortran View Post
If these stats become a failure I vote for Kaiba for next stats maker.
I happily would, it's been a fair few rounds since my last set was uaed
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 18:59   #61
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Patrick's set would have been more offensive than this set, but you reap what you sow. Enjoy your awful round of PA
Not just that, people were complaining about lack of ally def in my stats; mine had 4 races with Fi anti-Co and 3 Co anti-Fi. These stats only 3 races with ally def vs Fi, Co, Fr, and De.

Have fun everyone!
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 19:00   #62
Krypton
KK

Krypton is a jewel in the roughKrypton is a jewel in the roughKrypton is a jewel in the rough

Yeah. Dont think they are great either...i just didnt want high bp forts again which patrikc's basically made a must.

Plus i think they want to see how other in game changes play out which is why i understand they picked an ST set. Not a very good one mind.
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 19:01   #63
Jintao
The evil stats guy

Jintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I happily would, it's been a fair few rounds since my last set was uaed
Offer accepted, looking forward to seeing your proposal
Jintao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 19:43   #64
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Just glanced at the stats now.
Id guess its a huge blow for many players this round.

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 21:12   #65
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintao View Post
Offer accepted, looking forward to seeing your proposal
Not a bother I'll do them on the train next weekend.

As Krypton says they wanted to test other features which is fair enough but if a lot of people won't take it serious because of the stats then that could affect the test
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 21:26   #66
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Quote:
Not a bother I'll do them on the train next weekend.

As Krypton says they wanted to test other features which is fair enough but if a lot of people won't take it serious because of the stats then that could affect the test
Lol this is no test. This is mafia at work.
What can be used as anti FI def with this new feature?
Its all a big conspiracy

Unread 12 Mar 2016, 22:48   #67
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Race
Terran 44 (17.9%)

Cathaar 63 (25.6%)

Xandathrii 86 (35.0%)

Zikonian 37 (15.0%)

Eitraides 16 (6.5%)

Caths are going to be popular. Looks like a Xan roid-swapping round.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 22:58   #68
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Race
Terran 44 (17.9%)

Cathaar 63 (25.6%)

Xandathrii 86 (35.0%)

Zikonian 37 (15.0%)

Eitraides 16 (6.5%)

Caths are going to be popular. Looks like a Xan roid-swapping round.
You can only go xan fi/cat co with these stats and then you still can't defend at ally ETA.

What I find ridiculous is that you are introducing an alliance defence system then you provide a set of stats with barely any alliance eta defence ships. Completely defeating the whole point of the new system.

I didn't think you could fort with ST. This set changed my mind
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 23:11   #69
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher View Post
Id guess its a huge blow for many players this round.
The lurkers support me on IRC
They all think I'm great don't you know.
You posters just don't understand me
But soon you will reap what you sow.

Lurkers, lurkers, lurkers support me, you'll see, you'll see
Off on IRC the lurkers support me, you'll see.

"So why don't they post?" you all cry
They're scared of your hostile intentions
They just can't be as brave as I.

One day I'll round up all my lurkers
We'll have a private board of our own
Without all this flak from you morons
My lurkers will post round my throne.

Very slightly adapted from.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2016, 23:57   #70
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You can only go xan fi/cat co with these stats and then you still can't defend at ally ETA.
I was just posting the numbers in case some people hadn't signed up and were curious. I just signed up myself.

Quote:
What I find ridiculous is that you are introducing an alliance defence system then you provide a set of stats with barely any alliance eta defence ships. Completely defeating the whole point of the new system.
None of this has anything to do with me. I'm not involved in stats, and I'm not PA team. Much like mz, I play devil's advocate from time to time. It at least breaks up the mounds of name-calling and shitposting

Anyway, your point is perfectly valid.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 13 Mar 2016, 00:01   #71
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
They all think I'm great don't you know.
You posters just don't understand me
But soon you will reap what you sow.

"So why don't they post?" you all cry
They're scared of your hostile intentions
They just can't be as brave as I.

One day I'll round up all my lurkers
We'll have a private board of our own
Without all this flak from you morons
My lurkers will post round my throne.

Very slightly adapted from.
If you disagree with me your one of the mafia.

If kaiba can see the issues they gotta be pretty obvious.
Where is tiamata btw?

