User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Unread 23 Aug 2003, 15:36   #1
Rabbagast
Yesterday don't mean sh**

Rabbagast will become famous soon enoughRabbagast will become famous soon enough
When in Rome..

Anyone familiar with this famous quotation ? :

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

What do you think this means ?
or more specificly how do you understand this ?

For those of you with a special interest in this, please look at the quotations below :

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
When in Rome, do as you would at home

My reason for this was originally an Export Project I was working on.
I figured it could be quite interesting to look at it in a Planetarion-Community perspective aswell, and (perhaps) how people adjust to their alliances, allies/enemies, clusters/paras etc

I'll start the thread without my pre-stated view on this, avoiding my own opinions to influence people in any specific direction..
before you guys have had a chance to state your objective(?) and personal views on it first.

Nothing can be really wrong, but try to keep it relavent

Let's have some fun with it

..and maybe we can find some groundbreaking facts to add to HobbieRogue4's thread about "..loyalty factor"
Round 2: 50:12 'MoA' Emperor Rabbagast of Milagro - [TE]
Round 3: 19:6:25 Emperor Rabbagast of Milagro - [TE]-FC, [Ooooomph!], [YHQ], [TRG], [ViruS]-DC, [c19a]
Round 4: 7:17:6 Fields of -=Disbelief=-, -= Salvage Garden =- - [ViruS]-HC, [TZ]
Round 5: 29:11:14 IceBucket of .-= Corona =-., .-= The BeerG0ds =-. - [ViruS] Executive, [WPO]-BC
Round 6: 25:16:1 Hugh M Hefner of -= The Playboy Mansion =-, -= The BeerG0ds =- WolfPack HC
Rabbagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 15:48   #2
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about
"When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

This quote is usually used to tell someone to behave in an appropriate way whilst he visits another culture or community in a broader sense.
So somsone who is visiting another place should tolerate their rules and their habits to melt into this new community and to prevent any missunderstandings (especially americans have the special ability to violate this alot )

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
When in Rome, do as you would at home"

I would say it means the same but adds the spirit of behaving like foreign property would belong to you (in a positive sense).
So you treat other ppls goods and properties with the same respect like you would treat your own stuff and maybe even treat other ppl like they would belong to your family.

To transfer this onto pa i would say if you join a new alliance you will have to accept their rules and procedures and need to behave correctly to grow yourself into this new surrounding. A good example would be the first alliance i joined recommended the use of irc regularly while before i only used icq. To find a place in this community i had to adopt useing IRC. i.e. doing like the romans do.
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 15:50   #3
masterjw
Commander

masterjw is an unknown quantity at this point
if i would act in a c/p channel like i would at home i would get kicked out of all of them :>
masterjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 15:52   #4
eXcessum

eXcessum is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmmm

doesnt apply to PA at all. no-one bothers obeying to alliance rules/proceedures anymore. god knows i wouldn't / don't. I tend to do the opposite and go out of my way to be different and rebelious (yeh I know, I'm just like so cool!)

Then again i don't get anywhere in the (****) community but I have loadsa fun along the way.
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 15:54   #5
masterjw
Commander

masterjw is an unknown quantity at this point
excessum u r not loved!
masterjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 16:06   #6
Yama
Rockin' a beat.

Yama has a spectacular aura aboutYama has a spectacular aura about
What Focht said..

*bye now!*

Yama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 16:31   #7
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
i happen to be in Rome september 16-18.
and perhaps i will even do as the romans do. :eek:

people who want to join me pm me on IRC \0/
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 16:44   #8
Catwoman

Catwoman is a jewel in the roughCatwoman is a jewel in the roughCatwoman is a jewel in the rough
well in rome i hear they pinch alot of ass maybe alliances should start a new trend
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 16:56   #9
Queen DAX

Queen DAX is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Razorback
"When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

This quote is usually used to tell someone to behave in an appropriate way whilst he visits another culture or community in a broader sense.
So somsone who is visiting another place should tolerate their rules and their habits to melt into this new community and to prevent any missunderstandings (especially americans have the special ability to violate this alot )

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
When in Rome, do as you would at home"

I would say it means the same but adds the spirit of behaving like foreign property would belong to you (in a positive sense).
So you treat other ppls goods and properties with the same respect like you would treat your own stuff and maybe even treat other ppl like they would belong to your family.

To transfer this onto pa i would say if you join a new alliance you will have to accept their rules and procedures and need to behave correctly to grow yourself into this new surrounding. A good example would be the first alliance i joined recommended the use of irc regularly while before i only used icq. To find a place in this community i had to adopt useing IRC. i.e. doing like the romans do.

I think Focht sums it up pretty well here, How ever I would disagree on the part where Americans tend to violate this a lot (maybe a few cases but not as a whole) There is stupid people in all cultures and walks of life.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do." This is really a obvious statement it is a perverse way of them to get you all to wear togas and drink. Just watch out for the guys with the mirrors on the shoes rather Norty J.

<Degrees> roses are red violets are blue if you dont love me ill really spew <-- like that kr ?<KR|pennance> The time is right. Let's get to it. If we dont get hitched, to this relationship I'm gonna say screw it
Queen DAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 20:28   #10
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Fifth_teletubbie is an unknown quantity at this point
It was reportedly what a barbarian chief who was invited to visit Rome told his warrior bodyguard when they asked him how to behave when they got there.

Simply said, when you are in someone else's home (in the broadest sense), you follow their customs.

A very amusing example of how not to do this can be seen every year at postoffices all around France, where US tourists insist that the La Poste employee behind the counter speak english to them.

Ostraka: It's a Social Club with guns (and K-Y)
Fifth_teletubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 20:38   #11
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Well..somebody having trouble communicating with French does not by any means mean they are behaving badly in my experience.

During all my travels in Europe, I've never had trouble anywhere except France. Everywhere else, just learn a few phrases like 'hablo English?' etc, and they'll appriciate the effort and atleast try to communicate with you. In France they'll just get offended you mispronounced.

As many things the American can be condemned for; they most certainly can't be blamed for not getting it on with the French
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 21:07   #12
Heru
NoS High Command

Heru is an unknown quantity at this point
I interpret this to mean that when you visit a foreign culture, you leave your pride at home. For example, in America there have been numerous groups of immigrants who have entered this country, then expected us to accept their culture as a separate entity from our own. I guess I always assumed emmigrating to another country meant assimilating yourself into their culture? If not, then why did you leave in the first place? If you move to Rome, do as the Romans do. If you don't like how the Romans do things, then why did you go there? Go home.

-Heru
Heru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 21:36   #13
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
People, in general, imitate 'successful' ways of behaving. They imitate the people they admire, the people that they look up to. The same applies in PA, people often try to imitate other, more successful players.

If a person, or an alliance, develops a successful tactic or idea, it will be copied by others. That way, successful ways of playing the game will become more common (e.g. alliances using IRC). Unsuccessful ways of playing will become less common, because nobody will want to imitate them (e.g. building PDS ).

The best alliances are the ones that can retain their 'culture', but remain open to new ideas and ways of thinking.

To answer the original question, I think that "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" simply means that a person should try to be aware of the customs and culture of their environment. For example, the first time a new member of an alliance gets incoming, he might start spamming the alliance channel. An older member will then tell him that he should PM an officer with the details of his incoming if he wants it to be handled quickly. It's a bit embarassing for the new member, because he has shown himself to be new and unaware of how things are supposed to be done, but once he has learned the rules, he will be able to fit in properly with the alliance. If a person ignores these rules or customs, he will be seen as stupid, lazy or obnoxious, so it is best for the person to fit in with the way the community operates.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 21:55   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
"When in Rome...." could be considered from two different angles in Planetarion. On one hand you have the relatively harmless development of small customs and ways of organisation which naturally spread from the successful on down, sometimes in spite of the fact that there aren't necessarily any inherently useful qualities in these minor tactics. Equally there is also the possibility that "cheating" can spread due to this idea. A community where cheating is established as an acceptable method of behaviour, for whatever reasons, will doubtlessly convince any new members it gains of the validity of these methods.

