Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Dec 2003, 09:47   #1
Muha
The Port Royale

Muha will become famous soon enoughMuha will become famous soon enough
The dungeons and dragons movie

this is rp related so i hope it aint deleted/closed

anyone seen this movie, i just saw it, and it isnt THAT bad, definatly over-acted, and a crap finish, but i would watch it again

Muha gives it 3/5 Toes up
[16:45] <Ur_Quan> brains?? am i missing something??
(13:17:44) (+PyRo`) Muha is a genius <3
(02:51:02) • +Siv|Risk bows before the overwhelming knowledge of Muha
Muha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2003, 12:12   #2
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: The dungeons and dragons movie

i was told it was crap, so i didn't bother watching it.
Unread 28 Dec 2003, 14:53   #3
J-Kama-Ka-C
Held Back

J-Kama-Ka-C is on a distinguished road

I liked it, saw it when the DVD came out ages back, then watched it on and off on the movie channel. It's not the greatest movie ever to be sure, but it's watchable and does a lot with what it's got. Crap acting is usually a comedy bonus.

That said, I will watch almost anything, I liked Final Fantasy: tSW, etc
Unread 28 Dec 2003, 17:21   #4
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Ur_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the rough

I happened to see it last week and I had expected a lot more of it, to say the least.

The actors were doing their best, no doubt, but it was indeed over-acted. Apart from that, I thought the script sucked a little or rather, they were trying to show too much in too little time. This made for lots of short scenes without a clear purpose, especially in the beginning. The story didn't really evolve, it was just sort of there all of a sudden, no interesting turns in the plot either. It was all very clear from the start who were the good guys and who were the bad guys.

About half way through the film I thought: "Well, at least he doesn't have a magic sword", and what do you think he suddenly gets? The bad thing about this, is that it doesn't even play a role in the final battle. It could just as easily have been a normal sword, but then the guys from special effects couldn't have added sparks of lightning to the clashing swords. It made the entire thing all very starwarsy, especially with that guy that was trying to cause friction in the senate etc. I kept on hearing the Darth Vader tune every time the captain of the imperial guard entered some place and I was waiting for the moment he said something like "I am your father <insert name of thief here>". Then I thought: "OK, so there was this magic sword, but at least no bringing back of the dead for an ultra happy ending when the movie is over." Granted, you don't see the guy actually coming back, but some kind of gemstone is put on his grave, it glows a bit and the name on the grave is erased after which the entire party of bold adventurers is sucked into the gemstone or something like that.

On the good side, I did like the effects in the film.
Unread 29 Dec 2003, 00:25   #5
dragonsjem
Darkling's WIFE

dragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to alldragonsjem is a name known to all

Heh, I saw it back in the theatre after watching a show on how they did some of the effects. I quite enjoyed the movie. The actors did the best they could especially considering the stars were so used to doing bit parts before. I think Thora Birch (the queen) was the most seasoned of the actors and maybe the main bad guy. The coolest things are that the star theif guy actually did most of his own stunts such as the theives guild part. I think the movie could have been better in general had they:
1. Gotten more seasoned actors.
2. Not used the draw of D&D. It could have been just a good fantasy movie but the D&D turned many ppl off it because of course we all know D&D is evil.
3. Developed the elf ranger more. She had to be one of the coolest chars.
4. Used the scenes they deleted or never filmed such as the birth of the dragon (DVD extra).
5.Had an ending that made sense or actually had made a sequel.

I still think despite the problems it's worth giving it at least one watch. You can even buy it for $6 in the US so it's not like it's expensive.

* tiger uses the ultimate way in, trough the water pipes
* Shadowhawk idly points out that this is #rpgal, the pipes are probably blocked from all the bs that you come up with.
dragonsjem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2003, 00:30   #6
Muha
The Port Royale

Muha will become famous soon enoughMuha will become famous soon enough

that bad senate guy is off die hard with a vengance BTW

and at least the golden vs red dragon fight scene fwas good
[16:45] <Ur_Quan> brains?? am i missing something??
(13:17:44) (+PyRo`) Muha is a genius <3
(02:51:02) • +Siv|Risk bows before the overwhelming knowledge of Muha
Muha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2003, 18:27   #7
akhbareth
The Wise

akhbareth is an unknown quantity at this point

saw about 30mins that was enough,
was just plain stupid, didn't bother to see it finished.
akhbareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 03:15   #8
adam
The Oldbie Newbie

adam has a spectacular aura aboutadam has a spectacular aura about

I was kinda happy when I saw I could rent movies at my avondale so I decided to rent D&D.

Apart from the cornines of the entire movie I enjoyed it the actors were okay, the theives guild thing was pretty good and apart from the starwarsy like effect I enjoyed

3.6/5 one big hairy thumb up!

Wizards First Rule- People Are Stupid
Quoted by the first Wizard Zorrander

Defender of the RP forums against the GD invasion September the 19th 2003
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 07:26   #9
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Bakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the rough

Saw it a LONG time ago....

Was not impressed....

Maybe I should give it another try....

*Goes to hunt for it on filesharing networks....*