User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 1 Jan 2003, 20:27   #1
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
cpu choosing

ok I'm completly stuck as to what cpu to get, I've narrowed it down to the following:

amd xp2100 1.73GHz -£74.27
amd xp2200 1.80GHz - £115.41
amd xp2400 2.0GHz - £138.93
p4 northwood 2.0GHz - £127.14

now given that price difference and the fact that all xp cpu's run at 133MHz while the p4 runs at 200Mhz fsb I'm inclined to say the p4 is the best pick out that lot but I'm always hearing that amd is so much better so which is it? I was also considering the amd xp2100 with it being so cheap but I'm guessing thats cause its using the Palomino Core which makes more heat and its hardly the fastest cpu in the world. Also if anyone thinks none of these processors is worth it and you have a better suggestion please feel free to say

I'd also be intrested to know how much of a difference ram speed makes, cause the amd would take pc2100 and the p4 would take pc3200, would it have much of a difference?

- Q

Last edited by sh@dow; 1 Jan 2003 at 23:53.
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 00:21   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Not all XP's run at 133 fsb (266 effectively) - XP2600s and above run faster (333 effectively) but thats largely irrelevant.
The AMD chips will take anything from PC2100 to PC3200 ram as will the P4's - it all depends on the motherboard. There's little point running anything above PC2100 with the AMD as you get the best results when the RAM runs at the same clock speed as the processor FSB (in this case both run at effectively 266Mhz).

The P4 will outperform all the AMDs with regard to RAM operations if you use PC3200 ram with it as that runs at the same speed as its FSB (400Mhz effectively). However, this does not make much of a noticeable difference.

So long as noise is not much of a consideration go for the fastest AMD you can afford - regardless of how an XP2000 compares to a P4 2Ghz, AMD will always outperform Intel when you compare them on a price/performance basis. An Athlon XP2100 will outperform a P4 2Ghz and costs less.

If you want quietness, you can either watercool your Athlon XP or buy the Intel chip and a silent cooler. Bear in mind that the other components in your case will have to be silent gear, or all this is pointless.

Unread 2 Jan 2003, 00:52   #3
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
for note, the AXP2000+ is £55 @ Komplett.co.uk

What are the rest of your system specs?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 02:18   #4
sh@dow

well I'm only upgrading cause this motherboard is knacked and no sense in just replacing the motherboard for an old cpu, currently I have:

pIII 800
512mb sdram
geforce 3 ti 200
30gb 7200rpm hdd
48x dvd drive
etc

on the note of amd noise, is it really loud? I've never had an amd before and I dont want something thats gonna be whirring nuts just to keep the cpu cool. I'm 'leaning' towards the amd xp2400 - its the best amd cpu I can find for a reasonable price (£140 from scan.co.uk is the best I found). Oh I also heard that its possible to change the fsb of an amd using the 'pencil trick' - is this wise? doesnt really sound like it

meglamaniac - to me there all running at 133 fsb, anything above 2600 is out of the question on my crappy budget (poor student etc). Based on what youve said and what I've heard I'll just go with amd if the memeory speed doesnt really affect performance, its my 1st experience with ddr. Btw is watercooling the only alternative for amd? I'm not really into putting water in my computer an it'll prob cost loads more than anything else

- Q

Last edited by sh@dow; 2 Jan 2003 at 02:27.
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 02:29   #5
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
The P4 there is running at a fsb of 100 MHz quad pumped to 400 MHz - where you are pulling this figure of 200 MHz from is beyond me. Intel recommend you keep memory synchronous with fsb, so for that P4, your choice is either 800 MHz RDRAM (waaaay beyond your budget), 100 MHz SDRAM or PC1600 100Mhz DDR SDRAM (effectively 200 MHz). Unless of course its a Northwood (was there a 2.0A P4 - I cant remember when the 133 MHz quad pumped to 533 MHz P4's came in.. thinking about it, it would be a 2.13 GHz P4, so I am right after all).

