User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 21 Jul 2014, 22:53   #1
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of
Gov/Race Startup Changes

I want to start a sensible debate on how we can change the current race startup stats and governments to change the game to make race choice more important to style of play rather than just dependant on ship stats and wether you are a scanner.

Personally i find the races very generic now in PA. I feel no affiliation to any of the races, i know i have a fondness for lore and backstory but i feel a more simplified structure of reason to play a certain race would benefit PA and maybe open the game up a bit to new players (lol)

I would like to see that each race is very weighted in one direction from the start with heavier detriments to other areas. Wether this could be entwined with Population is something discuss but for a basic example having Terran very weighted to constructions but with maybe a population cap of 35% on research and 20% on mining with construction cap of 50%.

Race Characteristics:
Max Stealth: 65
Stealth Growth/Tick: 6
Base Construction Units: 140
Base Research Points: 85
Production bonus: 15%
Universe Trade Tax: 20%

I feel even this basic change would turn Terran into a race that is good for the 'slow burner' player, who likes to build value, maybe a fort player. But the research and mining pop reduction would keep their value growth in check compared to the rest of the universe so everyone is still equal.

The other area is Government. Im not a fan of Anarchy in its current form, i dont think it serves any purpose expect to Research Rush and then swap to Corp. If anything it has taken away one of the strategic elements of the game which was Gov choice, now everyone is just a Demo/Corp drone and has kind of made Governments redundant as an area to get an advantage on someone else.

My main proposed changes would be the removal or atleast reduction of Corps mining bonus. 24% is vastly excessive in a game where income means a hell of a lot to rank over 7 weeks. The other change would be the removal of the 168 tick limit on starting a government, i believe their should be no limit as being without a Gov can have benefits in the early round compared to picking one and i would like to see people maybe using this to strategise against others.

Finally i would like to see Anarchy not be allowed until tick 336. And i would like to see it have a bigger cooldown than 72 hrs. Maybe 96 or 120. It needs to be a risky move, not a prerequisite upon deciding your government for the round.

Anyway let me know your thoughts, i would like PA to have more areas of diversity and maybe take away some of the responsibility of politics and ship stats to solely decide the round. Give power back to the players to choose what is best for them and to have alliances start tailoring their stargety to allow all their members to contribute rather than a generic 2 race 'DO IT' mentality would enrich peoples interest in the game i feel.
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2014, 00:01   #2
Tiamat101

Tiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Gov/Race Startup Changes

I like the idea that each race would have different population settings. Seeing as most people set them the same way every round. first 200ish ticks 25mining 50 research 25 cons. Then after finished tt/hulls/hct/core switch to 25/40/35.

I think it would yield a much great diversity as well as make people really think if they want to play a specific race.

As for the goverments I also agree. I've been asking for a change in the governments for several rounds now. This change just allows people as you said demo/Corp. I agree with you Kai i think the duration of anarchy should last longer because its not a penalty if 90% of the universe does it. Everyone loses the same amount one way or another. I would much rather see the penalty be longer and greater.
Unread 22 Jul 2014, 00:08   #3
Killeah
Old Skool

Killeah has a spectacular aura aboutKilleah has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiba

The other area is Government. Im not a fan of Anarchy in its current form, i dont think it serves any purpose expect to Research Rush and then swap to Corp. If anything it has taken away one of the strategic elements of the game which was Gov choice, now everyone is just a Demo/Corp drone and has kind of made Governments redundant as an area to get an advantage on someone else.

My main proposed changes would be the removal or atleast reduction of Corps mining bonus. 24% is vastly excessive in a game where income means a hell of a lot to rank over 7 weeks. The other change would be the removal of the 168 tick limit on starting a government, i believe their should be no limit as being without a Gov can have benefits in the early round compared to picking one and i would like to see people maybe using this to strategise against others.
Hmm i'm with you as far as Corporation being the Best for a High roid planet. +700, i however Think anarchy makes a good impact to the game, everyone went without gov till tick 168 and took Corporation before, regardless of race, Now it actually gives possibilities to match a gov to you race b4 going rest of round gov. And i do not agree with the only choice being demo, sure for a xan but not for a cat who Will get the entire research tree done at tick 1100 anyway, and only sit on 150 constructions. Obviously soc or tot is the better choice there.

So if anything, anarchy has contributed to a more diverse use of govs. That Said, Corporation is still a bit too op mid/lategame, and hard to avoid if youre able to hold a reasonalbe amount of roids, which most are these days.

So in short:

Yea to Corporation redesign

Nay to anarchy lock

Indifferent about race specific pop (as long as its balanced)
Killeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2014, 07:53   #4
Blue_Esper

Blue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of light

yes i think a massive overhaul of governments and race choices is warranted, i would like to see more control put into players hands however, with a base race giving certain bonus's and then you have a few points left over to add in yourself to customise your race to your needs with caps on minimum and maximum numbers, this could allow for covops being viable for terran for example if that's where you wanted to place your points. i think there needs to be a lot more customisation in this game so that your planet feels more like your planet. obviously a long way off but perhaps being able to upload a picture of your planet, or pick one from a few predetermined planets (perhaps with their own bonus's) like if you wanted to live on a rock planet it would give you mining bonus but slower construction and research or lower mining but much higher research or construction speed etc.

i would also like to see an actual # of population of your planet, say you start off with 10k population which grows in times of peace increasing depending on the amount of roids and income you have and when under attack either plateaus or if you crash your ships a lot, it reduces depending on value % crashed. this wouldn't have any actual effect on anything, but would make a nice addition to universe page to see who has the highest population.
Unread 22 Jul 2014, 08:48   #5
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Esper View Post
you have a few points left over to add in yourself to customise your race to your needs with caps on minimum and maximum numbers
I would be very much in favour of this. In practice are all governments of one 'type' the same; no we have a vast array of different styles of democracies in the real world. The point of governments in pa is to give players more options so why not make this as wide as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Esper View Post
i would also like to see an actual # of population of your planet, say you start off with 10k population which grows in times of peace increasing depending on the amount of roids and income you have and when under attack either plateaus or if you crash your ships a lot, it reduces depending on value % crashed. this wouldn't have any actual effect on anything, but would make a nice addition to universe page to see who has the highest population.
We had this for a while though not affected by the factors you suggest iirc - as you say it was meaningless and I assume that is why it was taken out again. In my end of round 30 post I have commented
Quote:
Originally Posted by booji
it has been pointed out to me that I have a high population... am I special? Population: 26,840,996,000 Growth: 7%

Otterly an Otter.
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2014, 08:57   #6
Blue_Esper

Blue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of light

well i would like it to be included again and perhaps put on universe page as another meaningless way of ranking people. Ultimately i would like to see actual population be mirrored in the settings, so instead of a % you have a #.
Unread 22 Jul 2014, 09:03   #7
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

Yes back in/around round 30 I thought that was the way they were planning on going with population. It would be interesting to know why they did not decide to do that. It makes sense that you should have to encourage population growth in the way that you do value growth with both meaning good things for your planet.

Otterly an Otter.
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2014, 09:06   #8
Blue_Esper

i think it was too hard to code?
Unread 22 Jul 2014, 10:12   #9
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to increase the anarchy time two rounds ago with no luck