User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 20 Mar 2003, 13:38   #1
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Strategies for entrenching?

Imagine yourself in a medium active VoM galaxy.. the gal able to get at most 2-3 def fleets from the outside; and you're expecting the daily incoming to continue (except that as you turn into a badder and badder target it'll turn more and more into bashing fleets; not to mention that everyone is outgrowing you at an alarmingly pace).

This are my thoughts on the subject atleast:
1.At the moment i don't consider even take 1 harpy in losses for killing of 10 of the hostiles worth the trade.
2.Creative def trading; this will cease being effective though; as people start countering it (with wyverns fx)
3.People with the least roids sacrifice their planets to defend the people with most roids.
4.Building extremely specialized fleets; gulling people into sending smaller fleets at you in your targetting holes
5.Use any targetting hole in the attacking fleets to kill off / defend cheaply without losses.

Any other tricks/tactics/strategies to 'survive'? (We genuinly need them)

Last edited by hyfe; 20 Mar 2003 at 14:14.
hyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 14:04   #2
TheSeeker
.:. Adelante .:.

TheSeeker is an unknown quantity at this point
i have them. not giving them, i need the roids

The World Seen From A Cathaar's View...
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 14:18   #3
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by TheSeeker
i have them. not giving them, i need the roids
alright MacGyver: here is a pen, a piece of string and some bubble gum, now go and kill narweet
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 14:27   #4
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Hyfe, I scribbled a bunch down on the Oly boards, I'm sure if you ask someone nice from there they'll get ya a copy

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2003, 14:51   #5
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
will do.
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 18:49   #6
Jaret
Genuine Mastermind

Jaret is an unknown quantity at this point
Arranging for some farming with another vvomm gal in your c/p.

Nah, not what your thinking, ffs.

1 Planet is allowed to take the roids of 3 other planets. This planet however will not build fleet and donate all his resources back to the 3 planets that serve as "farms". This will result in sevral things.

1 Planet will have many roids but only minimal score ... making it hard for big ppl to attack him. In return 3 of your planets will have very few roids (like 50 or something) and relatively much score.

If planet 1 ever has too much incoming, the 3 "farms" can either defend him or use their ships to attack him (yes attack him) and ruin the capping ratio of the attackers easily to zero.

It is a tactic we used during r5 when we was bashed by furigon.

Be prepared for 24/7 incomings on the farming planet tho ... but again that was part of the most fun in r5 :-) .

Viva La Resistance

R4: 109:4:21 Mongos - [4fs] [MI]
R5: 36:24:1 Carnivoria - [c36-LR] [Lux] [Crusade]
R6: xx:xx:xx Random (PA vacation)
R7: 7:12:2 PleasureDome - [FAnG]
R8: PA - Vacation
R9: 10:6:1 The Brotherhood -[Eclipse] [Excalibur]
R9.5: 6:10:8 -=The Wanderer=- of -=The Universe=- [Eclipse] [GoldenCircle]
Jaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2003, 19:02   #7
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Jaret
Arranging for some farming with another vvomm gal in your c/p.

Nah, not what your thinking, ffs.

1 Planet is allowed to take the roids of 3 other planets. This planet however will not build fleet and donate all his resources back to the 3 planets that serve as "farms". This will result in sevral things.

1 Planet will have many roids but only minimal score ... making it hard for big ppl to attack him. In return 3 of your planets will have very few roids (like 50 or something) and relatively much score.

If planet 1 ever has too much incoming, the 3 "farms" can either defend him or use their ships to attack him (yes attack him) and ruin the capping ratio of the attackers easily to zero.

It is a tactic we used during r5 when we was bashed by furigon.

Be prepared for 24/7 incomings on the farming planet tho ... but again that was part of the most fun in r5 :-) .

Viva La Resistance
the "roid bank" principal was an interesting one in round 4 and 5 especially in early rnd 4 with the piggie backing formula, but is now outlawed due to the farming / friendly fire banning.

it would be very difficult to convince the authority in question that you were not infact breaking the rules.

that said I remember trying to get roids off the farms serveral times in rnd 4 with very limited success. your galaxy is probably small enough to avoid being spotted in the usual fashion, but anyone seeing such an oddly roid stacked gal would be quick to report you in the hopes of having you closed (this is ex fury you're playing against here).

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 00:00   #8
Le Mauvais Moine

Le Mauvais Moine is an unknown quantity at this point
Yesterday i was assigned a target with 100 roaches 450 scarabs 50 BW and only a couple of beetles and spids. How as a medium sizeded Cathaar am is supposed to roid this ? Well i have some spids, but some more co stuff as emp flak and my poddies and BW be frozen again ..

Creative fleet that ..
Le Mauvais Moine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 03:52   #9
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

well.. you shouldn't roid him then... in fact; your probably the worst race to be trying to roid him with...

Terran could use DE.. xands/ziks Fi kill fleets...If you had had enough spids it would have helped alot though..
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 05:24   #10
Jaret
Genuine Mastermind

Jaret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MAdnRisKy
it would be very difficult to convince the authority in question that you were not infact breaking the rules.

(this is ex fury you're playing against here).
True ... it was great fun back then tho. Another thing you can always do is ... don´t spend resources ... till your enemies are to big to roid you

You ... and your galaxy .... and maybe even your alliance could then one day ... when your bank is almost full ... spend all of that on some certain kind of ships ... and then go for some gangup payback raids ... hard to cover especialy in para/cluster.