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 02:37   #6
sh@dow

ah right well it said the p4's used a fsb of 400mhz so I just assumed it was meaning with ddr

- Q
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 03:46   #7
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
If your budget is as tight as you say, you'd be wise to invest in the xp2100 and some decent DDR RAM. The price difference between the P4-2ghz and the xp2100 will buy you 256mb DDR quite easily.
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 10:37   #8
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
the Northwood 'A' chips (400Mhz FSB quad pumped) end at 2.2-2.4Ghz i think,

The Northwood 'B' chips (533Mhz FSB quadpumped) start @ 2.4Ghz, but most common are the 2.53Ghz chips.
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 18:23   #9
sh@dow

alright thanks for the replies but I have another question now - I decided to go with the amd xp2400 and I've picked the Abit KD7-E KT333 motherboard and for my cpu fan the Coolermaster HHC-L61 Silent Fan. Now I need to know if that fan is good enough for the xp2400 and will it fit on that motherboard? I heard it doesnt fit on some motherboards but I dunno how I'm supposed to find out if it fits. It doesnt exactly tell you what cpu its recommended for just a bunch of specs (the only I understand being that it runs at 3000rpm)

- Q
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 18:48   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
It's usually on the specs of the heatsink.

Athlon XP's are "socket A" processors. The specs of your cooler will tell you if it it heavy enough for the XP2400+.

I have found a doc:
http://www.coolermaster.com.hk/en/pr...r/hhc-l61.html
And a german one from a sales site:
http://www.pearl.de/p/PE2586-CoolerM..._Sockel_A.html

It's compatible with Socket A & socket 370 (AMD & Pentiums). Sadly the german one states that it can be used UP TO an XP2200+. You might run into trouble with the 2400+.

It was a biatch finding that one site that mentioned the maximum processor compatibility so it migth not be 100% accurate.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 18:54   #11
sh@dow

ack so I'll have to find another fan then, cant use that if the max is 2200, anyone have experience with a good silent cooling thing I can use? I didnt really see any other silent fans on those sites

- Q
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 19:13   #12
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
http://www.coolermaster.com/products/products.html

http://www.coolermaster.com/products...-7h53f-0c.html
http://www.coolermaster.com/products...-7h53f-0l.html
http://www.coolermaster.com/products...-7jd1b-0l.html
http://www.coolermaster.com/products...-7jd1b-0l.html

NOTE that these coolers go up to the Palamino 2200+ and thoroughbred 2600+.
If you have a thoroughbred you will be able to use most of the listed silent coolers.
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 20:11   #13
sh@dow

what about the Akasa AK824CU HSF? I can get it for really cheap but it looks rather small to be cooling a cpu like that, would it be ok?

- Q
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 21:47   #14
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
my setup :

AXP2100+
Geforce 4 Mx420
1 80gig hdd.
1 cdrw

thats all you need to know pretty much.

i run one exhaust fan which is 80mm and the CPU came with a guaranteed Heatsink and fan. Ive hooked this upto my Hardcano unit which controls the speed of the cpu. When i set it to low the cpu idles at about 52 degrees C

the noise is minimal for a computer. admittedly its louder than my brothers P4 2.8ghz (goddamn ****sucker) but when i put it under the desk away from a bed its sleepable.

Im not entirely sure i need the exhaust either seeing as the AMD heatsink and fan comes with a guarantee to disspiate enough heat for the cpu to last for 3 years minimum. tbh if you do buy the cpu fan seperatly theres no such guarantees and while they MAY be slightly less noisy the AMD supplied one is not THAT bad. it has variable speed possiblities and when its not running full pelt and turned down to about 3000rpm its still keeps the processor cool.

id change the mobo to one which detects cpu and board temp tho. if you do want 'super quiet' its worth doing this especially if your not investing in watercooling. THat way if you do intent running minimal fans and the cpu does reach a level where its endangering its very existance the mobo will shut down everything.

Id highly recommend the Asus A7N8X (deluxe if yuo can get it). only 100 quid but its packed full of stuff.

have fun :-)
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 21:58   #15
sh@dow

Asus A7N8X looks good but arent you just paying for the built in sound/network card etc? I though the motherboard I picked had cpu temperature monitoring btw, atleas thats what I read on a website..

