No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts
Re: Planet Wars: Redux

Plan of Action
News Posts (1/2)
Events (0/?)
Tier 2 Tech Tree (started work on)
Commodities (not done)
Update planet type descriptions (advice from those qualified to give it is always welcome)
Update the spreadsheet to make DMing easier (not done)

Additionally, it has come to my attention that the current colonial system is untenable and needs revision. It's clearly going to be impossible for you all to assemble empires of any decent size if you have to meticulously micro-manage every planet you settle on. Suggestions here are welcome.
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 16:45   #652
No Dachi

Hewitt
....Has responsibility for writing spiffy new planet descriptions.

Unread 27 Apr 2005, 20:00   #653
Killer-of-Lawye
ensign

Killer-of-Lawye will become famous soon enoughKiller-of-Lawye will become famous soon enough

But... Micromanaging is my strong point
Killer-of-Lawye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 20:09   #654
Wo2
The Janitor!

Wo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to behold

Colony management
Um... Might I suggest player made custom colony plans? Like the players having the ability to show the people what their end goal should be and that taking a certain numbers of turns before it becomes complete (dependent on the planets resources of course) It would sort of be like a, for lack of a better comparison, complex in game. You have your core colony plans with their strengths and weaknesses and then sub plans to be attached onto the core, like Economic core and a military sub plan attached to it (horrifically simplified mind you so bear with me). I'll admit it would need some work before it became a suitable idea but it would be easier to mix ands match the colony plans than it would hordes of structures.

Comments? Suggestions?
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 22:24   #655
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Lakhim is on a distinguished road

How about each colony delivers a certain amount of resources/tech points/money depending on how old it is/your governing style. Make them worth less then normal planets (your core world will always be the strongest) and allow the ability to switch between the planets (ie move the capital) and allow you to take control of areas that need that control.
Know how I said I would be event DMing today? Well I was lying and instead decided to take the social life option. You'll get your DMings tomorrow, event-tually. Hohoho.
Lakhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 23:24   #656
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the rough

Planet Name: New Sparta
Planet Type: Mars World
Planet Size: Medium (3)
Planet Government: Communist/Military Junta
Planet Leader: Lecan Diphro

Population: 20,000
Population Rate 2,000
Population in Industry: 10,000
Population in Private Sector: 4,000
Population in Government Work: 2850
Unemployed Population: 40

Base Income: 600RM
Planet Size Factor: 3
Industrial Base: 1
Total RM Income: 1,800RM

Tax Rate: 4

Stockpiles:
RM: 4,500
$$$: $740,000

Buildings:

Colony Hub
School - 100P
Hospital - 600P
Fire Station - 400P
Police Station - 600P
Barracks - 500P
Basic Shipyard - 2000P

Procurement: Marine Barracks - 1,200RM, $75,000, 700 P
Basic Sensor Array - 200RM, $30,000, 60P
College - 800RM, $80,000, 750P

Gunboat – 600RM, 100P, $50,000
6x 381mm Railgun – 100RM, $1,000
2x 20mm Minigun – 25RM, $500

1x Military Engineers - 150RM, $20,000, 100P
2x Advanced Infantry - 100RM, $10,000, 100P
Research

Researching:

Warfare – Basic 0G Missile Weaponry
Economics – Interstellar Trade Management
Science – Advanced Computer Systems
Civics – Basic Biodomes

Completed

Warfare –Planetary Assault Doctrine
Economics -
Science -
Civics -

Race Advantages

Improved Training Methods (1)
Defense Contractor (2)
Improved Education (1)
Cultural Identity (1)

Ships

Army

Last edited by mrmao; 28 Apr 2005 at 00:10.
mrmao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 23:52   #657
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

Insane. Badger can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakhim
How about each colony delivers a certain amount of resources/tech points/money depending on how old it is/your governing style. Make them worth less then normal planets (your core world will always be the strongest) and allow the ability to switch between the planets (ie move the capital) and allow you to take control of areas that need that control.
That wouldn't necessarily always be appropriate. Perhaps that would be a good way to start it out but eventually colonies are going to grow into large planets, or if you take over an already established one. For example once a colony reaches a certain size in P/IB it gets given a standard infrastructure (educational/SoL/barracks). That allows for small colonies and such to require little attention beyond keeping track of population and IB upgrades while allowing flexibility in the more important ones.
I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. - Benjamin Franklin
Insane. Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 00:05   #658
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

How about colonies are 'immature' and thus unable to be controlled, basically act on themselves for the first 20 or so years (less most likely), and can be taken over full grown (ie with schools and everything but no military buildings besides a basic stardock) once they reach a certain size? Eliminates the tediousness of the early years whle allowing for control over the resources of the larger, more...fun to play with planets.

