User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Sep 2004, 13:27   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Troops storm Russian school

A shitty, but not unsurprising (given Russia's track record) end to the crisis.
Except it's not over, there has been gunfire and explosions for the best part of 3 hours, and i don't like to think of how many hostages are dead this time.
Latest reports are that 250 are wounded. Previous Russian estimates of total hostages are look drasticly underestimated as freed hostages talk of up to 1,500 people being held - far above the previously reported 350.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3624136.stm - latest events
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3624024.stm - news story
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/live/now1.ram - live coverage
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 13:50   #2
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about
Re: Troops storm Russian school

thats really shit

russians again show themselves to be devoid of any political abilities whatsoever.
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 13:56   #3
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

To be honest, a nation that delt with attacks on its troops by leveling Grozny, the capital of Chechnya, are hardly going to sit around and 'negotiate' for long.

Lets hope not too many kids paid the price for living in this region.
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 13:58   #4
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

I like their take no shit attitude. How can you reason with people who take children hostage and have already killed? The chechen menace must be met full on.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 14:03   #5
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Menace? They wanted independance and russia rolled in with tank and all guns blazing. Wiped out towns, villages and scores of civilians.

If that had happened during the cold war (like it did in Hungary)then the world would have rallied around Chechnya, praising their thirst for independance from autocratic rule.

You go in a fk up a country with devout muslim ideals and this is what you get.
Didn't they learn from Afganistan?
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 14:10   #6
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTester
I like their take no shit attitude. How can you reason with people who take children hostage and have already killed? The chechen menace must be met full on.
Your right. However, by taking children they are showing they have no emotion and they don't care about loosing there lives.

Surely if you know someone is there to die you handle it appropriately? Not go in all guns blazing?
Proud to be Independent
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 14:11   #7
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Apparently what happened is some hostages tried to escape and got shot at so the military rushed in.
The hostages had been without food or water for 48 hours already. According to one correspondent they were drinking their own urine.
Not exactly a nice situation or one that they could afford to leave much longer.

They've actually mined the school so a lot of hostages are getting blown up as they're escaping.

The death toll doesn't seem too high at the moment. A lot of people are seriously injured of course.

At least it seems to have gone better than the notorious theatre incident not too far in the past.

EDIT 13 militants are on the run.
310 wounded.
the roof of the school has collapsed killing dozens more.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 14:13   #8
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste

At least it seems to have gone better than the notorious theatre incident not too far in the past.
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...211973,00.html

sure on that ?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 14:16   #9
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The BBC says dozens of bodies in the gym...
129 out of 800 died in the theatre.

EDIT more than 400 hospitalised now.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 14:17   #10
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

sky news says 100 dead, and knowing the russians its twice that at least

Quote:
A 'large number of bodies' have been found in the siege school's burned out gym.
A Russian cameraman has estimated there were about 100 dead after commandos stormed the Russian siege school. And more than 300 are said to have been injured.
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1090107.html?menu=
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 14:26   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My little BBC breaking news alert monitor just popped up saying "Reports of 100+ dead in Russian seige school gym. More soon."

This is looking worse than the theatre already...
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 14:33   #12
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

The russians seemed to lie about the numbers involved (as usual)

If it was in the 1500+ region, then there will be some serious casualties.

After all, there were "only 200~" people in the theater when it was siezed, which turned into 800+ later on when proper reports came out.

Crazy shit though. Can't really take it in :/
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 14:51   #13
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Troops storm Russian school

Quote:
The chechen menace must be met full on.
Russia has followed pretty much that exact strategy for the last ten years and I dont' see much success.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 15:07   #14
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

there was hardly anything else the russians could have done, was there?
what else could they do? retreat from chechnya? free prisoners? they would have had another hostage situation within weeks.
the chechens on the other hand dont have much of a choice either. if they dont want to give up their goal the only possible method they have is terrorism, because they simply dont have the resources to face the russian army. they can only hope to cause enough chaos so that one day the public in russia just want to get out of there because its not worth it. the more cruel and evil their attacks are the better for their cause.

pretty ****ed up situation, just like in israel. im not trying to defend either side, thats just what the situation looks like to me.
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 15:08   #15
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

I'm not sure how I'd deal with such barbarians. They should have left the rebels alive, captured them, and then let the children and their parents beat the shit out of them.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 15:11   #16
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As far as I'm aware, the Russians were reacting to events within the building.

Ultimately, if the terrorists were not prepared to negotiate an end to the situation - which I find highly unlikely - then the Russians had little choice other than going in.
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 15:11   #17
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

nice solution LHC, piss off more chechens so they do it again.
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 15:13   #18
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

we should have sent those russians troups to fight those al sadr guys.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 15:34   #19
Rumad
th0ng gimp

trouble is the russians always over react.

Sure there was gun fire and some explosions, but in such delicate situations I really doubt that storming the building is the best solution.

You always have a decent chance of talking these people out of there planned action. Storming in a unorganised way will alwyas lead to a bloody massacre.

I wouldn't like to be the commander in charge - how would you explain that to the people who lost there children?
Proud to be Independent
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 15:36   #20
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumad
Sure there was gun fire and some explosions, but in such delicate situations I really doubt that storming the building is the best solution.
What other possible solution could there have been? If the people inside had limited demands, then I would consider storming the place a serious overeaction. But as it is, I don't see any other way of ending it.
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 15:45   #21
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
What other possible solution could there have been? If the people inside had limited demands, then I would consider storming the place a serious overeaction. But as it is, I don't see any other way of ending it.
My thoughts exactly. Still, I wish there could have been a more successful outcome.
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 16:16   #22
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

quite franly, from the reports so far, i dont think that the terrorists knew what they wanted very well, so it was pretty much bound to go this way sooner or later
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 16:33   #23
Ste
Bored

More than 150 dead.

Ok, it is worse.

Unread 3 Sep 2004, 16:43   #24
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Also, the majority of those will be kids.
This sucks.

Apparently they've got a few of the rebels holed up in a house, and others surrounded in the school basement. There are conflicting reports that some hostages are still being held.

Sucky.
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 16:57   #25
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Do you really think the russians had effective negotiators at the incident?

I doubt it very much. They went there to die and when someone is so hell bent on death sometimes the only thing you can do is talk.

Some had died in explosions, but I really don't think going in guns blazing is best policy. They would have done better pelting the building with sleeping gas. by the sounds of it the chechens there really wanted to die. You can tell that by the fact that they went to a open street battle
Proud to be Independent
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 17:14   #26
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:
Russia has followed pretty much that exact strategy for the last ten years and I dont' see much success.

Chechnya isnt independant is it?
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 17:26   #27
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road

Quote:
your title pretty much covers it
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 17:38   #28
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

the checnia drama began when boris yeltsin ordered in a drunk mood to attack it full force.

what comes around goes around
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 17:38   #29
Event_Horizon
7H4 B4R73ND3R

Event_Horizon is an unknown quantity at this point

Why doesn't Russia just give Chechnya their freedom and be done with it?
Sorry for the noob question but I do not know much about this issue...

The Last Ride of Stephen Whatley and His Immortals
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 17:40   #30
CrashTester
I am an idiot

and have another mad muslim nation? no thanks!
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 17:48   #31
Event_Horizon
7H4 B4R73ND3R

Event_Horizon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
and have another mad muslim nation? no thanks!
Well currently they are mad becuase they don't have their own nation. If given their own nation they will probably be muslim but not necessarily mad. I was looking for a more informed answer.

The Last Ride of Stephen Whatley and His Immortals
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 18:07   #32
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

Chechnya is part of Russia and has been for centuries, that's why.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 18:13   #33
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

Also, giving Chechnya independence would be the stupidest thing the Russians could possibly do, as despite the breakup of the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation remains a hotch-potch of regional identities, especially in southern/Muslim regions. Chechnyan independence would cause nationalism to rise in these areas and could potentially lead to the breakup of the Russian Federation.
Additionally, any capitulation now would vindicate the methods of Terrorists.
Finally, most Chechens don't desire independence, afaik.
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 18:15   #34
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nondescript Human
Also, giving Chechnya independence would be the stupidest thing the Russians could possibly do, as despite the breakup of the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation remains a hotch-potch of regional identities, especially in southern/Muslim regions. Chechnyan independence would cause nationalism to rise in these areas and could potentially lead to the breakup of the Russian Federation.
So?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 18:15   #35
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Event_Horizon
its called russian federation for a reason. if they give in now sooner or later the whole country will fall apart. that would make the middle east look like a stable region by comparison and noone could possibly want that (with all the nukes and stuff laying around).
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 18:23   #36
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Finally, most Chechens don't desire independence, afaik.
What are you basing this on? Seriously, I've never seen any polls or surveys or anything on what the Chechens want.
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 18:24   #37
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
So?
Shocking as it may be, the leaders of Russia don't want Russia to collapse.
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 18:28   #38
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
What are you basing this on? Seriously, I've never seen any polls or surveys or anything on what the Chechens want.
http://www.ceip.org/files/publicatio...00953dv01.html

August 2003 Poll: Do Chechens Want to Secede?

Chechnya should be part of Russia: 78%*
Chechnya should be independent: 19%

*Among the percentage of Chechens who think Chechnya should be part of Russia, 61% believe Chechnya should have more autonomy than any other part of the Russian Federation.

Original source: http://www.validata.ru/e_e/chechnya/
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 18:30   #39
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Event_Horizon

Not much sure about the political position outside of this incident, but, if they give in to terrorists demands on this, terrorists all over the world will start storming schools.

Fact is, as soon as they went and they knew they would die, and so always a high death toll. All Special Forces could do is minimise deaths (though from what uve seen they fked up repeatedly).
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 18:31   #40
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Shocking as it may be, the leaders of Russia don't want Russia to collapse.
Why is that obvious? We seem to be happy enough with devolution in the UK when people feel they have seperate nationalities.
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 18:34   #41
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Why is that obvious? We seem to be happy enough with devolution in the UK when people feel they have seperate nationalities.
I thought we agreed that the nation-state was an outmoded paradigm

Or was that just me?

PS Ta NH

PPS You need a catchier nickname

(Note to self: Use less smilies)
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 18:39   #42
queball
Ball

That brief is a pretty good explanation.

PS. The paradigm is an outmoded paradigm.
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 18:41   #43
JonnyBGood
Banned

We need to revolutionise our lateral thinking from the ground up in order to better conceptualise the scenario from the correct supra-perspective. I'm disappointed you have failed to recognise this underlying truth qbll.
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 18:44   #44
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
No-one has any real political control in Chechnya. The Russian strategy up to this point has failed on every concievable level. It has not brought Chechnya stability and prosperity either as a part of The Russian Federation, or as an independent republic; furthermore, it has bred a culture of extremism and violence within Chechnya which has impacted to the most grave extent upon ordinary Russian lives.

Quote:
Also, giving Chechnya independence would be the stupidest thing the Russians could possibly do, as despite the breakup of the Soviet Union, the Russian Federation remains a hotch-potch of regional identities,
I'm not sure what effect Chechnya going independent would have now.

Certainly, ten years ago, Russia (and the other former Soviet republics.) was much less stable, and there was a very real possiblity that if the Russians simply gave in to Chechen independence, then many of the other ethnically non-Russian areas might follow suit - which is why the Russians were so insistent about pursuing the conflict to destruction.

Now though, this is much less sure. The whole world can view what an inglorious mess Chechnya is at the present moment, and even if it did gain independence now, then it's hardly certain that any of the other, less integrated parts of Russia would immediately think that following the Chechen example would be a good thing.

Either way, Russia is more or less commited now, and it's fairly academic to speculate.

Quote:
So?
You're either incredibly naive or you didn't think through what he said sufficently. Think something approximating the breakup of Yugoslavia, with all the attendent bloodshed, violence, and instability, but over a largely continental expanse. And then throw the possiblity of nuclear weapons into the equation.

Serious instability in Russia is not something that is desirable, on any level; possibly why the west has in the past turned such a political blind eye to the goings on in Checnhya.

Last edited by Marilyn Manson; 3 Sep 2004 at 18:49.
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 18:50   #45
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
PPS You need a catchier nickname
I beg to differ
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 19:44   #46
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

I support their tactics in this situation, where as I may not agree with the events that have placed them in this situation. They have always had a 'take no shit' attitude, and its heartening to see that they can continue to adopt this even given the horrific situation they were forced into.
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 20:00   #47
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Bodycount now in excess of 150 , injured toll well in excess of 600. Some terrorists still fighting and still with hostages. Total confusion with the news reporting that
  • The whole thing happened because one of the terrorists accidentally dropped a bomb (why does that feel so AYB saying that?)
  • Some kids escaped, the terrorists tried shooting them and then detonated all their bombs in a kneejerk reaction
  • The Russians went in mob handed and had higher than expected casualties

BTW , regardless of the bodycount, Putin will ride this out, as this is precisely the ending he wanted, as it gives him an excuse now to absoloutely exterminate the Chechnyans.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 20:08   #48
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
BTW , regardless of the bodycount, Putin will ride this out, as this is precisely the ending he wanted, as it gives him an excuse now to absoloutely exterminate the Chechnyans.
Unlikely. If anything this increases pressure on Putin to actually focus on a political solution to the problem rather than the largely military one which has been pursued up to this point.

If Putin had wanted a jusification to further brutalise the situation (Which foreign and internal opinion would be opposed to.) then he would have done it after the theatre debaclé or when Akhmad Kadyrov was assasinated, anyway.

Last edited by Marilyn Manson; 3 Sep 2004 at 20:28.
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 22:46   #49
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

All people are saying that are Putin should be sacked / un elected as president

but who replaces him?

tbh he handled it awfully, and russia shld have withdrew from chec. several years ago, but no they dont.
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 23:23   #50
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
but who replaces him?
ZHIRINIOVSKY!