And btw. ... whom said I´m playing against former fury ?? *looks @ signature*:eek:

R4: 109:4:21 Mongos - [4fs] [MI]
R5: 36:24:1 Carnivoria - [c36-LR] [Lux] [Crusade]
R6: xx:xx:xx Random (PA vacation)
R7: 7:12:2 PleasureDome - [FAnG]
R8: PA - Vacation
R9: 10:6:1 The Brotherhood -[Eclipse] [Excalibur]
R9.5: 6:10:8 -=The Wanderer=- of -=The Universe=- [Eclipse] [GoldenCircle]
Jaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 11:31   #11
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
easy solution

Quote:
Originally posted by Le Mauvais Moine
Yesterday i was assigned a target with 100 roaches 450 scarabs 50 BW and only a couple of beetles and spids. How as a medium sizeded Cathaar am is supposed to roid this ? Well i have some spids, but some more co stuff as emp flak and my poddies and BW be frozen again ..

Creative fleet that ..
Either join an alliance that has a better BC, ie get assigned something you can actually handle, or join an alliance that lets you have a say in what target to attack.

on a side note, I'm landing on a guy with 400+ scarabs in 20min. My 1k spiders will have fun there.
Unread 22 Mar 2003, 14:15   #12
Le Mauvais Moine

Re: easy solution

Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
Either join an alliance that has a better BC, ie get assigned something you can actually handle, or join an alliance that lets you have a say in what target to attack.

on a side note, I'm landing on a guy with 400+ scarabs in 20min. My 1k spiders will have fun there.
You rule, I s*ck
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 01:54   #13
Bongdage
Giant Squid Wrestler

Bongdage is an unknown quantity at this point
i keep getting given xand targets :/
2k cath fi does a good job of taking care of them though
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 05:21   #14
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light
hmm, not that it has anything to do with anything but I choose my own targets, and I have plenty to choose from o.O

I'm not very keen on giving out keys to entrenching, just saying think creativly around crap ratios and defence trading, that gets you a while on the way, and instead of sticking around and getting your arse kicked in, go roid, replace the roids they take as they're taking 'em...
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 06:10   #15
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun_Tzu
I'm not very keen on giving out keys to entrenching, just saying think creativly around crap ratios and defence trading,
Not many people are it seems .. a shame; cos its possible to be quite creative about it i think

Quote:
that gets you a while on the way, and instead of sticking around and getting your arse kicked in, go roid, replace the roids they take as they're taking 'em... [/b]
I've never been a fan of the whole attack instead idea:

1. You could probably help cover somebody in-gal with those ships
2. When you're in need of entrenching; you're usually low on roids, high on ships; and you're loosing quite badly.. Risking your ships against an superiori enemy sounds a tad foolish in my ears. Esp since if you loose your fleet your stuck with no fleet / no roids.
3. Isn't half the point of entrenching to keep your fleet alive (and as many roids as possible) until things easen up (if ever)?
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 11:48   #16
Bongdage
Giant Squid Wrestler

Bongdage is an unknown quantity at this point
my gal has been attacked a number of times this round, and each time we've had no outside help, maybe a couple of fleets. but yeah we just cross def, some people are left uncovered but at least not everyone is...
problems with not having an alliance
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 20:00   #17
Le Mauvais Moine

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun_Tzu
hmm, not that it has anything to do with anything but I choose my own targets, and I have plenty to choose from o.O

Piggybacker !
Unread 23 Mar 2003, 22:16   #18
Sun_Tzu
Arrogant Fck

Sun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of lightSun_Tzu is a glorious beacon of light
lol, hardly, I don't share my roids, they are mine :P
Unread 24 Mar 2003, 08:34   #19
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Bongdage
my gal has been attacked a number of times this round, and each time we've had no outside help, maybe a couple of fleets. but yeah we just cross def, some people are left uncovered but at least not everyone is...
problems with not having an alliance
lo bong mate!
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2003, 08:07   #20
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MAdnRisKy
the "roid bank" principal was an interesting one in round 4 and 5 especially in early rnd 4 with the piggie backing formula, but is now outlawed due to the farming / friendly fire banning.

that said I remember trying to get roids off the farms serveral times in rnd 4 with very limited success. your galaxy is probably small enough to avoid being spotted in the usual fashion, but anyone seeing such an oddly roid stacked gal would be quick to report you in the hopes of having you closed (this is ex fury you're playing against here).
Which raises a question to me: is a roid bank illegal?
The bank can get it's roids from joint attacks where i don't send pods.
If I retal I want the other side to die. I don't need roids, cause that would only get me more attackers. Small planets in our gal can use roids, cause i can easily cover them. And if they have more roids to protect, well it's logical to give priority to their defence. Ofc. if i defend other people who have lots of roids and let them piggy my attacks, i expect something in it for me as well. Let them fill the gal fund for instance.
Thus a roid bank is born. Did i break any rules there?
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2003, 11:09   #21
Wombat
MAdnRisKy

Wombat is an unknown quantity at this point
no I guess it isn't if it's done without "moving" the roids via friendly means, but if you get an ally to come get the roids of the guys wishing to "deposit" into the bank, from which the bank will then send pods to collect then that IS illegal.

Oh and btw the roid bank worked much better when you could donate in gal easily so the bank sent all their resources to the other guys keepign little for themselves as that kept them a low score and the bnak usually wasn't getting the roids anyway.

In these rounds you can't donate out of the fund when you go past a certain % of gal score or something so it becomes impractical anyway.

Btw Wombat = MAdnRisKy incase anyone hadn't caught on yet, hence why I'm replying to yoru post.