User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Jul 2005, 12:49   #1
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
Cluster alliances...

I wish they were useful, but they arent. Unless incluster attacking is made -1 and incluster defending -1(-2 if same alliance) we'll never see a proper c allie again(which imo is sad )

So for now, I laugh at all the gals napping and allying cluster, not understanding that the real alliances dont give a shit :/

Just had too many episodes with c allies this round

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 14:46   #2
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of
Re: Cluster alliances...

with PaX, clusters where made utterly useless for two reasons:

1) The playerbase is small & leet, noone depends on incluster defence.
2) There is (as you say) no attack bonus, so making sure you are safe from incluster attacks makes no sense anymore.

I miss the good old days of having incluster xan fleetcatches, so I wouldnt mind if they found a good way of reintroducing cluster eta bonuses.

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 15:39   #3
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

ETA bonus for in-cluster attacking is a very VERY bad idea.

I've made some suggestions on how to make clusters useful again in the Suggestions forum. We're going to have to see something pretty drastic done to make clusters worthwile though.
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 16:23   #4
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In cluster attacking while very very fun indeed would probably result in the game being over far far quicker.

If the playerbase was larger it could be supported, but not any more.
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 16:45   #5
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The problem with clusters is most of the ways you can make them useful requires that the alliance is fragmented into a number of them along alliance and skill lines. Then the problem with that is it makes the divide between the big and small greater because not only are the bigger players the more active and skilled players but also they are more likly to have more to gain from working together so work as a unit much better. In the smaller cluster alliance theres just not that advantage to sending ships to someone else in your group whom due to activity levels isnt likly to be able to help you out later. I mean even if you were to say add a fleet that would be able to defend only cluster mates you would find that the chances are most of the people in the smaller alliance would simply not use it unless it was someone in your alliance or in an ally of your alliance as it wouldnt be worth wasting ships on
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 18:27   #6
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

To you and I, cluster alliances may be a pointless exercise, but to new players just starting off, it can be a shallow end introduction to alliances, and a way of meeting new friends. It is also a potential source of fun. Whilst I wouldn't suggest that cluster alliances have any tactical merits, they do have a potential to benefit certain players, and as such, the community.
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 18:47   #7
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar
To you and I, cluster alliances may be a pointless exercise, but to new players just starting off, it can be a shallow end introduction to alliances, and a way of meeting new friends. It is also a potential source of fun. Whilst I wouldn't suggest that cluster alliances have any tactical merits, they do have a potential to benefit certain players, and as such, the community.
if there were to be clusters, they would have to be larger than clusters are now, to be even remotely viable.
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 18:54   #8
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

split uni into 4 clusters etc, sorts it all.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 20:32   #9
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about

my cluster alliance worked fine last round - a bit dysfunctional, but what do you expect - its not an alliance!

I guess what I am trying to say is a cluster alliance is what you make it. With a little time and effort it can be a decent hang out to have
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jul 2005, 22:29   #10
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

TBH, the cluster alliance/NAP, currently introduces a greater chance for a security breach.
Thats all.
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 00:26   #11
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Rumad, you pissed?
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 12:01   #12
max_vix
ViX

max_vix is infamous around these partsmax_vix is infamous around these partsmax_vix is infamous around these partsmax_vix is infamous around these partsmax_vix is infamous around these partsmax_vix is infamous around these parts

I was in =1st= last round and we managed to get 1:2 as the #1 gal, and my own gal was #5 (1:10) 1:7 also made top 15, possibly top 10 I can't remember now.

My point is - they can work, if you MAKE them work. 1:2 and 1:7 saved my ass many a time
max_vix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 12:24   #13
Bashar
Idle Git

It wasn't cluster alliances that put those galaxies where they were.
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 12:33   #14
max_vix
ViX

max_vix is infamous around these partsmax_vix is infamous around these partsmax_vix is infamous around these partsmax_vix is infamous around these partsmax_vix is infamous around these partsmax_vix is infamous around these parts

I never said it was. But they DID help. my own gal was under constant attack when we were ranked #1 and 1:2 and 1:7 sent plenty of fleets to help us. If it wasn't for the cluster NAP we wouldn't have stayed top 5
max_vix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2005, 17:10   #15
ironhell
Gifted

ironhell is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_vix
I was in =1st= last round and we managed to get 1:2 as the #1 gal, and my own gal was #5 (1:10) 1:7 also made top 15, possibly top 10 I can't remember now.

