User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Jul 2004, 18:46   #1
sdajacks

sdajacks is an unknown quantity at this point
Unable to connect to sitecom router / Internet

I have recently purchased the Sitecom WL-025 router. I have 1 PC that connect via a Sitecom wireless network card and another PC that connects directly to the 4-port switch on the router (Both have Win XP). My ISP is Telewest. Both PC's Internet connection has been set up as per the instructions: "Use Broadband connection always on". The TCP/IP settings are as follows:
- DCHP Enabled
- Obtain IP Address Automatically.

I can see the name of the wireless connection, which has always been the default of "Sitecom" but cannot see the router itself in a browser.

When I look at the settings today under Network connections the connection to the wireless router has the follwing configuration details with DHCP Enabled
- Physical Address: 00-0C-F6-6B-F8
- IP Address: 192.168.1.101
- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
- Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
- DHCP Server: 192.168.1.254
- Lease Obtained: <Date/Time connection was made>
- Lease Expires: <Date/Time connection will expire>
- DNS Server: 168.95.1.1
- WINS Server: Blank

When I first installed the router and followed the quick installation guide the connection worked fine. A week later it stopped working and I tried to reset it but to no avail. A week later I booted up the PC with the wireless card and I was able to connect to the router and to the Internet. But now it has come back with the same errors. I have followed the 3 bits of advise on the FAQs but unable to solve the problem:
1. Firmware upgrade: I cannot connect to the router via Internet Explorer browser so cannot upgrqade the firmware.
2. Losing connection under XP: Advised to stop the Wireless Zero Configuration Service. I stopped the Wireless Zero Configuration service, rebooted the PC but still not luck.
3. Register MAC address with Telewest: Telewest have advised me that you do not need to register the MAC address anymore as of a few months ago and any network card should work fine. They also do not support home networks. I have actually disconnected the wireless router and connected the cable modem directly to 1 of my PCs to get a network connection to post the message.

When trying to regain Internet access and being able to connect to the router via a browser I have tried the follwing:

- Reset the router using the reset switch as per the manual.

- When the Cable modem is connected to the router it is always continuously flashing confirming that data is coming from my ISP.

- I have put 192.168.1.254 into the browser to connect to the router but I continuous get the error message of "No valid Web File System Found. Please upload a valid filesystem".

- When I try to ping 192.168.0.1 I get the following response -
Reply from 192.168.0.1: Destination net unreachable.
Loss=0

- When I try and ping 192.168.1.254 I get the following response:
Reply from 192.168.1.254: Bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
Loss=0

Please can you help me with this situation because I need the PC that has the wireless connection to be connected to the Internet ASAP.

Many Thanks
Steve
sdajacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 20:01   #2
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Unable to connect to sitecom router / Internet

Ok, my piece of advice:

Try to configure the router through the pc with the network CABLE. Lots of routers need to restart after configuration has been changed, which might cause a disconnect of the wireless connection.

So, WHAT IP does your router have? It seems like 192.168.1.254, so put that in your webbrowsers address-bar. Apparently 192.168.0.1 doesn't do anything (that's MY router's IP btw, but your's is the first one apparently).

Ok, if you don't get the configuration web interface from the cable-pc, you're in trouble basically. It SHOULD work after resetting the router.

You already tried running "ipconfig /all" (use start, cmd, then that). If you got a DHCP lease, the first critical step should be done.

Try "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew", which is essentially simulating a reboot of your computer (or sort of).
If you get an error message like "Couldn't contact DHCP server", something is wrong with your router.

Alternatively, try to set windows TCP/IP configuration to specify the IP address manually...
I.e.: IP Address: 192.168.1.51
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (<---- your router)

Maybe this works? Always try to connect to a normal website after each step. I pinged google.com for you, IP is 216.239.39.99. So try http://216.239.39.99 , which should work even if DNS does not.

Ok ok, back to your original point: Once you get access to the router setup, have a look through all the WLAN settings. I'm sorry, I can't exactly tell you WHY it isn't working as nice as it should. My experience with WLAN (configured a friend's router): It's crap. Well...

Maybe try to adjust your antennas, so that they're right-angled towards the walls, but parallel to each other? I.e. If both devices are on the same level, best direction would be upwards, but if one device is lower (like downstairs), it might be worth a try to tilt the antennas "side-wards" / horizontally.
This could increase signal strength at the receiver...

Hmmmmm
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 20:06   #3
JetLinus

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of

Oh yeah, the message "No valid Web File System Found. Please upload a valid filesystem" kind of sounds bad... Did you try to update the firmware, and the process aborted somehow?
Unread 28 Jul 2004, 22:37   #4
sdajacks

Re: Unable to connect to sitecom router / Internet

I can't remember trying to upgrade the firmware though to be honest I am not familiar with what firmware will do, where it is stored or what benefit upgrading it will do. If the router is screwed because of the way I tried to upgrade the firmware through the wireles connection to the router then the only thing I can think of is return the router to the store I bought it from and hope the same thing does not happen again.

I tried the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew and this just confirm that the connection is there when DHCP is enabled but I still cannot connect to the config page of the router from my browser. I tried to set the IP Address manually and it worked if I put in 192.168.1.103 but it didn't work for your example of 192.168.1.51.

The only other thing I thought I would add is that when I type in 192.168.1.254, it brings up a username and password screen. It is only when I enter the default password that I then get the screen of "invalid web file system......". I changed the details when I first got the router then it didn't work a few days later. When it just started working again I decided not to mess around with the username and password settings so left them as they were. Before the latest time the router fell on its feet I left the settings to the factory default (i.e with no username and the password you start with), also I left the name of the wirelesss connection the same as before. Do you think these settings have got mixed up along the times when the router has worked and when it has fallen on its feet?
Unread 29 Jul 2004, 01:28   #5
JetLinus

Ok, well, this doesn't look good.
The router does its work apparently (both IP settings work, DHCP (automatic) and manually (static)).

It's normal and a "good sign" that you have to enter a username and password, when trying to connect to 192.168.1.254. If you enter wrong data, an error message should be displayed or nothing, BUT, entering correct data should bring you to the config page, obviously.
As at exactly this point, the router fails, a firmware problem is likely (especially with that bogus message).

My guess: you tried to upgrade the firmware, the router disconnected somehow during this process, and now the firmware OR settings are partially screwed - i.e. working, but not accessible. Sort of. Maybe. My guess.

Sooooooo. Look up their webpage or your manual, if they have any advice for that tip.
If the "real reset" doesn't bring back your old firmware and doesn't solve the problem, well... Maybe indeed bring it back to store.

It sometimes help to google for the product name and some keywords from the error message.

In your case, look for "Sitecom WL-025 filesystem" or "Sitecom WL-025 upload valid" or "Sitecom WL-025 firmware reset", whatever.

Good luck!
Unread 29 Jul 2004, 08:33   #6
sdajacks

On the FAQs it says about the firmware that I can download a utility (.exe file) that will erase everything and upgrade the firmware as well. Hopefully I can connect to the router using this utility and then complete with a reset of the router and all should be ok. I'll try it tonight. If that fails I will have to take it back to the store.
Unread 29 Jul 2004, 13:37   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If that does fail I wouldn't bother trying to fix it anymore - do as you were planning on and take it back.
The store will most likely assume (depending on what you tell them) that it was defective from production or that it's been power-spiked. Although damage from power surges is not covered by store or manufacturer warrenties, its virtually impossible to prove that's what caused it, so they'll take it back as a defective unit anyway.

No need to mention about your attempts to fix it - that just gives them an opportunity to try and blame you (and to be honest, it does look like the router's been a bit flaky from the start here so it's probably not your fault).
Unread 29 Jul 2004, 17:11   #8
sdajacks

Got home, loaded the utility, selected the network card that I connect to the router with and then I clicked on ok to search for the router. It just couldn't find it!

I am taking it back!

Another thing - The instructions for the firmware upgrade utility were in Dutch so I had to go to a translating web site to get the instructions translated to English. That is very amateurish - Web site in English, main manual in English, buttons in the Firmware upgrade program in English but the instructions to use the Firmware upgrade utility is in Dutch - go figure!

I am getting a replacement but if this one falls on its feet I am just going to get somethign else - Any suggestions for a decent router for about 100 English pounds?
Unread 29 Jul 2004, 18:26   #9
sdajacks

Just got a replacement and it works. Well it only took me 20 mins to get it exchanged and then another 20 mins to install it again and off and running again.

Don't know if I should make any changes because this is my first experience with routers and I have no confidence in them whatsoever or is that the confidence in my own ability to fix any problems. Is there any words of advise of what not to do in regards to settings up rouuters?

I want to set it up correctly by looking at the advanced settings, putting encryption on there etc etc, but don't want to bugger it up again! First thing I will not do is touch the firmware or is there a good reason to upgrade the firmware on a wireless router. There is a newer version to be installed from th Internet. Another question: where is it best place to put the firewall and what policies should I be putting on there?
Unread 29 Jul 2004, 18:52   #10
JetLinus

For firmware, there is generally one rule: DON'T FCKN TOUCH IT IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO!

That means, if no bug is obvious or if you're not missing a (new) feature, don't upgrade the firmware. This one (as well as BIOS updates) is not for version freaks.
Never touch a running system. Sort of.

Security settings: Enable WEP encryption. My recommendation would be WPA though (pre-shared key mode), if your network cards do support it. Chose GOOD passwords for it, including special characters, upper and lower case letters, and numbers.

You might consider a MAC filter as well -- look up the "physical addresses" of the network cards you plan to connect with to the router, and enter them into the router config - no other device will be able to connect to the router then (if not hacked, etc, but that's another topic).

If it works, try to "disable broadcast of SSID". It makes your network a bit more invisible (good scanners might still find it). Of course, choose a SSID unlike "home" or "workgroup".

The included firewall should do its work most of the time, I personally got bad experience with SPI (stateful packet inspection), i.e. fewer applications working with it enabled, so I left it off, but that might be my buggy router or whatever.
I'd recommend to block the standard "well know bad ports" from outside (i.e. from WAN side), if your router doesn't do it anyway. I personally (paranoid) have blocked:
135-139 (Windows file & printer sharing)
443-445
5000 (UPnP)

Usually the router denies every incoming connection anyway.

You CAN setup "virtual servers", so that ICQ filetransfers will work for example, or battle.net with multiple clients, but that's another topic, feel free to ask.
Unread 29 Jul 2004, 19:14   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

To sum up:

a) If it ain't broke don't fix it
b) Use security where available, and a bit of common sense in applying it

Unread 14 Feb 2005, 15:51   #12
boriss

boriss is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got mine out of the box plugged it in and fumbled around a bit and it worked well
but now the kids can't get winmx so I have got to read about it.

I do not know anyhting about routing so wish me luck, I am going to read the english PDF file that came with the CD in the box.
boriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 16:18   #13
boriss

boriss is an unknown quantity at this point

NO luck there or in the full menu .doc, Any one know how to let peer to peer file sharing like Winmx work?
boriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 16:29   #14
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You'll first off want to find out what ports WinMX wants to use. Generally it tells you when you're installing it, though if you google round there'll be a guide someplace. Then you want to 'forward' those ports to the computer that wants to run WinMX. It's something that you'd do in the router web interface, and it generally pretty straight forward, you just type in the IP address of the machine you want to forward the ports to, type in the ports you want to forward and tick the TCP box. You'd probably find the page to do it just by stumbling round the web interface.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 16:35   #15
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

It's worth noting that unless winmx allows you to alter which ports it uses, you will only be able to use it on one pc. One port cannot be forwarded to more than one pc.
If it does allow you to specify ports then you can pick different ones for each pc you want it installed on and forward them accordingly.

However, I would see being unable to use winmx as a blessing - there are much better alternatives out there!
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 19:06   #16
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Routing 101: Port forwarding

Some dude on the big interweb wants to download stuff from you, using winMX or some other piece of dodgy sofware. Your computer is behind a router, together with four other friends, behind the same router.
Your router only has one connection to the outside world and therefore only one address.
This download dude can only connect to that address because that is the only address that is seeable from the big interweb.
So, he does... he connects to that address...
The router scratches its head, because it has no clue what to do with the connection. There are 5 PC's behind the router. For which one is this connection meant? Yours? One of your Friends'?

Bring in portforwarding:
The magic interweb works with ports. Every network application generally uses the same kind of port. Webservers on the web mostly use port 80. FTP servers use port 21. Etc etc. WinMX uses port 6699 by default.
You can tell your router that every connection that comes in at port 6699 to be forwarded to a specific computer.
So when the download dude connects to port 6699 at your router, the router knows for which computer the connection is meant.

How to configure port forwarding? It depends on your router. Most routers have a web-interface you can access with your browser. The have a static IP address usually.
The ADSL router at work has 10.0.0.138, here at home it is 192.168.0.1 . It should be in the manual of your router what the IP address of the router is.
Once in the web interface you should look for something called port forwarding or anything with the word "mapping" in it.
In my home router it's called the "virtual server list" even.
Here you can fill in the local/private IP (which is the address of the computer inside the network), the external port (the port to which the dude from outside wil connect, in your case 6699), the local port (also 6699 in your case) and a protocol, which is usually TCP, but to be safe you can use both UDP and TCP.

The hardest part is locating where the port forwarding can be set up in your router. Every manufactorer uses a different name for it or hides in a different place. Once you've located it it's setting up a few fields and you're done.

Good luck!