User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 27 Jan 2003, 23:17   #1
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
My desktop

Here

As you can see its crap. I want to make it look super spiffy.

I know absolutely nowt about anything to do with coding or other languages of any sort.

I don't even know where to begin.

I would like to end up with something looking even half as cool as Mr. Jims one

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

thank you
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 23:21   #2
Ap0k
Spritely:

Ap0k is an unknown quantity at this point
see this thread and this one and also this one
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 23:25   #3
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Yes, but i'm on Win2kpro here
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 23:29   #4
Ap0k
Spritely:

background = black.

find a nice pic that will either a) stretch the full screen res comfortably or b) fit centered in the middle.

git rid of that hideous amount of icons in ur quickmenu

(run -> msconfig then shut down all the programs u dont actually need to have in it. ur puter will oad faster + itll look a lot sexier. )

find some icons for the shortcuts on ur desktop (dont ask meh where, i dunno), failing that, just get rid of them altogether like i did, shortcuts on desktop are a bit ugly imo, + i always have windows open so they are pretty useless.

drag ur taskbar up one level, so u shud then have a level with taskbar shortcus, and a level for just ur application/program tabs.

and erm... cant think of anything else. i can give u a sample of how mine used to look, might help u get a better idea of what im talkin about, if u want.
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 23:41   #5
NotLife
Supreme Being

NotLife is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Ap0k
see this thread and this one and also this one

hehe good you postet it, if not I would have done it.

we all have seen this "my desktop" thread, everybode so eager to show there 1337 desktop

Me
NotLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 23:45   #6
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Right.

I now have Win XP Pro installed and on the go, so I shall commence with previous instructions Thanks guys
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 23:49   #7
NotLife
Supreme Being

NotLife is an unknown quantity at this point
no problem

Me
NotLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 23:51   #8
bobble

bobble is an unknown quantity at this point
egads your computer has to be slow as a turtle with all that in the startup menu....yikes!
CNN is liberal bull****...no wonder you people are so ****ing stupid. If you want a real News Channel try Fox News.
bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 23:54   #9
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Actually its pretty quick
Unread 27 Jan 2003, 23:56   #10
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
too....many....taskbar....icons...head....exploding....
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 00:05   #11
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Ap0k
(run -> msconfig then shut down all the programs u dont actually need to have in it. ur puter will oad faster + itll look a lot sexier. )
You'll need a third party app to do this under win2000, as msconfig dosen't feature.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 00:07   #12
Ap0k
Spritely:

i didnt know that
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 00:16   #13
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Woof
You'll need a third party app to do this under win2000, as msconfig dosen't feature.
a few minutes searching on google leads me to post this link: http://www.nwktc.org/tutorials/msconfig2k.html
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 00:42   #14
Lord Zor
Super Trooper

Lord Zor is an unknown quantity at this point
Try windowblinds
am I jump all nimbly bimly from tree to tree?am I drinking milk from a saucer?
Do you see me eating mice?
Lord Zor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 01:15   #15
grkn
Shadow of the past

grkn is an unknown quantity at this point
Just use RegCleaner, its a nice freeware tool for messing around with your registry. It also atumagically backups all the keys you delete, so you can restore them in case you fk up your comp.

Give it a go and do some quick sweep through the startup list. You can get along with less than 8 tasks there (including firewall, virusscanner and mousesoft). Kill all those unnecesary and annoying agents (like winamp, realplayer, musicmatch jukebox or whatever those critters are called). The person who invented them should be stabbed, hung and shot.

A good place to start looking for desktop images (beside pr0n pages, if you prefer that as desktop picture) is wincustomize.org.

If you are very coureagous, you can venture into working with litestep (a good start for this is over at http://www.shelfront.org). It is a quite powerfull replacement for the explorer as a windows "shell" and is highly customizeable. Altough you also have to find a good theme for it, which requires a bit of searching.
The price for all that is that you have to put some time in learning how to configure that ****.

karrde

One OS to rule them all, One Passport to find them,
One OS to bring them all, And with the EULA bind them.
In the land of Redmond where the windows lie.

"...to leave the Elysium the dead had to drink from and travel beyond the River of Oblivion, Lethe, to once again return to the mortal realm..."
grkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 01:49   #16
Xillah

Xillah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Zor
Try windowblinds
Quote:

Blinds Depot
A huge selection of top quality window treatments for all types of surroundings.Thousands of satisfied customers coast to coast! Free Samples. Order Online.
www.blindsdepot.com

1 Window Treatments
A huge selection of quality window treatments for all types of surroundings. Order Online.
www.1windowtreatments.com

Window blinds & Shades
Specializing in the production of high quality low priced window treatments.
www.blinds.to
heh.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 01:51   #17
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyr0 MK III
Here

As you can see its crap. I want to make it look super spiffy.
My desktop is a little unusual, but I prefer it over the dull standard desktop, or overly fancy graphics widgets which do nothing at all.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 10:14   #18
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez
My desktop is a little unusual, but I prefer it over the dull standard desktop, or overly fancy graphics widgets which do nothing at all.
I have noe off these fancy ones that there really is not point at all to use, exept that it uses up my ram as hell.

(Its kinda l33t thought, now i only need that piccy off the pink sherman, and im all set!)

Pyr0, its really not that hard. I have not done ****e, and i configured a desktop in about 1 hour.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 10:35   #19
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla
too....many....taskbar....icons...head....exploding....
heh heh, that's evuhl indeed

Look here:
http://structural.webuser.impulsed.net/img/desktop.jpg
That's what mine was yesterday. I installed windowblinds and coolmon yesterday for my network stats, which winbar (the bar in the bottom) cannot handle. And I can only say: "WINDOWBLINDS SUX0R!!!!!".

Dammit....... and there are no neat iconning tools for win2k either.

BTW, little question... is it possible to launch an application from the active desktop? If so, I'll be making a neat HTML page with embedded buttons and launches and I'll be using that.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 13:37   #20
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
BTW, little question... is it possible to launch an application from the active desktop? If so, I'll be making a neat HTML page with embedded buttons and launches and I'll be using that.

Surely that can be achieved with file://c:/path/to/file.exe?

Althought personally I wouldn't use active desktop, I tried it on several versions of windows including 2k, and it isnt exactly the most stable tool in the box.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 17:38   #21
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Surely that can be achieved with file://c:/path/to/file.exe?

Althought personally I wouldn't use active desktop, I tried it on several versions of windows including 2k, and it isnt exactly the most stable tool in the box.
negative..... it will ask me if I want to download the file...
pity.
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 17:40   #22
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
I bet you get great system performance with all those taskbar programmes running.

ps remove the wrestling game.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 17:42   #23
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Finished product here
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 20:15   #24
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
negative..... it will ask me if I want to download the file...
pity.
Click "Run from current location"
Uncheck "Always ask before opening this type of file"
Unread 28 Jan 2003, 20:47   #25
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Click "Run from current location"
Uncheck "Always ask before opening this type of file"
would be kinda nasty if I downloaded stuff like other exes, no?

Anyway, I tossed out the desktop modding crap, like the calendar, coolmon and windowblinds. They caused flickering when I ran my openGL apps in windowed mode, which is unacceptable.