User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 8 May 2007, 23:03   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
drupal

does anyone have any experience with it?
I just started looking into it and it seems to be pretty nice for a CMS.
Unread 9 May 2007, 08:57   #2
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Re: drupal

I only used it briefly when I was fishing around for different CMS systems, but the brief time I spent with it it seemed pleasant enough to use.

The two I learnt not to touch with a 10 foot broomstick were p.hpNuke & DotNetNuke, both are horrible to configure and equally horrible to use.

In the end I wanted something that would integrate with phpBB without modifying any of its existing code or DB structure so I chose mxBB as my CMS.
Unread 30 May 2007, 15:28   #3
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Drupal is pretty damn good. I use it extensively.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2007, 15:39   #4
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Some of the people we run battlefield.no with run it on their site.
http://www.multigamer.no

Works pritty well

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2007, 17:11   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I installed Joomla some time ago. Though I have done little else with it, it seems nice.
Unread 31 May 2007, 13:11   #6
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just starting with Drupal to develop a portal for our volleybal club. We currently have a Joomla portal but i'm getting tired of the extremely poor access control it has. Not to mention that quite a few of the functions we (eventually) want to build in require hacks into the core of Joomla, making it a mess to keep updated. Its however easy to configure if you only plan on using it as some type of blog/news site.

Drupal seems to be alot more friendly when it comes to adding custom functionality to it and the access control is far better. I still don't get why we missed it on our first search for a decent CMS, would have saved us alot of extra work .
Unread 31 May 2007, 14:21   #7
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at so many portals that I couldn't remember exactly why I didn't go with Drupal so I had another look.

It seems more focused on being a blogg engine which is not what I wanted and didn't have native support for any of the better known forum software. Other than that it looks quite awesome.
Unread 17 Jun 2007, 21:42   #8
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

We are using it for a portal that collects data from solar panels (i hope thats the right word) and presenting that data on a website. Not exactly what the drupal developers had in mind for it, I imagine, but the boss found it, he likes it, so we are using it ...
At first i was pretty much impressed by the whole system. Then, after a few days after looking into it and the HORRIBLE things my predecessor 'coded' i got annoyed by the whole overhead and thought the whole project would die within a week. These solar panels send quite a bit of data and with all that data represented as nodes we had about 2,000,000 nodes after only a few month, most of them being utterly useless (Apparently my predecessor had no idea what he was doing). That slowed down Drupal, and, more importantly, crashed the soap-server, which collects the data the panels send and stores it using drupal-functions.
Now after looking into how to write modules and reading a little in this excellent book I think we can save the project and get a nice, modular and reusable piece of software. I'm impressed again \o/