User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 15 Nov 2003, 14:39   #1
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Dyslexia

I've noticed that about 60%+ of the people I know are 'dyslexic'. They have appauling spelling + grammar and most have not read more than 2 books in their whole life.

I pointed out that perhaps they are just too lazy to actually learn how to spell and that if they actually read some more books they would have a start at learning how words are spelt rather than just invoking the mighty name of dyslexia.

Am I just being arrogant? Or are people using a valid ailment as an excuse to stay stupid?
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 14:45   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Dyslexia

I cna tpy 300 wdrs a mnite
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 14:50   #3
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee
I've noticed that about 60%+ of the people I know are 'dyslexic'. They have appauling spelling + grammar and most have not read more than 2 books in their whole life.

I pointed out that perhaps they are just too lazy to actually learn how to spell and that if they actually read some more books they would have a start at learning how words are spelt rather than just invoking the mighty name of dyslexia.

Am I just being arrogant? Or are people using a valid ailment as an excuse to stay stupid?
complete agreement.

and you know what else pisses me off?

people in wheelchairs.

well ****ing duh, of course your legs are never going to be strong enough to walk if you sit in a chair your whole life. lazy ****tard.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 14:59   #4
Coffee
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
well ****ing duh, of course your legs are never going to be strong enough to walk if you sit in a chair your whole life. lazy ****tard.
damn straight! they should drag their crippled asses about! lets see christopher reeve get around using just his lips? lazy bastards!
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 15:01   #5
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I know two dyslexic people, one of whom is a dumbass and one of whom isn't.

Then there's a third that faked a concentration problem to get 25% extra time on his A-Levels but he's a tit.
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 15:04   #6
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Current-day society works towards making people more stupid by the increasing importance of machines over mind. With spell-checkers and calculators taking over the need to have the ability to spell coherently and do relatively simple mathematics mentally, the ability simply degrades due to lack of use, or doesn't evolve at all to begin with.

"I don't need to know how to spell, I have a spell checker for that."
"I don't need to be able to multiply numbers, I have a calculator for that."
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 15:05   #7
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
When people say "I'm dyslexic", on internet forums, what they often mean is "I'm stupid/lazy/illiterate/all of them."
The same applies to a lesser extent in real life.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 15:07   #8
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all

There will be some genuine dyslexics, but no where near 60%. I think most of that 60% are people who are too lazy to learn/don't care. The rest are people who don't want to face up to the fact that they are just stupid and dyslexia provides a useful excuse, ala "I’m not stupid, I'm dyslexic."

The most ridiculous thing about dyslexia is people diagnosed with it get to do all their exams in a more relaxed atmosphere, in a classroom rather than a main hall, with someone to help them read/understand the questions! Not only that but they get 25% more time to do their exams. Utter b*****ks I'm afraid, totally unfair.

Kick the Baby! - did we rock your world?
Emperor Rozenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 15:07   #9
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point

true natural selection would be great.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 15:08   #10
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Do you know what really ****s me off? ****ing kids on Friends Reunited putting themselves down as having left in 'a given year' (most likely 2003) only to continue with 'working towards GCSEs' or some other bollocks because they haven't actually left, as per the purpose of the site, oh no, they're still ****ing there and just want to copy the big boys and girls.

****ING HELL I'M VEXED.
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 15:13   #11
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Rozenski
Utter b*****ks I'm afraid, totally unfair.
For those who genuinely suffer from dyslexia, I reckon it's no more than fair. Or do you think it's bollocks that blind people get their exams in braille too?
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 15:20   #12
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
They have appauling spelling + grammar
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 15:26   #13
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

books suck dude
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 15:26   #14
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

a dyslexic pimp bought a warehouse,

ps sorry
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 15:27   #15
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
They have appauling spelling + grammar
Quoted a second time purely for teen-style kicks.
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 15:32   #16
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

you all should hear about the suicidal dyslexic who shit himself

ps sorry
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 15:34   #17
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all

Your analogy doesn't work. A blind person could not do the exam at all without it being in Braille.
A dyslexic person could still attempt the exam without 25% extra time.
Lesson for Leshy: Analogies should be relevant.

Lets face it 25% is a piss take.
Most of the time spent in an exam is compiling an answer. You don't need an extra 25% just because you have trouble reading the question.
Not just that, it is 25% in all exams. I fail to see the need for 25% extra time in a mathematics examination where your answers will be numeric working.

