User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 1 Jan 2003, 23:25   #1
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of
Windows XP machine running at a snails pace

Ok, i've got a Dell 4400 with Windows XP with all the latest updates and its literally running at a snails pace. I've run ad-aware to see if there was any random stuff slowing it down but wasnt any use.

Was wandering if anyone has any suggestions of why it is running so slowly?

So if im being vague or whatever - ask if you want more details.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2003, 23:54   #2
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Have you looked at hardware? Hard disk speed, ram speed, amount of ram etc. If its using the swap alot it will slow down.
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 00:08   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Some idea of the specs would be nice.
I'm tired and I'll be buggered if I'm traipsing round the Dell website trying to find out how much RAM you've got.

Making guesses at the cause with what info you've given (not much) I'd say either lack of RAM (so swapping - made worse by low spec high access-time harddrives probably), OS Degredation, or both.

Unread 2 Jan 2003, 00:49   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
It's amusing how people assume that everyone is psychic
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 02:47   #5
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Some idea of the specs would be nice.
I'm tired and I'll be buggered if I'm traipsing round the Dell website trying to find out how much RAM you've got.

Making guesses at the cause with what info you've given (not much) I'd say either lack of RAM (so swapping - made worse by low spec high access-time harddrives probably), OS Degredation, or both.

It's not on the Dell webby but...
Quote:
I ended up with a Dell Dimension 4400 which included an Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 1.7 GHz and 256 MB DDR SDRAM of memory.
...from another lucky Dell owner

Have you tried having a look at the running processes and the CPU usage? That system should be flying with XP so there's definitely a problem somewhere.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 19:09   #6
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of
Yeah thats the correct spec. and yeah ive checked all the processes. Yeah it used to run very smoothly. I guess i'll just have to try reinstalling windows.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2003, 00:12   #7
Parksy

Quote:
Originally posted by MrPeach
Yeah thats the correct spec. and yeah ive checked all the processes. Yeah it used to run very smoothly. I guess i'll just have to try reinstalling windows.
My parents' computer had a similar problem. Nothing worked except reinstalling Windows.
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 01:53   #8
Atheist

Atheist is an unknown quantity at this point
yea i did the same thing for a friend.