User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Feb 2005, 00:25   #1
Robgreen19

Robgreen19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Suggestion for round 14

what about (if it is possible) for round 14 to be back to basics
ie back to the earlyer days of planetarion with one race same ships etc
it could be just like the old rounds before races with no tactical advantages anywhere
it could mirror the 2nd 3rd 4th rounds perhaps
Robgreen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 00:27   #2
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold
Re: Suggestion for round 14

I think this is the wrong place for this kind of post - try Planetarion Suggestions - and I think you'll find that suggestion has been made 100 times before...
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 00:39   #3
Filth
Filtheh

Filth is a jewel in the roughFilth is a jewel in the roughFilth is a jewel in the roughFilth is a jewel in the rough

i dont think it would be suitable for a whole round to be played in that way, maybe a speedgame or something, for the fun
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 01:03   #4
Robgreen19

Robgreen19 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah not bad idea could it be run seperate to round 14
like a minigame to play between ticks of full game
Robgreen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 01:06   #5
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Does PA really want to go back it terms of development?
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 01:47   #6
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of

i love people who have havoc and speedgame ranks in their sigs.
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 02:02   #7
Waku
a simple pe0n

Waku has a little shameless behaviour in the past

and I love whiners about the "Good old days"

#newdawn

Don't Trust Anyone

Proud to have served with the guys of 2:10 in PaX

We are the Elysium Support Center
Waku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 02:57   #8
ronnie
Kralizec

ronnie will become famous soon enoughronnie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waku
and I love whiners about the "Good old days"

your not being sarcastic are you Waku, i cant tell

<Killmark> you do know what race i am right?
<Ronnie> is 'gay boy' a race ?
<Killmark> ronnie
<Killmark> stfu
ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 03:12   #9
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie
your not being sarcastic are you Waku, i cant tell
i suggest a :sarcasm: feature on PA forums where when you type :sarcasm:, a big red boxing glove pops out of your computer screen and clocks you square in your goddamn nose, and stars start spitting out of your speakers and with a mickey mouse voice that will say "~~~if you can't tell sarcasm, you should be shot in the head~~~"

ofcourse these suggestions aren't going anywhere because they're on the wrong forums

i do suggest anna kournikova, naked and with her tennis racket

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 10:33   #10
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Pah leave the old days alone
I been there done that and liked the unmarked memorys.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 12:58   #11
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robgreen19
what about (if it is possible) for round 14 to be back to basics
ie back to the earlyer days of planetarion with one race same ships etc
it could be just like the old rounds before races with no tactical advantages anywhere
it could mirror the 2nd 3rd 4th rounds perhaps
Can't do it, we dont have the code. For this to happen it would have to be recoded from scratch.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 14:27   #12
Blixxard
Currently Unavailable

Blixxard is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
Does PA really want to go back it terms of development?
I don't think that is our aim.

It would perhaps be nice to go back, but it would not be the same. There are no plans for this suggestion.
Blixxard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 15:59   #13
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

aNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet society

here's an idea, let's play round 13 first, otherwise we're sorta putting the cart in front of the horse
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 16:14   #14
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNgRyDuCk
here's an idea, let's play round 13 first, otherwise we're sorta putting the cart in front of the horse
hell yea

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 18:01   #15
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
Can't do it, we dont have the code. For this to happen it would have to be recoded from scratch.
I hope that is just your personal opinion - because a "it would have to be recoded from scratch" admission is one of the worst statements you can do about the current codebase regarding modularity and flexibility.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 18:04   #16
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

round 10 was a complete recode for a completely different type of database with a lot of the parts being in a different language from previous setup. Hence there is no chance of using old code.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 18:07   #17
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramihyn
I hope that is just your personal opinion - because a "it would have to be recoded from scratch" admission is one of the worst statements you can do about the current codebase regarding modularity and flexibility.
Omg ur right.. The code sucks omfg :eek: !!!!!1111oneoneoneone
It doesnt even have quatum paronostix init..!! LINUX!!!

who cares..
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 18:09   #18
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNgRyDuCk
Now would be fine as R13 code seems to be basically "fixed" now (at least thats the impression i got from #planetarion lately). You could possibly argue that "now" is already a bit late since the discussion about changes may need quite some time of finetuning but all the future planning seems to be a bit foggy to us peons due to Spinners illness now ...
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 18:15   #19
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

expect round 14 to be relativly minor changes and for there not to be a giant gap between round 13 and 14

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 23 Feb 2005, 18:15   #20
Ramihyn
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
round 10 was a complete recode for a completely different type of database with a lot of the parts being in a different language from previous setup. Hence there is no chance of using old code.
If that was in reply to my remark about flexibility and modularity of the current codebase, i dont know how your reply is supposed to be related to my remark?