As much as there is to be respected and learned from in other cultures, there can be found a certain degree of immorality (to the extent that that can be applied) resulting from the operation of closed communities.

PS People don't always admire what's best in life rob ;)
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 22:08   #15
cbk100

cbk100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by ComradeRob
If a person ignores these rules or customs, he will be seen as stupid, lazy or obnoxious
SUPERCATZZ???
cbk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 23:58   #16
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by cbk100
SUPERCATZZ???
His Shiftiness is a typical example of a person that does not 'fit' into a large alliance. Which is a great example of why they suck.

'When in Rome, do as the Romans', when applied to PA is an issue of efficiency. When in Fury, do as Fury rules dictate to keep the machine running smoothly. There are some behavioral patterns that don't just apply to pseudo-military organization: When in Legion (or Titans), be an arrogant prick to non-members to keep that 'us>you' illusion going. When in hirr, become a pr0n-slave.

But these are more often simply the 'culture' of these alliances. Mostly people will already have friends in an alliance they join (part of the benefit of the voucher system), and will already be acquinted with its culture (and will usually desire to be a part of it). So in my opinion, it's a non-issue in PA.

There are very few cases of actual 'culture-shock', ie situations where people are scorned for their inability to comply with social standards. Most often situations that lead to people not fitting in, are cases of 'drama' or personality clashes (or both).
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2003, 01:20   #17
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light
when abroad, try to follow the laws(written and un-written) of the land but don't apologise for who you are or where you're originally from. (my perception of the whole 2-liner)

and yes Jurgen, Finns rule
Unread 24 Aug 2003, 01:25   #18
Denniz
Angelus Mortis

Denniz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by KoeN
i happen to be in Rome september 16-18.
and perhaps i will even do as the romans do. :eek:

people who want to join me pm me on IRC \0/
So ur going to flirt with every female tourist around and try to sell stuff to the male tourist?

Cuz thats what the ppl there do
r5 - 15:24:8 - Angelus Mortis of Mortem Expetere LuX/Wolfpack
r6 - 27:20:6 - Ignotus Milites of Non Omnis Moriar Wolfpack
r7 - 8:13:8 - Periculum In Mora of Aurora Musis Amica Wolfpack / allianceless / SnugglehBunnies
r8 - 22:5:4 Est quaedam flere voluptas of Hinc illae lacrimae Adelante / Fury / SnugglehBunnies
wc 1 - xx:yy:zz - ^Nuda veritas of Mirabile dictu^
wc 2 - 3:13:9 - Nox of Omnis una manet nox
r9 - 37:2:8 Nomen est omen of Somnium verum evadit Eclipse / SnugglehBunnies
r9.5 23:2:1 Multos timere debet of quem multi timent Elysium / SnugglehBunnies
Denniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2003, 02:16   #19
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Jonny and Jester make excellent points, particularly in regard to "playing standards" (cheating, non-cheating) and "alliance culture" (behavioral patterns).

"When in Rome..."
Consider "when in winning alliance/block" behave as winners and cherish it, for there's no guarantee it will last (even the entire round).

Consider "when in non-winning alliance/block" behave as the underdog, yet fearless in your attempts to unseat those above you.

Consider "when in public" such as it is with the PA forums (particularly AD)...

"...behave as the Romans do."
...behave according to the current "tide" of the situation (thread, forum, alliance morale-building).

Additionally, behave as you "should" behave according to the alliance (or other entity) you represent.*

"When in Rome, do as you would at home."
This is most interesting when you consider how players forge their "characters" and "careers" in PA (namely alliance-related). In a PA alliance way, one cannot really behave the way they would at home, especially if they are a 'newcomer' to an alliance (you don't fart at your girlfriend's parent's dinner table, unlike your own).*

What tends to happen is that this changes once someone has found their niche in the game, and in particular, their "home" in an alliance (or being allianceless).