It gives a skewed picture to potential employers. Who is the better candidate? - The person who got a 55%/C grade in Math’s or the other person who also got 55%/C but needed 25% more time and an extra person to help them interoperate the questions?
On an even playing field would the second person have passed the exam?

Everyone is not equal, giving dyslexic people extra time in an exam hides that fact and is unfair.

Kick the Baby! - did we rock your world?
Emperor Rozenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 15:37   #18
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
You don't need an extra 25% just because you have trouble reading the question.
http://www.bda-dyslexia.org.uk/main/...s/p01signs.asp

Read the 12+ bit. Dyslexics can have difficulty planning and writing too.

I assume you do some of that during an exam.
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 16:07   #19
Coffee
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Quoted a second time purely for teen-style kicks.
Not saying I am the worlds greatest speller, but I dont shout 'dyslexia' every time someone mentions it.
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 20:12   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Current-day society works towards making people more stupid by the increasing importance of machines over mind.
Maybe it's just changing the type of intelligence necessary to do well. I don't see why we should treasure particular skills if computers can do them n times better.

For instance, does it matter if people can no longer recite Hamlet, but instead are experts at finding the particularly segment on-line in a matter of seconds?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 20:17   #21
Bob The Scutter
Annoying Robot Thing

Bob The Scutter is an unknown quantity at this point

computers are shit

the human brain is more powerful (fact, i think)... computers are just made by humans to make things a lot more easier, without the human brain they wouldnt exist
fo shizzle ma nizzle: a bastardization of "fo' sheezy mah neezy" which is a bastardization of "for sure mah nigga" which is a bastdardization of "I concur with you whole heartedly my African american brother."
Bob The Scutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 20:28   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Scutter
the human brain is more powerful (fact, i think)... computers are just made by humans to make things a lot more easier, without the human brain they wouldnt exist
I don't think anyone was arguing that badgers made computers.

Besides, the argument about which is more "powerful" is dumb. Which is more powerful, a television or a can opener?
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 20:32   #23
Bob The Scutter
Annoying Robot Thing

Bob The Scutter is an unknown quantity at this point

well you know what i meant anyway :P
fo shizzle ma nizzle: a bastardization of "fo' sheezy mah neezy" which is a bastardization of "for sure mah nigga" which is a bastdardization of "I concur with you whole heartedly my African american brother."
Bob The Scutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 20:55   #24
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

The thing is, like Glimmerman's (woah retro ) saying i think, in a job, in real life, there isn't going to be someone there to help them or give them more time, so why on Earth should they get it during exams?

Two candidates for a job, one has no problems reading/writing/etc and the other is dyslexic and would require longer to perform the job to the same standard, who should get the job?

Two candidates for a job, one has no problems reading/writing/etc and the other is less intelligent and so would take longer to perform the job to the same standard, who should get the job?

Surely the person who can perform the job to the higher standard, in the quicker time is the best suited to the job, regardless of sex, race, religous beliefs and not having dyslexia.

<edit>2 of my best mates are dyslexic, one has known about it for years and the other one only found out in 1st year of uni after talking to the one who's known for ages</edit>
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 21:32   #25
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Your analogy doesn't work. A blind person could not do the exam at all without it being in Braille.
Nor could a dyslexia patient finish the exam in the given time without any aid.
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 21:36   #26
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Maybe it's just changing the type of intelligence necessary to do well. I don't see why we should treasure particular skills if computers can do them n times better.
Because you're not always around a computer. Would you rather be operated on by a doctor who is capable of performing the operation, or by a doctor who knows where to look up the exact procedure?
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 21:37   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Idiot savantes, probably not.

If it, however, may be taken as representative of intelligence hold on you don't believe in that.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 21:54   #28
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Because you're not always around a computer. Would you rather be operated on by a doctor who is capable of performing the operation, or by a doctor who knows where to look up the exact procedure?
Performing surgery is, to an extent, a practical skill. You need to have seen the operation a certain number of times before you are allowed to perform it (generally) and your competence obviously increases with each practice. So that's not a good example really.

I wouldn't mind if my doctor didn't have perfect memory for somethings though, so long as he always looked things up before acting (and that's more of a discipline issue).