I wasnt talking about using old code as i know the "we dont have old sources anymore" discussion all too well
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 18:25   #21
Ramihyn
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio
Omg ur right.. The code sucks omfg :eek: !!!!!1111oneoneoneone
It doesnt even have quatum paronostix init..!! LINUX!!!

who cares..
I do - and everybody who realises that having a clean modular and flexible codebase means that you can actually create derived versions with old rules/interface or special versions or the next round version much easier without having to re-invest the 60-75% core work over and over again. That means nearly everybody should care - from the developer(s) who waste less lifetime and can focus on actual progress, the owners who see more/quicker changes and the players who instead of getting told "no can do - it would need a recode from scratch" actually have a chance of getting their long requested "old school pa" round in between.

I know its not as easy as it seems and nobody of us lives in a perfect world but i would say that the "recode from scratch" approach has in the past clearly shown how much of a time and effort waster it is...

oh and even you cared enough to "reply"
Unread 23 Feb 2005, 23:38   #22
exblade
that one dude

exblade has a spectacular aura aboutexblade has a spectacular aura aboutexblade has a spectacular aura about

dude - 13 beta isnt even up yet
ROCK - DC [ROCK]
The Galactic Vikings - DC [TGV]
Vengeance - DC [VGN]
CareBears - DC [CB]

Rounds 9.5,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,19,26,27,28,38
exblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2005, 09:22   #23
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

If you want a game with stats from r4/5 PA gimme a pm either on here or IRC + il b more than happy to giv u quite a few URL's with 30s ticks, 30m ticks + 1hr ticks.

/ReligFree
ReligFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2005, 10:02   #24
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by exblade
dude - 13 beta isnt even up yet

well actually the first private beta is today

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 24 Feb 2005, 11:22   #25
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

I know everyone lets uninvent the wheel.

In my opinion the races are what makes this game good now. People to go on about how good it was before but now their is a lot more to it rather than who is the most active. Before with only one race tactics bairly came into it. All it would mean is that anyone with half a brain can do very very well (As long as he has the alliance support needed ofc).

What we should be hinking about for round 14 is how to improve on the current set up and not going back to the days of yor
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2005, 13:27   #26
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligFree
If you want a game with stats from r4/5 PA gimme a pm either on here or IRC + il b more than happy to giv u quite a few URL's with 30s ticks, 30m ticks + 1hr ticks.

/ReligFree
1 post and advertising bog of to general disccusions

Unread 24 Feb 2005, 14:40   #27
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Good idea
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 02:11   #28
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
well actually the first private beta is today

And who was invited to play the private beta? And how were they chosen?
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 02:53   #29
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

4 from each alliance who has its representitives in a reps channel
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 09:26   #30
noah02
The Original Terran

damn I should have made my own alliance

Unread 25 Feb 2005, 13:53   #31
The Master

I think it would be a good idea to improve the user interfaces to do with alliances, such as making it easier to merge alliances and communicate between all alliances ingame. It would be a better game if all the little guys could join together to make a more recogniseable alliance... and that would probably help get new people to the game more involved too. Provide links to download irc clients and help guides, and perhaps even a simplistic forum ingame for alliance recruitment and diplomacy.

Just thoughts
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 14:09   #32
noah02
The Original Terran

HMMM Phil^ can you not close this thread now as its going completly of topic should be in suggestions and think the question was answered reference going back to the darkages.

Unread 25 Feb 2005, 14:35   #33
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
HMMM Phil^ can you not close this thread now as its going completly of topic should be in suggestions and think the question was answered reference going back to the darkages.
I didnt move the thread for 2 reasons:
  • It wasnt really a suggestions thread to start with. More just someone having the same old 'i want the old days back' argument.
  • PD is dead at the mo and i wanted something to read on here .
Unread 25 Feb 2005, 15:14   #34
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I didnt move the thread for 2 reasons:
  • It wasnt really a suggestions thread to start with. More just someone having the same old 'i want the old days back' argument.
  • PD is dead at the mo and i wanted something to read on here .
Fair one

Unread 25 Feb 2005, 18:48   #35
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
4 from each alliance who has its representitives in a reps channel
reps channel? and who from sin? i wanna bug em...
Unread 2 Mar 2005, 09:16   #36
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
reps channel? and who from sin? i wanna bug em...
not me guv