User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 23 Feb 2003, 16:35   #1
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
[Brag] I'd like you to meet my new computer

Those respectable guys at Dell have again coerced me into buying a new system. This time a server.

Code:
2.0 Xeon Processor
Mobo with dual cpu capbility
73GB 10krpm 68pin u320 scsi drive
73GB 10krpm 68pin u320 scsi drive (two of them)
128mb ECC Registered DDR ram
Cool server case
on-board giganic
450W PSU
on-board 8mb gfx
on-board LSI scsi controller
48x cdrom
floppy
mouse 
keyboard
All for the bargain price of $580 (360 pounds/538 Euro)

Bargain!

[/brag]
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 16:35   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
I now hate you
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 16:39   #3
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle29uk
I now hate you
heyyyy don't hate me. It's only my third machine

Will go nicely with my p4 2.4 and my xp 2100+
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 16:40   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla

short on ram ?
dont like the mobo, generic ?
hard drive space seems small.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 16:42   #5
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
146gb is small? Jesus.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 16:45   #6
Vanilla

Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3
short on ram ?
RAM: I had to take 128mb other wise I couldn't claim the $100 rebate. No matter as I can get 256mb of ecc registered ram form crucial for $60.

Mobo: Generic woo ha. It's an ultra stable dual cpu dell SERVER mobo with one of their new chipsets.

HD SPace: it's 146mb!!! AND SCSI!!! u320 SCSI!!!

besides, I already have 310gb of IDE hd space and 20gb of scsi space
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 16:45   #7
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
short on ram ?
Add a little more RAM and it'd run KDE like a dream though
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 16:47   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
short on ram ?
yeh! What's up with the RAM? I mean, only 128MB for a server system?

HD space is more that enough, or you would want to host a huge DB/set of movies.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 16:48   #9
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
americans and their f*cking rebate
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 16:48   #10
Vanilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
yeh! What's up with the RAM? I mean, only 128MB for a server system?

HD space is more that enough, or you would want to host a huge DB/set of movies.
Basically I could have taken a free upgrade to 256mb....but then I would have invalidated the $100 rebate for not taking the free upgrade. I didn't see the point in spending $100 on 128mb....when I could get 256mb for $60.

Not even sure i'll keep the system, at the moment i'm looking at stripping the system, taking the HD's for my main machine.
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 17:12   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:

I see your 2.4 and 2100 and raise you a 2.0 and a 2700.

What graphics cards have you?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 17:28   #12
Vanilla

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
I see your 2.4 and 2100 and raise you a 2.0 and a 2700.

What graphics cards have you?
actually the 2.4 is at around 2.9 and the 2100 is at 2500 equivalent speeds.

Got a 128mb ti4200 @ ti4600 speeds and a 64mb gf4mx in the other
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 17:35   #13
KillGhost
1Up

KillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really nice
gimme one of those
[Spore] HC
Former Public Relations Officer of QQ
KillGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 17:49   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Got a 128mb ti4200 @ ti4600 speeds and a 64mb gf4mx in the other
4200 and radeon 9700 pro here
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 17:55   #15
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [Brag] I'd like you to meet my new computer

Quote:
Those respectable guys at Dell have again coerced me into buying a new system. This time a server.

Code:
2.0 Xeon Processor
Cool server case
on-board giganic
450W PSU
on-board 8mb gfx
48x cdrom
floppy
mouse 
keyboard

Bargain!

[/brag]
nice processor but only 146gb storage, 128mb ram and a crap gfx card ?

you was robbed

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 17:57   #16
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
GeForce FX

My lucky bastard m8 won this last month
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 17:59   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyr0 MK III
My lucky bastard m8 won this last month
That's pretty much identical to the setup of my top pc, apart from its an Athlon rather than a P4.

And XP Pro Corporate instead of Home, ofc.
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 18:05   #18
Vanilla

Re: Re: [Brag] I'd like you to meet my new computer

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaio
nice processor but only 146gb storage, 128mb ram and a crap gfx card ?

you was robbed

Vaio
146gb of SCSI u320 storage.

Have a look and see how much any u320 73gb drive costs

I already got around 350mb of storage anyway.