Yes, we are away from computers sometimes, but in the modern world, that's not very often. It's like asking whether we should teach our children to cope without electricity. Undoubtedly we should, but it's hardly the #1 priority in life, since the times you will be without electricity is fairly rare (unless you choose such a life).
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 22:18   #29
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Performing surgery is, to an extent, a practical skill. You need to have seen the operation a certain number of times before you are allowed to perform it (generally) and your competence obviously increases with each practice. So that's not a good example really.
No different from grammar, spelling and mathematics then.

Sure, they may technically be mental skills, but they are applied directly into practice. You apply your knowledge of the subject when writing a letter, or when calculating how much woodwork you'll need for your garden fence. In addition, they are skills that improve with practise, just like any manual skill.
Quote:
Yes, we are away from computers sometimes, but in the modern world, that's not very often. It's like asking whether we should teach our children to cope without electricity.
The plane you are flying in is very unlikely to crash. Does that make safety instructions unimportant, since you'll probably never need to apply them anyway?
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 22:24   #30
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Mathematics is a seperate case, because you don't necessarily need the same teaching structure as other things; independent derivision is possible.
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 22:26   #31
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Mathematics is a seperate case, because you don't necessarily need the same teaching structure as other things; independent derivision is possible.
It's still a case of having to practise it to be good at it. Unless you can be good at maths having to break out a calculator 20 times a day.
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 22:31   #32
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

apparently it's because as children learnt how to use the right side of their brain (the visual side that is also realted to imagination and stuff like that) to do everything.

and when they got to school due to the fact they had crap left-sided brain skills as they never needed to use that side before (the spelling, writting & reading side) they had intense difficulties. they tried to get along with their right side which isn't really suited to it all.

read the gift of dyslexia if you are interested.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Nov 2003, 23:34   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
It's still a case of having to practise it to be good at it. Unless you can be good at maths having to break out a calculator 20 times a day.
Aside from the fact that mathematics doesn't deal in numbers, 1/2 of mathematicians can do mental arithmatic immensely quickly and the rest can't do it at all.
Unread 16 Nov 2003, 02:31   #34
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about

DId you hear about the dyslexic who sold his soul to santa?

What does DNA stand for?

National Dyslexic association.

BOOM SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE THE ROOM
Unread 16 Nov 2003, 03:21   #35
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla
BOOM SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE THE ROOM
Go away. Dyslectic.

Unread 16 Nov 2003, 08:28   #36
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about

Being one of the people you are talking about here, I can't help but feel glad that you will never know the misery of being considered stupid by teachers, being put into remidial classes and let us never forget the teachers report 'He doesn't want to do his best as we all know he can' Utter ****ing tiny minded bastards that most teachers can be.

There are 2 problems that dyslexics face at school and in later life.

1. Frustration. Knowing you can do something but are unable to understand why you can't do it.

2. Prejudice. Little story for you. My cousin, who has it worse than me, took business at A level, the first lesson his teacher asked him to spell business, which he couldn't. She sent him out of the class refusing to teach him as, in her words 'If you can't spell business, you can't do business' My uncle got her sacked the day later, but the damage had been done He went on to get a masters in Micro-Biology and currently earns £100k+.

I got a masters in Maths in the end, even though my maths teacher at A level told me that i would never begin to understand maths, and perhaps laying bricks was better for me.

I dont consider Dyslexia a handicap, I do think peoples attidude towards dyslexia is a handicap, for everbody concerned, its the same in all things, people who are prejudiced (stupid small minded ignorant **** heads) are a cancer in our society.

Teachers should be vetted, the same way police and other people of authority and influece are, for prejudice. And Board posters should be vetted for brain rot and solipsism.

Try to think of it this way, what would you do and think if your child had these problems?

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2003, 09:18   #37
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Zyth,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...200983-4410051
Unread 16 Nov 2003, 09:52   #38
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

hahahah cant spell business hhahahaha
Unread 16 Nov 2003, 11:11   #39
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Indeed, but we don't have a machine which can 'do' operations to an even vaguely similar level to a surgeon yet. Therefore, a surgeon who could simply know where to look up how to do operations would be dramatically a worse surgeon. However, a Historian who cannot remember the exact date such and such an event occurred, but knows where to find out is not necessarily a worse historian than one who can. Or a mathematician who can't do long division in his head, and so on.
Quote:
The plane you are flying in is very unlikely to crash. Does that make safety instructions unimportant, since you'll probably never need to apply them anyway?
That's a matter of life and death (and no, I don't ever bother reading them). I think it's fairly remote chance that have a reduced spelling ability would directly cause death (yes, you can construct a scenario where it occurs, but it's rather unlikely).
Unread 16 Nov 2003, 12:47   #40
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

I am dyslexic.