Unread 13 Mar 2016, 00:40   #72
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Thats the problem with the "stats mafia" they havent done anything innovative for the last 30+ rounds

No nice way of saying this but get the finger out.
Unread 13 Mar 2016, 02:55   #73
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
None of this has anything to do with me. I'm not involved in stats, and I'm not PA team. Much like mz, I play devil's advocate from time to time. It at least breaks up the mounds of name-calling and shitposting

Anyway, your point is perfectly valid.
Sorry it was a generalised you. It wasn't aimed at you

Not 100% sure what mz is trying to get at, we all know that Butcher talks bigger than what is actually happening.

I was planning to play again in Rd66 (had a fb message from nelito, which peaked my interest) but these stats are just not playable in any fun form. I have seen no intention or reason behind them, there has been little to no discussion on them in public and yet somehow have passed Appocos seal of approval and are considered final.

Patrikcs set at least had purpose (fort play), he explained his decisions and why he made changes. That is what a proper set is about. And before someone pours a glass of whine about forting stats that is not what I'm getting at. It's about thought and effort, about having a goal and achieving it. People might not have liked Pats set but at least you could see his hallmarks all over them, showing he actually tried.

What we have instead look like its been left in the hands of RNGesus, and he has chosen to smite us! :/
Unread 13 Mar 2016, 03:38   #74
Cochese
Retired

I played Xan/Etd in 'beta' and liked them both. Given it was 'beta'. Patricks set was "good", I thought. Terran did well, as did Cath.

If you want to BP next round for fun, I'll join in!

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 13 Mar 2016, 03:56   #75
fortran

fortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the rough

ST stats cant offer many options. Live with that.

There was two or three rounds ago a thread where the "stats mafia" members posted their criteria. Ofc they dont necessarily agree between then but it was a good thread. And what I understood from there is that most stats offers lack from an explanation of what one intends to achieve with it. And that's why imo we end up having many ppl suggesting stats but few real options.
Unread 13 Mar 2016, 04:11   #76
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

Quote:
I was planning to play again in Rd66 (had a fb message from nelito, which peaked my interest)...
piqued my interest*

I never said my stats were fort stats. I said I wanted it to be an option, but not without weaknesses. Yet somehow building 3 ships to shoot at 4 nowadays is 'too defensive'. Does no one remember the days where 3 ships targeted all 6? Look at round 33, there are more ships with 3 targets than 1. Now I know the game is different now, with fewer players and different politics, but I hardly think my stats (with lower effs than what ended up on PA servers, fyi) would have lead to unbreakable forts, even with current BP sizes.
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Mar 2016, 10:47   #77
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Much like mz, I play devil's advocate from time to time.
*gasp*

Quote:
Not 100% sure what mz is trying to get at
At Butcher's penchant for replacing "I think" with "most players think".
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 13 Mar 2016, 11:39   #78
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

I do think there should be a set method and means of tendering your stat models... I would suggest to appoco having a draft server where all people can tender their draft for stats for more variety etc.
However they who give their draft of the stats must offer a detailed explaination of their thinking behind the stats and how these stats would cater to masses and why these stats would be entertaining.

I wish I had logged the conversation with Jintao as it would have saved me alot of typing.

Criteria of stat making.

1. No one likes stats where you have to lolteam up for a share of 20-50 roids when that player lolwaved and lost 300+ roids from the night before.
2. No one likes having an attack fleet that can be stopped with 1 def fleet before it fires before it especially when it is ally eta (which is why its important to give attack fleets "first cut" as the current mechanics stand (value playing usually)
3. assess your target audience and what they look for.... i'll give examples.

you have a range of players that have a certain style.

You have players like agar3s and wishmaster etc who generally like MT stats / 3 ship spam who like to bottom feed easy roids but make themselves hard to roid.
You have players like me and spammer etc who like to get roids easy and enjoy the aquisition of them. I tend to prefer ST or limited T2 stats where there is scope to fake meta classes usually ter de as bs or zik de as cr etc (in r17 I was able to steal over 10k roids over the course that round)
You have the mid tier players who aren't rank whores who like to play for alliance/mates
I generally find that they like to team up with the same Roiding fleet but different races like cath/zik cr for a better defence tolerance on their attack.... I know stat makers in the past cater to this but it should not be done because if they solo they get 1 fleet stopped.
then you have the lower tier players who probably accept they lose roids a fair bit but still play out of alliance and or community but it is key that they can regain roids very easily if they need to lolteamup for 20-50 roids per attack then they will have a bad gaming experience.

You have natural xan and zik (kleptomanics if you ask me) players.
I will be pushing for 0 loss stealers again very soon but have a 5-10% value cap per battle report to make it more balanced but makes zik interesting again like pre r19 and not dependent on that 1 ace kill ship in their attack fleet.

A stat maker must also cater for alliance strategies... the HC/mo tactican will be looking for what is the best fleets to aquire roids for their alliance whilst assessing the best defence options for their alliance.

Sometimes there is several good options sometimes alliances are forced into picking the 1 option just to keep up with the jones.
The Job of the stat maker is to cater for this aswell as the player base as individuals.
Unread 13 Mar 2016, 12:59   #79
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Paisley, you have a hugely overcomplicated view of the stats-making process. Just make fleets that sort of stop each other, do a few calcs to make sure most fleets are at least semi-viable, and ally ship strats will deal the rest.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 13 Mar 2016 at 13:46. Reason: Typo
Unread 13 Mar 2016, 13:14   #80
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Paisley, you have a hugely overcomplicating view of the stats-making process. Just make fleets that sort of stop each other, do a few calcs to make sure most fleets are at least semi-viable, and ally ship strats will deal the rest.
and look where that approach has gotten us .... +30 rounds of zzzz
Not to mention the "stat mafia" being to complacent
Unread 13 Mar 2016, 13:45   #81
Mzyxptlk
mz.

That's hardly because of the stats. And don't feed into Butcher's delusions by repeating his catchphase, please
Unread 13 Mar 2016, 14:37   #82
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Yeah there isn't a stats mafia there is just people who like making stats.
Unread 13 Mar 2016, 16:59   #83
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Quote:
Yeah there isn't a stats mafia there is just people who like making stats.
The people who make the sets aint the mafia.
The ones who decides to go with sets that hasnt been discussed/worked on in the last second prior to sign up is mafiosos

Unread 13 Mar 2016, 19:11   #84
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
The people who make the sets aint the mafia.
The ones who decides to go with sets that hasnt been discussed/worked on in the last second prior to sign up is mafiosos
So Appocomsster?
Unread 13 Mar 2016, 19:57   #85
Cochese
Retired

Was just about to make that same post Kaiba.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 13 Mar 2016, 20:12   #86
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

atm, afaik, Jintao is "head of stats".
Again sets that was proposed from the playerbase was ditched, and like last round the set was made up the last day by Jintao himself without having the normal "....`s stats rXX" discussion thread where people could give inputs.
Now if you ask who ever made the set that is being runned this round why he didnt ask for suggestions/inputs he will prolly say he spoke with various people(the mafia), and they gave him input.

Now im not saying set A or set B or whatever would be a better choice to run, im just question the way things works around here wether the approach that has been taken the last two rounds is a good one.
I havnt been paying much attention here lately, but it seems to me people had never seen this set before it was uploaded ingame for signups?

Unread 13 Mar 2016, 20:36   #87
Cochese
Retired

It was posed in the OP, but it seems to be different than when it was originally posted in the OP...

Spent several days, or a week, "beta testing" the other set that wasn't used...

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 13 Mar 2016, 20:48   #88
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Quote:
It was posed in the OP, but it seems to be different than when it was originally posted in the OP...

Spent several days, or a week, "beta testing" the other set that wasn't used...
Well surely that is improvements then. As i said i havnt been paying attention.

How it ended up with this set kinda baffles me, i thought we had been over this before when Tia was "forced into" making a ST set, it was a catastrophy from my point of view.

Sure offensive stats could change up a lot of things in this game, but if it ends up with the top 6 alliances averaging 4500 incs something would be wrong eh? Last round, with Ult having 6800 incs the average was under 3000 incs, with a set that the stats maker said was offensive.

Atm the current ratio was like 35% xan, wich kinda says it all about this set, unless there will be 35% ziks its all gonna be about constant roid swapping, wich isnt what i belive this game should be focused all around.

Unread 13 Mar 2016, 21:11   #89
Jintao
The evil stats guy

Jintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of lightJintao is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
atm, afaik, Jintao is "head of stats".
Appoco has been very busy lately and has delegated the responsibility to me for the time being. Although i do still talk to him about stats.

Quote:
Again sets that was proposed from the playerbase was ditched, and like last round the set was made up the last day by Jintao himself without having the normal "....`s stats rXX" discussion thread where people could give inputs.
Actually there was nothing wrong with patrikc's set. I would have been proud to select it. He and I worked on his set throughout last round together and i liked where we got it together. To a nice and balanced set. I know alot of people didn't like the 3 ships in a class thing, but i call that creative freedom of the guy comming up with the set.

The only reason i came up with a last minute alternative was because
  • Patrikc's set was seen as way to defensive and got alot of moaning from these forums
  • The new defence feature which had enraged so many because it would be impossible to land attacks now
  • The combination of the above 2 seemed to stur up even more heat on these forums

So the alternative set was actually made as a response to the community which than even got a say on it and which was taken into account. I even talked to appoco about it before a final descission was made.

Quote:
Now if you ask who ever made the set that is being runned this round why he didnt ask for suggestions/inputs he will prolly say he spoke with various people(the mafia), and they gave him input.
Actually the reason why i don't post much on the forums is very simple. Every thread always ends up going negative or they start flaming wars between certain people. So if i want constructive feedback i currently don't see the forums as a way to get it.

Talking about feedback in general. I had ALOT of people pm me with there opinion and i can tell you they all said something completely different. If one guy said to x, the other guy would yell don't do x, do y. Than the next guy would say don't do x or y, but go for z. Opinions are a dime a dozen which doesn't make selecting the feedback you listen to easy.

I did listen to all the feedback i got and implemented some of there suggestions, but yes not all. Just the ones i thought were good and doable with the given timeframe.

Do i think the set we are running this round is perfect? No and looking back at it i would have done some things differently. But yes one shouldn't put a set together in the last hour which i've done twice now. And i hope it was the last time aswell. r67 i definately won't be making a last minute set. Patrikc's set is solid and almost ready to go as is. So we got a solid set to put up already for round 67.

Quote:
Now im not saying set A or set B or whatever would be a better choice to run, im just question the way things works around here wether the approach that has been taken the last two rounds is a good one.
I have talked with appoco about the issue too. We were thinking about making it more into a formal process/method with the potential of some experts picking the final set.

But one of the biggest problems is if i were to put the top 10 stat guys in a room, i bet they couldn't all agree on the color of an organge, let alone what a new standard should be.

Once this round get's going i hope to get into this more with appoco and perhaps the community.
Jintao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Mar 2016, 22:02   #90
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Basicly what i read.

Set A/B/C was critized while being on forum.

You dont like critisism so you decided to do it off forums.

As your set was the least critized you went with that.

I didnt look at Pats set, neither did i look at any others, but surely, even you must be regretting the decision to go with the set that was choosed? And im sure you regretted going with last rounds set aswell

Unread 13 Mar 2016, 23:42   #91
Cochese
Retired

Having a stats committee is a bad idea. People will just argue in circles.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 14 Mar 2016, 07:00   #92
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
Basicly what i read.

Set A/B/C was critized while being on forum.

You dont like critisism so you decided to do it off forums.

As your set was the least critized you went with that.

I didnt look at Pats set, neither did i look at any others, but surely, even you must be regretting the decision to go with the set that was choosed? And im sure you regretted going with last rounds set aswell
I hate to agree with butcher but your post does read as though you bowed to pressure from outside forces.

If you believed pats set was good enough you should have stuck with it. If Appoco has given you the final say on stats then I'm worried by the weakness you have shown. It could set a precedent now that you will get hounded each round by certain people who have a different vision or political agenda that is not reflected by the majority of players.

If you take both sets at face value then Pats set is vastly better so that then seems that influence has pushed this other set to the fore, purely to appease those who think stats will improve their chances of hampering others and helping thier less active playstyle.

