User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 19 Jan 2003, 18:31   #1
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Computer upgrade-o-thingie

1) What problems could be encountered if I got a new mobo/cpu/memory, put all my current bits in it, and didnt reformat?

2) This computer has an Athlon XP 1500.. could I just take that out an put in one of a higher spec?

[/simple questions]

Last edited by BesigedB; 19 Jan 2003 at 18:38.
BesigedB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 18:59   #2
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
2) depends on your mobo - check the manufacturers website if you don't have the manual.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 19:36   #3
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
its doubtful the motherboard will support a decent cpu, but it might. If you only replace the cpu then I beleive you dont have to worry about anything but if you change the motherboard I'd say its a good idea to format..you wouldnt have to though you could just leave it or reinstall windows over your current 1

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 20:54   #4
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
A high voltage will surge through your cables, causing the cpu fan to spin rapidly, before flying off damaging all the parts, causing the mobo to catch a light, and exploding which causes your monitor's screen to shatter into tiny pieces of approx. billions! before shattering into your body sending you to the wall, stuck there, and your mice being thrown down your gob from the pressure of the explosion
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 21:11   #5
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by Androme2
A high voltage will surge through your cables, causing the cpu fan to spin rapidly, before flying off damaging all the parts, causing the mobo to catch a light, and exploding which causes your monitor's screen to shatter into tiny pieces of approx. billions! before shattering into your body sending you to the wall, stuck there, and your mice being thrown down your gob from the pressure of the explosion
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 21:16   #6
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Re: Computer upgrade-o-thingie

Quote:
Originally posted by BesigedB
1) What problems could be encountered if I got a new mobo/cpu/memory, put all my current bits in it, and didnt reformat?

2) This computer has an Athlon XP 1500.. could I just take that out an put in one of a higher spec?

[/simple questions]
1. When I upgraded my mobo/GFX/CPU, I put it together with my old HDD and forgot about reformatting, it booted into windows fine, and all it asked for were new drivers for my GFX.

But I was going to reformat anyway, so it may or may not boot up at all.

My advise, if you change out the mobo I would reformat.

(I went from Tbird 850Mhz, ASUS VIA KT133, GF2 to an AXP2000+, nForce415D and GF4Ti)

2. You can, though possibly within certain limitations, what is the model?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 21:33   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Windows can be very picky over having, basicly, the single most complex and important part of the machine swapped while it isn't looking. For this reason I'd say if you're changing the board then reformat, just to avoid conflicts.
This can happen especially if you change chipset manufacturers (ie. going from a board that has a VIA chipset to one that has an SIS chipset).

If you just upgrade the CPU and RAM then you don't need to do anything.

Unread 19 Jan 2003, 21:35   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Boris, are you especially going to upgrade for my l33t game?
VERY GOOD BWOY!!!
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 21:39   #9
Androme
☆ ♥ 

I remember the most ugliest playmate ever. angel boris.

YUCK FS.

coincedence? nah.ishh....
----------retired-------
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 22:14   #10
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
I've replaced the mainboard on several Win2k/XP machines, and everytime its gone to a blue screen stop error on bootup declaring INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. There may have been a way around using safe mode etc, but tbh I didnt think it was worth bothering with just to end up with several more obscure faults further down the line.

Highly recommended to reinstall windows when installing a new mainboard.
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 22:56   #11
BesigedB
Darling

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
Boris, are you especially going to upgrade for my l33t game?
VERY GOOD BWOY!!!
What game?
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 22:57   #12
BesigedB
Darling

Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez
Highly recommended to reinstall windows when installing a new mainboard.
I assume installing a new hard disk and using the old one as a file store would not encounter problems.
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 23:19   #13
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by BesigedB
I assume installing a new hard disk and using the old one as a file store would not encounter problems.
I normally do it that way.

I have 4 hard disks, so when I need to reformat I can just a different one as my main windows disk and leave the other installation intact in case something goes wrong.
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 23:34   #14
Androme
☆ ♥ 

as I said.
----------retired-------