(Of course, you'd still get a trickle of $ and resources, but they'd be negilable at first, most obvious bonus would be in the research point department)
Know how I said I would be event DMing today? Well I was lying and instead decided to take the social life option. You'll get your DMings tomorrow, event-tually. Hohoho.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 00:30   #659
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
How about colonies are 'immature' and thus unable to be controlled, basically act on themselves for the first 20 or so years (less most likely), and can be taken over full grown (ie with schools and everything but no military buildings besides a basic stardock) once they reach a certain size? Eliminates the tediousness of the early years whle allowing for control over the resources of the larger, more...fun to play with planets.
Occ/ that would work, anywho RP time/Occ

Lecan was in his new office, he and his friend Calio Rolf had just secured both head of Navy and head of Army in the election a week ago. By otuside standards it would have not been an election, only those who had served in the military could vote, but when most of your poulation had been in the military it was still fair. He was now High Commander and in charge of the army.

The change in power had gone smoothly. The older officers who had hoped to win the election hadn't put up a big fight like Lecan had feared. He doubted however that they would just lay down and take what he planed to do.

--------------

Col. York Roph was on his way to a confrence for fringe worlds, It had gone into session a while ago. However the old leaders didn't send a representive, they didn't wnat to do anything that might aleinate the Inner worlds. Now High Commander Diphro was in charge and he wanteds to change New Sparta's interaction with other worlds. He now read the orders he had been given, they were top secret so , he hadn't been allowed to read them outside his ship. They were simple find out what the aim of the confrence was.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 01:28   #660
Killer-of-Lawye
ensign

Killer-of-Lawye will become famous soon enoughKiller-of-Lawye will become famous soon enough

No. Colonies are the saving grace of fringe worlds. They are what gives us the ability to grow and defend ourselfs from Earth and such. If you make them worth less than the core world, then those with the most valuable core worlds win.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 03:05   #661
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Dachi
Hewitt
....Has responsibility for writing spiffy new planet descriptions.

Well that was unexpected.

If that's a serious comment then alright then but it might take a little time to do proper geo descriptions, but I'll leave the P and RM values the same. But at the end of it I'll probably add a few new planet types.

Oh and as for the colony management - leave em as they are and bugger off to all those peeps trying to stamp on their significance. I like managing my own colonies but perhaps for those who do not some sort of automation could be put in place - like governors in civ.

Dunno how that would work however...

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 05:38   #662
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Inspectre is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem with micromanaging each and every single colony is that sooner or later, we're all bound to have an arseload. Even with the colony restrictions ND has put in place, we can still easily get three colonies, which adds up to four seperate and distinct planets to run. That's a lot of calculation on everyone's part, and that's a lot to manage and double-check. I imagine a week of that, and whoever is responsible for making sure everyone is doing everything right and either a) isn't pulling a fast one, and somehow getting 50,000 free RM every turn, and/or b) has made an honest mistake in their math, costing them RM or accidently giving themselves a freebie, is goign to shoot themselves in the head with a high-caliber pistol. Plus, there seems to be a bit of confusion on how colonies are established and maintained. When first colonized, does it cost any RM to upgrade the planet's IB? Do planets colonized on Turn 1 recieve planet population growth for that turn, so on Turn 2 its Colony ship + Pop growth? Etc etc.

That said, I'll have meh Turn 5 budget up in a day or so. Seems I have a new colony of meh own to run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
like you in your threads after about a week

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Inspectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 09:23   #663
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer-of-Lawye
No. Colonies are the saving grace of fringe worlds. They are what gives us the ability to grow and defend ourselfs from Earth and such. If you make them worth less than the core world, then those with the most valuable core worlds win.
The present colonial restrictions mean colonies aren't really any more helpful to fringe or core worlds as there are enough uninhabited core planets. Anyway, while i'd agree there's not really much problem at the minute with micromanagement i recall budgets being a nightmare in the first thread when every planet in Sol was an earth colony and thats only 9 planets, once people get past that level it gets quite annoying for those of us without a numbers fetish.

On a slightly different point i'm not quite sure what this massive advantage of being a core world is anyway, we don't have any advantage besides a slight $$$ one from being next to a few other inhabited systems, although obviously thats offset by the disadvantages of having alot of neighbours, the Fringe advantage of nearby empty systems in the future massivley outweighs that.
I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. - Benjamin Franklin
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 15:59   #664
No Dachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt

Well that was unexpected.

If that's a serious comment then alright then but it might take a little time to do proper geo descriptions, but I'll leave the P and RM values the same. But at the end of it I'll probably add a few new planet types.
Remember to make them nice and descriptive as well as sciency; the planet types are meant to indicate topography to a certain degree as well as how resource-rich the planet is. If you add in any new types, PM them to me first for consultation.

Colonial Simplification
Here are two facts:

1) We are never going to be able to get empires of any decent size with the current system.
2) While some of you apparently enjoy trawling through lots of numbers, I do not, and making the colonial system easier for me to DM is also a consideration.

Bearing this in mind, here is what I'm currently thinking of:

Each colony has several "attributes", graded (mostly) from 1 to 5 in terms of the level of development depending on how much money you put into the colony daily. The attributes that I can think of at the moment would be:

Population (limitless) - rises indefinitely according to P rate, represents total Population.
Industrial Base (limitless) - planet's Industrial Base, upgraded as per normal.
Commercial Development (1 to 5) - level of commercial development on the colony. Trade is, as you know, largely dependent on the number of Trade Lanes leading to a system and how secure they are; CD represents how geared toward recieving Trade a colony is (constuction of space ports, etc). Boosts Trade income.
Educational/Scientific Development (1 to 5) - Determines the level of RP returned from the colony. The cost of maintaining a level of E/SD development increases with population to represent the need for more facilities, etc.
Military Industrial Development (1 to 5) - represents the planet's shipyard facilities. A 5 can produce any kind of vessel up to and including Fleet Carriers, a level 1 can produce only smaller ships such as Corvettes and Fighters. Also determines quantity of each class that can be built each turn.
Defenses (1 to 5) - represents constuction of planetary defense and fortification. A 5 is well-defended by turrets and other facilities, the exact defenses and their effectiveness depending mainly on the size of the colony and your technology level.

(...others)

So all you'd need to do (and all I'd need to do) is list (look at) your planets and their level of each attribute you are paying to maintain at each. They would return resources (P, RM, $$$) as per normal. Paying maintenance each turn represents the cost of maintaining local bueaucracies and of administering the various facilities there, etc. Despite all of this, you'll find that colonies in general will give you a net resource gain. The higher levels of things like Military Industrial Development will be costly to maintain.

Unread 28 Apr 2005, 16:40   #665
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Lakhim - about your budget, how many mining ships do you have, and what exactly are they mining? 5,000 RM from just mining ships seems a bit out of whack to me. :-/

ND - Sounds like a good idea to me.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 18:32   #666
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

I still think once a colony reaches a certain level it should be controllable via normal methods, for example it's feasable a colony may eventually outgrow the homeworld, or a large planet may be conquered (not that i have any interest there, oh no, certainly not). They should be able to be properly controlled by more than a level indicator.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 19:23   #667
No Dachi

It's possible that I will allow "regional capital" colonies that have more options.

Unread 28 Apr 2005, 19:27   #668
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

I would assume these levels would also require P & RM to maintain, rather than just $$? So far this seems like a better option than trying to manage multiple colonies, especially in another ten turns or so when we'll all have entire systems under our iron he - err . . . control.
Quote:

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 20:59   #669
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspectre
Lakhim - about your budget, how many mining ships do you have, and what exactly are they mining? 5,000 RM from just mining ships seems a bit out of whack to me. :-/

ND - Sounds like a good idea to me.
Roids, we're going on the assumption of 5 trips per turn from mine to base (this is the rough number of inter-system trips per turn, its the same for cargo vessels) , at 1,000 rm a pop.

ND has yet to have said otherwise despite rather large potbanging coming from me in the past.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 21:50   #670
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

Quote:
Roids, we're going on the assumption of 5 trips per turn from mine to base (this is the rough number of inter-system trips per turn, its the same for cargo vessels) , at 1,000 rm a pop.

ND has yet to have said otherwise despite rather large potbanging coming from me in the past.
5000RM from a single ship is ridiculous, it makes planetary RM completly obsolete. the 5 trips as far as I know applies only to P/RM transports. No mention was made of mining ships iirc.

EDIT of EDIT: note that 500 is the maximum and would be from some sort of uber-rich asteroid field made of magic pixie roids that turns water into wine or lead into gold or something. Another interesting fact is according to page one there is no in-system asteroid field. Observe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the first page

System 2, Eastern Cloud System
6 Planet System.
Planet 1: Sanchean
Planet 2: Medium Ocean World
Planet 3: Medium Jungle World
Planet 4: New Tokyo
Planet 5: Huge Swamp World
Plaent 6: Small Ice World

Last edited by Insane. Badger; 28 Apr 2005 at 22:04.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 22:45   #671
No Dachi

See, Inspectre, I don't have to check these things if you post them in the thread.

Lakhim: If nothing else, this has shown me that the rules relating to Mining Vessels are currently poor and need to be revised. However:

-The earlier figure given (that of 6 in-system round trips per vessel per turn) was not intended to be applied to Mining Vessels. The actual process of mining takes a long time; it's not easy, particularly when using the first generation of specialised offworld mining equipment. This is the kind of thing you should ask about rather than assume.
-Where Mining Vessels are concerned, you never assume how much you get from a given trip; you have to scan around first to "prospect" a given stellar quarry and find out how much it's worth.
-Additionally, as IB pointed out, your system has no asteroid field and, having checked the map, no deep space asteroid fields anywhere near to it. As such I'm not entirely sure what you thought you were mining.
-In conclusion, cease that mining operation immediately.

Unread 28 Apr 2005, 23:00   #672
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Remember to make them nice and descriptive as well as sciency; the planet types are meant to indicate topography to a certain degree as well as how resource-rich the planet is. If you add in any new types, PM them to me first for consultation.

Colonial Simplification
Here are two facts:

1) We are never going to be able to get empires of any decent size with the current system.
2) While some of you apparently enjoy trawling through lots of numbers, I do not, and making the colonial system easier for me to DM is also a consideration.

Bearing this in mind, here is what I'm currently thinking of:

Each colony has several "attributes", graded (mostly) from 1 to 5 in terms of the level of development depending on how much money you put into the colony daily. The attributes that I can think of at the moment would be:

Population (limitless) - rises indefinitely according to P rate, represents total Population.
Industrial Base (limitless) - planet's Industrial Base, upgraded as per normal.
Commercial Development (1 to 5) - level of commercial development on the colony. Trade is, as you know, largely dependent on the number of Trade Lanes leading to a system and how secure they are; CD represents how geared toward recieving Trade a colony is (constuction of space ports, etc). Boosts Trade income.
Educational/Scientific Development (1 to 5) - Determines the level of RP returned from the colony. The cost of maintaining a level of E/SD development increases with population to represent the need for more facilities, etc.
Military Industrial Development (1 to 5) - represents the planet's shipyard facilities. A 5 can produce any kind of vessel up to and including Fleet Carriers, a level 1 can produce only smaller ships such as Corvettes and Fighters. Also determines quantity of each class that can be built each turn.
Defenses (1 to 5) - represents constuction of planetary defense and fortification. A 5 is well-defended by turrets and other facilities, the exact defenses and their effectiveness depending mainly on the size of the colony and your technology level.

(...others)

So all you'd need to do (and all I'd need to do) is list (look at) your planets and their level of each attribute you are paying to maintain at each. They would return resources (P, RM, $$$) as per normal. Paying maintenance each turn represents the cost of maintaining local bueaucracies and of administering the various facilities there, etc. Despite all of this, you'll find that colonies in general will give you a net resource gain. The higher levels of things like Military Industrial Development will be costly to maintain.
So... does that mean you are going to convert every single present colonies level of development into numbers then?

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 23:08   #673
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Quote:
See, Inspectre, I don't have to check these things if you post them in the thread.

Lakhim: If nothing else, this has shown me that the rules relating to Mining Vessels are currently poor and need to be revised. However:

-The earlier figure given (that of 6 in-system round trips per vessel per turn) was not intended to be applied to Mining Vessels. The actual process of mining takes a long time; it's not easy, particularly when using the first generation of specialised offworld mining equipment. This is the kind of thing you should ask about rather than assume.
-Where Mining Vessels are concerned, you never assume how much you get from a given trip; you have to scan around first to "prospect" a given stellar quarry and find out how much it's worth.
-Additionally, as IB pointed out, your system has no asteroid field and, having checked the map, no deep space asteroid fields anywhere near to it. As such I'm not entirely sure what you thought you were mining.
-In conclusion, cease that mining operation immediately.
Pfft. Just trying to get your attention. Something blatantly absurd like that does the trick rather well, no? I did ask, rather often. Hense the pot banging.

Mining halted. Can we get good rules about that for all times sake now please? Can moons be mined? What is the maximum distance for mining ships? Can they move into the nebula and start harvesting resource rich material there?
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 23:15   #674
No Dachi

Sure, I'll add to the rules now:

Rules Addendum A
1. Double posts are strictly forbidden, except by DMs.
1.a. Any non-DM found of double posting will have his planet glassed to Barren classification.

Looks like we already have an offender!

Unread 28 Apr 2005, 23:16   #675
mrmao
oh...sexy...

Quote:
Can they move into the nebula and start harvesting resource rich material there?

That wouldn't be possible because single atoms in nebulas are more then six feet apart
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 23:18   #676
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmao
That wouldn't be possible because single atoms in nebulas are more then six feet apart
Have you heard of the "big ****ing vacuum cleaner" approach? (Err...I mean just sucking in everything through a scoop while crusing around the nebula)

ND I can write them if you want me to, but I don't think you do. It's two mining ships by the way. I had 500 each (1000 total) for 5 trips a turn. Nothing too out of line. I did ask!

But that doesn't matter. The double posting was due to a mistake with the back button instead of the edit button. E.

(>. >)
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 23:19   #677
No Dachi

Mao
In which case you will find that this is one of those many areas of PW where the laws of physics in the game universe are distorted by my own ignorance. If you ignore them and concentrare on the cool things (pirates! Wow!), you'll find a much happier thread.

Unread 28 Apr 2005, 23:22   #678
No Dachi

Hewitt
Yes, yes I will.

Lakhim
You don't know what the rules are, so I think I'll write them myself.

I don't remember you asking . Then again, it might well have been several months ago, and if so it's unlikely that I'd remember.

Unread 28 Apr 2005, 23:25   #679
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Quote:
Hewitt
Yes, yes I will.

Lakhim
You don't know what the rules are, so I think I'll write them myself.

I don't remember you asking . Then again, it might well have been several months ago, and if so it's unlikely that I'd remember.
I remember making a fuss about it, then just assuming because I was being ignored

But yes, I didn't expect to let you let me write them, more of a please mr dachi don't kill me responce.
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 23:49   #680
mrmao
oh...sexy...

ow you mean that asteroid belts can pound ships into peices and you can hide in nebula. danget that makes space warfare much more about skill now not numbers...
Unread 29 Apr 2005, 03:44   #681
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Here's my first attempt at writing the planet descriptions. Please read and review.

Planet Types:

Barren World - Possibly the most broad planet classification type, a world is classified as 'barren' when it is seen to be of little or no value to the human race in any respect. Typically, barren worlds are ancient bodies that formed early on in the creation of the universe before heavier, more useful elements such as iron were not yet in great abundance. Their great age often results in an almost entirely flat surface from billions of years of gravity settling and erosion, and a lack of any strong magnetic field means if any atmosphere had formed in the past it did not last for very long. Barren worlds also tend to lack much in the way of tectonic history since the lack of any form of atmosphere would've accelerated the cooling down any primative magmas. As such most barren worlds are indistinctive balls of silica-rich rock with traces of titanium, magnesium and aluminium.

Other naturally occuring barren worlds include frozen 'ice balls' and captured asteroids. Worlds subjected to minor man made inconivences such as nuclear bombardment can become barren when the worlds surface is completely glassed. Poisoning a mineral-rich world does not make it barren - just unsuitable for life.

(Note - iron is the heaviest element that can be formed in the fusion processes within a star, anything heavier formed from other processes such as supernovas and so forth - most were spread around the universe by such explosions)

RM Rate: 50
Population Rate: 600P

Arctic World - Earth-like worlds that are so cold that most, if not all surface water is frozen are classed as Arctic Worlds. Arctic worlds are very similar to earth types as they both share the same early formation processes, they both retain strong atmospheres, they both have decent mineral development and they can both support life. The only main (and so obviously glaring) difference is temperature. The extreme cold makes for a very dry natural environment and can make living conditions difficult and some what uncomfortable but not impossible, mining efforts are usually hampered by the extreme weather conditions otherwise are reasonably productive.

Population Rate: 3,000
Raw Materials: 300

Rock World - This type of planet is a kind of universal oddity that is often the result of cataclysmic collisons early on during formation or from direct human intervention. Rock worlds occur naturally when a collison with a planetisimal late in the early formation process completely strips the planet of it's silica-rich crust and most of the mantle, leaving behind a planet that is left behind to form a very thin terrastrial layer over the left over iron-rich core layers. Surprisingly, rock worlds have an atmosphere (due to the strong magnetic field) but are generally dry and have very little life if at all due to the soil-poor, nutrient lacking environment.

Rock worlds are also the remains of gas giants that have been completely striped of their hydrogen, helium and hydrocarbon dominant gas layers. See Uranus

Raw Materials: 800

Earth World - A planet similar to Earth, these planets have are perhaps the most diverse and habitiable worlds in the universe. Earth worlds generally have a balanced mix of climatic factors to provide optimum conditions for life and as such biology on these planets have high levels of biodiversity and are more likely to be highly evolved. Tectonically, although the crustal and mantle layers tend to be silica rich, constant recycling and active tectonism lead to heavy elements being brought to the surface or close to the surface where hydrological processes can lead to a vast number of easily minable ores enriched in certain elements. Earth type worlds tend to be of similar age, involve variable land masses that cover about one third of the planets surface leaving the other two thirds for immense ocean bodies that act as the power source for the planet's unique and highly varied weather system.

Because the high level of variety on earth-type worlds, they are generally commodity rich and despite popular myth are some of the most resiliant planet types environmentally, with numerous physical, chemical and biological processes. these often absorb any preliminary attempts at climate change and terraforming as well as resisting the introducition of pollutants. These worlds are however, known for unstable environment conditions over geologically short periods (read: millions of years) and the dynamic worlds can have detrimental effects on man-made structures as said processes from eariler try to incorporate the materials used.

Population rate: 6,000
Raw Materials: 400

Mars World - Planets similar to the Mars of the Sol system, these worlds are more or less failed earth worlds. These kinds of planets share the same early history of active tectonism, atmosphere building, oceans and even life but unlike earth-types, mars-type worlds could not sustain a strong enough magnetic field and over an extended period of time the atmosphere became depleted as the early gas building processes slowed down. The result is a highly variable topography that is completely lifeless, dominanted by large scale mountains and canyons that pan into widespread desert plains of permafrost. The harsh extremes in cold combined with a very thin atmosphere are unsuitable for life but are still enough to keep now unrestricted wind storms flowing. Oxidised dust from billions of years of uninterrupted wind erosion give the planets their characteritic red colour from space but generally the surface is more akin to non-ice covered polar sections of antartica with oxidising weathering processes having halted a long time ago.

Although virtually unihabitable, earlier geologic processes are responsible for numerous ore desposits. With the planet now techinically dead, mars-type worlds are easy places to setup long lasting mining facilities.

Population Rate: 2,000
Raw Materials: 600

Jungle World - Jungle Worlds are very similar to Earth-type worlds and possibly given another couple hundred million years or so will naturally evolve into one. Essentially, Jungle Worlds are earth worlds that are presently experiencing a general drastic increase in overall climatic temperatures that results in greater weather extremes and increased overall humidity. Rainforest-type environments thrive in these conditions and as such predominantly cover any land surface of a jungle-type world (hence the name). Active tectonism combined with hydrological processes provide abundant enriched ores, and the local plant life make for excellent building material. Violent tropical storms and cyclones tend to be a problem however, and the dense vegetation takes time to clear, limiting population growth.

Population Rate: 4,500
Raw Materials: 450

Ocean World - Ocean-type worlds are planets completely covered in surface water. It is not clearly known how such worlds can form naturally since the vast endless ocean makes it extremely difficult to obtain geological samples, but it is theorised that continued overall increase in climatic temperature caused a form of rapid glacial melting that complelety flooded the landscape, although another theory is simply that atmospheric water production during the planets early formation was drastically increased for some reason. Whatever the process, the result is a endless pristine blue ocean that is abundant in marine life, blanketed by a comfortable atmosphere and warmed by active tectonism that very rarely breaches the ocean surface. These types of planets are favoured as tourist desinations, but anything beyond simple floating accomodation is difficult to establish and although the planet is rich in heavy elements, most if not all ore bodies are only accessible by complicated and expensive deep water mining operations.

Population Rate: 5,500

Volcanic World - These types of planets are very young as far as planets are concerned, with formation of the crust only just nearing completion. Although these types of worlds are heaven for research geologists, they are very much the real life construction of the hell described so advertently in biblical scriptures. The extremely high level of volcanism gives the ash ridden surface an eerie red glow as numerous lave flows cross the landscape while the sulfur-enriched ash clouds block out virtually all sun light. The atmosphere is still under construction and is hence poisonous and anoxic making the planet inhospital and although the planet does not possess appropriate hydrological processes to enrich very heavy elements, the relative young age of the mantle below leads to the development of abundant magma chambers with a higher enrichment in mafic elements (iron, magnesium, titanium, aluminum, etc) than most other planet types.

Raw Materials: 750

Desert World - There are actually two main types of desert worlds - the first are ancient worlds that have all what little surface water they started off with locked up in polar glaciers and the atmosphere (or have lost it by some other means) and due to there old age have been subjected to long term weathering processes. These desert planets are overall very flat and are characterised by a strong 'rust' coloured surface due to the extended periods of oxidation. The other main type are worlds that used to be water-rich, but have since lost most of their moisture and are generally the result of some form of man made ecological disaster. As such this type of desert world has not undergone geologically long periods of weathering and generally retains topography from when the world was a water-rich paradise. In rare cases when the parent world was an ocean world, it is possible to find large deposits of titanium-rich 'heavy sands' which is rare on other worlds. A geologically active past means resources are abundant, planets with a past of hydrological activity are also likely to contain enriched ores of heavy elements although finding them under all that sand is damn near impossible.

Raw Materials: 500

Gas World - Hydrogen and Helium gases are THE most abundant forms of matter in the universe and as such where ever there is a planetary system there is normally gas worlds.

However, with humanities violent past in this sector and the history of energy-hungry war machines that spawned from the violence, gas worlds are now fairly rare having been consumed in our quest to kill each other. Neverless, gas worlds form during the early stages of system formation. At this time, the central star is in the final stages of development and is the source of incredibly powerful solar winds. These winds drive most of the gaseous material away from the centre of the system towards the outer reaches where is clumps together to form massive gas giants. If it was not for this process all planets would be gas worlds.

In recent times it has been shown that while larger gas worlds have a rocky, iron-rich core, smaller ones do not and when depleted disappear entirely. These planets are 'colonised' through orbital constructs, an expensive process of building ever expanding, monolithic commonities of floating cities.

(Note - many systems on the eastern fringe were found to never really many gas worlds to start off with and it is theorised that the nearby gas cloud may have been where all the vented gas has accumilated.)

Raw Materials: 700

Swamp Worlds - Like jungle worlds, swamp worlds are really earth worlds but at a different stage of the climatic cycle between icehouse and greenhouse climates. Swamp worlds tend to have a more broken up land mass than jungle worlds and the land is choked by waterlogged swamp environments (hence the name). Swamp worlds are warmer overall than jungle worlds, and are considerly more humid but life tends to be more primative. Living on a swamp-type world is uncomfortable at best, and the lack of consolidated ground makes mining and building operations difficult.

Population Rate: 4,000

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!

Last edited by Hewitt; 29 Apr 2005 at 03:50.
Unread 29 Apr 2005, 16:24   #682
No Dachi

I'm not sure I like the idea of Gas Planets having been "consumed" somehow. Can we just push their infrequency into the "Game Unrealisms" box? Couldn't a Desert World (in the sense of dry, hot) originate simply from proximity to the system's star?

Liking the others, though.

Unread 29 Apr 2005, 18:22   #683
Wo2
The Janitor!

Wo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to behold

Could I ask how everone went from turn 3 on page 12 to turn 5 now and I magicaly got left behind? Not to mention turn 4 seems non-existence...

Edit:Sigh... never mind, I just checked the other forums and it turns out you all were playing for a little longer than I had thought, so I guess I'm up a creek in terms of turns.

Last edited by Wo2; 29 Apr 2005 at 18:36.
Wo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2005, 18:35   #684
Killer-of-Lawye
ensign

Gas Giants have a carbon rich core., they'd be impossible to strip mine by humans in the time frames given.