- Q

Last edited by sh@dow; 2 Jan 2003 at 22:13.
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 23:00   #16
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
reasons id recommend asus board :

Onboard Soundstorm technology so its all dolby digital stuff.
Dual Lan ports.
6 USB
Firewire output.
POST system for bios checks.
constant cpu monitoring
easy to use bios
easy installation
supports upto pc3200 and allows for synch between the memory effectivly increasing speed considerably when installing in pairs.
supports Raid
supports Serial ATA
8x agp
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 23:01   #17
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Originally posted by sh@dow
Asus A7N8X looks good but arent you just paying for the built in sound/network card etc? I though the motherboard I picked had cpu temperature monitoring btw, atleas thats what I read on a website..
The A7N performs excellently (ads read in reviews). I'm going to get myself one as soon as I can.
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 23:08   #18
JammyJim
Godfather

oh its also got nforce2 which is rather ace for graphics cards.

i had 0 problems installing it and it was all rather easy.

http://www.asus.com/products/mb/sock...d/overview.htm
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 23:17   #19
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by JammyJim
oh its also got nforce2 which is rather ace for graphics cards.

i had 0 problems installing it and it was all rather easy.

http://www.asus.com/products/mb/sock...d/overview.htm
were did you buy it from
im looking for the cheapest place to get it only looked at scan and overclockers so far dabs dont seem to do it
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 23:20   #20
JammyJim
Godfather

scan.

its 100 quid but tbh its worth every penny for what you get.

the sound card and the lan cards alone would add up to a fair amount. especially seeing as its 5.1 surround with all sorts of special crap...

and i quote

"Experience the full power of surround sound audio with the NVIDIA® SoundStorm™. With the integrated APU (Audio Processing Unit) you will feel the impact in games or music. And with the only Dolby® Digital 5.1 encoder you can hear it all in amazing digital cinema clarity on your home theater receiver or digital PC speaker system."

however it also supports 6.1 sound....

LOVELY.
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 01:03   #21
sh@dow

lol ok I'll get that motherboard since you lot seem in love with it, so basically I should just ditch my pci sound card in favour of the onboard sound? firewire doesnt seem necessary but apart from that and me already having a sound card it looks ok. Btw I found the deluxe version on ebuyer.co.uk for £112 inc vat, which is about £10 less than on scan.co.uk so might aswell get it aye? I couldnt find the normal 1 cheaper so its either that from scan.co.uk or deluxe from ebuyer.co.uk

oh btw 1 last thing just to make sure I'm not messing my comp up when I'm setting it up can anyone tell me what the optimal speed for an amd althon 2400xp is? or point me in the direction of a good website, google doesnt like me lately.

- Q
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 01:56   #22
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by sh@dow
lol ok I'll get that motherboard since you lot seem in love with it, so basically I should just ditch my pci sound card in favour of the onboard sound? firewire doesnt seem necessary but apart from that and me already having a sound card it looks ok. Btw I found the deluxe version on ebuyer.co.uk for £112 inc vat, which is about £10 less than on scan.co.uk so might aswell get it aye? I couldnt find the normal 1 cheaper so its either that from scan.co.uk or deluxe from ebuyer.co.uk

oh btw 1 last thing just to make sure I'm not messing my comp up when I'm setting it up can anyone tell me what the optimal speed for an amd althon 2400xp is? or point me in the direction of a good website, google doesnt like me lately.

Asus A7N8X-Deluxe - nForce-2 - x8 AGP+Lan+6Ch Sound+SATA+1394+SATA-RAID+USB2 102.75exl vat 120.73inc vat

thats scans price

jj has the deluxe as well
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 15:30   #23
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=36843
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=36341

Spend less on speed, more on silence
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 23:18   #24
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Komplett.co.uk are doing AMD Athlon XP2000+ for £55, i doubt you could honestly tell any performance diff between the 2100+ or 2000+

and personally, I think silence is over rated, I prefer a nice cool computer
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 23:45   #25
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
silence is bliss.
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 10:25   #26
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
Originally posted by BesigedB
silence is bliss.
when you need to sleep maybe
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 11:19   #27
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by Luckeh!!!!
when you need to sleep maybe
Or watch a movie...
Watching a movie with a jet engine next to you isn't funny.

/me hugs his Zalman cooler
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 03:00   #28
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BesigedB
silence is bliss.
Silence is golden.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 15:46   #29
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by MT
Silence is golden.
i always thought it was kinda pinkish..
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 17:03   #30
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote: