User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 May 2005, 11:46   #1
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Has anyone ever wondered....

How the hell the planets can tell exactly which planet in a galaxy all the ships are heading for when they're 12 hours/ticks away?
(Yes I know PA isn't known for it's realism )
Unread 27 May 2005, 12:09   #2
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Has anyone ever wondered....

im confused by what u mean
Unread 27 May 2005, 12:20   #3
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

intelligence*

*stupidity
Unread 27 May 2005, 12:21   #4
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki
im confused by what u mean
He means that, if this was somehow 'real', the galaxy should be able to see that there are ships headed in their direction, but it's strange that the galaxy can work out which exact planet it is heading for. I think so, anyway.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2005, 13:09   #5
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
How the hell the planets can tell exactly which planet in a galaxy all the ships are heading for when they're 12 hours/ticks away?
im really hoping this idea doesnt make it onto suggestions forum

but all the same very true
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2005, 13:32   #6
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

I've always assumed that there was some kind of "jumpgate" technology being used, whereby a jumpgate could be opened to a specific point in space. The jumpgate would therefore open near to a specific planet and could be detected by that planet.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2005, 13:34   #7
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

it'd be much harder to defend that's for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
He means that, if this was somehow 'real', the galaxy should be able to see that there are ships headed in their direction, but it's strange that the galaxy can work out which exact planet it is heading for. I think so, anyway.
yep. Roughly their direction anyway. Cluster, then galaxy, then planet . Obviously the attackers phone ahead and say "oi, we'll be at your planet in 10 ticks, make sure the kettle is on "
(I can just see customized launch notification suggestions )
Unread 27 May 2005, 14:11   #8
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
I've always assumed that there was some kind of "jumpgate" technology being used, whereby a jumpgate could be opened to a specific point in space. The jumpgate would therefore open near to a specific planet and could be detected by that planet.
So why does it take so long to get there?
Unless all the pilots are high/drunk/etc and take 5 hours to get in order, 5 hours to make it through the jumpgate in single file etc, then they just shoot their guns and go back home.

Surely then the stargate / warpgate / jumpgate / etc should be called things like "you employ someone to organise your fleet better. it takes 1 hour less to get to your target destination"
Unread 27 May 2005, 15:03   #9
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

one jumpgate goes into some sort of hyperspace, the other goes to real space again
like in babylon 5 type thing.
Except it opens both ends at once.

each new travel tech improves the route in the hyperspace making the journey shorter

Cmon, have some imagination
Unread 27 May 2005, 15:22   #10
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

As phil said, jumpgates arent instant travels, they are just shortcuts. What would normal take a year, a thousand years, a million years - is doable in a significantly shorter period of time.

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2005, 15:29   #11
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

I always wondered why you have planets in a galaxy instead of planets in a solar system, especially when you consider that the number of solar systems in a galaxy is easily into 6 figures, having only 10-25 planets per galaxy always seemed a little odd. Mind you, could be early in the history of the universe, and not a lot of planets have developed yet.
Unread 27 May 2005, 15:36   #12
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Clearly this planet notices a disturbance in their own territory, coming from the jumpgate that is about to open. They locate the origin with their highly advanced scanning system. All the planets in a galaxy are so far away from each other(yet so close o_O), that it is easy to tell where the incommings are heading. Its easy !

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2005, 15:42   #13
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar
I always wondered why you have planets in a galaxy instead of planets in a solar system, especially when you consider that the number of solar systems in a galaxy is easily into 6 figures, having only 10-25 planets per galaxy always seemed a little odd. Mind you, could be early in the history of the universe, and not a lot of planets have developed yet.
Ive wondered about that too :-)

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
Unread 27 May 2005, 16:18   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've never liked the way the guys organising my fleet can't seem to count higher than three. Do their brains explode when they try to send ships in four different directions at the same time?
Unread 27 May 2005, 16:26   #15
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

I've thought of that more like they need a certain ingredient to allow them to build a fleet launching centre, like a power station orso which can only power one fleet each and each planet can only hold 3 of said stations without having too much and exploding etc

But the brain explosion works too.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2005, 16:48   #16
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

I always thought my pilots were just not very bright, and so I only ever managed to have 4 who were good enough to be admirals, although one was badly ill, and so couldn't cope with the rigours of space. Come to think of it though, that's a lot of times it's happened, seems a strange conspiracy.
Unread 27 May 2005, 16:56   #17
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
one jumpgate goes into some sort of hyperspace, the other goes to real space again
like in babylon 5 type thing.
Except it opens both ends at once.

each new travel tech improves the route in the hyperspace making the journey shorter

Cmon, have some imagination
How are both ends opened at once? Does the planet go "oh, someone's trying to open a jumpgate by my planet to try and steal my roids, I'll just help them..."

And what is hyperspace? I don't watch babylon 5. Is it some sort of dimension that's everywhere at once? If so, how can journeys be improved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRat
As phil said, jumpgates arent instant travels, they are just shortcuts. What would normal take a year, a thousand years, a million years - is doable in a significantly shorter period of time.
like 12 hours, 11, 10, 9? Must be from the lineage of linux programmers - "well, we cut it down from 10 light years to 12 hours, now we'll try to shave off another hour"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I've never liked the way the guys organising my fleet can't seem to count higher than three. Do their brains explode when they try to send ships in four different directions at the same time?
Clearly there's only 4(or 5) people with the mental ability to do more than try and kill other ships on each planet. 1 for each of the 3 fleets, 1 for the base fleet (if you really want one), and you to oversee the general running of your planet and co-ordinate them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
I've thought of that more like they need a certain ingredient to allow them to build a fleet launching centre, like a power station orso which can only power one fleet each and each planet can only hold 3 of said stations without having too much and exploding etc
But the brain explosion works too.
You mean there's only enough warp structures around your planet to make 3 hypergates in space to other planets?
Clearly with a huge planet (to hold everyone's huge fleets ) and everyone's asteroids, there's probably not enough room to place more than 3 near your planet.

That might be why it takes 8-12 hours to get to other planets - after you've dodged all those damn asteroids on the way to the hypergate structure, that's easily 5 hours wasted. Smaller ships do it quicker as they can fly between them, but big ships hit them so easily they have to go a long way around.

(Random tangent: I vote some of those random features meantioned in the advance quests thread include things like "the pilot of one of your battleships was completely trashed, so when launching fleet Alpha, he accidently collided with 3 asteroids.
Lost: 1 Battleship and 3 Asteroids)
Unread 27 May 2005, 17:06   #18
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Clearly there's only 4(or 5) people with the mental ability to do more than try and kill other ships on each planet. 1 for each of the 3 fleets, 1 for the base fleet (if you really want one), and you to oversee the general running of your planet and co-ordinate them all.
Then next round can I have planet where the average IQ of the residents is a number higher than 8 please?
Unread 27 May 2005, 17:13   #19
Lunar_Lamp
Server Manager

Lunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of lightLunar_Lamp is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I always presumed that only those planets capable of sustaining life were counted, and obviously the differing numbers of planets in a galaxy in each round is due to the advance/loss of technology in living on less than ideal planets. This round is clearly more akin to reality as planets are being developed for life as the round progresses, thus increasing galaxy size.

Of course, shunting an entire planet out of the galaxy is something that requires explanation...
Unread 27 May 2005, 17:17   #20
Bashar
Idle Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Lamp
I always presumed that only those planets capable of sustaining life were counted, and obviously the differing numbers of planets in a galaxy in each round is due to the advance/loss of technology in living on less than ideal planets. This round is clearly more akin to reality as planets are being developed for life as the round progresses, thus increasing galaxy size.

