User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Mar 2003, 05:39   #1
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
1000+ members?

From Manual:

"Luckily, you are not alone in your galaxy, you have a galactic politics board and inter-galaxy cooperation is vital to survival. Galaxies fight one another, some galaxies team up against other common enemies. Some large alliances span 100s of players and planets, the biggest has had over 1000 at their prime."

Just wondering since my pre rnd 4knowlege is poor, which alliance was this? Was there really 1000 active or more a kind of snowball effect at signup?

Also who was this?
"You should expect that a few alliances will rise above the rest, ruling with terror and ruthlessness. "

They need spanked.

heh [/fullstop]
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 06:07   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
It's probably referring to blocks.

Or just making it up.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 06:15   #3
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think a block has ever surpassed the 1k mark...

The manual writers were probably going on their 40th hour without sleep when they wrote this part.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 06:25   #4
AlbinoSquirrel
power of evil

AlbinoSquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Blue Tuba, you fools.

Their R2 "count" was over a thousand before the Great War. I don't know what their official count was, but I believe the numbers were around 1200. Of course, the vast majority were tag-leeches and inactives - they collapsed into a much smaller, quite good core of players within days (hello TNG).

Now, cue for Lok or Pat or McIvan to come fill in the gaps...the most I remember of Tuba back then was how much fun it was to wipe them out

Ω
AlbinoSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 06:30   #5
Axis_WLF

Axis_WLF is an unknown quantity at this point
ya 1237 i think BlueTuba r2 and 17 NAPS!!!!! not only were they huge in member base but they allied/napped with the universe thus eliminating 90% of the targets.
r2 9:23:1 Axis_WLF of Kadan : Blluetuba/Legion
r3 6:24:1 Axis_WLF of kadan : Legion/WolfPack
r4 201:15:1 Octavian of Ostia : Wolfpack
r5 13:6:2 Sun Tzu of Art of War : Legion Command
r6 33:13:?? : Legion Command
r7 15:19:12 Unknown soldier run over by a wagon : Legion Command
R8: 28:8:9 Niccolo Machiavelli of Revera Legatus : TITAN COMMAND BC
R12 ??:??:?? 1up Military Officer
Axis_WLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 07:01   #6
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
I thought that might be what the manual was referring to, but then thought it was too far back and questionably relevant for them to bring up :/

(they make it sound like a super-alliance of 1k active, ruthless players all working together)

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 07:44   #7
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
I thought that might be what the manual was referring to, but then thought it was too far back and questionably relevant for them to bring up :/

(they make it sound like a super-alliance of 1k active, ruthless players all working together)
and now its 3 or 4k players in total in the universe?
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 08:37   #8
Cochese
Retired

I've seen user ID's as high as 5600 something...but I don't know if that relates to actual planet numbers.

3-4k is probably a safe bet, yes.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 09:59   #9
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold
Even the, at that time (r2) not so established, Xanadu alliance (UXF, or was it during XFA days??) had around 800 members
Anyway, only like 200 of them were active in the alliance. Probably even less.

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 12:42   #10
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Fury in round 7 had over 1000 players, scan planets, farms and attack partners.

(kidding)
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 13:37   #11
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Ahriman is an unknown quantity at this point
...I would have thought it was completely obvious from the outset. Yet again I'm surprised
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 15:26   #12
Teh_Necro
Daddy.

Teh_Necro has a little shameless behaviour in the past
no block has ever surpassed 1k players?

I must be on crack or something, b/c i swear r4 blocks contained a few k each

-Necro
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 15:31   #13
Jykke
Estharian

Jykke has a spectacular aura aboutJykke has a spectacular aura aboutJykke has a spectacular aura about
Clearly my dear Ooooomph! had when it was living its r2

The Figures:

The game has approximately 30000 players, 15000 large enough to make a difference. Blue Tuba has 2000 members - with possibly 1000 allies foolish enough to help defend.

This is a very very do-able task - and in fact I believe we'll find it enjoyable too!

Fact Taken From:
http://btwilldie.iwarp.com/

[Blue Tuba] -> [Fury] -> [Eclipse] -> [1up]
rounds that I have played; 3-10 and 16.
....."Never Defeat,
.....Never Despair,
Welcome To Esthar"
Jykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 15:40   #14
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Teh_Necro
no block has ever surpassed 1k players?

I must be on crack or something, b/c i swear r4 blocks contained a few k each

-Necro
VeX would have been 700-900, by my guess (just a guess, not based on any accurate figures).

NoS/CELL 300 or so.

Fury/Wolfpack... 300? Adding in Virus and Tuba could double that number.

None of those blocks is a 'few k', in fact they're not really any bigger than today's blocks :\

Ofc, they did have a lot more gals under their control as members were much more spread out, so the overall effect was that the blocks had more people fighting for them, but these were not alliance members.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 15:57   #15
Ahriman
Mr Sexable

Ahriman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
From http://btwilldie.iwarp.com/
These details are subject to change - so please make sure you email us with your planet co-ordinates and details so we can check that you are not a spy - and keep you informed of final launch times.
Nice URL Eldan I was never aware of it at the time, I might have joined their... 'revolt'...
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 16:53   #16
Sergio
BSE carrier

Sergio is an unknown quantity at this point
Now that we are talking about numbers...
It would be fun if someone could illuminate us with member counts of the actual blocks

I know it is hard, but what would be your guesses?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 17:10   #17
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
Originally posted by Sergio
Now that we are talking about numbers...
It would be fun if someone could illuminate us with member counts of the actual blocks

I know it is hard, but what would be your guesses?
This probably isn't the best idea, as all blocks will say they don't have many members whilst preaching that the other blocks have loads. They could dispute it till they went blue in the face and it wouldn't really change a thing.

And member numbers has always been a bad way to rate a block, because quality is quite obviously better than quantity. However, a large enough gap is quantity and it makes up for the lack of quality.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Unread 9 Mar 2003, 17:46   #18
Saitam
Tribologist

Saitam is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone remember if there where any attacks on "BT-day"?

(Waited and hoped for some incoming, but never saw them).
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 17:46   #19
Sergio
BSE carrier

Sergio is an unknown quantity at this point
Quantity is not the most important factor, even when talking about the single alliances in the most important blocks. The perfect example was LDK, a very small, but very powerful wing of Xanadu first and alliance after that.
I think the difference in quality between the alliances will be the deciding factor in the upcoming war, if the 3 most important blocks hit each other equally. If however, NaR allies or NAPs with either side, then numbers will win in the end.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 18:07   #20
AlbinoSquirrel
power of evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Saitam

I think there were, but not too many (obviously)

&Omega;
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 19:16   #21
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
And member numbers has always been a bad way to rate a block, because quality is quite obviously better than quantity. However, a large enough gap is quantity and it makes up for the lack of quality.
exactly, like you said, Quality > Quantity untill the margin is too big and then Quantity will take over

rgds Kj

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 19:57   #22
Sev
Commander

Sev is an unknown quantity at this point
If my somewhat dubious memory serves me correctly, didn't SL (Scandanavian Legion to those who weren't there) pass 1000 at one point? Of course, by that point it had changed into a bloated ineffective relic of the fairly effective alliance it once was, but I seem to remember it at least having some impressive statistics.

<Leinad> Sev is a sexy bitch, but plz dont tell him

Round 2 - 4:1:12 - C4E
Round 3 - 3:3:12 - TF/Elysium
Round 4 - 9:25:15 Nos
Round 5 - 17:5:16 - Lux
Round 6 - 35:23:6 - Deus
Round 7 - Quit - Legion
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 21:49   #23
NightSinner
Gimp Handler

NightSinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1000+ members?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rinoa
[b]Just wondering since my pre rnd 4knowlege is poor, which alliance was this? Was there really 1000 active or more a kind of snowball effect at signup?

SL of course
<Blue|WORKING> they are all sitting on a LAN
<Blue|WORKING> DUH
<[RO]NightSinner> hehe
<[RO]NightSinner> my mistake
<TomKat> Lithuanian Area Network
NightSinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 22:04   #24
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Sergio
Quantity is not the most important factor, even when talking about the single alliances in the most important blocks. The perfect example was LDK, a very small, but very powerful wing of Xanadu first and alliance after that.
I think the difference in quality between the alliances will be the deciding factor in the upcoming war, if the 3 most important blocks hit each other equally. If however, NaR allies or NAPs with either side, then numbers will win in the end.
not trying to discredit LDK's achievements or playing ability, but they were actually a bit more numerous than some people think

— Scorpio
Unread 9 Mar 2003, 22:58   #25
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpio
not trying to discredit LDK's achievements or playing ability, but they were actually a bit more numerous than some people think
Thing was we never saw most of them. It was such a drag to hop over to their server that it was much easier arranging things with the few that were on same server.

I think the enemy noticed them a lot more than we did :P
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 01:17   #26
Stress
Resurected

Stress can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally posted by ComradeRob
VeX would have been 700-900, by my guess (just a guess, not based on any accurate figures).

na thats far to high allthough if u consider Acherons 460 members for about 2 weeks u might be right
most of them where vut off quite fast though
Stress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 10:17   #27
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
LOST had up too 800 members in Round 3. Never made it to the 1k tho
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 11:00   #28
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Re: Re: 1000+ members?

Quote:
Originally posted by NightSinner
SL of course

^^^ wins
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 13:25   #29
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Quote:
Originally posted by Stress
na thats far to high allthough if u consider Acherons 460 members for about 2 weeks u might be right
most of them where vut off quite fast though
Just had a look at the arbiter list of Legion and Elysium for round 4.
Those 2 alone had 900 entries, of which overtime 300 were deleted. So netto say around 600, add Xanadu to that, and 900 would actually be a good guess

— Scorpio
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 14:19   #30
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Sev
If my somewhat dubious memory serves me correctly, didn't SL (Scandanavian Legion to those who weren't there) pass 1000 at one point? Of course, by that point it had changed into a bloated ineffective relic of the fairly effective alliance it once was, but I seem to remember it at least having some impressive statistics.
Well when that major flaw was found in their memberlist which gave anyone access to the whole memberlist it was getting on to around 1500 members. its what made SL such a joke, they had nearly 1500 members yet a 50 member alliance could beat them
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 16:14   #31
K03N
Banned

K03N is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Those 2 alone had 900 entries, of which overtime 300 were deleted. So netto say around 600, add Xanadu to that, and 900 would actually be a good guess

i have that list too.
100's of e-mail adresses.
think i'll add them to my MSN list and pretend i have lots of friends
K03N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 16:28   #32
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
Ok so the were alliances that can claim over 1k members, so how many members does that put in their channels at the time?
my guess round 200/300 mark?
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 16:30   #33
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
Originally posted by Rinoa
Ok so the were alliances that can claim over 1k members, so how many members does that put in their channels at the time?
my guess round 200/300 mark?
I think that's too high an estimate. A huge deal of the members were inactive, I'd probably guess 200 at it's peak. Even that seems too high though.

Unread 10 Mar 2003, 18:45   #34
Patrician
Sultan of Swing

Patrician is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

A few misguided souls launched, however they were quickly eliminated, then had their gals strip mined into the ground. We were looking forward to it (the NAP situation was indeed ridiculous), although some cowardly fellows went into vacation mode, heh (needless to say these all 'vanished' when war was declared later on)

Of course the real BT happened later in the round courtesy of the universe, lead by Legion and Fury.

The BT Day website tended to exaggerate, the alliance was no where near 2000 members, it was round about the 1200 mark (Although there were quite a few fake taggers). When the war started the true count appeared to be about 70ish, which steadily decreased as the weeks went on.

As for '1000 allies', at the end of the day there were none - heh.

(We deserved it though :))

BlueTuba

Last edited by Patrician; 10 Mar 2003 at 18:51.
Patrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 19:05   #35
Stress
Resurected

Stress can only hope to improve
Quote:
doubt it perhaps for a short period. But when i looked at member changes and how manny where removed form acheron those numbers still seem to high for me. on an average that is
Stress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 19:16   #36
Saitam
Tribologist

Quote:
Originally posted by Stress
doubt it perhaps for a short period. But when i looked at member changes and how manny where removed form acheron those numbers still seem to high for me. on an average that is
Some of those elysium members moved up to legion also...
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 14:22   #37
Dakeyras

I remember all that. BT basically got bored and said pretty much anyone can join if I remember right, and most poeple thought joining such a massive alliance was great, but did nothing. I was never a member, I thought I would then have nobody left to attack if I joined
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 16:00   #38
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Joining an alliance and wearing the tag were, and still are, completely different. Putting a tag in required 2 seconds of your time in your preferences screen, applying to actually get into BlueTuba took you 3 hours.

They had a ridiculous application form which I'm sure was just taking the piss out of the newbies wanting to join.

Unread 13 Mar 2003, 14:33   #39
Saitam
Tribologist

Also bear in mind that irc was not implemented until about half way into rnd2, so most ppl playing where not active in the way we think of activity atm.
Unread 13 Mar 2003, 17:03   #40
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Deleting over 600 members in a day is a highlight of my time in pa.

It really is.
Unread 13 Mar 2003, 19:14   #41
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
Also bear in mind that irc was not implemented until about half way into rnd2
It wasn't half way, it wasn't quite as far into the round as that, I'd guess at early stages.

And people still used IRC, just not a PA one.

Unread 13 Mar 2003, 23:28   #42
AlbinoSquirrel
power of evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
It wasn't half way, it wasn't quite as far into the round as that, I'd guess at early stages.

And people still used IRC, just not a PA one.
There was a PA channel on Quakenet as early as R1. PAnet didn't come about till early R2, as Scouse said.

&Omega;