The ram is not important, i'm stripping the machine anyway. Besides I can get 256mb for $60.

bleh!
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 18:08   #19
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Quote:
HD SPace: it's 146mb!!! AND SCSI!!! u320 SCSI!!!
I believe it's 146GB - I fail to see how you can accidentally mistake the "M" which is inbetween a "N" and a "," with what you should have posted a "G" (which is between a "F" and a "H" )

anyway - not bad for £360 altho u were ripped off imo. memory side and gfx wise
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 18:09   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Re: Re: Re: [Brag] I'd like you to meet my new computer

Quote:
I think you mean gb, unless you're being retro.
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 18:14   #21
Vanilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Androme2
I believe it's 146GB - I fail to see how you can accidentally mistake the "M" which is inbetween a "N" and a "," with what you should have posted a "G" (which is between a "F" and a "H" )

anyway - not bad for £360 altho u were ripped off imo. memory side and gfx wise
Yes yes I mean GB in all terms (except for memory)

I don't feel ripped off over the gfx, it's a server, not a multimedia machine.

see above for the memory
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 18:17   #22
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Re: Re: Re: [Brag] I'd like you to meet my new computer

Quote:
I think you mean gb, unless you're being retro.
or the
'economy' option
heh.
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 18:27   #23
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
146gb of SCSI u320 storage.

Have a look and see how much any u320 73gb drive costs

The ram is not important, i'm stripping the machine anyway. Besides I can get 256mb for $60.

bleh!
Why buy SCSI when you could buy IDE for half the price
???????????

If you wanna explain why this was worth more than £300 or so you'll have to do some convincing.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 18:32   #24
Vanilla

Re: Re: Re: Re: [Brag] I'd like you to meet my new computer

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Why buy SCSI when you could buy IDE for half the price
???????????

If you wanna explain why this was worth more than £300 or so you'll have to do some convincing.
Here's what I intend on doing.

Stripping it.

Take on HD for my own machine. It'smuch faster than my existing scsi set up.

Then sell the other SCSI hard drive on ebay or something. Going rate for one of these hard drives is $300. That's half my money back.

Then I can do whatever I want with the rest, seti cruncher, file server.

IDE to me is for nothing but storage. I like SCSI as my main drive. I ued to think scsi was for fools, then i got one and it blew me away.
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 18:47   #25
Karmulian

Quote:

Code:
2.0 Xeon Processor
Cool server case
on-board giganic
450W PSU
on-board 8mb gfx
48x cdrom
floppy
mouse 
keyboard

Bargain!

[/brag]

Dell Dual P4 2.4Ghz.
3x 80Gb Raid Array
120GB SCSI
12.5GB EIDE IBM Fast Drive
1.2GB DDR 2300 RAM
52X CDRW
LX700 Logitech cordless optical mouse
Logitech cordless keyboard

For free
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 18:57   #26
Vanilla

B'stard!

how did you wangle that one?
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 18:58   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I got this pc for free too.

Well, it was from the Student Loan. That's not 'real' money.
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 18:58   #28
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Karmulian
Dell Dual P4 2.4Ghz.
3x 80Gb Raid Array
120GB SCSI
1.2GB DDR 2300 RAM
52X CDRW

For free
Cool

1.2 GB of DDR 2300 though

they could of went for the full 2 GB considering, it will improve performance dramatically....all this depends on the mobo and your free DDR Slots

oh, and you need a DVD Writer d00d
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 19:06   #29
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Karmulian
Dell Dual P4 2.4Ghz.
3x 80Gb Raid Array
120GB SCSI
1.2GB DDR 2300 RAM
52X CDRW

For free
seriously, how?
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 19:14   #30
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST is on a distinguished road
Athlon 1800+
256 Mb DDR
60gb 7200rpm hd
9gb 5400rpm hd
Ati Radeon 7000 64mb
17 inch screen
dvd
cd-r
nice blue case
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 19:17   #31
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Well if you're rich...
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 20:49   #32
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Well if you're poor ...
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 20:53   #33
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
My dick's this big:

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 20:54   #34
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally posted by WST
seriously, how?
if he told you that, he'd have to kill you.
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 20:55   #35
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by KaneED
My dick's this big:

|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
On what resolution?
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 20:56   #36
Vanilla

Quote:
On what resolution?
40x20
Unread 23 Feb 2003, 20:57   #37
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
1280x1024
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 05:03   #38
Stealpit

Quote:

Code:
2.0 Xeon Processor
Cool server case
on-board giganic
450W PSU
on-board 8mb gfx
48x cdrom
floppy
mouse 
keyboard

Bargain!

[/brag]
i want one!
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 08:59   #39
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Makain is an unknown quantity at this point
Dell?
Pentium 4?
128mb?

What are you going to use it for, storing songs?

Get an Xserve with MacOS X. Least then you get the quality of unix with a 64-bit processor. My god, even AMD and IBM makes 64-bit chips. No one uses Intel's P4, for the pure reason its technology is so out of date. 2Ghz with 32-bit processing sure. About 700mhz if they upgraded the same technology to 64-bit.