Additionally, it comes together best when several persons form a "home" (alliance, BG, cooperative entity) that serves their every purpose, especially when "home" and "Rome" become one.**

*To a point (when personal and alliance issues conflict).

**Victurus te Saluto!
Unread 24 Aug 2003, 06:12   #20
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Denniz
So ur going to flirt with every female tourist around and try to sell stuff to the male tourist?

Cuz thats what the ppl there do
no be the tourist myself :P
and i know a nice girl in 'ciampino', little town in the south of rome..will call her i think
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2003, 16:05   #21
Queen DAX

Queen DAX is an unknown quantity at this point
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition. 2002.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do

When visiting a foreign land, follow the customs of those who live in it. It can also mean that when you are in an unfamiliar situation, you should follow the lead of those who know the ropes

==============================================

This is applied every day when people join alliances, especially when people want to gain a certain status within.
This is applied every time you join a battle group, or even in a real life group when making friends, people even un-knowing submit to this when they buy fashionable clothes because they are trendy. Become Goth , because there friends do it . and even worst, when they Cheat in a web based because "others do it "
<Degrees> roses are red violets are blue if you dont love me ill really spew <-- like that kr ?<KR|pennance> The time is right. Let's get to it. If we dont get hitched, to this relationship I'm gonna say screw it
Queen DAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2003, 16:20   #22
WebAngel
Honour & Loyalty

WebAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by cyphie
french people suck:/
erm Rome is in Italy but nm... (It has been french for a while tho...)
Unread 25 Aug 2003, 01:49   #23
N0VA
Your Nemesis and Beerg0d

N0VA is an unknown quantity at this point
I've always heard this quotation used to justify more ... hedonistic behavior. One element of Roman culture, well of the upper class at least, was orgies and large scale feasts almost on a bulimic (sp?) level. Thus the context for this quote would be a "well refined" individual finding themselves in the middle of a bath house or some other location where loose sexual practices would be going on, and then shrug their shoulders and say "when in Rome ... "

I then see this application of the quote applying to players trying to achieve the top scores ... either as justification for breaking the rules of the game: Why did you multi/farm? "When in Rome ...", or as justification to play selfishly overall: "Why don't you leave slots open for defense?" "When in Rome ..."

<Peacemaker1> you are projecting images that happen real. like if you were to get shot in a dream, you would wake up with a bullet hole through you
<Nova> that would suck
<RIT> yeh but It would rawk if you dreamt about lesbian orgies
<Peacemaker1> waking up in a pool of lubercant, and with dildo bruses all over. sure would
N0VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2003, 02:49   #24
reznor
DropDead

reznor is an unknown quantity at this point
Flexibility...adaptation...behave....and in general just get a positive attitude only when you get out of your cave...you're just a visitor...act as a visitor..

Unfortunately, some people can't hide their real skins in whatever, whereever they are...just to win...maybe a walks of life...
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 19:59   #25
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of
Rabbagast, you have way too much time on your hands....

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Aug 2003, 14:50   #26
Terminator2003

Terminator2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
No Rabbagast, all that Roman stuff tells me nothing.

But cheating HC's giving it a shot on AD always amused me
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 14:18   #27
findon

When in rome, invade the stupid drunk bastards!

Drinking myself through PaX
[BeerGods]
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 21:27   #28
Pulsar
Very tired of this o_O

Pulsar is an unknown quantity at this point
It just means u should act like the locals are used to act.

This, however, to a degree where it cannot be viewed as an insult.

And in PA it probably means u gotta abide by the rules of HC, but who in this age and day gives a damn bout that?
it's really not so bad you know once you get past the taste

Nine Inch Nails - Starf*ckers Inc.
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
Pulsar, you are now my official Hero of the Day
Pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote