User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 26 Aug 2003, 16:26   #1
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
I can't play anymore due to changes

When I tried to sign up for PaX the signup page says this: Username Max 10 characters

So I fill in the form and enter the username I've had since r2, the same as my forum name, my irc nick and my ruler name half of the rounds. Same name as I have on ICQ and use as rulername in several other online games, even a MUD char I've had since -95 bears that name.

Your username either contains illegal characters or is too long or too short (5-10).

So it seems Chax can no longer play planetarion.

I don't see why there has to be a 5 character minimum for username and I certainly don't see why the minimum isn't listed on the signup page when the maximum is. Yes I did bring this issue up in the beta, twice even, since boards got deleted each reset.
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 16:30   #2
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Same goes for Xanadu btw

The new Xanadu forums don't allow 4 character usernames either. So I can't be bothered being a Xanadu member in the games they play now.

The question is, am I petty for letting such a detail deter me from being in a gaming community or playing an online game, or is the gaming community and the online game petty for not letting people use the names they want.
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 16:33   #3
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
It's all relative.

Personally, I think it's a bit petty...but you obviously don't see it that way, and there's nothing at all wrong with that.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 16:33   #4
Chax
Pepsi bottle

well, I guess I'll take someone elses name

Signup Complete
The account spinner has been registered.

You will now receive an e-mail from us, where you will find further instructions.
The e-mail will be sent in less than a minute, but the time it takes to get to you may be anything from 1 minute to 48 hours, depending on your e-mail server. From experience, we know that services like Yahoo.com, Hotmail.com, Another.com and similar web-mail providers can be very slow.

Thank you for signing up, we hope you will enjoy your stay in our universe!
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 16:34   #5
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future
actually with the amount of 3 and 4 letter nicks it's kinda ridiculous... but easily solved if spinner would want too... such small things have no real use anyways ... 5 letters minimum.. heh
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 16:34   #6
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Sorry to say this Chax but it is a little petty on the PA Front. While the Xanadu forums will be an issue because your username is your display name the username for PA isnt used in the as your ID.

ofc the 5 charachter rule could be applicable on your planet name too in which case you have a point
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 16:35   #7
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Same goes for Xanadu btw

Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
am I petty
Yes.

It isnt that much effort for you to be Chax1 or something like that.
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 16:36   #8
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy

I can't have my underscore either
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 16:48   #9
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
Erm, username same as Ruler name - why make it easy for anyone who wants to try to hack you?
Next you'll want to set your password to the same as your ruler name.

OFC you know you can still have Chax as ruler name and (in-game) alliance nick.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 17:16   #10
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Some people care a lot about their nicks and ruler names and planet names. Yes, it's mostly vanity and foolishness; but they still care about them.

How much effort does it take for customers to pad/shorten names and/or remove some special characters? Not very much. On the other hand, how much effort does it take for the programmers to allow shorter/longer names and to allow a few special characters? Again, not very much.

The question then is, on whose shoulders should this small amount of effort fall--the programmers or the customers?

It sure looks like a no-brainer to me.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 17:25   #11
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Re: Re: Same goes for Xanadu btw

Quote:
Originally posted by JC
Yes.

It isnt that much effort for you to be Chax1 or something like that.
Ah, but is it more effort for everyone with a 4 letter name to be name1 than for PA to change the minimum to 1 char?
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 17:27   #12
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
hey chax dude, no offense but you need to get a ****ing life or something
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 17:29   #13
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Re: Re: Same goes for Xanadu btw

Quote:
Ah, but is it more effort for everyone with a 4 letter name to be name1 than for PA to change the minimum to 1 char?
Do you set your alarm for 4am to wake up for an attack? Do your mates have your mobile number so they can ring you in the middle of the night and shout for defence?

I'm guessing with you being ex-Xanadu thats probably the case, so surely adding a 1 to your username cant be that much effort if you are willing to get up at ridiculous hours for the game.

Spinner probably has more important things to worry about right now, like making sure everything is coded properly for the start of the round, so i doubt this will get changed.
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 17:31   #14
davidb
[Iron-Pirates & Babes]

davidb is an unknown quantity at this point
there needs to be changes imho anyway to whats been talked about as it is annoying but simply get around it
saying u quit pa and xanadu over 1 little letter is well like well petty hehe foolish imho.
still if spinner had the idea of useing r10 to get rid of some of the knobs then pld cos summat like this is just silly
davidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 17:56   #15
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
That's pretty damn petty. I mean, no one even sees it but you. You think Scoot951 was my first choice nick?

Or was this thread supposed to be sarcastic?

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 17:58   #16
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSmoke
hey chax dude, no offense but you need to get a ****ing life or something
He's a famous PA player, so we knew that already :-)
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 18:30   #17
Remberasha

Remberasha has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Well Since he's important then he should use

"The Chax"

as his rulername
Remberasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 18:40   #18
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Same goes for Xanadu btw

Quote:
Originally posted by JC
Do you set your alarm for 4am to wake up for an attack? Do your mates have your mobile number so they can ring you in the middle of the night and shout for defence?

I'm guessing with you being ex-Xanadu thats probably the case, so surely adding a 1 to your username cant be that much effort if you are willing to get up at ridiculous hours for the game.
Hehe. So in other words, PA is already so inconvenient that adding a few more petty inconveniences shouldn't really be a problem? I guess PA has so many customers that they have to beat them off with sticks!
Quote:
Spinner probably has more important things to worry about right now, like making sure everything is coded properly for the start of the round, so i doubt this will get changed.
Probably. But Chax did say he brought it up during the beta--twice. I know others mentioned a similar issue with respect to ruler names.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 18:55   #19
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Probably. But Chax did say he brought it up during the beta--twice. I know others mentioned a similar issue with respect to ruler names.
Hmm I think you didn't read the thread correctly. Chax is talking about his USERname, e.g. the name wich you use to login. You are talking about RULERname, e.g. the name used ingame, wich is something totally different. (you should know that after about 10 rounds )
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 19:07   #20
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
I couldnt use 'dabs' either, that annoyed me :/ so omg...i understand and agree with what Chax says for once :eek:
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 19:20   #21
Maddix
Imposter?

Maddix is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I can't play anymore due to changes

Quote:
So I fill in the form and enter the username I've had since r2...

Your username either contains illegal characters or is too long or too short (5-10).

So it seems Chax can no longer play planetarion.
Who cares about the username? Seriously, no-one except yourself should ever use it, so it doesn't affect anything at all.

Annoying perhaps, enough to stop you playing the game? LMFAO

R2: XXV
R3: Æternals
R4: Fx9/Wolfpack
R5: Legion
R6: Legion BC
R7: Legion BC
R8: RaH BC
R9: RaH HC
Maddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 19:39   #22
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Exclamation Re: Re: Re: Same goes for Xanadu btw

Quote:
Originally posted by General Martok
Hmm I think you didn't read the thread correctly. Chax is talking about his USERname, e.g. the name wich you use to login. You are talking about RULERname, e.g. the name used ingame, wich is something totally different. (you should know that after about 10 rounds )
I'm quite aware of the difference between user names and ruler/planet names, and I'm quite aware of which one Chax is talking about. Everything I posted was concerning usernames except my last sentence, and I only mentioned ruler names there because a similar issue came up with them during the beta as well.
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 22:36   #23
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Re: Re: Same goes for Xanadu btw

Quote:
Originally posted by General Martok
Hmm... You have much to learn, young grasshopper. Tactitus is Never wrong...

Unless i say so
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 01:04   #24
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Just be lucky they scrapped the 5 char limit for alliance names. A limit which was there in first beta round.

hAl
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 01:58   #25
Edge
hate us cuz they ain't us

Edge has a spectacular aura aboutEdge has a spectacular aura about
Red face

I see no prob with changing your name. not good to have the same ruler name and IRC nick any way man
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 02:22   #26
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough
I freaked when I couldn't use "Psi"
BAD SPINNER!!!!!!!!!!
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 05:41   #27
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
i first typed in Aryn (i know i know.. bad aryn :\)
and it said i couldn't use it
so i thought 'oh ok' and typed in something else that was longer.

no problem.

for rulername again i was gonna use Aryn but changed my mind.. so perhaps this could be an issue for some people..

for alliance name i typed in Aryn and it worked.

now then i don't see the problem with being upset about your username (if i read correctly and this login name is what the problem is about)
ideally your username should be something no one can guess, or something 'not so obvious'
if you get caught cheating and try to say 'gee i didn't think anyone would guess it' and it's the same as your irc nick.. well.. i'm sure the multihunters would have a bit of a hard time believing you.
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 10:42   #28
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Quote:
Originally posted by Aryn
Ooh I have a cute picture by to the left and this distracts people from reading my message
Why exactly is it that I can see that picture? I'm pretty sure I have turned off all such options in my profile.
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 18:11   #29
Yam
root vegetable.

Yam is an unknown quantity at this point
chav or chax or whatever yo name is..dont take this the wrong way but plz do get a life..
Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 18:50   #30
JC
lolly roffle

Quote:
Why exactly is it that I can see that picture? I'm pretty sure I have turned off all such options in my profile.
It's her rank rather than an avatar and so shows up for you even though you have avatars turned off.

(i think)
Unread 30 Aug 2003, 21:20   #31
Tin-Tin
An ok dude

Tin-Tin is an unknown quantity at this point
I couldn't use the "-" in both my rulername and my username..as I have been using since round3.. annoyed me quite a bit. But I just dropped the "-".. But it still annoys me somewhat..

But please do play Chax
r3 --> 54:15:2 (TGS,YHQ) (n00b)
r4 --> 30:14:11(TGS,YHQ) (Smurf)
r5 --> 20:6:12 (TGS,YHQ)
r6 --> 35:1:2 (NewDawn) (F&F)
r7 --> 21:10:14 (NewDawn)
r8 --> 48:9:10 (Elysium)
r9 --> 1:3:9 (Elysium)
r9,5 --> x:x:x (?)
Tin-Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 02:10   #32
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Portal

It's funny though, the portal allows 4 letter usernames. Maybe one will become automatically logged into the game if logged into the portal once the passport thing is finished. In that case the problem is solved.

One can't help wondering though, how come the game doesn't allow the same names as the portal does.
Unread 31 Aug 2003, 03:49   #33
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Portal

Quote:
..One can't help wondering though, how come the game doesn't allow the same names as the portal does.
Because PA wouldn't be the same without these little inconsequences that we all love to hate... and even though they are changing everything, some things needs to ,and actually will, stay the same
Unread 1 Sep 2003, 20:12   #34
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
Heh, someone took my login name!

ah well.

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Sep 2003, 22:05   #35
Lerxst
baka.

Lerxst is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
I guess PA has so many customers that they have to beat them off with sticks!
Isn't that common practice since p2p?
Unread 1 Sep 2003, 22:30   #36
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
I couldnt use The_Fish as my rulername, which sucked, so I'm now Fisheh instead. which sucks.