Best bet for barren worlds are ice balls. The problem is that out here in the arms, we don't have many old systems. Essentialy, for the description listed to work, they'd have to be systems orbiting around dwarfs or Red Giants or lost in Novas.
Unread 29 Apr 2005, 18:39   #685
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to behold

I have arrived

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Ghetto Master Ellis says:
Heil Crazy!
Crazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2005, 18:57   #686
Wo2
The Janitor!

YAY \o/

Not to make you feel unwelcome but I need some backlogged bugdet before i can get into the game. Want me to PM my last entry?
Unread 29 Apr 2005, 22:52   #687
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyboy
I have arrived

*Bows down for t3h Cr4zy...
Unread 30 Apr 2005, 00:33   #688
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

Quote:
I have arrived

"Oh Goody"
Unread 30 Apr 2005, 01:56   #689
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Quote:
I'm not sure I like the idea of Gas Planets having been "consumed" somehow. Can we just push their infrequency into the "Game Unrealisms" box? Couldn't a Desert World (in the sense of dry, hot) originate simply from proximity to the system's star?

Liking the others, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer-of-Lawye
Gas Giants have a carbon rich core., they'd be impossible to strip mine by humans in the time frames given.

Best bet for barren worlds are ice balls. The problem is that out here in the arms, we don't have many old systems. Essentialy, for the description listed to work, they'd have to be systems orbiting around dwarfs or Red Giants or lost in Novas.
That's a big ass 'unreality', which is why I tried to explain it somewhat by suggesting consumption and the class 3 nav hazard gas cloud... meh.

Kol you are correct in regards to the barren worlds, I didn't actually think of that funnily enough . With the gas giants, if you have some kind of link to information regarding core composition I would be most interested since at present I have virtually no knowledge of what goes on down there - I had made the assumption that the outer planets had come together in a similar fashion of the inner planets at first and then became 'gas' enriched during the extended period of solar winds that pushed the hydrogen and helium elements towards the outer reaches of the system. I also based this assumption on the fact that ND has the planet Uranus - which in reality is a gas giant - listed as a rock world.

With the desert worlds worlds, proximity to the sun would be a major cause for a lack in moisture I guess... and I suppose 'cold' desert worlds are really classified as mars worlds in this thread.

And just a small note about the barren worlds, it could be possible that the first classification I gave could explain the compostion of some barren worlds if those barren worlds were captured asteroids or planets blown clear from the centre of the galaxy when their old systems died and have subsiquently become re-incorporated into newer systems in the outer arm (the universe is roughly 12 to 15 billion years old, our solar system is around 5 billion years old... 2 to 5 billion years should be long enough for a planetry mass to travel from the centre to the outer rim shouldn't it?).

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 1 May 2005, 16:49   #690
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to behold

Turn 5:

Planet Name: Elyssium (Karlak VI)
Planet Type: Earth World
Planet Size: Medium (3)
Planet Government: Constitutional Monarchy (A/L 5)

Population: 49,000
Population Rate: 6,000
Population in Industry: 25,000
Population in Private Sector: 9,800 (20%)
Population in Government Work: 8,230
Unemployed Population: 5,970

Base Income: 400RM
Planet Size Factor: 3
Industrial Base: 2.5
Total RM Income: 3,000M
Industry Upgrade: 600RM

Tax Rate: 3
System Size: 3
Number of Linked Systems: 4
Size of Linked Systems: 2/2/2/2

Trade Income: $41,472
Tax Income: $147,060
Total Income: $214,926

Stockpiles:
RM: 1,240 (-1,120)
$$$: $348,966 (-7,074)

Buildings:

Colony Hub
4x Schools - 400P
4x Libraries – 500P
2x Colleges – 1,500P
2x Park – 100P

Hospital - 600P
Fire Station - 400P
Police Station - 600P

Barracks - 500P
Basic Shipyard - 2000P

Basic Sensor Array - 60P

Procurement:

2x Makaria Class Frigates - 4120RM, $222,000, 410P
Units:
1x Makaria Class Frigate - 205P

1x Eris Class Gunboat - 115P
- 2x Military Construction Team - 80P

4x Acheron Gun Corvettes - 80P
4x Achos Strike Corvettes - 80P

1x Freighter - 10P

Planetary Garrison:

10x Heavy Infantry – 1,000P

- - - - - - - - - - -

Planet Name: Acropolis (Karlak VII)
Planet Type: Rock World
Planet Size: Large (4)
Planet Government: Colony

Population: 21,000
Population in Industry: 10,000
Population in Private Sector: 4,200 (20%)
Population in Government Work: 2,075
Population Unemployed: 4,725

Base Income: 800RM
Planet Size Factor: 4
Industry Base: 1
Total RM Income: 3,200RM
Upgrade Cost: 640RM

Tax Rate: 3
Tax Income: $53,460
Trade Income: $82,944
Total Income: $155,501

Stockpiles:
RM: 3,000RM
$$$: 10,501

Buildings:

Colony hub

School - 100P
Library - 125P
College - 750P

Police Station - 600P

Commercial Docks - 500P

Procurement:

1x School – 200RM, $25,000, 100P
1x Library – 200RM, $40,000, 125P
1x Basic Sensor Array – 200RM, $30,000, 60P
1x Barracks – 800RM, $50,000, 500P