Funny how they twist numbers around so, to make it look like it has speed.
Makain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 09:02   #40
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Makain
Get an Xserve with MacOS X. Least then you get the quality of unix with a 64-bit processor. My god, even AMD and IBM makes 64-bit chips. No one uses Intel's P4, for the pure reason its technology is so out of date. 2Ghz with 32-bit processing sure. About 700mhz if they upgraded the same technology to 64-bit.
Well, I know someone with MacOS X and it's as unstable as a not very stable thing.

Also, bear in mind that you could probably run any given top end program (read: game) on a Duron with a GeForce3.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 15:06   #41
Vanilla

Quote:
Dell?
Pentium 4?
128mb?

What are you going to use it for, storing songs?

Funny how they twist numbers around so, to make it look like it has speed.
Like I said, i'm going to strip it.

and many many people and companies use P4's (both xeon and northwood) for the simple fact that they're more stable than anything AMD and cheaper than IBM mass scale chips. Most importantly they get the job done.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 18:13   #42
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Quote:
Well, I know someone with MacOS X and it's as unstable as a not very stable thing.
Way to explain it in very technical terms. So are you now contending DOS-based servers are better then Unix-based servers? Mac OS X is a very solid and clean cut operating system, based on a 64-bit format. Windows XP, Windows ME, and Windows 2000 (WARNING: DO NOT USE 2000 FOR SEVERS) all are using 32-bit formats making them not ideal for those who wish to crunch a lot of data in their servers (trying running 5 simultaneous Spearhead games on XP).
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 18:14   #43
Christian
Attitude

Christian is infamous around these parts
Ah ****.
Todd: Truth is like a blanket that always leaves your feet cold. You push it, stretch it, it'll never be enough. Kick at it, beat it, it'll never cover any of us. From the moment we enter crying, to the moment we leave dying, it'll just cover your face as you wail and cry and scream.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 18:27   #44
G_frog
Look over there!

G_frog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
So are you now contending DOS-based servers are better then Unix-based servers? Mac OS X is a very solid and clean cut operating system, based on a 64-bit format. Windows XP, Windows ME, and Windows 2000 (WARNING: DO NOT USE 2000 FOR SEVERS) all are using 32-bit formats making them not ideal for those who wish to crunch a lot of data in their servers (trying running 5 simultaneous Spearhead games on XP).
No one is contending DOS-based servers are better than UNIX-based servers, just that OS X is unstable. why not just buy 5 XP systems instead of one Mac, and run one spearhead game on each ?

having said that, I haven't handled any complex electronic device for any significant length of time in the last five years without it crashing, including mobile phones and graphics calculators.

So far my valve-based amplifier seems immune, fingers crossed.
Unread 25 Feb 2003, 00:03   #45
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Quote:
Originally posted by G_frog
No one is contending DOS-based servers are better than UNIX-based servers, just that OS X is unstable. why not just buy 5 XP systems instead of one Mac, and run one spearhead game on each ?

having said that, I haven't handled any complex electronic device for any significant length of time in the last five years without it crashing, including mobile phones and graphics calculators.

So far my valve-based amplifier seems immune, fingers crossed.
First of all MacOS X is based on Unix and is a lot more stable then XP. It will save and shutdown a program before it crashes the entire OS even in the rate instance there is a preferences conflict. Macintosh has had a line of very stable computers in the past in comparison to Windows, but now they also have a good operating system to go with it.

That said, you wouldn't want to buy 5 XP servers and run 5 MOHAA's on them because then you pay for liscening fees for 5 seperate machines. You don't pay liscensing fees on Macintosh Severs at all. Which is a very convincing reason to get Xserve.
Unread 25 Feb 2003, 00:08   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
First of all MacOS X is based on Unix and is a lot more stable then XP. It will save and shutdown a program before it crashes the entire OS even in the rate instance there is a preferences conflict. Macintosh has had a line of very stable computers in the past in comparison to Windows, but now they also have a good operating system to go with it.
Don't forget that XP isn't DOS based.
Unread 25 Feb 2003, 18:27   #47
Vanilla

hey duders I found out i can only put the folowing OS's on the machine

MS Windows 2000 Server with 5 Client Licenses, 4GB Partition
MS SBS 2000 With 5 Client Licenses [add $1,299.00] Dell
NetWare 6 with 5 Client Licenses [add $995.00]
NetWare 6 Upgrade, NFI [add $595.00]
Red Hat Linux 8.0 Professional, Factory Installed, With Documentation and M

but i reckon i can get win2k advanced to work JUST FINE.

ta
ta