User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 19 Aug 2003, 02:28   #51
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't exactly hand him a list of my complaints and say "fix these"

Spinner either agreed with some of my points (and those of others who felt the same way...not just 'me'), saw something we both missed, or is taking some in-between 3rd route which compromises our two views with a tweak or two.

Of course, I personally think some good things were needlessly removed, specifically the differences in the 4 races. In all honesty, they lost their depth and uniqueness. That's not a good thing, considering races were a superb addition to PA.

I've somewhat come around to the scoring system, but I still think there are negative points about it.

The combat and roid capping genuinely needed improvement. We've proved that, and sent Spinner back to the drawing board.

If there wasn't a problem, he wouldn't be re-writing the formulas right now.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 02:40   #52
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future
If you cant be bothers with reading a lot, just skip down to the bottom of it, nice short summary there.

Interesting thread.
And a perrfect example of why the first email to the testers stressed that the beta is something to be discussed in the beta, and not outside of it.
Covert ops too powerfull?
The changes too many?
The combat too boring?
The score system can be abused?
Bashing is the best tactic?

All this in a beta? Gotta be crap then (-:

Oh drat, jeez, who would know, he is attempting to fix these things before the start of PaX ticks! Who would have though?
I mean, if its in the beta, it has to be there when they launch, surely.

Yes, I am a little sarcastic here, as I understand everyone is pretty much free to both violate confidentiality, place blame where they want to, and of course share their opinions, here.

Certainly, there are "issues" with PaX.
We have started from scratch, with nothing but a text editor and 3 years of experience, and a lot of ideas that needed to see the day of light. We have seen "old style" Planetarion for 10 rounds now, and some still miss Rd 1 (the best ever), some Rd 2 (also referred to as the best ever), many miss Rd3 and Rd4 (also known as the best round ever), and even Rd5 which brought us races (the best round ever, with the best changes ever), followed by Rd6, which was basically a balanced Rd5 (did I mention it was the best round ever?).
I sure admit from that point on, it didnt go all that much forward, as we lived from hand to mouth, not knowing wether we would be there next month or not, and morale was dropping every month.

Wehave been facing dropping numbers every single round since we went Pay2Play. Its that simple. Old style PA, with some "fixes" wouldnt make a difference to that fact. YOu think we have taken a big risk by trying to change as much as we have? When a game is dropping like a stone, people leaving every month, is it really a risk? I say No, the players were leaving anyway. Did the old PA attract new people? No, they were either so demolished their first weeks, or scared off by many seemingly hostile people either ingame, the forums, or on IRC , it was hard to get in.
And you dont get to be in a top alliance if you are new, forget it.

Planetarion didnt have what it takes to stay alive withouth drastic changes. Both as a game, as a community, and as a social hobby. I cant help thinking of of the old phrase "You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs" and it is something I belive in. Change can hurt, but when it happens, it is often the result of a need.

But change also brings new ideas, new ways to play, new opportunities, new elements.
Yes, the covert ops can be a real hazzle.

Oh, wait a sec, does that mean its harder to stay on the #1 spot? You cant just NAP up and be done with the game? You mean I have to make friends perhaps even with the little people, those below top 250 ? I dont like this, you cant force me into doing something I wont.

Correct, I sure cant. But if you have ALL the skills required to win in PaX, I am sure there is a way, even with people Covert Opping you.

And just to stop certain lose comments about Covert Ops being too powerfull etc, the protection against them have already been tuned upwards since yesterday. Why do you think the most recent beta was about late game mechanics? Complaining on things that have not had a focus yet is merely whining, unproductive and pointless, well, unless you wish to hurt PaX and scare people away so we dont get a chance to show it.
But many people here do not see it like that, they think that by posting things here, they can get attention and maybe even result in changes that is good for the game.

Consider the consequences of this forum. You hate to see people leave this community? Do you think the forums have had nothing to do with it? It was said here earlier, the community here aint always nice, lots of "whining, complaining" or whatever someone said, and by having this PUBLIC forum, we are indeed vulnerable to anyone who wants to hurt us, or do not understand the consequences of posting certain things here.