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Unit Class:
Acheron Class Gun Corvette (2x Point-Defence Lasers, 2x 381mm Railguns, Advanced Sensor Array) (850RM, £44,000, 45P)
Achos Class Strike Corvette (4x 381mm Railguns) (700RM, $29,000, 40P)

Eris Class Gunboat (2x 40mm Miniguns, 2x Medium HE Missile Launchers, 4x 381mm Railguns, Transport Pod, Cargo Pod) (1,5080RM, $75,500, 115P)

Makaria Class Frigate (2x 40mm Miniguns, 4x Medium HE Missile Launchers, 2x 381mm Railguns, Advanced Sensor Array, Extra Armour Plating) (2060RM, $111,000, 205P)

Research

Researching:

Civic – Advanced Colonial Administration
Civic – Religious Facilities
Science – Advanced Fusion Drives
Science – Finial Silicon Computer Systems
Warfare – Basic Planetary Defence
Warfare - Enlarged Capital Ship Chassis Design (5/6)

Completed:

Warfare - Double Hulled Ships, Basic 0-G Weaponry, Planetary Assault Doctrine, Adapted 0-G Missile Weaponry, Atmospheric Aircraft, Heavier Mass Drivers, Economics – Interstellar Trade Management, Trading Ships, Advanced Industrial Manufacture, Mining Ships, Interstellar Passenger Industry, Interstellar Liner Industry
Science – Advanced Computer Systems, Advanced Sensor Waves, Superpowered Electromagnets, Advanced Robotics, Advanced Fusion Drives,
Civics - Basic Biodomes, Recreational Facilities, Research Facilities

- - - - - - - - -

*Prods Hewitt with the Might Hammer of Smityness*

That Escort Destroyer you are soo drooling over will have to wait anotehr turn before its construction I'm afriad. Can't build it in the same turn as its shipyard tahts needed for it.

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 1 May 2005, 17:28   #691
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Quote:
Turn 5:
- - - - - - - - -

*Prods Hewitt with the Might Hammer of Smityness*

That Escort Destroyer you are soo drooling over will have to wait anotehr turn before its construction I'm afriad. Can't build it in the same turn as its shipyard tahts needed for it.
Hence why it's marked as UNDER CONSTRUCTION smart ass.

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 1 May 2005, 19:31   #692
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Why is it under 'procurement' with all the other things you are building this turn then ?

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 2 May 2005, 03:24   #693
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Because there is no where else to put it and I need it up there early because I'm going to use it's completion as a kind of PR op at the end of the conference to show off how nifty I am.

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 2 May 2005, 16:41   #694
Killer-of-Lawye
ensign

Yes. I can see the PR now. "We've built a really big ship that we can't utilize fully with out technological base. Worship us."

Nor do you have the tech it seems.
Unread 3 May 2005, 00:03   #695
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt
Completed

Warfare - Double Hulled Ships, Enlarged Capital Ship Chasis Design, Improved Space Fighter Vessels, Space Bombers, Planetary Assault Doctrine, Light Armor, Atmospheric Aircraft, 0-G Missile Weaponry, Adapted 0-G Missile Weaponry, Heavier Mass Drivers, Basic Planetary Defenses, Reinforced Hull Armour

Economics - Interstellar Trade Management, Trading Ships, Advanced Industrial Manufacture, Mining Ships, Interstellar Passenger Industry, Interstellar Liner Industry

Science - Advanced Computer Systems, Advanced Robotics, Superpowered Electromagnets, Advanced Sensor Waves, Advanced Fusion Drives

Civics - Basic Biodomes, Research Facilities, Recreational Facilities, Advanced Colonial Administration
Is there anything else you guys wanna try and nail me on or can I tell you all to bugger off now?

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!

Last edited by Hewitt; 3 May 2005 at 01:41.
Unread 3 May 2005, 07:35   #696
Killer-of-Lawye
ensign

Sorry. Was looking at Crazy's budget. Still, you can't build over two turns. That's silly. Just build it when you can pay for it.
Unread 3 May 2005, 11:44   #697
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Np, and yeah I know... at the time I originally worked out that turn's budget I was so proud of myself of getting the resources and facilities to build that thing that I was feeling boastful... meh. It's a good thing I did however, because by now I would've forgotten the design... consider it a resource place holder so I don't have to write it up next turn.

Now all of you bugger off.

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 7 May 2005, 13:06   #698
No Dachi

Progress Report
Work is gradual but ongoing, exam season is constricting my free time. Nonetheless:

-Hewitt, as you can all see, has completed the new planet descriptions, and a new planet type will be introduced shortly on his reccomendation.
-I've figured out a few events that will be making themselves apparent pretty soon.
-I have added a few more techs to the Tier 2 tree, which is now about two thirds complete.
-I have continued pondering on the Colonial Question and have made some progress in resolving it.

Unread 7 May 2005, 22:19   #699
mrmao
oh...sexy...

what about my order of cherry pie?
Unread 8 May 2005, 08:55   #700
No Dachi

I gave it to Crazy to deal with, I don't know where he's gone