Of course, shunting an entire planet out of the galaxy is something that requires explanation...
And there only being 10-25 planets inhabitable per galaxy is quite unexplainable. That is about 1 planet per 10,000 solar systems.
Unread 27 May 2005, 17:18   #21
xontas

xontas is a jewel in the roughxontas is a jewel in the roughxontas is a jewel in the rough

heat getting 2 you guys?
xontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2005, 17:19   #22
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
And there only being 10-25 planets inhabitable per galaxy is quite unexplainable. That is about 1 planet per 10,000 solar systems.
That's not that unrealistic considering nobody has found life on any other planets yet.
Unread 27 May 2005, 17:23   #23
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Then next round can I have planet where the average IQ of the residents is a number higher than 8 please?
sorry. limited intelligent life forms etc .
Unread 27 May 2005, 17:28   #24
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Lamp

They have all these hypergates for fleets. They link them up, to form some ultra planet hypergate, that due to its unstable nature is hard to maintain (extra cost) and is highly unpredictable, so it's random
Unread 27 May 2005, 17:29   #25
TheRat
Retired

Hyperspace, wormholes etc are rifts in space/time, allowing you to take shortcuts from 1 place in space to another.
Code:
----------------------a
| c                | d
----------------------b
Instead of going from a-c-b, you go a-d-b making it a much shorter trip.

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
Unread 27 May 2005, 17:32   #26
TheRat
Retired

Alternatively, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperspace if you feel like banging your head against the wall

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
Unread 27 May 2005, 17:44   #27
Appocomaster
PA Team

Yeah, I thought so. Go parallel dimensions etc. So literally, the ETA researches are optimising getting in and out of there. Maybe it's by slowly replacing all the female pilots with male pilots

(I still would have all my ships randomly orbitting my planet in space. Then when a hypergate opened, as the ships started coming through I'd just shoot them to bits. This would only be possible by installing toilets on the ships - the major tactical reason why the issue has repeatedly been mentioned on the forums. At the moment, the alarm bells sound for incoming, and everyone has to use the ground ones first before climbing aboard....)

Last edited by Appocomaster; 27 May 2005 at 17:48. Reason: Forgot the toilets in ships possibility!
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2005, 17:45   #28
Bashar
Idle Git

Quote:
That's not that unrealistic considering nobody has found life on any other planets yet.
But it is also a stab in the dark as 10k planets haven't yet been found.
Unread 27 May 2005, 19:26   #29
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Its because every planet has their own secret agency and embassy's on other planets that have to keep an eye on hostile activity

rl examples, if the USA is about to attack iraq.. or even some underground terrorist organisating (who are supposed to be hidden and secret) is about to make a move then they'll know..

and if its about space ships it isnt hard to see how fast they are going and how much they are etc

Why wouldnt that be realistic, its not like a fleet of spaceships can get away unnoticed
Unread 27 May 2005, 19:38   #30
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

'Space is big. Really big...'

Spaceships are smaller.
Unread 27 May 2005, 20:26   #31
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio
Its because every planet has their own secret agency and embassy's on other planets that have to keep an eye on hostile activity

rl examples, if the USA is about to attack iraq.. or even some underground terrorist organisating (who are supposed to be hidden and secret) is about to make a move then they'll know..
if you believe conspiracy theorys

Quote:
and if its about space ships it isnt hard to see how fast they are going and how much they are etc

Why wouldnt that be realistic, its not like a fleet of spaceships can get away unnoticed
I'm not saying they're not unnoticed. If you see a blob on the horizon, how can you tell if it's moving towards you, or going to pass 10 miles to your left? At first, you can't. Just increase the dimensions a bit.
Yes I know the Earth is curved, and space is seen by many as not being but I'm not talkingabout that. I'm talking about that sort of thing where something seems to be coming straight towards you but from your single point it's impossible to gauge velocity successfully - you don't even know if it's flying past you, or going to stop before it reaches you, assuming that there's nothing else in the direct line between you and the spaceships.
Unread 27 May 2005, 20:38   #32
Bashar
Idle Git

Quote:
rl examples, if the USA is about to attack iraq..
EVERYBODY knew that was going to happen, you didn't need to have an agent in the US to work that one out. The US practically told Iraq they'd be attacking them.