My point is - they can work, if you MAKE them work. 1:2 and 1:7 saved my ass many a time
Oi, we were 7th or 8th u little biatch

Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
There was only one galaxy we couldn't seem to break (lo ironhell)
r3 11:14
r4 130:12
r5 25:20
r6 39:9
ironhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 05:40   #16
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Rumad, you pissed?
nope not at all
Proud to be Independent
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 05:41   #17
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
It wasn't cluster alliances that put those galaxies where they were.
partially true, but the early support of and use of cluster alliances helped there position.
Proud to be Independent
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 05:42   #18
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhell
Oi, we were 7th or 8th u little biatch
actually my gal finished 8th ;D
Proud to be Independent
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 11:25   #19
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

I "PERSONALLY" don't like cluster or parallell alliances. They interfere with the policies of the alliances, they create extra potential trouble (member that has cluster nap but the alliance don't give a FK about those naps etc ...).

I never respected the rules in cluster nway, most of the time it's just mainly "talking" yet little "action" and during the round, whatever cluster agreement there once was, dissappears nway when alliances no longen tollerate the cluster policies.

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 20:00   #20
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumad
partially true, but the early support of and use of cluster alliances helped there position.
Not even slightly. The wooden construction which they sat upon all round made their rank possible.

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
mazzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 21:53   #21
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzelaar
Not even slightly. The wooden construction which they sat upon all round made their rank possible.
Would I fit in this wooden construction?
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 22:24   #22
Bashar
Idle Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
Would I fit in this wooden construction?
You're shackled up in the cellar in your gimp outfit
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 22:32   #23
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
You're shackled up in the cellar in your gimp outfit
My cunning pun on my exceedingly shit online nick (it's the com unit's fault fs :/ ) has failed. :/

Besides which, you forgot to take me out for walkies today.
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 22:53   #24
Bashar
Idle Git

Sorry, I had to go to work

Besides, you were naughty yesterday, you stole Sid's wig. (Sid is gonna kill me for that one).
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 23:55   #25
Gate
;D!

I would have thought a 1up HC would know to keep such leet intel on their glorious leader's current state of hairy-ness in private. I think you will be joining me soon \o/

Uhh, yea, clusters. I for one have never seen an effective cluster alliance; but perhaps greater effort should be made for them in order to help newer players?
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 23:58   #26
Bashar
Idle Git

Quote:
I Uhh, yea, clusters. I for one have never seen an effective cluster alliance; but perhaps greater effort should be made for them in order to help newer players?
c7r? Loads of alliances formed out of cluster alliances, though I admit that is extremely unlikely to ever happen again.
Unread 29 Jul 2005, 23:59   #27
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Uhh, yea, clusters. I for one have never seen an effective cluster alliance; but perhaps greater effort should be made for them in order to help newer players?
Not really. Alliances are most players' higher priority, over their galaxy. Since cluster alliances are dominated by galaxies, not alliances, then cluster alliances will never survive past the first few weeks.

The only effective cluster alliances are by block members. Say Wolfpack, Tides of Fire and Veneratio were working together: they could have their members in grouped cluster channels (all c1 members, all c2 members, and so on). They could then defend each other at 'alliance eta'.

Quote:
c7r? Loads of alliances formed out of cluster alliances, though I admit that is extremely unlikely to ever happen again.
Not while there is no ETA advantage for attacking in-cluster.
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 00:04   #28
Gate
;D!

Quote:
I'm a newbie PA player, I joined in round 10. :/

So I've never seen an effective cluster alliance, and I guess this is due to smaller clusters/player numbers, change in etas in C, and more rigid alliance structures. Pure guesswork though...
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 00:05   #29
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Played 16 rounds of PA, only decent cluster alliance I've been in (that lasted more than a few weeks) was 'c12nap' in round 3. So there you go.

Not even been in one that lasted more than a week since PaX...
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 04:56   #30
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
Played 16 rounds of PA,
isn't this one the 16th (and that is even counting r8 a full one ) ? and it just started?
or which "b" rounds were there except 9.5 and 10.5?
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 05:29   #31
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzelaar
Thanks for clearing that one up for me
Proud to be Independent
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 10:12   #32
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious
isn't this one the 16th (and that is even counting r8 a full one ) ? and it just started?
or which "b" rounds were there except 9.5 and 10.5?
Yes, I'm counting this one, which has now had more than enough time to see cluster alliances set up.
Unread 30 Jul 2005, 18:03   #33
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

My gals usually formed c-allies/naps with other gals in cluster, but if my alliance decided to attack any of the gals in the c-alliance, I wouldn't hold my ships back. That's how much a c-alliance matters to me