User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Aug 2003, 20:32   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
cpu-temperature?

how much is too much?
ive got an athlonXP 1800 and its usually around 60°C. its used to be about 55°C but atm its pretty warm around here
is that too much? i dont want to blow up that thing, i cant effort a new one right now
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 20:49   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
60C just running idle/web browsing? or 60C while playing games?

60C while playing games isn't going to kill your machine if it is running stable.

AMD recommends 1 cpu fan and at least 1 rear exhaust fan.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 21:04   #3
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
i thought it was stable at 56°C doing absolutly nothing, but i just had a look at the task manager and saw that there was some random tool that came with my new keyborad running and pushed up cpu-usage to 100%. i guess that was the problem.
Unread 3 Aug 2003, 18:33   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
In this weather (it's currently about 28C here) my CPU 1st generation (ie. runs hotter than current generation) XP2000+ idles at about 62C and stresses at about 67C.
However, the machine has been up for 9 days and I've been playing Midnight Club II a lot recently, so if mine's stable like that I'm sure yours is ok.
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 19:51   #5
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light
for some reason, i can only see my cpu temperature in my BIOS, and when i look at it it's around 69°
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 22:05   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
When you're in the bios the CPU is running at near full load because none of the load managemant software is operating (Windows 2K/XP use the CPU_HLT state to put the processor in standby when nothing much is happening).

Unread 6 Aug 2003, 11:27   #7
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
When you're in the bios the CPU is running at near full load because none of the load managemant software is operating (Windows 2K/XP use the CPU_HLT state to put the processor in standby when nothing much is happening).

that's good to hear, do you have an explanation for why none of the utilities I have seen want to display my cpu temp? (its a athlon 1800+)
Unread 6 Aug 2003, 13:32   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

It's not up to the CPU to show temps - it's up to the system monitor chip on the motherboard.
What motherboard make and model is it?

If it's going to work, then MBM5 (previously mentioned) will almost certainly work with it - it's just a case of selecting the right temperature sensor from the list (My board for some reason has 2 physical sensors but 5 ones listed in MBM5, numbered ASUS1 through to ASUS5).

Unread 6 Aug 2003, 21:28   #9
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
From experience (i placed a desktop airconditioner next to my side intake fan so it ended up sucking the cold air away from the pc) your system will suffer a seizure at around 80-85 degrees C

Instability occurs at mid 70's.

mine runs at aruond 50 and 60 when stressed.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 09:28   #10
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
my bios temperature alarm went off yesterday, got damn hot, i set it @ 63C... but system was still stable, I set it to 68C now...

you can't turn off the alarm unless you reset... screaching sound is worse than MBM5's
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 17:00   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

My overheat protection has only kicked in and turned the system off once, when I accidentally disconnected the CPU fan while fiddling around with ANOTHER fan while the machine was running.
A couple of mins after said fiddling and the machine started beeping urgently, and in the 30 seconds it took me to figure out what was going on it had turned itself off.

I then spent the next 15 minutes thinking I'd fried the CPU because it refused to let me boot the thing until the temperature had gone right back down again - trying to boot just resulted in everything powering up for about 5 seconds then powering off again.

Whoops.
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 18:30   #12
Flayer
Wankoverable

Quote:
It's not up to the CPU to show temps - it's up to the system monitor chip on the motherboard.
What motherboard make and model is it?
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP
Unread 7 Aug 2003, 19:06   #13
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:

I then spent the next 15 minutes thinking I'd fried the CPU because it refused to let me boot the thing until the temperature had gone right back down again - trying to boot just resulted in everything powering up for about 5 seconds then powering off again.

Whoops.
Yeh... that's scary. Here it refused to boot Windows once when I fiddled around with the HD's once. I thought I killed the HD and it took me a few minutes to figure out I didn't set the jumpers properly.
Such moments are really bad for your stress levels.

Anyway, my CPU-temp is 55C ATM, and it's pretty much iddling (browsing a bit). However, take into account that this is the hottest day since I have this machine and outside the temp is well over the 30C.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 09:23   #14
wu_trax

mine is 50-53°C now (without doing anything that is)
i took the fan of, cleaned it, and put it on again. (and i put some new <whatever that stuff you put between fan and cpu is called> on the cpu )
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 09:49   #15
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Thermal Interface Material =)
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 10:37   #16
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

I have one of these on my CPU.
While it is nice and quiet, it's a total bugger for filling up with dust and needing to be cleaned every other month. Luckily I have one of those cans of "liquid air" which is perfect for that sort of thing (it just sprays very high pressure air out of a small tube).

Unread 9 Aug 2003, 10:41   #17
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
I have one of these on my CPU.
While it is nice and quiet, it's a total bugger for filling up with dust and needing to be cleaned every other month. Luckily I have one of those cans of "liquid air" which is perfect for that sort of thing (it just sprays very high pressure air out of a small tube).

oh... I should clean out mine for a change then .
Where can I get one of those compressed air cans? Random DIY shops?
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 10:44   #18
wu_trax

my dad has got one of the compressors you use to check the pressure in car tiers. thats ideal for cleaning (you have to take care though or you might blow off some of the jumpers )
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 11:14   #19
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

I got my little can from a local PC shop while at uni.
Not sure what other sorts of places sell them really...
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 16:55   #20
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

i got just the bracket, quite handy, stuck 3 fans on it to cool gfx card and northbridge
Unread 10 Aug 2003, 11:43   #21
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
My AthlonXP 1800+ currently idles at 63.5C.

I've never had any instability problems whatsoever, although it's currently rather warm due to there being a heatwave - in winter it'll probably idle at around 59.
Unread 10 Aug 2003, 17:16   #22
MrBrick
Gone

MrBrick is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm sure I read something about silicon migration at certain temperatures, somwhere.

IIRC the temp was fairly low too.

Google for it if you cba, It was in reference to the lifetime of chips etc.
MrBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2003, 19:27   #23
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
pld me and my p4 2.8 running at load at 37C...

only a quiet processor fan to keep me company as well