If you genuinely want a set from me next round then they will be MT stats and they will be fair, but if they will just get discarded because they don't fit a minority opinion of how the game should be played then is it worth me wasting my time?
Unread 14 Mar 2016, 08:29   #93
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Appoco has been very busy lately and has delegated the responsibility to me for the time being. Although i do still talk to him about stats.
Appoco: some kind of announcement of this change would've been nice. People shouldn't have to rely on rumour to learn who to talk to to influence the ship stats.

Quote:
Actually the reason why i don't post much on the forums is very simple. Every thread always ends up going negative or they start flaming wars between certain people. So if i want constructive feedback i currently don't see the forums as a way to get it.
I think this is a missed opportunity. The forums are the place to have public discussions about issues that affect everyone. Sure, people can PM you, but that's not ideal. It centralizes decision making, giving you far more power than the individual people talking to you, because it isolates people. It's easier to speak out if there's a bunch of people to agree with you. Additionally, there's a barrier to entry, whereby some people might feel discouraged from approaching you. Speaking out in public is easier.

Monroe used to keep a fairly tight ship, but things seem to have gotten somewhat more slack of late. I agree that's a bad thing. SD is not AD. If the only thing you (general you) have to contribute is bickering and claptrap, this is not the place for you. A couple of keephauls might do this place good, to be frank.

Quote:
Talking about feedback in general. I had ALOT of people pm me with there opinion and i can tell you they all said something completely different. If one guy said to x, the other guy would yell don't do x, do y. Than the next guy would say don't do x or y, but go for z. Opinions are a dime a dozen which doesn't make selecting the feedback you listen to easy.
You can't make everyone happy, but as long as you're getting very varied criticism, I'd take that as a sign that you're on the right track. It's when you get the same complaints from everyone that you have to start worrying.

Quote:
r67 i definately won't be making a last minute set. Patrikc's set is solid and almost ready to go as is. So we got a solid set to put up already for round 67.
It's good to have this known so far in advance.

Quote:
I have talked with appoco about the issue too. We were thinking about making it more into a formal process/method with the potential of some experts picking the final set.

But one of the biggest problems is if i were to put the top 10 stat guys in a room, i bet they couldn't all agree on the color of an organge, let alone what a new standard should be.
Please don't feel like you need to set up some kind of democratic process to select the stats, whether only for a select few or universal. As long as the process by which you've selected a set of stats is reasonable and transparent, you'll be fine. This process need not be formal, nor identical every round. It seems to me like that's just creating unnecessary work for yourself.

This is another thing the forums can help with, by the way, by facilitating a public record of the choices made, and the reasons behind them.
Unread 17 Mar 2016, 08:00   #94
trudy

trudy is an unknown quantity at this point

Since I'm still new so I'm really confuse about the set.
trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2016, 09:06   #95
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudy View Post
Since I'm still new so I'm really confuse about the set.
Welcome to PA. Sign up and pick a race with no idea how any of them play or what their ships do.....
Unread 17 Mar 2016, 11:46   #96
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

Welcome Trudy. Traditionally terran is the race best for new players but I am not sure that is the case here. Probably best to go with everyone else and choose xan, that way at least you are likely to land attacks - though you will also be constantly roided.

Otterly an Otter.
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2016, 11:59   #97
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by booji View Post
Welcome Trudy. Traditionally terran is the race best for new players but I am not sure that is the case here. Probably best to go with everyone else and choose xan, that way at least you are likely to land attacks - though you will also be constantly roided.
Why is terran the best race for new players booji?

Unread 17 Mar 2016, 12:32   #98
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Quote:
It's long been considered the best starter race as it has no 'special' abilities to learn like steal, cloak and emp. It also has large starting bonuses and is reasonably solid across the board in terms of attack and defence.

I'm surprised you don't know this, be such a long serving player
Unread 17 Mar 2016, 12:44   #99
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Quote:
A poor troll attempt

Quote:
It's long been considered the best starter race as it has no 'special' abilities to learn like steal, cloak and emp. It also has large starting bonuses and is reasonably solid across the board in terms of attack and defence.

Spot on
Unread 17 Mar 2016, 13:02   #100
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Quote:

So you are advicing new players to go for Terran this round?

Quote:
Terran is almost a complete waste of time
Im sure with these stats, we will end up with around 3-40% xans, so my advice would be go zik