User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 16 May 2003, 13:38   #1
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
A Request for Help...

hiyas

I have finally decided to bite the bullet and design some unit matricies for my ship stats (most recent version that is uploaded is at: http://home.iprimus.com.au/rourkek/Production46.html ).

As i am simply a formula junkie and not a mathmatician (i am actually failing my maths at school, though i am getting A's & B's in all my other subjects... go figure :\) Would it be possible for somone / many people to give the following formulae:

1) A Formula that displays how many resources of attacker it takes to kill 1 resource of defender using conventional weapons.

2) A Formula that displays how many resources of attacker it takes to kill 1 resource of defender using EMP weapons.

The help will be muchly appreciated, and you get to have your name plastered on a webpage that only the crew in #strategy get to see :P

thanks for you time,
UN :P

[Edit: crtl + c & v is bad when you want two different questions :\ ]
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2003, 13:49   #2
HRS
TFD forever

HRS is an unknown quantity at this point
what kind of stats are that anyway?

<mpr0733> never underestimate the speed of a fryingdutch thread spammer

<Zapman> ja ik wil hrs stalken, natuurlijk, logisch
HRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2003, 14:06   #3
SpazMonster
No, really...

SpazMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
If I'm really bored at work today and not working on much else I'll figure it out for ya if someone else doesn't by the time I have the time to
Unread 16 May 2003, 14:23   #4
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by HRS
what kind of stats are that anyway?
They were proposed R7/8/9/10 stats. but they obviously werent good enough.

R10 stats have to be really l337 imo...
Unread 16 May 2003, 14:56   #5
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: A Request for Help...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Newbie
hiyas

I have finally decided to bite the bullet and design some unit matricies for my ship stats (most recent version that is uploaded is at: http://home.iprimus.com.au/rourkek/Production46.html ).

As i am simply a formula junkie and not a mathmatician (i am actually failing my maths at school, though i am getting A's & B's in all my other subjects... go figure :\) Would it be possible for somone / many people to give the following formulae:

1) A Formula that displays how many resources of attacker it takes to kill 1 resource of defender using conventional weapons.
Let wts be the weapon targeting speed of the attacking unit.
Let agility be the agility of the defending unit.
Let armor be the defending unit's armor.
Let power be the gun power of the attacking unit.
Let hitprob be the probability of an attacking shot hitting the defending unit.
Let hts2kll be the number of successful shots required to kill the defending unit (on average).
Let shts2kl be the total number of shots (counting hits and misses) to kill the defending unit (on average).
Let ships be the total number of ships required to kill the defending unit (on average).

Code:
hitprob = (25.0 + wts - agility) / 100.0
hts2kll = ceil(armor / power)
shts2kl = ceil(hts2kll / hitprob);
ships   = shts2kl / guns;

Note: the ceil function takes the ceiling of a number; that is, the smallest integer greater than or equal to the number.
This gives you how many attacking ship(s) to kill 1 defending ship, on average (e.g., 1.75 attacking ships to kill 1 defending ship).

From there, you can calculate costs. If you want the cost to kill 1 ship, then multiply ships by their cost (e.g., 1.75 ships times 4000 resources yields 7000 resources per kill). If you want to normalize by resources, then divide that by the cost of the defending ship (e.g., if each defending ship costs 2000 resources then 7000/2000 = 3.5 attacking resources required to kill 1 defending resource).
Quote:
2) A Formula that displays how many resources of attacker it takes to kill 1 resource of defender using EMP weapons.
I presume you mean freeze? EMP is much easier:

Let empr be the EMP resistance of the defending ship.
Let guns be the number of EMP guns on the attacking ship.
Code:
ships = (100.0 / (100.0 - empr)) / guns
This gives you the number of ships to freeze 1 defending ship, on average (typically, this will be less than 1--e.g., 0.4 ships needed to freeze 1 ship). From there, proceed as above.

You can see some coded examples (in C) in my unit table generator:

http://www.geocities.com/Tactitus2000/PA/tables.c
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2003, 15:24   #6
Evil_Fear
Legion Peon

Evil_Fear is an unknown quantity at this point
Never thought to see this post from UN. Another Illusion gone I guess.

------------------------
Round 3: 74:7:9 TSU
Round 4: 86:22:15 Unknown
Round 5: 15:5:19 Elysium until kicked
Round 6: 11:9:14 Legion gal
Round 7: 24:20:7 Legion
Round 8: can't remember VIRUS
Round 9: 16:4:8 VIRUS (Retalion BG leader)
Round 9.5: 16:3:5 VIRUS (Retalion BG leader)
Round 10: 14:8:8 VIRUS Officer (Retalion BG leader)
Evil_Fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2003, 16:54   #7
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Evil_Fear
he doesn't use that board nick for nothing...
Unread 17 May 2003, 00:14   #8
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Re: Re: A Request for Help...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
conventional formula

Rightio, as i am using excell i have to merge those steps but that's cool - thanks tac mate. (anyway, i thought the razor wire around your retirement home was meant to keep you in mate )

Quote:
I presume you mean freeze? EMP is much easier:
its nice to know that i got something right at least .

thanks tac for your comprehensive (as always ) answer .

Quote:
Originally posted by Evil_Fear
Mate, i have 3600 cells to fill, and i want my matricies to be correct - there would be ablsolutely no point in doing a matrix if it was wrong, would it?

and i couldnt be arsed to do them 3 or four times just for the sake of point-and-click :\

Last edited by Ultimate Newbie; 17 May 2003 at 00:21.
Unread 18 May 2003, 02:23   #9
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

As i am doing these calculations in Excel, i have to mkae them all once line (thus heaps of brackets).

I've done all the EMP calculations (\o/ etc) usign this formula:

=((((100/(100-EMPres))/#guns)*AttackerResCost)/DefenderResCost)

I think the conventional weapons can wait till next weekend :P
Unread 18 May 2003, 12:58   #10
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Re: Re: Re: A Request for Help...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Newbie
i thought the razor wire around your retirement home was meant to keep you in mate ) [/b]
We let him out on parole once/round. We're not inhumane.