User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 5 Mar 2005, 18:01   #1
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of
Alienwares, worth the cost?

Just been messing around with a couple of different custom PC builders and on average alienware works out as being around about £500-600 more than an equivalent machine (Including a labour charge +On-site parts/labour warranty if I'm feeling lazy), so I was wondering if alienware machines were worth the large additional cost?

Anyone have any experience using them, are they as speedy and stable as they are made out to be?

Base specs:
AMD 64 3500 on an nforce4 mobo with 1gb ram + 80gb HD
17 inch TFT
Nvidia 6600GT
DVD/Cd-rw combo
Win XP home

Assorted other doohickeys

Low cost £1400

Alienware £1950+
Unread 5 Mar 2005, 18:04   #2
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Alienwares, worth the cost?

Superbly stable, had mine for 2 years , only issue i had with it was when the powerpack died. They picked it up, returned it (eventually) in pristine condition, and its never caused me a hint of a problem.

Get the most up to date Graphics Card though. I got a Radeon9800 when i bought this and it was superb at the time, but now almost feels a little dated.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2005, 18:10   #3
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Ninja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud ofNinja_spammer has much to be proud of

The only warranty I saw offered on the AW was a crappy tech support phone line.

I doubt a 6600gt is going to be old hat any time soon, im not a leet game wanker, dont need bleeding edge gizmos
Unread 5 Mar 2005, 18:12   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

no, alienware is a rip off, if you don't know how to make your own, you gotta learn.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2005, 18:12   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There is really no need to buy an AW PC. Laptop, maybe, outside chance.

Tower? No.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2005, 18:14   #6
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

I can build my own, I just dont want to, the cost of getting things delivered here or buying local pretty much negates the advantage of self building.

Plus i'm lazy
Unread 5 Mar 2005, 18:15   #7
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

can't comment directly on AW (sorry heh) but i and my friends have used mesh and ive never had or heard of any problems with them.
Unread 5 Mar 2005, 18:17   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm really not sure how you get £1400. I'm having trouble getting that specification over £1200 (including P&P, obviously). And that's with "conecessions" like making the 80Gb drive a 74Gb WD Raptor.
Unread 5 Mar 2005, 18:19   #9
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_spammer
The only warranty I saw offered on the AW was a crappy tech support phone line.

I doubt a 6600gt is going to be old hat any time soon, im not a leet game wanker, dont need bleeding edge gizmos
EQ2 nuff said
Unread 5 Mar 2005, 18:23   #10
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Linky please.

doohickeys like 7.1 speakers wireles mouse/kb and shit.

They push the price up

EQ2?
Unread 5 Mar 2005, 18:28   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-046-MS)
£97.5

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-015-WD)
£104.95

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 Plus NCQ 300GB ST3300831AS SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-021-SE)
£114.95

AMD Athlon 64 3800 Newcastle 130nm (Socket 939) - Retail (CP-088-AM)
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (CP-101-AM)
£254.95
or
£167.50

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
£76.95

Zalman CNPS7700-CU Ultra-Quiet CPU Cooler - Retail (HS-010-ZA)
£29.50

Creative Inspire 5.1 P580 Speakers - Retail (SP-021-CL)
£36.80

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop v2.0
£24.95

Asus Extreme N6600GT GeForce PCX6600 GT 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-055-AS)
£126.95

Crucial 1GB DDR PC3200 CAS3.0 Dual Channel Kit (2x512MB) (MY-037-CR)
£79.95

Akasa Ultra Quiet 400W Paxpower Active PFC ATX2.0 PSU - Black Nickel (CA-012-AK)
£39.95

Hyundai ImageQuest L70S+ 17" LCD Monitor - Black/Silver (MO-018-HY)
£166.50

Coolermaster Centurion 5 - Black/Blue (No PSU) (CA-076-CM)
£33.10

Not including VAT.

£1400 with an extra 300Gb and 200MHz. Subtract those and it's back down to my estimate of under £1200. And that's from overclockers, who aren't necessarily the cheapest.

[edit]

Whoops, forgot the DVD-RW Drive. Add £40.

[edit2]

LiteOn SOHW-1673S Dual Layer 16x16 DVD±RW ReWriter - OEM (CD-040-LO)

£40.30 (inc VAT)

Ignoring the core of the PC (mobo/processor/HDD/gfx) these are all component's I've found to be good, and for the core I went by other peoples benchmarks.
Unread 5 Mar 2005, 21:02   #12
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all

I've just built the following system for just over £2000:

AMD FX55
MSI K8N Diamond
Two GeForce 6 6800 Ultras (SLI)
Two 512MB Corsair 3200XL Pro 2-2-2-5
Two 74GB WD Raptors
Enermax Noisetaker 600W PSU

I'm using my existing monitor, DVD Drive, KB, Mouse, Speakers, Case and copy of Win XP Pro which keeps the price down a little. That is about as top spec a system as you can get right now and not for much that more than the £1950 Alienware wants for that very mid-range system you described.

Buy the bits yourself and you'll save a lot of money, or if you were prepared to pay the £1950 Alienware wanted you could build a far better system yourself for that amount.

As for alienware experience, my brother bought a laptop from them a few months ago. It's very well designed and he's never had any problems with it. It's obvious that a lot of care and attention goes into their systems, but you really do pay through the nose for it and it's not like you can't put care and attention into a system which you build yourself.

Kick the Baby! - did we rock your world?
Emperor Rozenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Mar 2005, 22:21   #13
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
EQ2?
EverQuest 2.

Graphics are like off the scale.

Sony thinks retail graphics hardware will catch up by 2006...
Unread 6 Mar 2005, 01:50   #14
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Heh, I can safely say that I wont be playing Everquest....ever :-)

I saw some screenshots in a magazine and I didnt think it looked that amazing maybe they were toned down.

Basically Im not prepared to pay £2k for a system that isnt going to set my hair on fire with sheer uberleetness unless its the worlds most stable and indestructible pc , hand carved from mahogany by blind tibetan monks, so far alienware doesnt sound like that (except for their laptops) .

Oh well It'll be a couple months before I can buy this anyways by which time Intel and AMD will probably have upped the ante by something ridiculous again
Unread 6 Mar 2005, 01:51   #15
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've seen of the AW systems they are very high quality machines. They even go as far as to tweak all the settings on each of the components to get as best possible performance out of the machine depending on your intended usage.

It's true you could build your own system for less and configure it all yourself, but if your looking for a good system that just works out of the box with bleeding edge performance they are a good buy.
Unread 6 Mar 2005, 02:12   #16
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

this is going to sound n00bish, but i'm looking to get a new PC at about the specs NS said at the start and would like to know if it would be cheaper to buy everything separtly and build it myself, or buy one ready made? I'd be needing a new case but not monitor, mouse, keyboard or anything like that

thanks
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2005, 03:35   #17
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

JamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrasyn
EverQuest 2.

Graphics are like off the scale.

Sony thinks retail graphics hardware will catch up by 2006...
Mmm tis very pretty, not that I'm likely to play it mind..
heh anyway

Edit: Oh, and alienwares whole site is basically a "Why building a PC yourself is silly, buy from us!" discussion
JamMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2005, 04:30   #18
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

I have just found this on OcUK

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-046-MS) £97.50

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus 200GB ST3200822AS SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-016-SE) £66.50

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (CP-097-AM) £119.50

OcUK Value 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 184pin DDR Memory Dual Channel Kit (MY-004-OK) £64.95

XFX GeForce PCX6600 GT Extreme Gamers Edition 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (PVT43GNDF7) (GX-023-XF) £116.95

HP dvd640i Dual Layer 16x LightScribe DVD±RW ReWriter - Retail (CD-000-HP) £59.95

AOpen H600B Super Tower 300W 24-Pin PSU (CA-004-AO) £54.95

Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit 7.1 PCI Sound Card - Retail (SC-029-CL) £24.30

Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop v2.0 - OEM (KB-018-MS) £21.95

Belkin F5D7000UK 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter (NW-007-BE) £18.55

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition - OEM (OS-001-MS) £47.50

Subtotal £692.60
VAT £121.21
Total £813.81
not bad no?
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2005, 04:33   #19
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Why pay for XP and why the soundcard? Isnt there a 7.1 intergrated on the mainboard?
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2005, 04:38   #20
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Now, what the F*** is alienware?

P.S I retired from geekhood years ago, so exuse my "ignorence".
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2005, 04:52   #21
Ninja_spammer
Freedom Fanatic

Um, cos I dont have XP and I dont use warez........often.

I want high quality sound with room shaking effects plus this PC will probably become the main entertainment unit for the front room thus I want 7.1.

Alienware are a company who specialise in making high performance PC's mainly aimed at gamers, they custom tweak drivers and performance specs to put a little extra oomph in.

Oh and their cases tend to look stylish and sexy.
Unread 6 Mar 2005, 12:13   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

He wasn't talking to you when he was talking about the soundcard.

As to DemonDave:

What is the point of buying Value RAM, when you're buying otherwise supposedly high performance components across the board?

Quote:
Oh well It'll be a couple months before I can buy this anyways by which time Intel and AMD will probably have upped the ante by something ridiculous again
Intel? Upping the ante? Don't make me laugh.

Intel haven't made a good home desktop chip in years.