Boah.....that wasnt very nice of me either, and certainly hostile, arrogant and unfriendly. I will try to correct that then:

- As every tester knows by now, the beta has been stopped due to massive changes to combat to add more of the old tactics back, without losing the new ones.
- The score system can certainly be abused, we are well aware of it, but again I see testers in this thread blatantly ignoring the info about Fudge being on honeymoon (back at work tomrrow) and that a fix would have to wait for him to get back. The score system has 1 loophole, in the beta. So what??? It will be fixed.
- The bashing tactic will not be valid in the new combat, more finesse wil be required.

The big combat changes / capping changes that will come in are due to lots of testing by the testers, both previous and the last beta, and is exactly the kind of result a beta should lead to.
- This bit didnt work as well as we though, lets replace it.
- Some covert ops are a bit powerfull, lets tune it.
- This game isnt as fun with 250 players as it is with 10.000. Really?

As for the Alliance integration, how many times must I say this:
It is not meant to replace an alliances personal website with tools, stats, etc etc. It has some features that are nice for these potentially new players that arent let into your fancy sites with fancy tools and fancy designs, who doesnt want to set their alarm clock at night, who plays more casually. Playing casually isnt something that PA has allowed much at all, I am happy to see that it is certainly much more able to do so now.
It is also meant as a formal way of bringing alliances into the game, with official ranking, defense benefits, a simple yet working attack planner etc etc.

But what I find delightful, is to see such heated debate going on, over something as old as PA, something as "simple" as a webgame, numbers in a database. There is passion here, there is interest here, there is will. And where there is a will, there is a way, broken eggs or not.

What is the point of this reply?
I dont know to be honest, I guess I feel the launch stress a bit, and the lack of sleep thanks to beta nights and Fudge being gone for the last week.
But if anyone made sense of it, I am happy.
--------------------------

Nice short summary:

Most issues brought up here are already being looked upon and are expecting changes / fixes over the very near future.
If not everything in regards to combat is done by the time signups open, its no disaster, we still have a lot of time before the ticks start. And even then you dont have to pay right away, before you have looked at it and judged for yourself.

Thank you for reading.

Spinner
"Takin' the piss since 1999" (-:
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 02:51   #53
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future
Forgot to say, thanks Tauric, nice post, and I do think you hit the nail on the head on some key points in there (-:

Andy_r, thank you for yoru positivity and drive, motivates me quite a bit.

Cochese, thank you for your critical views on most things and telling me how to not do my job, it is appriciated allthough you might want to concider keep beta things in the beta and not outside, and cut us some slack (-:
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 02:55   #54
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Spinner
....and even Rd5 which brought us races (the best round ever, with the best changes ever), followed by Rd6, which was basically a balanced Rd5 (did I mention it was the best round ever?)....
I think you'll find that races were introduced in r6 and that r7 was a balanced r6. r5 on the other hand was the battleship love parade.
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 02:56   #55
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

One more thing we have seen in the beta:

Running at 1 tick per minute, is not as beneficial as it once was.
Some of the new features take more time to be used properly, and 1 minute ticks is too fast to cover it all.
Getting defense, collecting the scans, thow in a covert op or two, make sure the engineers are all set up correctly, 1 minute isnt a lot.
So be carefull when view the results of such fast betas, they are misleading on a lot of points.
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 02:57   #56
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
I think you'll find that races were introduced in r6 and that r7 was a balanced r6. r5 on the other hand was the battleship love parade.
I think I got my point across though (-:
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 03:06   #57
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Yes, you did get your point across.

But there are 2 things, now that I have your attention.

1. Does your reply here constitute a waiver saying we're allowed to discuss the beta? It's a bit unclear on that point. While you do slap people on the hand for posting things, you also legitimise the posting of beta things here just by making your post.

2. While I am refraingin from making any premature comment on wether I like PaX over previous rounds of PA I feel I must say that while I like the PaX beta a lot better than the r4 beta, I don't like the PaX beta as much as I've liked the betas for r6 r7 r8.
The main reason for this is the feedback system. I miss the beta boards. With in game beta forums that are wiped after each beta reset I fear that issues might be lost and effort might be wasted trying to report things either already fixed or re-reporting things not looked at yet. It also means a lack of continuity.

disclaimer: I hope that my second point doesn't mean I've disclosed any secret information.
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 03:14   #58
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

The beta boards are not wiped after every reset, it is just that I go though them undistrubed then and make notes of what I need to know etc. Nothing was lost.

As for wether peopel can discuss the beta, I'd like them not to, as it is clear that it can damage both the game and community.
If my posting here compromises it, well, I wish to be able to make comments even if others are not, specially in reply to those who decide to speak up.
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 03:17   #59
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Spinner, I have started to come around on the new PA myself...I was up until 0700 your time playing, and truly getting a "feel" for things.

As for "leaking" stuff, I don't think I wrote anything that wasn't revealed in previous posts. I made it a point to avoid saying anything that hadn't already been said.

Fudge's absence didn't cross my mind either; I assumed you were running the show on your own and capable of scraping together enough workable code for testing. My mistake. I await the changes eagerly.

Tickspeed is something I was just thinking about myself...as you said, there's alot too do--too much--in two minutes, and it gets to the point where it's easier to make rash moves instead of planned ones, just to avoid being late in a launch for instance. If people complain about the tick speed, you immediately know who doesn't belong in the beta test.

I'm desperately trying to take all of this in. There's a lot of stuff to absorb, some from so far out in left field that it's confusing. With so much at stake, emotions are running high, and nerves are frayed. I can only imagine what you're going through, and wouldn't care to trade places. The risks you're taking are substantial...but with nothing to lose, I guess it's the right move.

It ultimately doesn't matter what I think anyways, so telling me to "shut the **** up, Cochese" won't hurt my feelings.

It's your game, don't let me or anyone else walk all over you.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 10:11   #60
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Group hug!

:-)
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 10:36   #61
Ace
PA Team

Ace is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the rough
As stated in the mail I got I'm not allowed to give details about beta.

I will try not to do that

Spinner:
I think the idea you guys (PATeam) about changing PA to something new, is a good one.
I admit I had to get used to some of the changes at first, but in the end (with the announced changes) think it will be a great new start for PA .
I feel that you guys realy listened to us via the post we made on the boards.

Not going in to details is difficult, but then again, It will give ppl the feeling they can expect a real good game

Ok 1 thing I will say.......

I think most ppl will realy like paX

Ace
(edited to fix a typo)
#multihunters
----------------------------
Former HC - Conspiracy Theory -
- Proud to have served as -
- High Commander and CEO -
[]LCH[] ...lets change history
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 10:52   #62
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
iirc spinner is right in saying races were initially introduced in rd 5 where u had the option of 2 races war and science, granted they took a huge change for rd 6 where they were expanded to what we knoe today but they did start in rd 5

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 11:12   #63
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Ace

I think most ppl will realy like paX

goodie \o/ i truly hope so
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 12:02   #64
Ace
PA Team

Ace is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the roughAce is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Wandows
goodie \o/ i truly hope so
Like I said, I can't get in to details but you will love it once you get the hang of it
#multihunters
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 12:02   #65
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
[b]Spinner, I have started to come around on the new PA myself...I was up until 0700 your time playing, and truly getting a "feel" for things.
For my part, I'm coming round to Cochese's position a bit too. I'd assumed everyone would adapt to the new game far more quickly than they are, so the mechanisms that are in place to push people away from 'undesirable tactics' are clearly not strong enough.

Again, I'm highly positive about this, because I expect the changes will only enhance the things I like about the new game.

Quote:
I'm desperately trying to take all of this in. There's a lot of stuff to absorb, some from so far out in left field that it's confusing. With so much at stake, emotions are running high, and nerves are frayed. I can only imagine what you're going through, and wouldn't care to trade places. The risks you're taking are substantial...but with nothing to lose, I guess it's the right move.
Amen to that.

It's easy to have a 'gut reaction' to changes, and much harder to sit back, think about all the implications and come to a considered opinion if the change is good for the game or not. it's doubly hard to do that without a manual telling you what the change actually is, and triply hard while trying maintain a healthy planet with one minute ticks.

As for having this conversation in public, I'll pull an example from much earlier in the thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrath of Azure
covert ops are gay and will always be gay. Imo, it's only a tool for the weak to fight back.
Are people going to remember that, when it was posted early in the thread or this late reply?:

Quote:
NOT posted by Andy_R at the time because we were asked to keep things confidential
Covert ops are going to be adjusted because the beta testers are (as far as I recall) unanimous about balance issues. A tool for the weak to fight back with is a excellent addition to Planetarion, since in the past it has been impossible for even a dedicated and strong alliance to take down a top player. The implications of covert ops are that there will be more change at the top. In the past, a major problem with PA has been that rounds have been effectively decided in the first few weeks, with one alliance or block gaining an unassailable lead, leading to boredom on the winning side, and dispair on the losing side. If correctly balanced, covert ops will provide a mechanism for correcting this problem, which some people are objecting to, but to fully understand the implications it needs to be considered in conjunction with the score system which now rewards past successes, meaning that the winning player will not now be the one that 'finishes the biggest', but instead it will be somewhat skewed towards being the one that has been highest for the longest.
See my point?
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 14:14   #66
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
I never said the final product would be crap I said the beta in the last form I played it was crap and that players would not play it, I told you why I thought it and how you could improve it. Judging by past experiences with you and beta testing you've ignored all criticism of your work and done what you wanted, then you've blamed it's failure on the beta testers acceptance of what you did, my whole post was just a short we don't accept the beta in it's current form so you'd either do something or not have the fall back of blaming the testers if it's all a failure.

As for breaking confidentiality I'm under the impression almost everyone with IRC access has played PAX by now, since I've lost access to the beta forums and you ignore my Emails what better place to discuss PAX, also notice how almost every poster knows what I was describing because account trading was so rampant as always.

I think you over estimate how much the game itself matters, no one plays old style Planetarion for the game itself, no one ever has of the rounds you list as being the best that was largely due to the political situation (Round 2, 4 and 6). All you need to provide is a decent environment so the political side of the game can play out, with a few tweaks old style Planetarion could have been a much much better game. By completely revamping the game you have strayed dangerously close to hurting this environment and driving off the players who are already here.

The reason player numbers continue to drop is because of Pay 2 Play we all know this and we know there's no solution to Pay 2 Play if you want to bring in new players then the game needs to be marketed effectively (While a low quality ad in a games magazine is a start it needs much more). Also I disagree with the price increase, I assume Jolt have pushed this on you however at times lowering prices increases profits this I think is certainly true for Planetarion. No matter how good you make PAX you will still have a hard time convincing "joe newbie" to part with £10.

Finally do you really believe that people will read posts on these forums and magically decide to not play PA X because I said the beta in the current form is poor ? I can't think of a single person who after reading the forums will not take part in a free two week trial, debate on what your doing is good for the game especially in public, for once it lets people know your finally acting on what players are telling you.

Right now to address what you said about the game itself. The two large areas which are in need of change are combat and covert ops and I'm glad to see they are being changed, however I hope you realise just how much they need to be over hauled. From my first post on combat:
Quote:
Spinner did actually recognize this and added more ships and classes however ships still lack secondary targeting, which is needed to give depth to combat. If a battle is being fought on a huge planet the people organising the attack and defence should be able to think tactically and send ships which target the other sides and reduce losses as it stands now it just seems more a case of send all you can and hope for the best.
Also since I'm now of the opinion that people will be able to get a rough approximation of the stats quite early on then to counter this an efficiency number (i.e. how powerful it is against a class) for each ship and it's target should be released, this won't give away too much as the armour of each ship is still unknown and will take trial and error to find out however it will allow players to build which ships are best for them and not waste resources it will also not hand the advantage to the big alliance players who will be able to be stats early on.
Code:
Ship    T1      T2         T1 Efficency T2 Efficency
Harpy   Small   Large      1.03         0.76
In addition to combat itself you post made no mention of the outstand issues with scans:
Quote:
scan bases have never really been a massive issue in Planetarion, believe it or not they contributed a surprising amount to your revenue. By only allowing the target planet to military scan his attackers your going to force more and more people into account sharing, more than that you've basically legitimised it. By making the scan tech tree so long and forcing people to research more valuable areas you've also managed to remove a large amount of the fun of big battles, I know the idea was to make the game less scripted but where's the fun in not being able to arrange exact defence for yourself and just piling ships on ? Again it makes the game far too simple you've simply gone too far.
As for Covert Ops it's rather pleasing to see the yes men you have testing for you actually picked up on the problems with them however even with upping what security centres do to prevent covert ops there is still a chance that with 100 people or so doing it a round can be ended. If it is still possible to cripple a planet for the rest of the round by simply click launch operation then it is bad for the game, it won't just be used on large planets, hell I'll just use it on newbies for a "laugh". Since a radical over haul of covert ops seems out of the question with your launch date of Friday, perhaps you can provide planets with something like a security sweep can be launched which say last 12 hours, costs a large amount of resources, stops a planet using covert ops but also gives the planet a high chance of blocking covert ops ?

Last edited by Hicks; 19 Aug 2003 at 14:32.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 14:44   #67
Ace
PA Team

Negative negative negative...........

you played the first or second beta Hicks ??
Cos a lot of ppl suggested stuff in the second beta to spinner and co and seeing his answers hes listening to a lot of the suggestions made to him.
#multihunters
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 14:49   #68
Flip
Canadian Ninja of DOOM

Flip is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Compliments for the changes, pa team

Quote:
Originally posted by tauric
I am 38 years old and i have played pa since round two. In 9 rounds i have done approximatly 25 attacks. I think of myself as an experienced player, even an active one. I never ended a round beeing #last, in fact i was always the average player. 5 out of ten, 13 out of 25. I never missed an attack on my planet. I was always there, just never in time to get defence. Yet i defended ingal on uncountless occasions. I have made friends but they are like me, not the sort of people you want in your alliance, for you never know when they will be online.
I was called once on my mobile phone by a gal mate. I am dutch he is norwegian, I kept a stupid smile on my face for about a week and my wife and co workers kept on making fun of it.

Why do i keep playing pa knowing i will never be considered good alliance material? Because pa is fun for me too. I loved the start of each round for it gave me an opportunity to be in the top 50, even top 10 once. Okay for two ticks, but never the less i was there. When the attacking starts i lean back and sleep. I make sure my fleet doesnt get waisted and try to get some score on the turtoise way. I do get bored when the round progresses, but not because of unbalance or the power blocking of alliances.
If you dont like attacking and everyone has said what he wanted to say on the boards, the round dies.

I love the announced changes of round 10. Spies and covert operations taking place directly without eta. Great.
the experienced die hard attacker aiming for score and size will most likely think its no use. And from what i have seen in other games i think they are right, but it will be fun for me and all those other semi (in) actives. Secret revenge for all those standard and boring raids and ways of attacking.

The same goes for all ships shooting. Great. This will definitly make my fleets stay at home more, primairy and secundary initiative set for destroying attacking ships.

Naming your fleets, i have had dreams about my fleets, my ships where precious to me, i went zik only for one goal, to get 48 different ships. Not that i succeeded but i came close, 42.
Just the fun of naming your own fleet will be great.

I know how round ten will go score- and alliancewise, we all know. In two months the game will be unbalenced because of whatever. It took 9.5 rounds of pa old way to get a sence of balance. The winner or winning allaince will be the one most dedicated in exploiting the whatever that caused the unbalance. I dont care, its part of this game. It even resambles life. The die hards dont have to worrie, pa will stay pa.

What i dont know is how the next round will be for me. It looks promissing. I kinda like the idea that all those experienced players are nerveous about all the changes. It feels like somesort of revenge. pld spinner

The real compliment Spinner is for realising that your community of players is devided in two parts. Die hards AND the rest.
Thanks for giving the rest of the community what we want.

Tauric

I think you have the best outview on this game. I consider myself a hardcore player, yet even then.. I'm not afraid of PAX...and I'm happy to see that people like you exist, people who have a positive outlook on new things. cheers!
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 14:49   #69
Ace
PA Team

Re: Re: Re: things i've noticed

Quote:
Originally posted by Flip
I think people like you, and the others who dislike the changes just need to keep an open mind. Your so caught up in your ways of doing things since R1, you aren't able to accept that things change. I've been playing since R5. I have yet to see the changes, but I'm rather excited about many new features announced.. And I'm keeping an open mind. Stop looking at PAX like it's a freak of the regular PA, and move on, look at it as something new. If you'd rather not evolve in your thinking, then ok, stick to your clones.

Positive post

COOL
#multihunters
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 14:50   #70
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Ace
Negative negative negative...........

you played the first or second beta Hicks ??
Cos a lot of ppl suggested stuff in the second beta to spinner and co and seeing his answers hes listening to a lot of the suggestions made to him.
hen I was talking about Spinner ignoring advice I was talking about a general trend throughout Planetarion history. I've played both although I'm not officially in the 2nd beta but I have access to someones account for most of the day. I've just had Spinner's announcement pasted to me and at least it proves he's taken the criticism on board this time and is going to rewrite combat hopefully in a more old PA style.

Also why is criticizing something you disagree with and suggesting ways to make it better negative ? Would you prefer everyone to say "PA X ROCKS EVERYONE PLAY IT ITS PERFECT" ? While I do accept that the forums are perhaps not the best place to talk about stuff like this I don't see what rules I've broken.

Last edited by Hicks; 19 Aug 2003 at 14:56.
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 14:53   #71
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Re: Re: Re: things i've noticed

Quote:
Originally posted by Flip
I think people like you, and the others who dislike the changes just need to keep an open mind. Your so caught up in your ways of doing things since R1, you aren't able to accept that things change. I've been playing since R5. I have yet to see the changes, but I'm rather excited about many new features announced.. And I'm keeping an open mind. Stop looking at PAX like it's a freak of the regular PA, and move on, look at it as something new. If you'd rather not evolve in your thinking, then ok, stick to your clones.
This is what I mean. Right Chochese was actually trying to suggest problems and how to fix them to make the game better as was I, no one was saying change is a bad thing, what he and the majority of other beta testers were saying was that the beta in the form it was in was worse than old PA and no one would play it. If you can't accept that the fact that not everything is perfect then you need a reality check.
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 14:55   #72
Ace
PA Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Hicks
When I was talking about Spinner ignoring advice I was talking about a general trend throughout Planetarion history. I've played both although I'm not officially in the 2nd beta. I've just had Spinner's announcement pasted to me and at least it proves he's taken the criticism on board this time and is going to rewrite combat hopefully in a more old PA style.

Also why is criticizing something you disagree with and suggesting ways to make it better negative ? Would you prefer everyone to say "PA X ROCKS EVERYONE PLAY IT ITS PERFECT" ?
I know that in the past PATeam didn't listen to us (the customers).
And yes he listened to us this time and is working on a change.
I can only say...way to go spinner to that.

Criticizing is not always negative but tbh the post you made sounded very negative to me.

I'm very positive atm that the changes can make PaX a great game to play.
But that's just my opinion.
#multihunters
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 14:58   #73
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ace
I'm very positive atm that the changes can make PaX a great game to play.
But that's just my opinion.
So your basically saying if they change two of the most important aspects of the game (Combat and Covert ops) from the state they were in the latest beta then it can be a great game ? Duh.
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 14:59   #74
Nitros
Internal Error

Nitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to behold
changing is not the same as removing

[]LCH[] ..lets change history
Nitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 15:03   #75
Ace
PA Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Hicks
So your basically saying if they change two of the most important aspects of the game (Combat and Covert ops) from the state they were in the latest beta then it can be a great game ?
What I say is....

you know that somne changes are made.
you know they will let us test that too.
I have the feeling the changes will make it a good game to play.
But like I said before...I can't get in to details cos I got the mail that asked me not too (Like all beta players did)
And I tend to take those mails serious
#multihunters
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 15:16   #76
Flip
Canadian Ninja of DOOM

Re: Re: Re: Re: things i've noticed

Quote:
If you can't accept that the fact that not everything is perfect then you need a reality check.
Alright. I'll be deleting that other post anyway. I tend to react too fast.. (ie I replied to the first post on the whole thread without getting to the end..) bad habit of mine.

To talk about your quote.. I think it can be reversed and applied to both of you also.
Perfect in your minds seems to be: "Old PA"
If it wasn't for taking risks at something new, we wouldn't have incredibly good games like Starcraft. :P

Again, I apologize for posting without reading the whole thing.

*edit*
this is why I dislike forums in general. reading through whole threads is a pain, I react to the first one and go. Give me live chat any day, and I"ll be more coherent, and I won't need to eat my words due to idiocy.

*Waits for the flames cos he knows certain people have nothing better to do*

Last edited by Flip; 19 Aug 2003 at 15:23.
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 15:16   #77
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
yeh, f*cking let the last 2k players we got feel incredibly left out an uninformed. Of all delays and bad things PA team ever did, this is about the worst ever. Thje fact that they CBA givin us ****e information about trhe situation. just a little hint on when pub beta will be, just a little post about how beta is going, amybe some screenshots and battle reports. Cause Beta testers are players, and now they are having a great advantage, and a threating them spezial from the rest. I wouldnt say this if beta testeres werent playing the game, but man. Why allt his silence?

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 15:22   #78
Ace
PA Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonas
yeh, f*cking let the last 2k players we got feel incredibly left out an uninformed. Of all delays and bad things PA team ever did, this is about the worst ever. Thje fact that they CBA givin us ****e information about trhe situation. just a little hint on when pub beta will be, just a little post about how beta is going, amybe some screenshots and battle reports. Cause Beta testers are players, and now they are having a great advantage, and a threating them spezial from the rest. I wouldnt say this if beta testeres werent playing the game, but man. Why allt his silence?

-Jonas-
Yo chill Jonas

There is info about the beta on www.planetarion.com
It holds screenshots too.

And for us having a advantiage on non beta players ??? there will be a public beta spinner said on the portal if I remember it right.
If there is info about the beta and stuff happening there you will get it from spinner and not from me.
I'm just a player

Ace
#multihunters
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 15:41   #79
Flip
Canadian Ninja of DOOM

Last post then I'll shut my mouth..fingers..whatever.
I just re-read Spinner's massive post..
And honestly I'm amazed at how much Spinner and I think along the same lines when it comes to doing things.
I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing tho..heheh

I obviously put my foot in my mouth earlier... but that happens sometimes.

I'll stop ass kissing now (not that I really mean it that way) and hope for the best. Keep up the good work PA Team... Being someone who reviews games constantly...I know you are trying your best.
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 18:28   #80
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

It'll work out.
The signup date of 22nd is in no way the date everything has to be in place, or tuned right, or tested to death.
We have at least two weeks more to tune it and get it right.
Covert Ops are quick to balance, very "uncomplicated".

Stressed, yes, lashing out a bit, yes sorry, but horribly worried? Nah, not yet (-:
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 19:43   #81
HiHou
G4MER

HiHou is an unknown quantity at this point
Of the topic, but...

Playing the "beta phase II" I can say PAX is gonna be so good (and for sure will be "the best round ever" )!! Covert ops and the new score system etc. are great, they need some adjustement ofc but isn't that what beta is for..

Peace and love!!
Unread 20 Aug 2003, 23:15   #82
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Ace
Yo chill Jonas

There is info about the beta on www.planetarion.com
It holds screenshots too.

And for us having a advantiage on non beta players ??? there will be a public beta spinner said on the portal if I remember it right.
If there is info about the beta and stuff happening there you will get it from spinner and not from me.
I'm just a player

Ace
lol, /me was very tired after a bad night, then spending 7.5 hours on driving till, playing and driving from a football match we lost 5-3

The screenshots at www.planetarion.com (at the time I posted) where 4, and weren't much too look at. And yes, someone playing the priv beta, get to start the game bout 4 times or so? before the public beta comes, which they will own. Im sure you undertsnad that having done a thing 5 times, are alot better than if you done it 1 I dont complain. I understand that everyone cant test, but keeping it so friggin secret is redicilous. Were part of the community too, and deserver to know.

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Aug 2003, 23:26   #83
tauric

tauric is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Spinner
Forgot to say, thanks Tauric, nice post, and I do think you hit the nail on the head on some key points in there (-:
Quote:
Originally posted by tauric
Now he is on the other side of the table, a creator, he found out the hard way that his best wasnt good enough to satisfy mrs Spinners needs. you know what i mean i hope.
Uh Spinner, ....
I have absolutely no doubts about your relation with misses Spinner, last time i put on one of my wifes dresses we had an extremely rough night. but before anyone starts putting one and one together, I think its wise if you exclude the above mentioned key point.
tauric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Aug 2003, 02:25   #84
Yam
root vegetable.

Yam is an unknown quantity at this point
yea well..

im looking forward to paX :¬P
Yam is offline   Reply With Quote