However, I've never had the need for extra time in an exam. I finished all of my A-levels with at least a third of the time to spare (usually including my brief read though), except 2. I didn't apply for extra time. Work rate is not only to do with dyslexia, I know people who struggled to finish exams in the given time... should they be given extra time because the speed they can work?

When I was at primary school I was told I wouldn't get into the school I applied to because of my poor english. This showed a lack of intelligence on their part and not mine. People should be educated about dyslexia, but at the same time far too many people are diagnosed with dyslexia.

There are different levels of dyslexia. People with only mild cases, like myself, need to shut up and work maybe a little harder, instead of using it as an excuse. People with worse cases should be recognised and the correct help given to them.

A case of a few dyslexics letting the whole dyslexic side down.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 13:09   #41
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:

I don't think I have ever read one book in my entire life yet I am able to spell and my grammar is OK. Most of the dyslexics I know are on here.

You are an arrogant book worm.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 13:10   #42
Marilyn Manson
Gone

A perfectly good thread was, once again, ruined by people being sensible and serious. Shame on you all.
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 14:37   #43
Coffee
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTester
You are an arrogant book worm.
Arrogant?

Ok, true, fair enough.

But calling someone a 'book worm' while frequenting a forum for an 'online space game' is a little rich, really.

Mind you, the 'belittle the geek in the hope people think you are the king of cool' tactic is quite popular around here it seems. People such as yourself are the cause of a large proportion of the idiocy in society - taking the piss out of people for things which are perfectly normal causes them to think anything that isnt football or drinking isnt cool.

I may not be 'cool' but at least i'm not a stupid sheep.

Unread 17 Nov 2003, 15:28   #44
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

You want a hand down from that soap box? You asked if you were being arrogant, I just said you was, wormy.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 15:30   #45
Kemb

Quote:
Arrogant?

Ok, true, fair enough.

But calling someone a 'book worm' while frequenting a forum for an 'online space game' is a little rich, really.

Mind you, the 'belittle the geek in the hope people think you are the king of cool' tactic is quite popular around here it seems. People such as yourself are the cause of a large proportion of the idiocy in society - taking the piss out of people for things which are perfectly normal causes them to think anything that isnt football or drinking isnt cool.

I may not be 'cool' but at least i'm not a stupid sheep.

Ride on!
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 16:22   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
You want a hand down from that soap box? You asked if you were being arrogant, I just said you was, wormy.
Quote:
Arrogant?

Ok, true, fair enough.
I take it you've got a moral stance that opposes all reading then.
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 16:57   #47
Coffee
Ensign

Quote:
wormy.
YUO ARE THE COOL!
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 17:28   #48
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
That's a pretty ****ing high percentage. Do you go to a dyslexic school or something? Most people don't read books because they spend their time drinking or thinking they're cool or somehow wasting their lives in another fashion which is pretty ****ing shallow really.

Quote:
That'd probably work for a lot of people but I'm not too sure. I mean have you ever tried calling a foreigner stupid? You're automatically a racist regardless of the fact they just poured hot coffee on themselves because they didn't realise it was boiling despite the fact it was said 15 times and there's a giant sticker on the coffee cup warning you of the temperature of your beloved beverage.

Quote:
Being arrogant doesn't necessarily mean you're incorrect.
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 17:41   #49
Weeks
Banned

I believe most dyslexics believe themselves (and maybe end up being) lazy in terms of reading because they find it so hard.

But i believe there is a difference between lazy in terms of not being bothered to read because they don't care or don't want to read a book. And lazy in terms of not being bothered to read because they find it so hard.
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 17:47   #50
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough

Yay for specialization! \o/

I found out this weekend, while discussing LoTR, that one of my cousins's husband (is there a word for that relation? He's the husband of the daughter of the sister of my father...) has read a grand total of one book. He's not stupid or anything, he just doesn't need or want it. He works in construction.