User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Mar 2003, 17:22   #1
Kegluneq

Kegluneq is an unknown quantity at this point
PC TV Cards

Does anyone here have one, and are they any good?
Kegluneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 17:23   #2
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future
Yeah, but I never made any serious attempt to get it to work.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 17:24   #3
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
I had one, but I hardly ever used it. It wasn't bad or anything, I just prefer to watch TV on a TV, especially as TVs are generally much bigger than monitors.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 17:28   #4
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
tv is better by far generally
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 17:30   #5
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
i got one hauppage wintv one with radio as well

very useful studenty wise, and it can get a little fuzzy, and not high definition

but it is good and saves on having two TV's (note monitor and TV) in your bedroom
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 17:39   #6
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
I have wintv too but I vote against its clones.

My uncle has one and the software is very ****.
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 17:44   #7
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
I had a nice pinnacle one.

Plugged the arial (ariel?) straight into it, worked lovely, just like a tv. My monitor was 21" so it was nice and big.

It also could record at perfect quality. It send the hard drive mad and took up a LOT of HD space but it was nice. i could set it to record something in the night and then wake up in the morning and watch it.
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 17:49   #8
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla
Plugged the arial (ariel?) straight into it
aerial
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 18:37   #9
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Vanilla try compressing it into divx, that might help...
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 21:01   #10
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Bunga
Vanilla try compressing it into divx, that might help...
Yeah, I could've, but at the time i had like 150GB spare space (we're talking over a year ago) so i used to let it build up, watch it and then delete it.

No need to compress the stuff the storage cost me a fortune, might as well use it
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 21:05   #11
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
buy a telly you cheapskate.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 21:10   #12
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Bought a cheapish Hauppauge Nicam tuner card. Pictures ok but still a bit strange compared to a standard PAL TV (and NTSC I guess).

Tunes cable and radio too. And WinTV allows you to record but I never got this to work. Never needed to really.
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 21:12   #13
Kegluneq

Kegluneq is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, it's not for me. My brother came into some money and decided he wanted a TV card. Is it worth him getting one? And more importantly, how much do they cost?
Kegluneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 21:34   #14
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Had a quick look on Scan for prices.

£25 quid for WinTV to go, which is a bog standard basic TV card (Mono probably).

The more expensive ones can do TiVo style stuff and can record direct to MPEG-2.
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 22:46   #15
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
I have one of those!

I've put Sky through it. I watch Sky.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Mar 2003, 00:27   #16
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough
i got one of the WinTV jobbys, got the £80 card for £40 cos of a PC world 'mistake', anyway, works fine for me, i can watch TV / Video's / FreeView at uni without the need for a seperate screen which i really don't have the space for.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote